User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Inexperienced people with a chain saw and storm downed trees isn't a situation I would want to enable.   I learned this post-Katrina in Hancock Co.
View Quote

When I was a kid we had a neighbor across the alley from us cutting up a downed tree. The City told him it had to go, so he went and bought a new chainsaw to do the job. He had never used a chainsaw before.
He was about 10 minutes in to de-limbing and the saw caught something and bucked right in to his neck. He bled out and died before the ambulance got there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Raining pretty hard, so didn't tune in the cut, will wait until better weather.
Running great, idles great, new plug and new air filter for tuning.
Ran it hard, full tank of VP 40:1
Out of the cut wot rpm's in pic.

A few observations from a non saw mechanic:
This lil saw was a bit harder and took longer to tune than the MS361 that I have played with, seemed pretty finicky with just a touch of the screws.
It is not broken in yet, should perform even better after a few more tanks.
The exhaust mod and tune was well worth it.

Just a lil bit of throttle lag but not enough to fret over, definitely more than MS 361 which is fast on the trigger.
Running the 500i with its zero throttle lag will spoil ya and make other saws seem slow when hitting em from idle to wide open throttle.
This saw will tune up even better after a few more tanks, at least that's what the tree guys have told me.
It is a lil screamer now, and not that loud, tuning was done in a vice on covered patio.

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This lil saw was a bit harder and took longer to tune than the MS361 that I have played with, seemed pretty finicky with just a touch of the screws.

Just a lil bit of throttle lag but not enough to fret over, definitely more than MS 361 which is fast on the trigger.
Running the 500i with its zero throttle lag will spoil ya and make other saws seem slow when hitting em from idle to wide open throttle.
This saw will tune up even better after a few more tanks, at least that's what the tree guys have told me.
It is a lil screamer now, and not that loud, tuning was done in a vice on covered patio.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/21FE82DA-DC5F-48F1-B164-8734FF1B1DB3-2596544.jpg
View Quote

You need to do a video of it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Soon as I get a good in the cut tune, I will.
I "feel" this dude wants more air.
Replaced clean filter that came with saw (winter/snow filter) with an echo fleece type filter
I think it has reduced the air intake.
EDIT: definitely more restrictive filter, screw that, going back to non-fleece filter..will clean it more often.

I was getting 13,600-14,000 on other filter.
Pics of both filters.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/21FE82DA-DC5F-48F1-B164-8734FF1B1DB3-2596544.jpg
View Quote

The throttle response on the 500i is pretty awesome….mine will be getting a workout today on a 30+” pin oak that fell in a storm earlier this year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

@sierra-def

Had to find channel and remember how to post video, been several years.
Just a teaser to show throttle lag tuned our..happy about that.
It needed more air intake, may modify air box, time will tell.
Will post more video as I proceed.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just modded the 261 CM muffler by removing the screen. It sounds a bit rowdy now. Much better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I feel like an ass. Had 2 people ask me to borrow my saw this morning and turned them down.

I have never had good luck lending out tools of any sort and not about to test that luck today.
View Quote

Feel like ass? Fuck that, nobody borrows my saws. Fucking NOBODY.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a "loaner saw" I picked up used... I'm sure folks expect one of my good saws when they ask to barrow one from me... They get the Poulan Pro though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve had two loaned saws end up straight gassed.  One was a 346xp that had a fresh top end.  No more.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@sierra-def

Had to find channel and remember how to post video, been several years.
Just a teaser to show throttle lag tuned our..happy about that.
It needed more air intake, may modify air box, time will tell.
Will post more video as I proceed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoYzWHPJKC0

View Quote

That idle
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve had two loaned saws end up straight gassed.  One was a 346xp that had a fresh top end.  No more.
View Quote

If I like you enough to loan you a saw….I like you enough to bring my saws and help….aka no loaners.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Chain saws and pressure washer are a big no-no.

I would let my nearest neighbor use a saw because he's more particular than even I am but because he's pretty much just like me, he'd never ask because I don't borrow saws either.

It's a self solving paradox
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chain saws and pressure washer are a big no-no.

I would let my nearest neighbor use a saw because he's more particular than even I am but because he's pretty much just like me, he'd never ask because I don't borrow saws either.

It's a self solving paradox
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday all 2 cycle tools were treated to dumping the fuel for fresh mix, carb tuning and filters cleaned.

My "stump saw", an Echo CS6700 was torn down for a few parts. All is ordered.

It gets abused and asks for more .just as if it has daddy issues and an Only Fans page.

I decided to fix the few things I knew to be wrong with it. Clutch bearing, brake handle and chain adjuster and the little idle screw. $130 worth  

Good saw, never fails to run and gets beat on the regular reckon a little money is worth it to keep her it coming back for more.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I normally tend to help people out. This time I just had a feeling that both guys that asked to borrow the saw would have destroyed it and offer nothing more than "your saw broke" upon returning it.
They were both upset that I wouldn't loan it out and tried to shame me for not giving it up. It bothered me when I posted about feeling like an ass.
No longer bothered by it now, they can go fucking buy their own saws.
Which neither have done.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I normally tend to help people out. This time I just had a feeling that both guys that asked to borrow the saw would have destroyed it and offer nothing more than "your saw broke" upon returning it.
They were both upset that I wouldn't loan it out and tried to shame me for not giving it up. It bothered me when I posted about feeling like an ass.
Which neither have done.
View Quote

That is always what happens, be it a saw or some other tool. I use my tools but I don't abuse them. I would like them to be around 20 years later at least if I can help it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which neither have done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which neither have done.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The throttle response on the 500i is pretty awesome….mine will be getting a workout today on a 30+” pin oak that fell in a storm earlier this year.
View Quote

@fox2008
How did it go?
I’m afraid my dealer will get one in stock and I’ll be $1600 poorer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Guess I'm dumb. 40:1 master race.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked in the woods for 15yrs, had 2 stroke motors my whole life, ONLY 50:1, unless you're dumb.

Guess I'm dumb. 40:1 master race.
My saw porter recommended I run 32:1 in my ported saws.

He must be REAL dumb...

40:1 is my compromise between 50:1 on my stock saws and wee whips, and 32:1 on my ported saws; and has zero negative effects, yet provides more lube for the bottom end.

Also, I only run 100LL in my mix.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel like an ass. Had 2 people ask me to borrow my saw this morning and turned them down.

I have never had good luck lending out tools of any sort and not about to test that luck today.

I have a specific loaner saw. It was a parts saw to have as a backup for the Binford 254XS, that just happened to run great. I like to help my friends, so they can borrow it. If they destroy it, oh well. I can still salvage parts off it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@fox2008
How did it go?
View Quote

If I only had 1 saw to choose from...500i all day long.
Zero buyers remorse.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He must be REAL dumb...

40:1 is my compromise between 50:1 on my stock saws and wee whips, and 32:1 on my ported saws; and has zero negative effects, yet provides more lube for the bottom end.

View Quote

Bet you use a caddy on the golf course
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Zero buyers remorse.
View Quote

Sounds great. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@fox2008
How did it go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@fox2008
How did it go?

If you keep a sharp chain on it, the 500i is hard to beat....I normally run a 25" bar but put the 28" on for this tree due to its size.  Since it was storm blown it had a few smaller trees bent over in it's top and all the trees had a lot of pressure in them.  I spent the first 20 minutes or so relieving pressure on the top of the tree and getting it mostly on the ground while my dad / wife / nephew cleared out a spot for the splitter and SxS & wood trailer with the tractor about 20' from the tree. (luckly the tree fell on a nice flat spot down by the creak.

Once I started cutting trunk up for them to start splitting, my dad couldn't keep the bucked pieces moved to the splitter with the tractor faster than I could cut.  The first few cuts my 28" bar didn't reach all the way across, the rest of the trunk, the bar was just enough to cut it clean from one side....and the 500i never bogged down once.  It's an animal of a saw.....the only complaint I got was from the help....if I was facing away from them the 500i throws a pretty good rooster tail of chips.

I made a 4' x 8' trailer to pull behind my SxS and this tree filled that trailer 3 times and the bed of both mine and my dad's SxS twice.

If you cut a lot of wood, especially bigger wood, go ahead and spend the money.....you won't be disappointed.  (sorry about your wallet )
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Zero buyers remorse.
View Quote

Yep, it's basically the only saw I run now.  I have my 362cm setup with a 20" bar that will get ran occasionally for bucking up smaller stuff, normally by my wife, while I'm working on bigger stuff or dropping trees.  I have a 271 that hasn't been ran in a couple years and the 180 that is what my wife uses to help top out trees sometimes.

I just about bought a 261cm last weekend at Rural King but decided not to, since I rarely pick up my current smaller saws.  The 500i is a light enough saw that it doesn't bother me to run it all day, even in smaller wood.....plus I prefer a 25" bar so I don't have to bend over as much.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#29]
This video has it all.  Ladders, wife unit, power lines, flying branches.

Lucky Lady Avoids Tree Cutting Chaos || ViralHog

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHt3kjT4g-8
View Quote

wtf?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's another one

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHt3kjT4g-8
View Quote

At least he had his safety shirt on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Chainsaws and ladders are things that should not be used together 99.9999% of the time.  Just to show an exception to the rule though.....here is Buckin Billy Ray dropping multiple tress together, from a ladder.

Falling timber off a ladder

For the record, I would not encourage anyone to try this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Chainsaws and ladders are things that should not be used together 99.9999% of the time.  Just to show an exception to the rule though.....here is Buckin Billy Ray dropping multiple tress together, from a ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJeVcNb-lQ

View Quote

That's a good way for me to end up dead.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Buckin knows his shit. His saw collection is impressive to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJeVcNb-lQ

That's a good way for most people to end up dead.....Buckin is a hell of a cutter.....I've learned a lot watching his YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

An amateur can pick up a lot of tips and tricks from him.  

Can also pick up some overconfidence.

He's one of the few youtube channels I subscribe to.

Like a polite version of Mr Rogers, but with chainsaws.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He must be REAL dumb...

View Quote

Downsides to running rich?
Change spark plug a bit more often, but they are cheap.
A bit more 2-cycle oil, but not that much more/
Some more smoke

Running rich is not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckin is cool.

That said, it is still up to the person who is doing the cutting to understand all safety rules when using their chainsaw. But we know how well that works out when people read "pull" on a door and still sit there and try to push.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Buckin is cool.

That said, it is still up to the person who is doing the cutting to understand all safety rules when using their chainsaw. But we know how well that works out when people read "pull" on a door and still sit there and try to push.
View Quote

You might need to open up your standard.....cause I'm sure I've done that more than once.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You might need to open up your standard.....cause I'm sure I've done that more than once.
View Quote

I agree, push/pull is kind of a shitty thing thing for OP to judge us on
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckin is cool.

Did you yell at the door saying "I am pushing!"
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I agree, push/pull is kind of a shitty thing thing for OP to judge us on
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Ordered this for the 500i
And yes I know you can't use the stock cover over it, no big deal to me.
Not a huge fan of the oem filter system, I had already modified mine.

WCS riser and filter

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ordered this for the 500i
And yes I know you can't use the stock cover over it, no big deal to me.
Not a huge fan of the oem filter system, I had already modified mine.

WCS riser and filter

View Quote

I did the Egan Uni filter kit so I could use the stock cover.

I have not stock covers for sale
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did the Egan Uni filter kit so I could use the stock cover.

I have not stock covers for sale
View Quote

Egan makes good stuff.
I considered those, just like this design better and am a WCS fan.
Gonna try to make a neck extension for my lil echo to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Happy Friday
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they are.  So are his axes.  I could watch him file chain for hours.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes they are.  So are his axes.  I could watch him file chain for hours.  
View Quote

Get the gullett
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Listen, friend..."
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top