Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Does stihl still make their chaps in gods plaid?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Question bump, cause I'm not sure.
You should be able to get a 50 bar and chain, 63 might be a bit too much bite for the 025.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is a .43 gauge picco bar too small for my Stihl 025? Was looking for a 16” .50 narrow kerf set up to replace my 18” .63 rollomatic, but it seems maybe the .43 size is more common?

I have a Makita 6100 so just trying to upgrade my little saw a bit

You should be able to get a 50 bar and chain, 63 might be a bit too much bite for the 025.

I have to go by the dealer next week, I’ll see what they have to say
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is a .43 gauge picco bar too small for my Stihl 025? Was looking for a 16” .50 narrow kerf set up to replace my 18” .63 rollomatic, but it seems maybe the .43 size is more common?

I have a Makita 6100 so just trying to upgrade my little saw a bit

Red Beard Saws, has many different adapters for the chain saw bars.  This way you can buy a Stihl or what ever mount bar that you want and put the adapter kit on and mount it on your Makita/Dolmar saw.

I have no first hand experience with said adapters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have trouble getting into the opeforum.com chainsaw forum?(outdoor power equipment)
It hasn’t let me in the last 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is this what you're seeing? I haven't been able to get on either.

Mobile, Chrome

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/Screenshot_20230206_084647_Chrome-2700472.jpg
View Quote

Came back up. I think they had a hacker problem and were doing some internal server upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're a hacker, why would you target that forum?

Anyways, I broke down and bought myself a 20-inch Stihl Light guide bar and full-skip chain the other day for the 362; just need a set of WCS 3-point dogs and it'll be right where I want it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're a hacker, why would you target that forum?

Anyways, I broke down and bought myself a 20-inch Stihl Light guide bar and full-skip chain the other day for the 362; just need a set of WCS 3-point dogs and it'll be right where I want it.
View Quote

Light bar all the bars!

Any reason you went with a skip chain?  I run a 20" full chain on my 362 with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Light bar all the bars!

Any reason you went with a skip chain?  I run a 20" full chain on my 362 with no issues.
View Quote

I already have a full 20, and I like the way the skip 28 cuts on my 461. Plus there's less teeth to sharpen, lol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I already have a full 20, and I like the way the skip 28 cuts on my 461. Plus there's less teeth to sharpen, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light bar all the bars!

Hard to argue with that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Helped my father in law take care of a big standing dead red oak this morning and found a surprise inside.

Almost 10’ of the tree was full of honey bees. Only visible sign of it on the outside was a small hole they flew out of. Luckily it was cool enough they were pretty chill.

Family friend has bees and is going over this afternoon to setup a box and see if he can relocate them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Helped my father in law take care of a big standing dead red oak this morning and found a surprise inside.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/E23EA4FE-7DB0-4EF7-A355-1AAB250AC9E7-2725058.jpg

Almost 10’ of the tree was full of honey bees. Only visible sign of it on the outside was a small hole they flew out of. Luckily it was cool enough they were pretty chill.

Family friend has bees and is going over this afternoon to setup a box and see if he can relocate them.
View Quote

Would kinda suck to be dealing with a sketchy tree and then start getting stung.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Bodark aka Osage orange tree.

Old time tree for making bows and war clubs for tribes.

Course makes good durable fence post etc too

Hard as fucking concrete even when it's green, let it dry a bit and chainsaw chain will throw sparks like flint & steel and its teeth will dull quick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would kinda suck to be dealing with a sketchy tree and then start getting stung.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/E23EA4FE-7DB0-4EF7-A355-1AAB250AC9E7-2725058.jpg

Yea....glad it was cold enough for them to be chill.

It was a monster of a tree but in mostly good shape.  Even with my 32" bar, I still had to cut from both sides of the tree at the stump.....worse part was it had a little back lean....so I spent 20 minutes banging wedges.

The hollow area with the bees was about 30' off the ground.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yea....glad it was cold enough for them to be chill.

It was a monster of a tree but in mostly good shape.  Even with my 32" bar, I still had to cut from both sides of the tree at the stump.....worse part was it had a little back lean....so I spent 20 minutes banging wedges.

The hollow area with the bees was about 30' off the ground.
View Quote

Tree work. Never a dull moment, lol.

362 ready for action.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#16]
OST
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Bros, I'm not a professional logger/faller/arborist but I certainly dabble like most of us in this here thread. Anyways, I'm thinking about building a belt rig to carry wedges, an axe, and a TQ/IFAK. I hesitate to call this a faller's belt rig but the concept is the same.

Anybody else in here with something similar for doing domestic tree work and processing firewood? Kinda trying to justify it to myself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bros, I'm not a professional logger/faller/arborist but I certainly dabble like most of us in this here thread. Anyways, I'm thinking about building a belt rig to carry wedges, an axe, and a TQ/IFAK. I hesitate to call this a faller's belt rig but the concept is the same.

Anybody else in here with something similar for doing domestic tree work and processing firewood? Kinda trying to justify it to myself. [/quote

Damn belt is more of a hindrance for me.
Brush,tundra,snow and other gear make it very bulky/awkward.

I do have a small canvas bag I keep wedges and certain things in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anybody else in here with something similar for doing domestic tree work and processing firewood? Kinda trying to justify it to myself.
View Quote

I'm barely a novice.
I use a bucket
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm barely a novice.
I use a bucket

I usually carry wedges in my pockets and drag an axe around but I've lost wedges like this in the past, and my axe is never in reach when I need to drive a wedge. What's more is not having an IFAK/TQ always handy; that's really the concern. I took a saw to the forearm when I was just a wee lad stumbling around in my grandpappy's shadow. I was barely 7 years old and it scared that man to near-death. My memory of him and what he taught me in my first fifteen years of life mean more to me than anything. I frequently forget the IFAK/TQ when I'm loading up. A few years back, during the aftermath and cleanup of Hurricane Florence, all sorts of horrific stories went around about guys having accidents and dying at the edge of rescue. No excuses. But I hate running saws with stuffed pockets, so a belt rig seems useful.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Husqvarna... Never again. 445xp. Problems right out the gate, hard starting, chain coming off the bar for no apparent reason. Took it in to be serviced and was told that the oiler had burned up from over working it. Got it back and now with the help of a seasoned chainsaw operator, we've witnessed the chain auto tensioning itself; Im having to loosen the chain when the saw heats up like the chain shrunk. I stop working to let the saw cool, adjust and touch up the chain to have it loose right offer tensioning. Definitely at a loss and the warranty shop I'm not pleased with

The echo 400 treated me a hell of a lot better but considering a Stihl, now that this saw has shown to be a piece of shit with warranty and contact support garbage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't usually use wedges at my last house, here there are only a few trees big enough I'd even be able to use one.  So when I did, I'd just whack them with whatever, after grabbing them from either the cardboard box I keep my stuff in, or a canvas bag I'd moved them to for easy carrying.

Now I'm more in the position of needing to figure out how to rig up some trees to guide them in a safe direction.

Not really sure other than a throw kit, some rope and tackle.  Wesspur seems to have some basic kits for a couple hundred, which seems expensive till I think about repairing my house or fencing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I usually carry wedges in my pockets and drag an axe around but I've lost wedges like this in the past, and my axe is never in reach when I need to drive a wedge. What's more is not having an IFAK/TQ always handy; that's really the concern. I took a saw to the forearm when I was just a wee lad stumbling around in my grandpappy's shadow. I was barely 7 years old and it scared that man to near-death. My memory of him and what he taught me in my first fifteen years of life mean more to me than anything. I frequently forget the IFAK/TQ when I'm loading up. A few years back, during the aftermath and cleanup of Hurricane Florence, all sorts of horrific stories went around about guys having accidents and dying at the edge of rescue. No excuses. But I hate running saws with stuffed pockets, so a belt rig seems useful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm barely a novice.
I use a bucket

I bought one of these a few years ago and put it on the belt of my chainsaw chaps....for the price it works pretty good to carry a couple wedges and keep a scrench handy.  I normally keep a few extra wedges in either the SxS or tractor, depending on which I'm using that day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SVZJL4?tag=arfcom00-20

I put one of these on the other side of the belt to hold my axe, it's not a great setup but I basically use it to get from the tractor to the tree I'm cutting without needing to carry the axe.  I think the pouches that put the axe vertical on your back are likely much better but require a dedicated belt setup and I didn't want to make that type of investment.....so I made the poor mans version.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A3WVWGA?tag=arfcom00-20

I also prefer a smaller axe with a 28" handle, if you run a larger axe this setup wouldn't work unless you're really tall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I bought one of these a few years ago and put it on the belt of my chainsaw chaps....for the price it works pretty good to carry a couple wedges and keep a scrench handy.  I normally keep a few extra wedges in either the SxS or tractor, depending on which I'm using that day.

I put one of these on the other side of the belt to hold my axe, it's not a great setup but I basically use it to get from the tractor to the tree I'm cutting without needing to carry the axe.  I think the pouches that put the axe vertical on your back are likely much better but require a dedicated belt setup and I didn't want to make that type of investment.....so I made the poor mans version.

I also prefer a smaller axe with a 28" handle, if you run a larger axe this setup wouldn't work unless you're really tall.
View Quote

I think I'm gonna build a belt rig off a black HSGI rigger's belt I already have; it's got the Cobra buckle and D-ring, and lined with loop. The X suspenders Emdom makes look like they'll work perfectly. Add a Grizzly Peak aluminum wedge keeper and axe scabbard, and an IFAK/TQ, and I'll be ready.

I like the idea of using a rigger's belt with the D-ring for doing small climbing jobs where I don't need a full harness. Been meaning to take an old climbing harness I have laying around and cut the legs and tie-in portion away to use as a seat with the rigger's belt. This is the intention behind the Arc'teryx H-15 rigger's belt and seat. I'd only use this style of "harness" for small shit where I can tie in and preload the anchor while standing on a big branch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm barely a novice.
I use a bucket

WCS pouches, belts, axe sheaths..etc
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Yeah, I know. I like doing shit the hard way tho.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I like doing shit the hard way tho.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm sort of cobbling together some stop the bleed shit to put in fanny packs.  Just a simple TQ, izzy, and quik clot.  Even found an ancient field dressing in my stuff.

Osprey didn't have red on sale, so electric lime is bright enough.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think I'm gonna build a belt rig off a black HSGI rigger's belt I already have; it's got the Cobra buckle and D-ring, and lined with loop. The X suspenders Emdom makes look like they'll work perfectly. Add a Grizzly Peak aluminum wedge keeper and axe scabbard, and an IFAK/TQ, and I'll be ready.

I like the idea of using a rigger's belt with the D-ring for doing small climbing jobs where I don't need a full harness. Been meaning to take an old climbing harness I have laying around and cut the legs and tie-in portion away to use as a seat with the rigger's belt. This is the intention behind the Arc'teryx H-15 rigger's belt and seat. I'd only use this style of "harness" for small shit where I can tie in and preload the anchor while standing on a big branch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a pretty solid setup.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I could only find them in black or orange.

Some really good advice/ info in this thread.

I’ve started logging in a steep canyon on our property and that’s a different ball game than what I’m used to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Got involved with a 36-inch laurel oak yesterday afternoon; quite possibly the largest tree I've decked, I think. Made the face-cut a little deep after chasing it a bit too much on the right side. The wedge was SO stubborn and just would not let go no matter what we did. I just laid a new edge on my chain earlier in the week and it was a bit too hungry, and ended up getting pulled off while I worked to get the face-cut opened up. One of the drive-links got a little boogered and wouldn't go back into the bar rails so the 461 with the 28-inch bar was out of action. I fired the 362 up and finished with it and the new 20-inch bar.

You can see where we ended cutting all the holding wood out of the hinge in the middle and all that was left was at the edges. Stupid mistakes but luckily my aim was good and all the bones were on that side, pulling it in the right direction. I didn't really need the wedge but I slotted it anyway for good measure.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Alls well that ends well
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got involved with a 36-inch laurel oak yesterday afternoon; quite possibly the largest tree I've decked, I think. Made the face-cut a little deep after chasing it a bit too much on the right side. The wedge was SO stubborn and just would not let go no matter what we did. I just laid a new edge on my chain earlier in the week and it was a bit too hungry, and ended up getting pulled off while I worked to get the face-cut opened up. One of the drive-links got a little boogered and wouldn't go back into the bar rails so the 461 with the 28-inch bar was out of action. I fired the 362 up and finished with it and the new 20-inch bar.

You can see where we ended cutting all the holding wood out of the hinge in the middle and all that was left was at the edges. Stupid mistakes but luckily my aim was good and all the bones were on that side, pulling it in the right direction. I didn't really need the wedge but I slotted it anyway for good measure.

https://i.imgur.com/p9KZy9d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uTkGOKZ.jpg
View Quote

Not great....not horrible.

In the end you got the tree down without damage or injury (excluding the chain) so it was win.

I've watched videos of loggers taking down nice veneer trees and they commonly bore out the center of the hinge, similar to what you did, to ensure they don't pull any fiber and lose a few feet of high dollar wood.  Next time just say you did it on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump  1960s 3-Phase Electric Chainsaw - Stihl [Restoration]

1960s 3-Phase Electric Chainsaw - Stihl [Restoration]

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft6EWBQs4f8
View Quote
Restoration disassembly was pretty cool, but son I am disappoint at the performance of that beast.  I expected it to chew up that log lickety-split, but I'm pretty sure my poor man's MS271 would have beaten it handily.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Made for one handed limbing by tree climbing arborist
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Restoration disassembly was pretty cool, but son I am disappoint at the performance of that beast.  I expected it to chew up that log lickety-split, but I'm pretty sure my poor man's MS271 would have beaten it handily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to tell on video but the chain speed seemed slow to me.  It's also possible the chain wasn't super sharp too.

It's an interesting saw though.....I'm assuming the use case for it would be in a saw mill???
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hard to tell on video but the chain speed seemed slow to me.  It's also possible the chain wasn't super sharp too.

It's an interesting saw though.....I'm assuming the use case for it would be in a saw mill???
View Quote
Let's see...

Felling Kit
  • Wedges
  • Axe
  • Rope
  • Block & Tackle
  • PPE
  • Saw
  • 3 phase generator

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I happened to see them on Amazon, but the sole review says they didn't get what was pictures.  So doesn't seem like they are current production.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used a plug in electric saw when we built my brother's log cabin, Don't remember the details, but if that were the only saw you ran you would look at someone running a big pro saw as inhuman.  Nasty, likely due to slow chain speed
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you seen the pictures of the older electric chainsaws?
The cords,saws and generators were huge.

They cut down huge trees with them.

Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I almost bought another saw the other day, a Jonsered 2165.  I've never owned a Jonsered saw, but from what I can tell, they are basically a Husqvarna...and this one is the equivalent of a 365. Not sure what it would do that a Husq 372XP or Stihl 362c couldn't, but I'm a sucker for cheap saws.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I almost bought another saw the other day, a Jonsered 2165.  I've never owned a Jonsered saw, but from what I can tell, they are basically a Husqvarna...and this one is the equivalent of a 365. Not sure what it would do that a Husq 372XP or Stihl 362c couldn't, but I'm a sucker for cheap saws.
View Quote
I have a 2265 equiv to the 562xp.  Bar it uses is the only BIG difference.    Great saws.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a 2265 equiv to the 562xp.  Bar it uses is the only BIG difference.    Great saws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 20" bar for my MS-362CM is getting pretty beat up.  Recommendations for a replacement bar?  Something light, affordable and light?  And best place to buy?  Bailey's is usually my go to sice my local Stihl dealer left the business (RIP Randy!).

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My 20" bar for my MS-362CM is getting pretty beat up.  Recommendations for a replacement bar?  Something light, affordable and light?  And best place to buy?  Bailey's is usually my go to sice my local Stihl dealer left the business (RIP Randy!).

Thanks!
View Quote

20-inch Stihl Light.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a 20” Sugihara on mine, because my Stihl dealer was out of light bars. I think I got it from HL Supply. They run a sale about every month or so.
It’s the middle saw.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I got a 20” Sugihara on mine, because my Stihl dealer was out of light bars. I think I got it from HL Supply. They run a sale about every month or so.
It’s the middle saw.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443141/1E6A322D-238D-4648-A73C-53498258B9CF_jpe-2760140.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It’s the middle saw.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/443141/1E6A322D-238D-4648-A73C-53498258B9CF_jpe-2760140.JPG

Quoted:

20-inch Stihl Light.

Either of these
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#48]
$100 Knockoff vs $550 Stihl Chainsaw? Let's Settle This! Cutting Speed, Horsepower, Cold Start, RPM
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone a member of the two main chainsaw forums?
I’ve bought a couple of really good saws from their classified's section, but it kind of bugs me when they start off an add:
“Perfectly good saw, but a few bolts are missing or missing a top cover and muffler”, or advertising a saw that’s “30 years old or older” or I “have $1000 in this saw”.
All for about the price of a new saw with modern technology.
I’ve always considered chainsaws as tools, but oh well.
Capitalism at its finest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone a member of the two main chainsaw forums?
I've bought a couple of really good saws from their classified's section, but it kind of bugs me when they start off an add:
"Perfectly good saw, but a few bolts are missing or missing a top cover and muffler", or advertising a saw that's "30 years old or older" or I "have $1000 in this saw".
All for about the price of a new saw with modern technology.
I've always considered chainsaws as tools, but oh well.
Capitalism at its finest.
View Quote
What are the two main chainsaw forums?  I'm a member of both Arboristsite.com and Firewoodhoraders.com.  I used to be a member of Outdoor Power Equipment, but haven't logged on in years.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top