Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 8/29/2022 2:04:59 PM EDT
Now OFFICIAL Chainsaw Thread!

And post pics of your setup. Running all stock? Upgrades? Did you swap to a different bar? Chain?

Also please stop by this thread, take part! Hold off on that upgrade and send money so the kids have one less thing to worry about for Christmas!
Tis the season! Donate for the kids!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The GD told me I needed to purchase something called CHAPS if I plan on using a chainsaw. I had to Google what CHAPS were. I never knew you had to purchase special attire to run a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The GD told me I needed to purchase something called CHAPS if I plan on using a chainsaw. I had to Google what CHAPS were. I never knew you had to purchase special attire to run a chainsaw.
View Quote

Every seen what a saw will do to flesh when it kicks back ? I have not pretty . Chaps prevent hamburger
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No one else cuts wood around here?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My saws are stock but Id like to fix that. Any suggestions on who to send an old 026 for woods porting? She could use just a bit more grunt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Stihl MS 362 with a 20" and a 25" bar and a Stihl 170.  The most important thing is to keep your head in the game when using a saw.  One moment of inattention and the cut in these jeans on the right leg and the nick on the left happened.  I can't explain it but the bar didn't draw blood,  I had chaps in the house, now I won't light up the 362 without wearing them.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Just tuned these the other day.  The 460 is stock but the 361 I popped a couple holes in the exhaust.  Certainly woke it up a bit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't have to, but you really should. Eye pro is also a recommeded thing. I have 18 stiches that wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing chaps.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ms 400 is what I am using. It's an awesome saw that puts a smile on my face after years of running underpowered crap. I use a 20" and a 25" bar.

The lightweight bars would be nice, but I hate to replace mine while they still work.

Yes, chaps are worth using. They are hot this time of the year, but it's better than the alternative.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I snaggled a 16" Craftsman gas 2 stroke chainsaw from Dirt cheap for $50 and then I found a Poulan Pro 16" on the side the road in a junk pile that all it needed was the main jet backed out a lil bit 2 stroke.

All stock, it holds it's value better when all stock.

Albeit, first thing I do is take the stock chain off to store it along with the stock bar. Then I ass the same exact chain and bar but from the store.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Every seen what a saw will do to flesh when it kicks back ? I have not pretty . Chaps prevent hamburger
View Quote

I've seen what chainsaws do to flesh and how fast it can happen.  We cut a long ways from medical care, chaps are a must when the alternative means you bleed out in minutes.

My gear:

Main saw is MS291, 20" bar, stock.  Also have 2 "vintage" Homelites.  The SuperEZ was my dad's and is as old as me.  It runs well and is the best sounding saw of the group.  The XL is my limbing and climbing saw.  

Not shown is my just-for-fun project, an MS660 clone PoS.  It has a 36" bar for occasional big trees.  Don't have many here, but cottenwoods near the rivers can be 3-4ft in diameter at the base.  A little too much for a 20" bar.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Stihl MS180CBE-currently 16" bar, I have a 12" and chains hanging in the shop for when I wear out the last 16"

Stihl MS391-20"

Both saws are stock.  I use the 180 all the time for shit around the house, and some firewood. 391 is strictly firewood.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have three.

2 MS461s, which are ported and their mufflers have been modified. One wears a 28" bar and is my "all around" saw. The other (which is more robustly ported) hangs a 32" bar nearly full time.

The third is a 661 and it is by far my favorite saw. Wears a 32" or a 36" depending on the areas I am working in. Sadly, they're all in pieces on my bench getting a deep clean.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Stihl MS251 that is stock apart from usually running the more aggressive chain.  I used it fair amount for cutting up a bunch of logs for a few years and it started getting really tough/impossible to start.  Messed around with it for a while and took it to my local Ace hardware (where I bought it) and they ended up replacing some little part inside the air filter that is apparently prone to getting clogged.  It runs better now but it still tough to get started.  It also developed some kind of an exhaust leak which makes Nomex gloves necessary.

I’m not too thrilled with how difficult it can be to start but once warmed up it runs like a champ.  I would complain but I used it pretty hard cutting up some heavy oak logs and ran it long and hard for a pretty basic entry consumer level saw.  Running the expensive canned gas through it the whole time so likely not a gas issue.  The more aggressive chain does make a noticeable difference when cutting.  I keep a half dozen chains around because when I’m busy cutting I don’t wanna take time to sharpen them and some of the wood I cut will dull a chain surprisingly quickly.

Wearing eye protection of some type is a must and I recommend chaps and heavy boots.  No close calls but the chainsaw is the one outdoors tool which really deserves some respect.

One other thing is that I recently borrowed a neighbors chain saw on a stick/pole trimmer and without the pole attached that little lightweight electric chainsaw is super handy.  Gonna probably pick one up here at some point.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Stihl 500i
Cannon bar
Egan...
Straight Shot
Felling dogs
Uni air filter
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Stihl MS271 with 16" and 18" bar, it cuts like butter, I love using this thing. I let a friend borrow it to cut down a bunch of trees on his property, he commented on how well it ran too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm out here right this moment clearing our property for a driveway and house site. I'm alone, and the nearest ER is 60 miles away.

Guaranteed I'm wearing chaps, gloves and a helmet. Would suck to bleed out in less than a minute.

ETA to answer the question: I had a small Homelite for years, with a 14" bar (I think), it was good enough for around the house and it finally got worn out. I got this Stihl MS 250 last fall, this is the first time I've had it out. Lightyears ahead of the homeowner-style saw I had before. Plus I have the aforementioned Husky gloves and chaps, and a Stihl helmet/face shield/ear pro combo, and safety glasses. And steel toe boots.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Two dirty, well used 261s here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if you, ya know, value your femoral artery.  I'm hardly a safety sally, but protective chaps/pants and a face mask are kinda minimum for running a chainsaw.  

For those who don't want to volunteer for natural selection.

ETA: In answering OPs question:  I have three saws.  A tiny Stihl (like beginner homeowner version), a mid-grade Husky, and then a Husky 562XP (with a spare 24" powermatch bar).  The 562XP is still sitting in the box and really is only around in the event of some kind of natural disaster (which has occurred in my area) and I need something larger and more capable to get things going again.  The mid-grade Husky gets most of the duties.  

I also arm-up with Haix Chainsaw boots, Pfanner pants and a jacket, and a Husqvarna helmet/mask.  I can easily justify the cost because my hourly rate of not working (professional office job) is a lot higher than a few hundred dollars in protective gear.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
makita/dolmar master race checking in. sugihara and tsumura bars

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
MS 261. No mods but I do have 16” and 20” bars and chains.

Wear chaps most of the time but sometimes take chances when it is hot. I was cutting some smaller limbs out of an Elm tree today so I can mow under it without having to lean sideways. Pretty damn hot and humid so I did it in shorts and regular shoes. I was extra careful though especially since I was on an extension ladder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Muff modded Stihl 200 rear handle, MMWS 261 and 461. Stihl es light bars on the last 2.

If interested in builders who do woods porting, visit
https://opeforum.com/forums/chainsaws.33/
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Dolmar 6401
Stihl 010 AV
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
makita/dolmar master race checking in. sugihara and tsumura bars

View Quote

This. I have an "old" home Depot rental saw.(dcs6401) I bought it with the intention of putting the 88cc jug and piston on it but it runs like a raped ape with the 20" bar and full comp. semi chisel chain so I haven't messed with it. It even still has the muffler with the cat intact. I've thought about picking up a ~24" bar for it for when I run into the bigger stuff though. The sugihara lw bars look awesome, but I'd probably cry if I mangled one. Lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Stihl 180, 271, 362 & 500i....all the powerheads are stock.  If you plan to use the saw a lot, buy a pro series saw.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You don't have to, but you really should. Eye pro is also a recommeded thing. I have 18 stiches that wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing chaps.
View Quote

Agree. Always wear helmet with ear and eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Husqvarna 357xp 24" bar. Modded cylinder with larger exhaust and higher compression.

Husqvarna 372xp 28" bar. Modded exhaust.
View Quote

More details on this please.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Guess I'm the only Echo fan here.  

Kind of "pro-sumer" grade, which is what 99% of users are.  

If you have a good dealer around.  Not that you will need it.  Like for a Stihl.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I currently have only a Stihl MS 170. It's a 16" that's done all I've asked of it, so far. I would like a larger, more powerful one, though. Maybe something in the 20" range. I'll definitely buy another Stihl.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Husky 460 w/ 24” sugi bar.
No mods for it that I know (fucking epa I guess)
90% of the time I wear chaps, helmet/ face shield and muffs always wear heavier boots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out Sugihara bars.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#33]
What kind of wood and how much wood are you going to cut?

Budget?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Muff modded Stihl 200 rear handle
View Quote

That is a very scarce saw.  Not many made, and anyone that has one, keeps it.

I have four of them.

Tony

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Stihl: 18” MS 261, 16” MS290(for back up). Both are stock except for chain upgrades. The 261 is my favorite saw ever.

I cut my knee open from a slowing chain. Chaps are a must wear item now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do a google image search for chainsaw injuries. You'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]
50 year old Homelite SXLAO I inherited from my grandfather. Factory 16" bar with an Oregon chain (and 2 Oregon professional chains in reserve) carb rebuild, solid state ignition chip, new starter spring and amsteel blue pull rope, custom handgaurd and felling teeth.  Absolutely screams as it throws chunks of wood.

I'm back and forth on getting a "big bore" kit off ebay... I have enough projects though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#40]
IMO, more important than which saw you get, is that you also own a few chains and something like this:

May or may not be made in China

Very obviously made in China
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I imagine this one has been mod'd.  But its a Husky.....they make saws for girls.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I imagine this one has been mod'd.  But its a Husky.....they make saws for girls.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq13WPV.jpg?1

View Quote

Inkie or not she is damn sexy woman.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And post pics of your setup. Running all stock? Upgrades? Did you swap to a different bar? Chain?
View Quote

Mostly stock.

Three saws:
Husky 550 XP Mk II.  Running the OEM 18" bar but did swap in a 20" Oregon bar for a few months of work over the winter.
Husky 572XP.  Running the OEM 24" bar, but do swap in a 28" Husky bar on occasion.

Not that I wanted an electric saw, but HD was clearing them out and it has the same battery as my leaf blower:  EGO 18".  All stock, but its OEM stuff is Oregon.  The thing is surprisingly handy and convenient.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Stihl 271 Farm Boss with 20" bar. Runs pretty well and cuts great with the aggressive chain. I was on a budget when I got it. I need to get a new bar as this one is a slight bit twisted from a branch pinching it. I usually make sure I have enough work to run a tank through it and then put it up dry.

I think the next saw I get is going to be a DeWalt battery saw to go with my tools. I have a shit-ton of small branches and smaller trees that I can use that for instead of getting the Stihl out. Save the bigger gas saw for the need.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Stihl. Many of their chains and bars are made in USA. Most made in Germany. No modifications needed. They run great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Love me some Echo~

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Makita 7900 bought new this past winter. Went with them because seemed like a good value and they haven't loaded it up with electronics.

20" bar, an inexpensive Archer bar and chain.

Will be ordering a 32" bar soon, and a setup to do some milling. Will get a higher quality bar and chain for that, could use some recommendations.

Will get a smaller saw down the road as well, that's just not quite at the top of the wish list yet, though my arms sure get a workout from doing everything with the 7900.

I read a lot of people do some work on the exhaust for these, removing some emissions related stupid from the muffler to get some more power and cooler operating temp.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#49]

I went with the Oregon model.  Not cheap, but I can turn around chains very quickly
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

My wife with the big saw.

- Husqvarna 3120xp - opened up muffler
- Husqvarna 390xp - ported muffler and velocity stack intake
- Husqvarna 372xp OE - machined and ported
- Husqvarna 550XP - stock
- Echo 2511T - woods port and muffler mod
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top