Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got back from the stihl store, they had a safety bag on sale with all the safety gear in it. I am tired of the 'safety squint'

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That first picture is what you show the ER doc when he asks how you managed to get hurt....."my wife was distracting me"

It's good to see another wife out working during wood season....my wife loves to cut wood.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That first picture is what you show the ER doc when he asks how you managed to get hurt....."my wife was distracting me"

It's good to see another wife out working during wood season....my wife loves to cut wood.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/IMG_0587-2587231.jpg
View Quote

Winning
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What was that company that used to sell the Stihl copy saw kits?  I searched and can't seem to find them any more. Hertlz or Hutzle or something like that?    Did they go out of business?

Thought it might be fun to pick up one of those knock off saw kits and build one to tinker with.

View Quote

Holzfform / Farmertec / Hutzl

Here is a pic of my MS660 Stihl CLONE that I built from a box of Farmertec parts from eBay for $300. This has a 36" Forester bar that I run on an Alaskan chainsaw mill. Fun project, lots of power, glad to be able to put something together like that. I'm not a pro user, so I probably would have never walked into a Stihl dealer and dropped $1200 on a saw.

Alaskan Chainsaw mill Farmertec 066

I was impressed with the 660 clone so I then purchased an assembled Holzfforma G444 (MS 44 magnum clone). I've been running a 24" bar on it. I really like it and I have cut a lot of wood with it. Lots of dead ash in my area. These rounds were just larger than the 24" bar.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
42:1 Belray H1R / Non ethanol is what I use in anything that takes mix gas.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Run 40 to 1 for winter and 50 to 1 in summer but if it is hot I run 40 to 1.

Saws are tuned for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What all is installed for the winter kit?  I assume the blue guard is to help keep snow out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winter kit is installed and ready for this weekend.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52477204565_dc03a7e540_b.jpg

What all is installed for the winter kit?  I assume the blue guard is to help keep snow out?

That and special air filter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I spent $639.50 yesterday on a backpack blower.

View Quote

@FDC  Same here.  Man that thing is so much stronger than my handheld.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent $639.50 yesterday on a backpack blower.

It put a smile on my face.

Going from a cordless to an 80cc backpack blower.

Link Posted: 11/4/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you like your blower.

Are there going to be any Stilh Days this year. My dealer said probably not with the supply issues.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a friendly reminder:

Fuel line, did you check the fuel line for rot?

Me neither . but its fixed now. dang Husqvarna  
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Damn you, can't argue with her
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There should be no shirt...just suspenders....c'mon man....
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Remember, it is not quantity but rather quality
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Sold!, I am now a Husqvarna guy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It put a smile on my face.

Going from a cordless to an 80cc backpack blower.

https://i.postimg.cc/2SkyM2nY/IMG-1616.jpg
View Quote

Damn.

You can 'Ghostbuster' boulders with that thing !
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Cleaned, sharpened, lubed.
Got more to clean and sharpen, also eating bacon and drinking coffee while I sharpen

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Rakers on full comp stihl chain, set at .035
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I needed a small chainsaw to do stuff around the yard. I'm not feeling huge trees or anything. My wife was out so I called her and asked if she could swing by someplace that sells chainsaws and pick up the cheapest 16" saw she could find. I specified unwanted a two stroke saw.

This is what I got:

I was disappointed but did ask her to get me one. I've been using it and it's not bad for small stuff like what I need it for. But if I needed it for anything larger I'd go buy a different saw.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I needed a small chainsaw to do stuff around the yard. I'm not feeling huge trees or anything. My wife was out so I called her and asked if she could swing by someplace that sells chainsaws and pick up the cheapest 16" saw she could find. I specified unwanted a two stroke saw.

This is what I got:

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/6/56938_W21.jpg

I was disappointed but did ask her to get me one. I've been using it and it's not bad for small stuff like what I need it for. But if I needed it for anything larger I'd go buy a different saw.
View Quote

lulz

Self inflicted wound there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is what I got:

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9fc4a8332f9638515cd199dd0f9238da/5/6/56938_W21.jpg

View Quote

That's pretty funny
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]
2stroke dt
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Those disposable containers are a great idea
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Holzfform / Farmertec / Hutzl

Here is a pic of my MS660 Stihl CLONE that I built from a box of Farmertec parts from eBay for $300. This has a 36" Forester bar that I run on an Alaskan chainsaw mill. Fun project, lots of power, glad to be able to put something together like that. I'm not a pro user, so I probably would have never walked into a Stihl dealer and dropped $1200 on a saw.

https://i.imgur.com/DipzemA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qokm83v.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcvjWWopS4

I was impressed with the 660 clone so I then purchased an assembled Holzfforma G444 (MS 44 magnum clone). I've been running a 24" bar on it. I really like it and I have cut a lot of wood with it. Lots of dead ash in my area. These rounds were just larger than the 24" bar.

https://i.imgur.com/xxeMzab.jpg
View Quote

How long did it take to assemble? We’re there any hiccups?
What did you get for an Alaskan mill?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#27]
According to AS gurus, the standard for modding the muffler on a stock 026/260 is to enlarge the factory outlet to 3/8" and drill a 3/8" hole above and below the factory outlet for a total of 3 outlets. This is apparently a formula based on piston diameter and/or port area.

Larger than this supposedly makes them idle funky.

This is supposed to really perk them up. I have not cut with it yet but I usually open up the muffler on every saw. I have not looked but some have a carb without a H jet/screw, the fix is a Walbro WT194 carb which came on some of them factory. I will look today to see what this one has.

The only actual problem I found is a bad oil cap so I ordered a set of new genuine Stihl fuel/oil caps. Found a guy selling once used 325/74dl Stihl RM yellow chains for $20 so ordered a couple.

Has been really warm here for about a week so no wood has been burned.

Stolen pic of mods

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Last chain sharpening for the weekend.
36" full comp takes a while.
Now on to more fun saw stuff.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a hell of a time starting my 261m Friday.  I had run it dry last summer and all it wanted to do was flood.  Let it set overnight and it started right up and ran like a top yesterday.  I figure I won’t use the cold start setting after running it dry.  It probably was still trying to riches it up and didn’t know I had refueled it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Gasket making time
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought this 10 years ago when I was planning on moving to Idaho.  Still NIB.  Someday I might need it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone run leaner oil mix in their saws because synthetic oil is supposedly so good?  Amsoil saber claims 100:1
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#33]

I will give you $87 for it, and pay the shipping fee.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone run leaner oil mix in their saws because synthetic oil is supposedly so good?  Amsoil saber claims 100:1
View Quote

If anything I will run richer.  Spark plugs are cheap.

Recommend 50:1 I will use these 50:1 or 40:1 even mix my own to 45:1
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
According to AS gurus, the standard for modding the muffler on a stock 026/260 is to enlarge the factory outlet to 3/8" and drill a 3/8" hole above and below the factory outlet for a total of 3 outlets. This is apparently a formula based on piston diameter and/or port area.

This is supposed to really perk them up. I have not cut with it yet but I usually open up the muffler on every saw. I have not looked but some have a carb without a H jet/screw, the fix is a Walbro WT194 carb which came on some of them factory. I will look today to see what this one has.

The only actual problem I found is a bad oil cap so I ordered a set of new genuine Stihl fuel/oil caps. Found a guy selling once used 325/74dl Stihl RM yellow chains for $20 so ordered a couple.

Stolen pic of mods

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49561/FD83638A-161D-4FB9-AFCF-0908E7BF4C27_jpe-2589527.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stolen pic of mods

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49561/FD83638A-161D-4FB9-AFCF-0908E7BF4C27_jpe-2589527.JPG

3/8 seems to be the popular size even with most Husqvarnas as well.

Quoted:
Last chain sharpening for the weekend.
36" full comp takes a while.
Now on to more fun saw stuff.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/05CC7AAD-4E55-4633-97B2-EAA1CFD29E0E-2589795.jpg

You soaking () in atf?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oil is cheap, oil is also cheap insurance.

40:1 on a percentage of the fuel mix to air is very minimal BUT the added lubrication is better than not enough. Always adjust your carb for peak performance and air:fuel unless you have AutoTune and then let the saw do it for you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I ran Stihl orange for years until last year when I read a thread on Arborsite praising Echo Red Armor. So I stopped by my Echo dealer down the road and bought some. So far I love it. It is hard to quantify, but every saw as well as my trimmers/blowers run "better". I can't put my finger on it to a point but I know these tools, I used them professionally in my business for a long time burning gallons of mix per week. They idle better, throttle up smoother and seem to just simply be "better". Take it anecdotally because it is.

According to AS, Red Armor and Amsoil are the only 2 oils they will run at skinnier than 40:1, they say 50:1 for it. These are folks making a living building or running saws. They see a huge cross section of the topic and I trust em. There was a thread recently where the 100:1 Amsoil stuff was brought up, though none of the builder/knowledgeable folks agreed it was safe.

These are the folks who have seen Stihl silver kill bottom ends. I never used silver so no dog in the fight but I have permanently switched to Red Armor.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Checked today, the carb has both screws. I just need to remove the plastic limiters.

Muff mod on the way.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Checked today, the carb has both screws. I just need to remove the plastic limiters.

Muff mod on the way.
View Quote

Damn straight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Time to put these back together, after a carb kit for the MS361.

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You soaking () in atf?
View Quote

It's a custom mix of:
Old bar oil, Echo red armor, diluted with a lil 50:1 premix to thin it out.
Just cause I had it all on hand and wanted a cool red color.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Time to put these back together, after a carb kit for the MS361.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/F727693D-9812-42BD-89F7-F2DF658EDA38-2590531.jpg
View Quote
Where did the gold deflector on the left come from?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where did the gold deflector on the left come from?
View Quote

WCS
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's a custom mix of:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You soaking () in atf?

It's a custom mix of:

I too read on Arborist about Echo Red Armor and going to swing into HD to pick up some as I am due to make some more premix.

---------
Adding:

Snow melted when I got back to this pine
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just don't do that.  Amsoil's ratio claims are bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said, I would still run at 40:1. Synthetic just means it will hold up better but I would rather still have the same amount of oil coating everything.

Oil is cheap compared to a new saw.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#47]

I’d Stihl do her.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Red Armor's average price is $80+ per gallon.

Saw a deal for 4 gallons and thought I'd pass it on. Split it with some buddies or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094WF7BFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How long did it take to assemble? We’re there any hiccups?
What did you get for an Alaskan mill?
View Quote

Mine took a day to assemble.  I had two hiccups.  1) The original case was a short shot and had a void.  They sent me a new one and it took a month to arrive.  2) During the assembly process, I noticed the wrist pin was too long.  Probably the wrong part, but I carefully chucked it in the lathe and turned it down with carbide tooling.  That thing was probably 50-55 Rockwell C.

You'll need a crank puller tool set and a piston ring compressor.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mine took a day to assemble.  I had two hiccups.  1) The original case was a short shot and had a void.  They sent me a new one and it took a month to arrive.  2) During the assembly process, I noticed the wrist pin was too long.  Probably the wrong part, but I carefully chucked it in the lathe and turned it down with carbide tooling.  That thing was probably 50-55 Rockwell C.

You'll need a crank puller tool set and a piston ring compressor.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20221008_135958-2593020.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20221007_192412-2593022.jpg

View Quote

Your post have turned into a cock tease.

I expect more pics!!

Whoops, thought you were the other guy, lol.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top