BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
H
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should have had the Millennium Falcon crash into the Starkiller base golf course.  I was wondering if they made that scene after HF wrecked that nice old PT-22 WW II trainer.

I thought it was good, not great.  The very end was maybe a bit of a let down.
Where was that filmed by the way, with the rock steps going up the mountain?  Was some of that Skara Brea?

Space Nazis.  I hate these guys.
View Quote

Skellig Rock, of the coast of Ireland.  Read up on it, interesting history... Especially in context of the Jedi temple
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Took my mom and brother to see it yesterday.  Overall it was a great movie.  However it left me with mixed emotions.  The plot, basically EPIV, felt like Max Von Shadows character could have been explained better.  Of course the Han Solo part left me less than happy, knew it would happen but still sucked.  And the ending was such a tease/let down?  30 years I have waited to see Luke and he doesn't even get to speak!  

Other than that great movie just felt like the under delivered on the old characters, well except when Chewie goes nuts after the Han scene.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw it yesterday with my brother and my 7 year old.

Loved it. The fighter action was very satisfying, and a lot more stormtroopers got smoked.

Poe was funny/sharp, looking forward to his character being developed.

The weak/out of place part of the movie was the scene on Han Solo's cargo ship, with the gangs and those creatures. Kinda lame.

It made me feel like a kid again, something the prequels never did

9/10
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This might be my favorite movie of all time. Definitely worth springing for the IMax 3d. Wish some of those asshole on fb didn't post pictures of the twist like part near the end.

Closest thing I can give as example of me watching this film

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm kind of disappointed that Leia in VII doesn't seem to have any midich.  er, Force.  Only her son does.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm kind of disappointed that Leia in VII doesn't seem to have any midich.  er, Force.  Only her son does.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imax - saw it 'cause I was bored.  Fun cartoon, rehash of the original for young'uns who weren't around back in 77.

2 funny things overheard on exiting:

- A hipster dyke SJW was railing loudly to her pink haired friend about the politically incorrect inclusion of First Order as Nazis imagery.  

- A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space
View Quote

No joke: while my brother and I were standing in line (by then we were at the front of the line for the showing we saw) people watching and shooting the breeze, and we saw a chubby gross girl with a "FEEL THE BERN" hoodie on. She shuffled up to the guy at the gate and asked him where the line for the 8:30 showing started. He pointer to our line, which had grown to several hundred people by this time. She turned to him and I kid you not, said "that's not fair!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Further - and this is pure speculation on my part so no spoiler tag - that could be one of the twists for later in the movie series... maybe she has more Force powers than she lets on?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I definitely need to give it another watch. I thought it was amazing. I think it moved a little too fast and certain changes made me miss the old star wars like the saber sounds and such but I went in with an open mind and came out just as excited as when it started. The comic relief was laid on a bit heavy but it got me chuckling.  I need to see it a few more times before I can even think to rank it against the others but I can tell you now, I'd put it pretty high up on the list.

Really, it was much of exactly what I originally did not want it to be, and that's ok because I liked it, a lot. It's funny, Eps 1-3 seem so foreign to me now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No joke: while my brother and I were standing in line (by then we were at the front of the line for the showing we saw) people watching and shooting the breeze, and we saw a chubby gross girl with a "FEEL THE BERN" hoodie on. She shuffled up to the guy at the gate and asked him where the line for the 8:30 showing started. He pointer to our line, which had grown to several hundred people by this time. She turned to him and I kid you not, said "that's not fair!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imax - saw it 'cause I was bored.  Fun cartoon, rehash of the original for young'uns who weren't around back in 77.

- A hipster dyke SJW was railing loudly to her pink haired friend about the politically incorrect inclusion of First Order as Nazis imagery.  

Megaplex theaters let you purchase and select your seat online.   No way would I stand in line for a movie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I definitely need to give it another watch. I thought it was amazing. I think it moved a little too fast and certain changes made me miss the old star wars like the saber sounds and such but I went in with an open mind and came out just as excited as when it started. The comic relief was laid on a bit heavy but it got me chuckling.  I need to see it a few more times before I can even think to rank it against the others but I can tell you now, I'd put it pretty high up on the list.

Really, it was much of exactly what I originally did not want it to be, and that's ok because I liked it, a lot. It's funny, Eps 1-3 seem so foreign to me now.
View Quote

I saw it for a second time yesterday when I took my 8 yr old daughter and 14 yr old step-daughter.  They both loved it.  I liked it better the second time around and I really liked it the first time.  I would rank it tied for second in the series with ANH, behind ESB.  I understood things better the second time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Megaplex theaters let you purchase and select your seat online.   No way would I stand in line for a movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only bad part is....NO STUB

I realized as I sat in the theater...weeping softly
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you step back and say....

TFA is fan fiction made by a fan, for fans, but with a budget only God or Disney could provide.

It is a beautiful thing, made in spite of Lucas.
View Quote

I think actual fans could've made this movie much better.  To me, this movie had everything I hate about modern cinema.  There were things I loved about it, but the more I think on it, the more I think it was done half-assed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It definitely was. But I loved it for that, and for the fact that it was obviously a retelling, but also completely original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The movie was Episode IV redone.  Big disappointment.  If you had never seen the original New Hope, this would be awesome, but the story was the same.

It definitely was. But I loved it for that, and for the fact that it was obviously a retelling, but also completely original.

Star Wars does NOT need a remake.  If there's ONE SINGLE DAMN MOVIE series that can stand on its own throughout the years, it's this. Why does everybody love freaking remakes nowadays?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm curious if the next movie will follow the storyline of ESB....
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

She looked like straight CGI to me.  I was kinda disappointed in that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lupita Nyong'o Was incredible as Maz.  Holy crap that was impressive.

+1. She was excellent, even taking into account that Maz was done via motion capture.

Likewise, Andy Serkis was awesome as Supreme Leader Snokes, another one done via motion capture.

{Ahnold} Kylo Ren is one ugly motherfucker. {/Ahnold}

She looked like straight CGI to me.  I was kinda disappointed in that.

Both characters were awful in that regard.  It'll be worse in about 2 years when you watch it again and notice how terrible it looks on a smaller screen.*

*see every cgi movie made for reference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
The movie sucked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
AS far as the whole "remake" thing goes, I actually didn't mind at all that the plot was so alike. The whole movie just worked in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Casting the new Vader as a skinny goth dude who breaks computers when angry just seemed poor. The real Vader was big, with armor, and killed people. This new little punk just throws a temper tantrum and breaks toys.

Pretty much all the new heroes seemed like crap, like they were kids trying to copy mommy and daddy. Sadly it's a good reflection of modern society. My generation sucks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The movie sucked.
View Quote

I bet you're really fun at parties.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Casting the new Vader as a skinny goth dude who breaks computers when angry just seemed poor. The real Vader was big, with armor, and killed people. This new little punk just throws a temper tantrum and breaks toys.

Pretty much all the new heroes seemed like crap, like they were kids trying to copy mommy and daddy. Sadly it's a good reflection of modern society. My generation sucks.

View Quote

"Whine, it copies too much from the original."

"Whine, it changed too much from the original."
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was not a Megaplex theater.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think actual fans could've made this movie much better.  To me, this movie had everything I hate about modern cinema.  There were things I loved about it, but the more I think on it, the more I think it was done half-assed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you step back and say....

TFA is fan fiction made by a fan, for fans, but with a budget only God or Disney could provide.

It is a beautiful thing, made in spite of Lucas.

I've only seen on other new movie in a theater since 2011 (Minions), so I don't have too much to compare it to.

I thought it was great, and I could almost feel George Lucas' hate and anger at someone else writing it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I think a lot of people convinced themselves it sucked before they saw it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Why do the Rebellion's uniforms look like exactly like extras from Dr. Zhivago?  The military base looked like a bunch of Bolsheviks running around black X-Wings.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, wild speculation theory... gonna throw it out there and go on record.

Rey is Leia's daughter from a non-Han Solo father.  Han never knew.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big reveal from Episode VIII

Chewbacca is Rey's father.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

She'll blame it on that sweet, sweet cocaine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Death sticks are a hell of a drug....
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
The only one good thing in TFA is that it makes the prequels decent flicks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're stoned.  Manos: the Hands of Fate couldn't make the prequels decent flicks.  TFA is ten times the film any of the prequels were.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Give him time...............If you remember, Vader ( as portrayed in the Phantom Menace and onward) went from a little whiny kid, to a whiny teenager, to an adult with rage issues after Palpatine tells him he kills Padme..........I'd suspect that Ren will develop over time into a purely evil character with the same disregard for life that Vader had

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
You know, to each their own and all, but a lot of people here have to either be high or miserable.

Then again, this is arfcom, it's not tier 1 to be happy or enjoy things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why do the Rebellion's uniforms look like exactly like extras from Dr. Zhivago?  The military base looked like a bunch of Bolsheviks running around black X-Wings.  

View Quote

I didn't get that vibe at all.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to be careful putting your clothes on. You're so edgy you might cut them up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're stoned.  Manos: the Hands of Fate couldn't make the prequels decent flicks.  TFA is ten times the film any of the prequels were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. he has to be on something.

this movie was easily 10 times better than  the shitty prequels.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously. I can see why some people may dislike certain aspects, but the film was great. Normally I'd say to each their own but posts like that make me wonder if they are just trolling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seriously. I can see why some people may dislike certain aspects, but the film was great. Normally I'd say to each their own but posts like that make me wonder if they are just trolling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, Hanlon's razor comes to mind.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There was a "brown person" X-Wing pilot in RotJ during the attack on Death Star II, as far as I know his name was never mentioned, which is a good thing because it probably would have been Rando given George Lucas' lack of imagination when it comes to names, which would have solidified that the Calrissians are pretty much it.

There was also an "Asian-AmericanRebellion" A-Wing pilot in the same battle, he had pink goggles, his name was never mentioned either, which is also a good thing because (again, since Lucas sucks at coming up with names) it would probably have been Geo Ta-Kei. Pink googles, oh my!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space

I expect Finn to be the son of Lando, the only other "brown person" in space.

There was a "brown person" X-Wing pilot in RotJ during the attack on Death Star II, as far as I know his name was never mentioned, which is a good thing because it probably would have been Rando given George Lucas' lack of imagination when it comes to names, which would have solidified that the Calrissians are pretty much it.

There was also an "Asian-AmericanRebellion" A-Wing pilot in the same battle, he had pink goggles, his name was never mentioned either, which is also a good thing because (again, since Lucas sucks at coming up with names) it would probably have been Geo Ta-Kei. Pink googles, oh my!

I am now forever going to refer to the black x-wing pilot in ROTJ as Rando Token.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am now forever going to refer to the black x-wing pilot in ROTJ as Rando Token.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 5ish YO asked his dad if there really were "brown people" in space

I expect Finn to be the son of Lando, the only other "brown person" in space.

I'm partial to simply , "To Ken"
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Not going to be Landos kid.  They basically said these kids were raised to be soldiers.  Suggesting a breeding program of sorts.  Lando wouldn't have handed his kid over to the new order.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not going to be Landos kid.  They basically said these kids were raised to be soldiers.  Suggesting a breeding program of sorts.  Lando wouldn't have handed his kid over to the new order.

View Quote

I do hope we at least find out what happened to Lando anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He went on to do Colt-45 commercials.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BlasTec 44 Malt Liquor?

I'd totally buy it.

Someone at the Pabst company needs an email.  They're sitting on a geek gold mine.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I expect - maybe just hope - that rumors about Billy Dee Williams being approached for a role in the next movie to start sometime in the next 6 months.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if JJ might have been throwing a little bone to Kevin Smith by having Finn be a sanitation specialist before donning the stormtrooper uniform.

RANDAL: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
View Quote

ETA: Kevin Smith is in the credits for providing "additional voices" which makes this even more likely.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

My biggest beef with the story:
       Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm curious if the next movie will follow the storyline of ESB....
View Quote

JJ isn't involved so probably not.
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top