Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't have to, but you really should. Eye pro is also a recommeded thing. I have 18 stiches that wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing chaps.
View Quote

Rookie numbers. 90 plus over my kneecap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Time for some chaps/chainsaw pants
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learned a lesson today.

Only run the saw while wearing shorts.  Less of a chance of ruining a pair of pants.

Was clearing out some small trees from an old cellar hole which will sort of be my front yard in the future.  Real shitty footing on the rocks from the cellar.  Cut a couple things, let off the throttle, shifted the leg-oops.

Only a little nibble.

https://i.postimg.cc/BbC5MSn6/IMG-1464.jpg

And a file
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And a file
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a full compliment of Stihl equipment. The saws are a 180EZ and an MS 270. The 180EZ is a recent replacement for an old 170 that was stolen out of my truck. I hated the 180EZ until I learned how to start it correctly. Now I consider it my go to saw unless the 270 is needed. All in all I really like my Stihl stuff. I have a GREAT dealer about 20 minutes away that has all the support I'll ever need. Life is good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Stihl 170 - Modded a bit just with a better bar\chain combo.
Stihl 026 - Will keep this as is for now.
Jonsered 2260 18in bar now - Needs a larger bar.  Would really like a 22in one.  Options that use the Husqvarna small mount bars aren't as good as most others.

Parts\project saw Husqvarna 562 xp I got off FB marketplace for $175.  Was told   "All the parts are there. It just needs to be assembled. New Warhawk cylinder. New oem carb."  Well, I need to order a few screws and parts for it before I can assemble.  Not more than $60 worth but still a PITA and not as I expected when buying.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The 026 is probably one of the best mid size saws ever built
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And a file
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learned a lesson today.

Only run the saw while wearing shorts.  Less of a chance of ruining a pair of pants.

Was clearing out some small trees from an old cellar hole which will sort of be my front yard in the future.  Real shitty footing on the rocks from the cellar.  Cut a couple things, let off the throttle, shifted the leg-oops.

Only a little nibble.

And a file

lulz

Guess what I bought on my way home today.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learned a lesson today.

Only a little nibble.

Yeah, just scored an extra set of chaps for about $50 for the Husqvarna ones. Found it on sale because the gray and black version is not as popular?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And a file
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learned a lesson today.

Only a little nibble.

And a file

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice collection! Did that low-top 372 make a trip from overseas? Bet it came from the same place mine did.
View Quote

@Stantonizm

Yup, and I bet you're right. Helluva guy selling awesome saws for a good price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll run Stihl or Oregon.....I've not noticed a huge difference between them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the consensus is Oregon chains are the ones to go with.

As a hand filer who sharpens all his own chains, Oregon EXL is hands down better than Stihl RS. Having owned, run, and filed on both.

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As a hand filer who sharpens all his own chains, Oregon EXL is hands down better than Stihl RS. Having owned, run, and filed on both.

View Quote

Good to know.

Now as far as replacement bars, any non-China bars out there or is that just something that we are screwed on?

Most bars even factory ones look to be China made. Looking for a quality replacement bar not made there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a few chainsaws...

Echo 330-T
Husqvarna 242XP. 266XP, 268, 372XP, 390XP
Stihl 362C, 460, 064

Longest bar is 32" on the 390XP, shortest is 14" on the Echo (same on Stihl pole saw).
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:46:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the consensus is Oregon chains are the ones to go with.

I am extremely impressed with the husky x-cut.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Stihl 440.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Stantonizm

Yup, and I bet you're right. Helluva guy selling awesome saws for a good price.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad this thread is Stihl active

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The GD told me I needed to purchase something called CHAPS if I plan on using a chainsaw. I had to Google what CHAPS were. I never knew you had to purchase special attire to run a chainsaw.
View Quote

Chainsaw chaps are by default assless chaps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I Echo this sentiment.
View Quote

C’mon guys, I’m poulan for ya…..
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
10 year old stihl farm boss....runs like a beast
View Quote

How ‘bout a 20 year old Farm Boss?

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I Echo this sentiment.

Is the op still around, Oregon away?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good to know.

Now as far as replacement bars, any non-China bars out there or is that just something that we are screwed on?

Most bars even factory ones look to be China made. Looking for a quality replacement bar not made there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

I like Stihl ES, Husqvarna "pro" (replaceable tip, made by Oregon), Sugihara, and Tsumara bars. The latter two are popular Japanese bars, most run the lightweight versions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Big +1 for those Husky cases.  Nice and easy to stack and they have room for all sorts of extra shit inside.

Best prices on them that I've found are at Lowes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do like the EXL chain.....I sharpen on a Oregon 410 grinder though.  If I plan ahead on chain, I order Oregon EXL.....if I don't I'll stop by Rural King and pick up RS chain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#31]
My MS362CM while I'm cutting up the formerly () largest tree on my property; a very large and very rotten White Oak last year.  The 362 has a 24" bar on it.

Closer shot with some of the rotten trunk.

This is the way to buck logs:  No bending over, no having to rotate a +1000 lb log to fully cut it, no bending over and no getting your chainsaw into the dirt and gravel and no bending over.

Bucking a large Maple that I took down last Spring.  I had the main trunk slabbed and just got it back from the sawyer a couple days ago:

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good to know.

View Quote

I'm 100% sold on lightweight bars now and won't buy anything else.  Stihl Lightweight, Tsumura & Sugihara (Japan).
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

The 500i is a beast for it's weight.....I've been super impressed with mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The 500i is a beast for it's weight.....I've been super impressed with mine.
View All Quotes

& not having a choke/throttle lock is the cherry on top
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My MS362CM while I'm cutting up the formerly () largest tree on my property; a very large and very rotten White Oak last year.  The 362 has a 24" bar on it.

https://i.imgur.com/nI7stF3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8kLN3EO.jpg

This is the way to buck logs:  No bending over, no having to rotate a +1000 lb log to fully cut it, no bending over and no getting your chainsaw into the dirt and gravel and no bending over.

https://i.imgur.com/6AKsSej.jpg

Bucking a large Maple that I took down last Spring.  I had the main trunk slabbed and just got it back from the sawyer a couple days ago:

https://i.imgur.com/ZfFp4zR.jpg

View Quote

Pretty sure that's cheating
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn, close one!
View Quote

Yeah, eff that. I don't run any of my bigger saws without chaps and a forestry helmet.

Three saws here. Nothing special, but I run them every week. All smaller softwood (pine and fir) on my property.

Echo CS310, limiters removed and tuned for altitude. Oregon chain on a stock 14" bar.
Makita EA5000P. All stock. Oregon semi-chisel chains, 20" bar.
Husky 260, muffler modded. Stock 24" bar with a semi skip Oregon chain.

They all run great for my application. The little Echo is lighter than my brothers electric saw. If I'm grabbing 1 saw, it's always the Makita. The old Husky has cut a shit load of wood. It's got a great bark to it with the modded muffler.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I got Stihl MS 291 and MS 310. Both with 20 in. bars. That 310 is a workhorse!! Neighbor had his woods logged out a few years ago and they left tops laying blocking trails and driveways where the neighbor would drive around collecting Maple sap for boiling down. Neighbor asked if I'd want to clear those trails and I could keep any wood I cut up. All summer I was cutting up and hauling home some awesome Ash and Red Oak and those chain saws got a hell of a workout!!   Just ordered a 2nd wood stove to be installed when it comes in at end of October. Might as well since I now have 47 face cords of wood cut split and stacked. I'm on a waiting list at the local dealers to get an MS 261.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you ain't cheating, you ain't tryin.

And dang, never seen a grapple used that way.  I'll have to try it.*

*When I actually get a grapple.  First will probably be a bale spear.  Get to play with square bales with just a loader.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

*When I actually get a grapple.  First will probably be a bale spear.  Get to play with square bales with just a loader.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will use any tool available to make cutting wood easier.....I consider it smart not cheating
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Had about a 6" diameter branch drop in the backyard during a storm...coulda grabbed my Milwaukee cordless sawzall, or Dewalt cordess chainsaw, or my 16" Husky 345, or 18" Dolmar 5100, or 24" Dolmar 7900....

instead I chose the one like I grew up with, a tuned McCulloch 610 with a 20" bar that sounds like a pissed off dirtbike....

Neighbor came out and said "geez, don't you have a bigger saw for that litte branch?" I replied; "yeah, I do actually, I just don't have anything any louder."
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Guess I'm the only Echo fan here.  

Kind of "pro-sumer" grade, which is what 99% of users are.  

If you have a good dealer around.  Not that you will need it.  Like for a Stihl.
View Quote
My ECHO powerhead/line trimmer is the only reliable small engine I own. If the attachments didn't cost a kidney, I'd own every attachment.

Was seriously considering getting an ECHO chainsaw. I had been running a Husqvarna 440 Rancher but it died this last winter, spewing oil and total loss of compression. My smaller Husqvarna 240 still runs well.

Lotta Stihl love in the chainsaw world
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My ECHO powerhead/line trimmer is the only reliable small engine I own. If the attachments didn't cost a kidney, I'd own every attachment.

Was seriously considering getting an ECHO chainsaw. I had been running a Husqvarna 455 Rancher but it died this last winter, spewing oil and total loss of compression. My smaller Husqvarna 240 still runs well.

Lotta Stihl love in the chainsaw world.

Oh, and chaps, gloves, helmut with face field - always. Feels like I'm putting on an astronaut suit, but having worked in the ER for over a decade, not worth the risk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I Echo this sentiment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm glad this thread is Stihl active

I Echo this sentiment.

I Husky this dialo...oh never mind. Lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Was seriously considering getting an ECHO chainsaw. I had been running a Husqvarna 440 Rancher but it died this last winter, spewing oil and total loss of compression. My smaller Husqvarna 240 still runs well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess I'm the only Echo fan here.  

Kind of "pro-sumer" grade, which is what 99% of users are.  

If you have a good dealer around.  Not that you will need it.  Like for a Stihl.

yep
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=500i&&view=detail&mid=FF183C7EDFC0405F96F4FF183C7EDFC0405F96F4&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3D500i%26form%3DSWAUA2
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Chainsaw chaps are by default assless chaps.
View Quote

If any chaps had an ass, they'd be pants.

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Dolmar 6400 stock w/20” bar.
Shindiawa 14” bar saw- my favorite because it’s light and starts every time without a lot of fuss. Usually.

Found out real quick what the decomp button was for on the 6400.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I do like the EXL chain.....I sharpen on a Oregon 410 grinder though.  If I plan ahead on chain, I order Oregon EXL.....if I don't I'll stop by Rural King and pick up RS chain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense. RS is good chain, don't get me wrong. For me, hand filing it was a PITA. EXL performs just as well in the cut, and I can actually file it quickly in the woods if need be. ;)

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Echo this sentiment.

What in the husqvarna is going on in here??
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Makes sense. RS is good chain, don't get me wrong. For me, hand filing it was a PITA. EXL performs just as well in the cut, and I can actually file it quickly in the woods if need be. ;)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm too lazy to sharpen in the woods.....I have plenty of extra chains with me for every saw I'm using (normally only 2).  I like to sharpen chain while sitting on a stool in the garage with a cold beverage.

It also helps that I only cut on our property 95% of the time....so I'm never farther than a 5 minute UTV ride back to the house if I need something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Husqvarna 2240
Husqvarna 45
Jonsered  2255
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top