Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the two main chainsaw forums?  I'm a member of both Arboristsite.com and Firewoodhoraders.com.  I used to be a member of Outdoor Power Equipment, but haven't logged on in years.
View Quote

I would say arboristsite and OPEforum
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone ever order from Safford Equipment out of Alabama?

They've got a decent price on a bar I want-beat's Bailey's price by about $20ish.

Also, I took a trip way south west from me and ended up in a Runnings.  They are selling Mystik B&C oil for 7.78 a gallon.  It isn't listed on their website, but it was right next to their Harvest King brand in the store.  I only grabbed 2 gallons as I have shelves full of oil right now.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I had to run from a falling tree the other day.  Serves me right for "just a quick cut, and toss the small pieces through the chipper."  You know that time when you think something is so easy you don't have to think?  Been a long time since I was surprised by a tree moving, and had to bolt.  It was a tree up against a pipe rail fence, with the trunk split in two pretty much right above ground.

This is why I'm going to make it a party with the in-laws when I take the trees around the house down.  More eyes to stop me from doing something stupid.  I also bound the bar when cutting up the bits small enough for the chipper to munch on.  

But at least one dying tree is on the ground.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would say arboristsite and OPEforum
View Quote

I was a member of Arboristsite years ago, great bunch of guys. I checked it out recently and didn't see any of the old names around. Found them all on OPEforum.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay gents, finally got my belt getup pieced together. I was initially just looking for an old climbing harness to cut the legs (seat) out of to use with an existing riggers belt I already had, so I called Misty Mountain. These guys make high-end climbing harnesses and riggers belts and other shit right here in NC; I've been climbing in my Misty-made Cadillac harness for years and it's still going strong so I had no qualms spending money on some more Misty gear.

I told the Jonathan what I was looking for and for what purpose and I finally settled on this setup. They offer several riggers belts but I didn't want anything in MultiCam or anything overly tactical. This belt has only the Cobra buckle and a tie-in/belay loop, so I modified a pair of DMM Vaults in order to be able to hang slings, gloves, and my saw from. When you deploy the legs/seat, you connect both with a locker or a small sling like I have here. In fact, I'll probably connect both via my PAS so as to keep the number of carabiners to a minimum.

Everything else is self-explanatory though I would like to swap the black CAT TQ for the safety-orange version for obvious visibility and ID should I not be able to reach and apply it myself, perish the thought. The ATS med tray insert is the same one I share between all my different load-outs and kits, shoved into an HSGI Soft Taco; TQ secured via a BFG TQ Now! strap. Every time I think about going to a different pouch, I always end up coming back to this setup with absolutely zero regrets.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay gents, finally got my belt getup pieced together. I was initially just looking for an old climbing harness to cut the legs (seat) out of to use with an existing riggers belt I already had, so I called Misty Mountain. These guys make high-end climbing harnesses and riggers belts and other shit right here in NC; I've been climbing in my Misty-made Cadillac harness for years and it's still going strong so I had no qualms spending money on some more Misty gear.

I told the Jonathan what I was looking for and for what purpose and I finally settled on this setup. They offer several riggers belts but I didn't want anything in MultiCam or anything overly tactical. This belt has only the Cobra buckle and a tie-in/belay loop, so I modified a pair of DMM Vaults in order to be able to hang slings, gloves, and my saw from. When you deploy the legs/seat, you connect both with a locker or a small sling like I have here. In fact, I'll probably connect both via my PAS so as to keep the number of carabiners to a minimum.

Everything else is self-explanatory though I would like to swap the black CAT TQ for the safety-orange version for obvious visibility and ID should I not be able to reach and apply it myself, perish the thought. The ATS med tray insert is the same one I share between all my different load-outs and kits, shoved into an HSGI Soft Taco; TQ secured via a BFG TQ Now! strap. Every time I think about going to a different pouch, I always end up coming back to this setup with absolutely zero regrets.

https://i.imgur.com/UhuxVID.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B8Dmjfx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f9jjBzs.jpg
View Quote

Looks good.....how do you like the axe setup?  One of these days I need to do something better on that front.

Also....how do you like the Fiskers for driving wedges?  I prefer short axes like that for wedge driving.....I bought the Fiskers after I snapped a wood handle and ended up not liking it for wedges because it's got a pretty small back face.  

It's also entirely possible that you swing an axe more accurately than me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks good.....how do you like the axe setup?  One of these days I need to do something better on that front.

Also....how do you like the Fiskers for driving wedges?  I prefer short axes like that for wedge driving.....I bought the Fiskers after I snapped a wood handle and ended up not liking it for wedges because it's got a pretty small back face.  

View Quote

So far, I like both Grizzly Peak scabbards. The wedge scabbard has a little tongue down inside there that provides tension to keep your wedges stowed. As you can see I only have a pair of 7.5s in there, but normally I keep a 10 in there as well. The ax scabbard is juuust barely bigger than the head which means you gotta be precise when you go to pull it out or stow it. I find myself reaching around with both hands to make it smoother; my left hand to steady the scabbard and my right to draw it out or drop it in. It's a tight fit but the next size up would've been annoyingly too big I think. It's their recommended 1/8th of an inch larger than the head.

As for the size of the Fiskars X15 head when it comes to wedging, I can't say that's ever been a noticeable problem for me. Just haven't given it much thought, TBH. It's the only ax I've ever used to drive wedges, and I just got all new wedges so I haven't had enough time with these nice K&Hs to say. I don't think it'll be a problem though.

Some buddies of mine run a composting and topsoil business and they've got a small corner of their property they want trees felled on to make room for some garden plots and such. So at some point soon, probably after turkey season, I'll be working their felling gig, so I'll let y'all know how I like this setup and the wedges and all that shit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone a member of the two main chainsaw forums?
I've bought a couple of really good saws from their classified's section, but it kind of bugs me when they start off an add:
"Perfectly good saw, but a few bolts are missing or missing a top cover and muffler", or advertising a saw that's "30 years old or older" or I "have $1000 in this saw".
All for about the price of a new saw with modern technology.
I've always considered chainsaws as tools, but oh well.
Capitalism at its finest.
View Quote
Sometimes it's a "storied" saw model that is very desirable. Sometimes it's like buying a restored or resto-modded car, yeah you could buy a new one for the same price but you want what you want.

I have seen some excellent deals on ported legendary saws on Arborsite.

Will a new 500i out cut a Huskihl ported 460? These are the questions that drive men to own 30 saws
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone want to be a Guinea pig using this?  Total knock off of the $900 Lewis Winch 400 MK2.

https://www.farmertec.com/Holzfforma-CSW8000-Portable-Gas-Powered-Pulling-chainsaw-Winch-p1079184.html

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So far, I like both Grizzly Peak scabbards. The wedge scabbard has a little tongue down inside there that provides tension to keep your wedges stowed. As you can see I only have a pair of 7.5s in there, but normally I keep a 10 in there as well. The ax scabbard is juuust barely bigger than the head which means you gotta be precise when you go to pull it out or stow it. I find myself reaching around with both hands to make it smoother; my left hand to steady the scabbard and my right to draw it out or drop it in. It's a tight fit but the next size up would've been annoyingly too big I think. It's their recommended 1/8th of an inch larger than the head.

As for the size of the Fiskars X15 head when it comes to wedging, I can't say that's ever been a noticeable problem for me. Just haven't given it much thought, TBH. It's the only ax I've ever used to drive wedges, and I just got all new wedges so I haven't had enough time with these nice K&Hs to say. I don't think it'll be a problem though.

Some buddies of mine run a composting and topsoil business and they've got a small corner of their property they want trees felled on to make room for some garden plots and such. So at some point soon, probably after turkey season, I'll be working their felling gig, so I'll let y'all know how I like this setup and the wedges and all that shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always need new wedges  Nice kit
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I saved a "free" saw this week. It is just a homeowner saw, but the last few weeks have taught me I can't have enough chainsaws, and this will be a perfect "handout" saw.

I helped a buddy of mine clear out after a deadbeat renter and he tossed me a few things that were abandoned in the house, and one of those things was this ratty, rusty, sun damaged and dry-rotted Stihl MS-250. He couldn't get it to start when he had previously looked at it, so he figured it was trash.

Turns out it just had shitty old gas in it and after getting it home and rinsing it out with some fresh fuel, it fired right up. (Yeah yeah, my bench is a mess. Too many projects.)

Attachment Attached File

I decided to put a little money into it and get it usable, as the rear handle was cracked, the plastics were badly dry rotted, the bar was toast, the muffler was rusting out, and all the rubber was really soft. Thankfully you can buy generic parts for these for pretty cheap. I went with a cheap Oregon bar vs. OEM since I was using cheap chinese parts and it will be a loaner saw I don't want to care too much about.

Attachment Attached File

It was pretty gross inside, but nothing major like the oil pump or tensioner seemed broken, and looking into the cylinder it looked pretty good for what it was.

Attachment Attached File

The deeper I dug into it, the worse it got with caked in, baked in sawdust and oil.

Attachment Attached File

I scrubbed it all down pretty good, and I probably could have gotten it better looking with a bit of sanding, but I'm just looking for a handout/spare saw and this will fit the bill.

A quick re-tune in the wood pile and now it is on the shelf with its siblings.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Got involved with a real one over the weekend. Climbed and rigged out a proper dying hickory for one of my best buds behind his house. He worked ground while I was in the tree.

My buddy took a time-lapse of the top coming out but I think the lens was smudged. Anyway, here's a frame-grab of it jumping off. I took a pretty good whipper when the rope came tight and the weight hung. Good times.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck NO!

We have the real thing.
I need to finish outfitting it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saved a "free" saw this week. It is just a homeowner saw, but the last few weeks have taught me I can't have enough chainsaws, and this will be a perfect "handout" saw.

I helped a buddy of mine clear out after a deadbeat renter and he tossed me a few things that were abandoned in the house, and one of those things was this ratty, rusty, sun damaged and dry-rotted Stihl MS-250. He couldn't get it to start when he had previously looked at it, so he figured it was trash.

Turns out it just had shitty old gas in it and after getting it home and rinsing it out with some fresh fuel, it fired right up. (Yeah yeah, my bench is a mess. Too many projects.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/beginningsaw_jpg-2786820.JPG

I decided to put a little money into it and get it usable, as the rear handle was cracked, the plastics were badly dry rotted, the bar was toast, the muffler was rusting out, and all the rubber was really soft. Thankfully you can buy generic parts for these for pretty cheap. I went with a cheap Oregon bar vs. OEM since I was using cheap chinese parts and it will be a loaner saw I don't want to care too much about.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/sawparts_jpg-2786824.JPG

It was pretty gross inside, but nothing major like the oil pump or tensioner seemed broken, and looking into the cylinder it looked pretty good for what it was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/sawapart_jpg-2786831.JPG

The deeper I dug into it, the worse it got with caked in, baked in sawdust and oil.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/dirtysaw_jpg-2786833.JPG

I scrubbed it all down pretty good, and I probably could have gotten it better looking with a bit of sanding, but I'm just looking for a handout/spare saw and this will fit the bill.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/finishedsaw_jpg-2786849.JPG
View Quote
Picked up a ms 211 a year ago for $75.

I need to put a new case on it and a three screw carb.
The jug and piston look g od..

Be a good beater for snogo logging.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Those guys on opeforum are all hacks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/beginningsaw_jpg-2786820.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/sawparts_jpg-2786824.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/sawapart_jpg-2786831.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/dirtysaw_jpg-2786833.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/finishedsaw_jpg-2786849.JPG
View Quote

My GF's nephew just landed a XP288 with a broken pull cord
or was it a 388, can't remember now.  It has decompression button.  

I may put a bark box on the 500i but it is loud already.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Fml
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fml

Lol
Frustration.  I was on my phone and finger-fucked the MMWS quote.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking for some advice on what saw to get.  

My wife and I just purchased 10 heavily wooded acres in central Texas that will need substantial clearing for a homesite.  I want to do most myself rather than hiring it out.  There are lots of larger trees that I plan on leaving, but some dead that I'll need to remove.  Most of what I'll be taking out is probably <6" diameter.  

My brother in law has a lawn care business and swears by Echo, but I don't have any experience with them.  I've ruled out Husky because there is no dealer here other than Lowe's.  That leaves me with Stihl, which is the overwhelmingly most popular saw in here, as well as anywhere else I've looked for opinions. It sounds like the MS250 or 271 Farm Boss would be good for my application.  But I've also thought about the smaller top handle arborist saws.  Would that be a good option for cutting a lot of smalI stuff?  I think it would be handy and easier to use all day, but then I would likely still need a bigger saw for what bigger stuff I do need to cut.  I definitely want something above "homeowner" grade and am thinking $400-500 price range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My wife and I just purchased 10 heavily wooded acres in central Texas that will need substantial clearing for a homesite.  I want to do most myself rather than hiring it out.  There are lots of larger trees that I plan on leaving, but some dead that I'll need to remove.  Most of what I'll be taking out is probably <6" diameter.  

My brother in law has a lawn care business and swears by Echo, but I don't have any experience with them.  I've ruled out Husky because there is no dealer here other than Lowe's.  That leaves me with Stihl, which is the overwhelmingly most popular saw in here, as well as anywhere else I've looked for opinions. It sounds like the MS250 or 271 Farm Boss would be good for my application.  But I've also thought about the smaller top handle arborist saws.  Would that be a good option for cutting a lot of smalI stuff?  I think it would be handy and easier to use all day, but then I would likely still need a bigger saw for what bigger stuff I do need to cut.  I definitely want something above "homeowner" grade and am thinking $400-500 price range.
View Quote

@Jday

Sounds very similar to our property in CenTex. I've already burned through a Stihl MS291 so I went with the MS362. Lots of guys swear by the M-tronic, but honestly, I'm not a fan so far. If you're in the Waco/Temple area, IM me and we can meet up and I'll show you what all we've done and what equipment I've used. Maybe I'll save you some money and tons of headaches.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
IMO there is no "one saw fits all".

I like to use the smallest saw that will do the job at hand, as a big saw will wear you out faster.

For nothing but 6" scrub trees, you can get away with a much smaller saw than you think, or at the very least a short bar on a bigger saw.

I use both Stihl and Echo, and I have been plenty pleased with both.

Don't be afraid to start with something smaller like an MS-250 or a CS490 with a 16" bar, and then get something bigger later on if you think you need more saw. I'm a fan of having a few saws on hand to let one cool down while you work the next one anyways.

Honestly though, for clearing a few acres of scrub out for a homesite, I'd look seriously at renting a forestry mulcher on a skidsteer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

But what would you know about saws? Lol[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IMO there is no "one saw fits all".

I like to use the smallest saw that will do the job at hand, as a big saw will wear you out faster.

For nothing but 6" scrub trees, you can get away with a much smaller saw than you think, or at the very least a short bar on a bigger saw.

I use both Stihl and Echo, and I have been plenty pleased with both.

Don't be afraid to start with something smaller like an MS-250 or a CS490 with a 16" bar, and then get something bigger later on if you think you need more saw. I'm a fan of having a few saws on hand to let one cool down while you work the next one anyways.

Honestly though, for clearing a few acres of scrub out for a homesite, I'd look seriously at renting a forestry mulcher on a skidsteer.
View Quote

Truth. I run the shortest bar I can unless I'm bucking ("Stand up and buck, friends."). I also run an Echo SRM-2620T high torque trimmer with a 10" forester brush blade to clear saplings up to 4" and a Stihl HT135 pole saw. I've done the most destruction with a 60" brush hog and 35hp tractor, though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
You'll need at least two saws.  Some here would say 3 :-)

Go buy a Sthil MS170 or MS180 (Small Saw) right now and hack at the woods till you need a bigger saw.

Then go get a bigger saw.     With the experience you got with the smaller one you'll be more educated on what you need as a 2nd saw and decide to get say an MS260.  Then you'll work your way into a HUGE saw as your 3rd one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally broke down and purchased a couple of lw bars. Completely worth it. The 25" is obviously the largest benefit.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I've settled on the Echo 501p.  The five year warranty on the Echo compared to 1 year on the Stihl is a big selling point for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I've settled on the Echo 501p.  The five year warranty on the Echo compared to 1 year on the Stihl is a big selling point for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much experience do you have with saws?

I have to say, I think my favorite thing is my cheap forestry helmet.  One thing that has a face shield and ears, AND slight bump protection?  Thing is way worth it.

That said, if you are going to be clearing a few acres, might not be bad to have a pro come in.  Proper heavy equipment can make fast work, and leave a good grade for a builder.

Still get the saw, you always need a saw.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought a CS-501P.  Haven't used it more than 2 tankfuls; so far so good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Man, I need to get off my ass and buy some 28" skip tooth.

Sharpening full house chain is a bit tedious.

My new bar seems to oil a lot better than the original plain jane Husky bar that was on.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Skip tooth is nice, I finally got a couple to try on a 24 inch bar, and while it doesn't seem like it, as long as I'm not cutting super thin branches, it behaves similarly, and takes way less time to touch up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I had to take down a pretty big red oak last weekend to make room for the wood shed I'm going to build, just under 3' on the stump.  Problem was it was leaning hard enough towards the house I didn't want to risk wedging.  I thought about putting a rope in it and taking it away from the house then my neighbor offered to let me borrow is off road manlift for the day.  It was only a 45' lift, so I was well short of reaching the entire top....luckily all the limbs coming back towards the house were low though.  Got those off and dropped the whole top away from the house.

It was the first time I put a lot of work on the knock-off top handle saw I bought last year.  I got to say....it did a damn good job....way easier than trying to deal with a bigger saw and control limbs.

I didn't get any pics when cutting.....I normally get so focused on the job, I forget to take pics.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had to take down a pretty big red oak last weekend to make room for the wood shed I'm going to build, just under 3' on the stump.  Problem was it was leaning hard enough towards the house I didn't want to risk wedging.  I thought about putting a rope in it and taking it away from the house then my neighbor offered to let me borrow is off road manlift for the day.  It was only a 45' lift, so I was well short of reaching the entire top....luckily all the limbs coming back towards the house were low though.  Got those off and dropped the whole top away from the house.

It was the first time I put a lot of work on the knock-off top handle saw I bought last year.  I got to say....it did a damn good job....way easier than trying to deal with a bigger saw and control limbs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/71FD36AB-341A-4C59-812D-C7AEE5839F07-2634724.jpg

I didn't get any pics when cutting.....I normally get so focused on the job, I forget to take pics.
View Quote

pfft

Let me know when your tiny little saw can handle logs like this:
Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PFXST6K?tag=arfcom00-20

Nice photoshop Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What are the two main chainsaw forums?  I'm a member of both Arboristsite.com and Outdoor Power Equipment, .
View Quote

Those.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They've got a decent price on a bar I want-beat's Bailey's price by about $20ish.

Also, I took a trip way south west from me and ended up in a Runnings.  They are selling Mystik B&C oil for 7.78 a gallon.  It isn't listed on their website, but it was right next to their Harvest King brand in the store.  I only grabbed 2 gallons as I have shelves full of oil right now.

View Quote

Which brand bar?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which brand bar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which brand bar?

Husky and Safford is good to go from where I stand.  Quick ship, well packed, and good price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

pfft

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/Capture_JPG-2811330.JPG

Nice photoshop Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/71FD36AB-341A-4C59-812D-C7AEE5839F07-2634724.jpg

pfft

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/Capture_JPG-2811330.JPG

Nice photoshop Amazon.

But wait....there's more....

- Handles limbs and trees.
- Provides wide cutting swath.
- Tool-less chain tensioner lets you make adjustments easily.
- Wraparound handle with soft comfort hand grip helps reduce user fatigue.
- Cord retainer prevents unintended power disconnection

It provides a wide cutting swath.....and apparently has a cord that keeps the engine from falling off causing you to lose power.

And......it apparently comes with a scythe, so if the cord retainer fails and the engine does fall off, you can pretend to kill the trees like the grim reaper.

1 x Chainsaw
1 x Blade
1x Tool kit
1x Chain
1x Guide plate
1 x Cover for guide plate
1 x Scythe
1 x Socket wrench ; 1 x Screwdriver
1 x Hex wrench ; 1 x Oil pot
1 x Funnel ; 1 x User manual
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered a Square chisel chain for my Echo 620P.  27" and came with a stupid semi-chisel.  Just got a few tanks of fuel through it, so time to open up the exhaust and set the carb right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Square chisel chain for my Echo 620P.  27" and came with a stupid semi-chisel.  Just got a few tanks of fuel through it, so time to open up the exhaust and set the carb right.
View Quote
The semi's have their place. Full chisel likes clean wood.

I've been cutting tons of tornado knock down trees lately, and all the wind driven dirt and grit in the tree bark dulls a full chisel much faster than a semi.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I realize that, but I'm working on the remains of a huge willow and want to throw big chips.  

And now I will have both.  Plus I just wanted to try a square grind tooth.  Bought the file long before I have the chain.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve got a CS 590 that seems to be down on power. I had to adjust the tune when it was about 15 degree weather, and can’t seem to get it back.  It’s got the limiter screws removed, and a muffler mod.
Any tips on tuning?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Put some work in yesterday with the 501P.  Definitely the best running saw I've ever used, although the biggest thing I cut was only probably an 8" cedar.  Looking forward to knocking some more out next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Welp, at least I know she's oiling properly.

Have it set so there is still a little bit left when I run out of gas.

Been abusing the heck out of this thing lately.

Tomorrow is a good cleaning day for all my outdoor equipment.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#47]
What are you guys using to keep all your gear together?  

Im thinking a 5 gallon bucket with one of those tool organizers.  Oil and mix go in the bucket, and extra chain, tools, sharpeners, etc. go in the organizer.  Would contain any spills and keep everything ready to grab and throw in the truck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What are you guys using to keep all your gear together?  

Im thinking a 5 gallon bucket with one of those tool organizers.  Oil and mix go in the bucket, and extra chain, tools, sharpeners, etc. go in the organizer.  Would contain any spills and keep everything ready to grab and throw in the truck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#49]

This old beast pulls a 28" bar with ease.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#50]

That's it.

Running the 572 with the 28 tomorrow.  Need to buck another small pile of firewood, but mainly to shred a brush pile.  It should make short work of all that.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top