Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSO5psBVhhI

edit: well.. that didnt go as expected. ill see myself out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red Armor's average price is $80+ per gallon.

Saw a deal for 4 gallons and thought I'd pass it on. Split it with some buddies or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094WF7BFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

A gallon jug let alone 4 gallon jugs of 2 cycle oil is a hell of a lot of oil.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your post have turned into a cock tease.

I expect more pics!!

Whoops, thought you were the other guy, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine took a day to assemble.  I had two hiccups.  1) The original case was a short shot and had a void.  They sent me a new one and it took a month to arrive.  2) During the assembly process, I noticed the wrist pin was too long.  Probably the wrong part, but I carefully chucked it in the lathe and turned it down with carbide tooling.  That thing was probably 50-55 Rockwell C.

You'll need a crank puller tool set and a piston ring compressor.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20221008_135958-2593020.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20221007_192412-2593022.jpg

Your post have turned into a cock tease.

I expect more pics!!

Whoops, thought you were the other guy, lol.

Lol, FWIW:

MS 660 build:

MS 200T build:

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Great pics, thanks for those.
Your opinion on OEM vs China made ?
EDIT: Would you recommend any oem parts to use in a China build ?
Carb, aftermarket piston, etc..

@Rock_Ranger
View Quote

OEM is better quality, hands down.  I've worked in manufacturing for a long time, and there are many little details that make a Stihl saw great.  Stihl will always be my primary saw.

That said, reproducing engines is something China does a decent job at.  The quality difference is in the details. (Like the short shot on my die cast case)  The Farmertec saws are good for a secondary or mill saw, something you can afford to have break down.

I would only recommend you buy one of you are familar with how saws work and go together.  I needed to debur and file parts to improve the fit and finish.  Minor stuff, things that should have been done during the final stages of mfg, but would effect final assembly.  (My brake did not work right because the dies that stamped it were wore out and it left a nasty burr on the edge.  Had to file it off.)

Some people use OEM parts in the build.  I did this for fun, so I used all the provided parts and with a little work, everything went together fine and fired right up faster than expected.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OEM is better quality, hands down.  I've worked in manufacturing for a long time, and there are many little details that make a Stihl saw great.  Stihl will always be my primary saw.

That said, reproducing engines is something China does a decent job at.  The quality difference is in the details. (Like the short shot on my die cast case)  The Farmertec saws are good for a secondary or mill saw, something you can afford to have break down.

I would only recommend you buy one of you are familar with how saws work and go together.  I needed to debur and file parts to improve the fit and finish.  Minor stuff, things that should have been done during the final stages of mfg, but would effect final assembly.  (My brake did not work right because the dies that stamped it were wore out and it left a nasty burr on the edge.  Had to file it off.)

Some people use OEM parts in the build.  I did this for fun, so I used all the provided parts and with a little work, everything went together fine and fired right up faster tham expected.
View Quote

Appreciate the report.
If I did one, it would just be for fun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Appreciate the report.
If I did one, it would just be for fun.
View Quote

One additional point, I really hate all the new EPA features on newer saws like fixed oilers and limited adjustment on the carbs. The clone saws are all older designs with fully adjustable carbs and real chain oilers.

The only Stihl that was truely a disappointment was an edger I was given because it didn't run right.  The carb was 100% non-adjuatable, couldn't even change idle speed.  I replaced it with a Chy-na carb and it ran amazing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One additional point, I really hate all the new EPA features on newer saws like fixed oilers and limited adjustment on the carbs. The clone saws are all older designs with fully adjustable carbs and real chain oilers.

The only Stihl that was truely a disappointment was an edger I was given because it didn't run right.  The carb was 100% non-adjuatable, couldn't even change idle speed.  I replaced it with a Chy-na carb and it ran amazing.
View Quote

Wait, you mean you can't adjust some oilers?  That's news.  To be fair, I don't know that I've checked my new electric pole saw.  Used it all of twice for minimal time, and only checked that oil was coming out at all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait, you mean you can't adjust some oilers?  That's news.  To be fair, I don't know that I've checked my new electric pole saw.  Used it all of twice for minimal time, and only checked that oil was coming out at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The homeowner series saws from Stihl do not have adjustable oilers, can't speak for any other brand.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The homeowner series saws from Stihl do not have adjustable oilers, can't speak for any other brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could also be further price-point-engineering from them.  Pole saw is one thing, but I'm never buying a "homeowner" main saw again.  Had to explain to my wife when I picked a Husky over a Stihl, it wasn't because Husky is better.  I just happened to prefer their stuff, and got a better quality one within the brand, and that I sure as crap could have gotten a cheap Husky.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my MS 291 has a fixed oiler.  The oiler is set at the MINIMUM rate that the older MS 290s could deliver.  It sucks.  I bought a spare oiler pump to figure out how to re-engineer it for more flow.  Hint, it's not easy.  Also the newer saw carbs have limiters on the adjustment screws.  Most of the time you can break them off if you need more adjustment.  It's sad, the 291 is not some joe blow homeowner saw.  It sits in the middle between homeowner crap and the pro saws.  I've thought about selling it for an older 290, but it actaully runs better, just has a shit oiler.  In retrospec, I wish I had bought a MS 261, but I didnt know better at the time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could also be further price-point-engineering from them.  Pole saw is one thing, but I'm never buying a "homeowner" main saw again.  Had to explain to my wife when I picked a Husky over a Stihl, it wasn't because Husky is better.  I just happened to prefer their stuff, and got a better quality one within the brand, and that I sure as crap could have gotten a cheap Husky.
View Quote

545 mkii is the lowest I will go. Never again will I get a consumer saw.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, my MS 291 has a fixed oiler.  The oiler is set at the MINIMUM rate that the older MS 290s could deliver.  It sucks.  I bought a spare oiler pump to figure out how to re-engineer it for more flow.  Hint, it's not easy.  Also the newer saw carbs have limiters on the adjustment screws.  Most of the time you can break them off if you need more adjustment.  It's sad, the 291 is not some joe blow homeowner saw.  It sits in the middle between homeowner crap and the pro saws.  I've thought about selling it for an older 290, but it actaully runs better, just has a shit oiler.  In retrospec, I wish I had bought a MS 261, but I didnt know better at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my opinion Stihl has an odd marketing lineup, the pro saws make sense, the "homeowner" saws make sense but then they have the Farm Boss type saws that they market to be between pro & homeowner.  From a feature standpoint, they're just larger homeowner saws, clamshell designs, non-adjustable oilers....etc.  I say this as someone who's owned a couple 271's.

I won't buy another saw that's not a pro series, I use my saws enough to justify the extra upfront cost.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked in the woods for 15yrs, had 2 stroke motors my whole life, ONLY 50:1, unless you're dumb.??
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I worked in the woods for 15yrs, had 2 stroke motors my whole life, ONLY 50:1, unless you're dumb.??
View Quote

Guess I'm dumb. 40:1 master race.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wonder what mix Trump uses ?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The cheap Poulan is going to see some action today !
Running great now, pretty happy with that part of it, just have to find out how it cuts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4D:1
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well played
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A gallon jug let alone 4 gallon jugs of 2 cycle oil is a hell of a lot of oil.
View Quote
Yes.

I have 2 sold to buddies for $65 each. The remaining 2 will last me a while.

A gallon will make 49 gallons of mix at 50:1

Way cheaper than buying the little bottles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Become UNGOVERNABLE and remove the sticker so anyone can use it
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#24]

So a chainsaw thread that turns in to a chainsaw snob thread ?
We may as well have a Scag mower thread included in this one.

I just thought is was a saw thread and not a dick measuring contest.

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any saw is welcome, as long as it is a chainsaw.

Nobody wants to see stinking mowers here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try not to get butthurt over humor.
I'm not a pro if it helps your feelings.
I will not send dick pics unless you send yours first.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only pics should be saw pics, speaking of which how is the project coming along?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never was a fan of Nixon. LOL

My post was in jest, it's just how things naturally progress here.
You know, like somebody looking for advice about airguns with a budget of $200.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just got back from the stihl store, they had a safety bag on sale with all the safety gear in it. I am tired of the 'safety squint'

https://products.blains.com/600/131/1314772.jpg
View Quote

@TaxPayer77
Did you have to purchase anything to get the $30 off. Thinking about that as Christmas gifts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Holy hell, that just gave me an idea....

The local TSC has a cylinder on clearance, but not sure it has enough force....looks like its limited to around 10-11tons.  I have a 3rd function on my tractor, extra hydraulic hoses and fittings, and a piece of I-beam that should work.
View All Quotes
What's the part number of the cylinder you're looking at?  The link doesn't work.

Cylinder Force and Speed calculator:  https://www.surpluscenter.com/Tech-Help/Hydraulics/Calculators/Cylinder-Force-Speed/
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Once you get a Stihl pro saw, you understand why. Not a pro feller.

Yesterday - my neighbor came over saying he got two saws stuck in a tree that was down, so I was like ok, do you need a third saw? I said don't cut the compression again, start cutting further down to take the weight off and cut the tension side. He thought I was speaking greek. He then ignored my suggestion and started pinching my saw (the third saw) but luckily was able to yank it out without bending the bar.

I haven't pinched a bar in years, but I did let go of my 261 and as the tree fell it kicked and put a hole in the mag case. That tree was all kinds of sktechy, 16-18 inch beech snapped halfway up hung up in a Y of another tree at 90 degrees. I ran for my life without the saw when it started going. Like that remix with, oh lord jesus it's a fayr.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@TaxPayer77
Did you have to purchase anything to get the $30 off. Thinking about that as Christmas gifts.
View Quote

No I didn't have to buy anything. They had a pile of hte bags, could have been just they wanted to move them since the cutting season is about over perhaps with snow in the forecast.

My kids were running around the yard with the gear on like they were darth vader.

The ear muffs are a bit tight. Could just be new and needs breaking in. It is all plastic, helmet is comfy enough. Chaps clip on so that is neat, easy on easy off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Taxpayer. They have it on their Stihl website, so I assume it’s nationwide.
Going by my dealer today.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In my opinion Stihl has an odd marketing lineup, the pro saws make sense, the "homeowner" saws make sense but then they have the Farm Boss type saws that they market to be between pro & homeowner.  From a feature standpoint, they're just larger homeowner saws, clamshell designs, non-adjustable oilers....etc.  I say this as someone who's owned a couple 271's.

I won't buy another saw that's not a pro series, I use my saws enough to justify the extra upfront cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the reasons my old Stihl dealer (RIP Randy) refused to sell the Farm type saws; t was either homeowner or pro.  Of course, I needed a good saw, so Pro it was (MS-362CM).  He said the Farm type saws weren't worth the extra expense.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks Taxpayer. They have it on their Stihl website, so I assume it’s nationwide.
Going by my dealer today.
View Quote

It could have been me, I dropped off two chains to sharpen and sweet talked the lady behind the counter, maybe have been the owner's wife, not sure, they are new ownership so I didn't recognize them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swoosh, it went right over my head.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only pics should be saw pics, speaking of which how is the project coming along?
View Quote

MS361 just needs to be put back together...I've torn it down 3 times to increase intake porting, new piston ring ..etc

Echo 2511T need a final tune for the muffler-mod, gonna tune it with 12" bar, lil saw screams..maybe too much
Mod turned it into a completely different saw, hope it can handle the extra rpm's
Currently in vice sharpening new Oregon chain, I love this lil saw.

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Light weight saws are like skinny gals..I really like em

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don’t climb trees but still want a small top handle….I might have a sickness
View Quote

Non climber as well, a tiny top saw is something you need just for the heck of it.
It can easily be used with 2 hands.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#43]
double
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I feel like an ass. Had 2 people ask me to borrow my saw this morning and turned them down.

I have never had good luck lending out tools of any sort and not about to test that luck today.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I feel like an ass. Had 2 people ask me to borrow my saw this morning and turned them down.

I have never had good luck lending out tools of any sort and not about to test that luck today.
View Quote

Luckily around here, everyone has their own saws.

If I was living in a place where that wasn't a thing I would have a beater loaner saw for junk like that.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

My standard answer is no on tools.
If family (that I like) or really good friend then I will go help them, but not a big loan out guy.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never ever loan out a chainsaw and expect it to be returned intact. Nails, fence, dull chain.  Pays to have an old loaner. I heard a lot of chainsaws have been shipped to Florida for cleanup. People that have never held a chainsaw are buying them regardless of price.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is cool about saws is even the low budget ones can be upgraded. Not everyone needs a pro saw but all saws could use a muffler mod.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

MS361 just needs to be put back together...I've torn it down 3 times to increase intake porting, new piston ring ..etc

Echo 2511T need a final tune for the muffler-mod, gonna tune it with 12" bar, lil saw screams..maybe too much
Mod turned it into a completely different saw, hope it can handle the extra rpm's
Currently in vice sharpening new Oregon chain, I love this lil saw.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/5D493F3E-5252-4395-8ECD-AA02D4520692-2595927.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/5B66EA64-EE89-40A3-8345-612BFDA0A99C-2595928.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/5B8BA28F-ED1D-43AA-AB48-AC227C339A42-2595929.jpg
View Quote

I don't know why but I am most impressed with this Echo saw, maybe it is that muffler job.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If family (that I like) or really good friend then I will go help them, but not a big loan out guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I refer people to Home Depot if they are looking for a loaner.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top