Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 99
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like the NHL is eating most of the costs for the Yotes sale.

More or less selling the team for 48M, and the NHL is going to eat the operation costs.

If I would have hit that 600m lottery, I know what I would have bought.

(They say they will have to stay for 5 years in the arena, but in 5 years, you could resale the team if you wanted to Quebec City for 270m+)

Isn't the deal contingent on the city of glenndale paying 1-2 million per year to the new owners with no guarantee of getting anything back?
Already some rumblings that the city may OK the deal but that it will be shot down in referendum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like the NHL is eating most of the costs for the Yotes sale.

More or less selling the team for 48M, and the NHL is going to eat the operation costs.

If I would have hit that 600m lottery, I know what I would have bought.

(They say they will have to stay for 5 years in the arena, but in 5 years, you could resale the team if you wanted to Quebec City for 270m+)

Isn't the deal contingent on the city of glenndale paying 1-2 million per year to the new owners with no guarantee of getting anything back?

Already some rumblings that the city may OK the deal but that it will be shot down in referendum.

The deal looks like Glendale will be getting screwed the most.

Link Posted: 5/31/2013 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Great News Red Wings fans:

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/340537612496424960

Pavel Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension this summer with #RedWings, wants to stay several more years. Huge plus for team.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite my brackets being blown to hell here's what I think for thr Conf Finals:

LA/Chicago - LA in 6. My heart says Chicago; my head says LA since they're pretty much the same team from last year and aren't as banged up as Chicago.

Bos/Pit - Pit in 7. Bos is very good but I don't know if they can overcome the four undercover Penguins on the ice, the ones with the stripes on their shirts.

The Pens jealousy never does stop amazing me.

You can pull that with someone else and get away with it, but not me.

The Pens are a very good team... But to deny they get favorable calls and that the League has fast tracked Crosby to Next Great One status is folly. Also whenever the team is in jeopardy (as in the lean years of the 2000s) the team somehow magically is blessed with the best player to come out of juniors in a decade. And then gets an amazing all-star supporting cast. And we're supposed to believe this is coincidence and managerial talent?

Now, the team does have to earn the Cup... But the League can ensure certain series go longer, ensuring that other teams have an easier time opposing them.

This isn't just Pittsburgh FYI. They're just the latest "it" team... Look at some of the recent teams in the last 20 yrs who have had financial or attendance troubles... LA (won Cup), Buff (went to Finals, lost), Edmonton (went to Finals), Carolina, Tampax Bay (both won Cups after money or attendance trouble)... This is just off the top of my head, I could try to find more if I get a chance. I half expect Phoenix to meet up with Florida in the next few seasons.

You sound like the Alex Jones of ice hockey.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite my brackets being blown to hell here's what I think for thr Conf Finals:

LA/Chicago - LA in 6. My heart says Chicago; my head says LA since they're pretty much the same team from last year and aren't as banged up as Chicago.

Bos/Pit - Pit in 7. Bos is very good but I don't know if they can overcome the four undercover Penguins on the ice, the ones with the stripes on their shirts.

The Pens are a very good team... But to deny they get favorable calls and that the League has fast tracked Crosby to Next Great One status is folly. Also whenever the team is in jeopardy (as in the lean years of the 2000s) the team somehow magically is blessed with the best player to come out of juniors in a decade. And then gets an amazing all-star supporting cast. And we're supposed to believe this is coincidence and managerial talent?

Now, the team does have to earn the Cup... But the League can ensure certain series go longer, ensuring that other teams have an easier time opposing them.

This isn't just Pittsburgh FYI. They're just the latest "it" team... Look at some of the recent teams in the last 20 yrs who have had financial or attendance troubles... LA (won Cup), Buff (went to Finals, lost), Edmonton (went to Finals), Carolina, Tampax Bay (both won Cups after money or attendance trouble)... This is just off the top of my head, I could try to find more if I get a chance. I half expect Phoenix to meet up with Florida in the next few seasons.

I agree with you 100%.

The "League" looks out for it's own best interest, at the expense of fair games at times.

I love this sport, and it sucks that it is almost now equally a "sport" and "entertainment."  Bettman might be following the NBA model. Showtime, and BIG ratings. Superstars that everybody will want to watch like Magic, and Michael Jordan... Blah. Keep selling that glass jawed Crosby as the savior, nobody here cares at all about him.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's Go Bruins & Let's Go Kings !!!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. It's a bitter pill, but I am rooting for Boston and LA. Man, that makes me sad.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great News Red Wings fans:

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/340537612496424960

Pavel Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension this summer with #RedWings, wants to stay several more years. Huge plus for team.

I really hope he plays his whole career for us. The man is a wizard with the puck. Cue walleyed "are you a wizard" pic.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like the Alex Jones of ice hockey.

Unlike that butthole Alex Jones i can back my claims up with facts and history.  

The league can create conditions that make an easier or more difficult road for teams. It's not outright tampering... But it definitely occurs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%.

The "League" looks out for it's own best interest, at the expense of fair games at times.

I love this sport, and it sucks that it is almost now equally a "sport" and "entertainment."  Bettman might be following the NBA model. Showtime, and BIG ratings. Superstars that everybody will want to watch like Magic, and Michael Jordan... Blah. Keep selling that glass jawed Crosby as the savior, nobody here cares at all about him.

It's sad but i started noticing it a few years ago. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight you can find examples of improbable playoff runs or near miraculous assemblages of incredible talent by teams who's attendance is flagging.

Pittsburgh is a great example of that. They sucked for much of the 2000s and when they got in financial trouble they get Malkin, Crosby AND a great supporting cast, going from zeros to heros in like one season? And we're supposed to swallow that it was coincidence?

(Nobody better call it jealousy... Det has more Cups in the last 20yrs than Pit ... That said, I firmly believe that the League decided in 07 that it was Pit's turn to win a Cup and Det didn't need to repeat, so they made sure via penalty calls that the Wings had a long, rough series with the Hawks, and then rushed the Finals start to 2 days after that series finished, while the Pens were quite well rested... That's as conspiratorial as I get, but it absolutely fits the league narrative of rushing Crosby to greatness.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah Pens are protected by the NHL and guaranteed the win.  I got me facts to back that up.   Just look at how they won the Stanley Cup the last couple seasons.  

Oh wait.    Please STFU about your conspiracy theories.  Your team lost and you hate the Pens with a passion.  That's all the "facts" you need.  

Rest of us are still looking forward to some hockey.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah Pens are protected by the NHL and guaranteed the win.  I got me facts to back that up.   Just look at how they won the Stanley Cup the last couple seasons.  

Oh wait.    Please STFU about your conspiracy theories.  Your team lost and you hate the Pens with a passion.  That's all the "facts" you need.  

Take your butthurt elsewhere dude. I'm just expressing an opinion. I don't hate the Pens at all, I just get disgusted by the elevation of one player - yeah, he's good - over all others in the ultimate team sport. The underappreciation of Malkin is pretty strange too. Dude is a beast.

You haven't read many of my posts here if you think I'm upset the Wings are out. They overachieved this year in what I expected to be a rebuilding year.

Are all Pens fans so touchy? Geez. Put me on ignore if you can't handle it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take your butthurt elsewhere dude. I'm just expressing an opinion. I don't hate the Pens at all, I just get disgusted by the elevation of one player - yeah, he's good - over all others in the ultimate team sport. The underappreciation of Malkin is pretty strange too. Dude is a beast.

You haven't read many of my posts here if you think I'm upset the Wings are out. They overachieved this year in what I expected to be a rebuilding year.

Oh no you don't.  You said FACTS and No one can deny.  That isn't opinion.  That's truth.  So stop with your Crosby hatred and move along.  

You bring up malkin and wonder why nobody is talking about him? Because the crosby haters bring up crosby all the time instead of talking about others.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Choke yourself!  And erase the PA next to your name!!!

John
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you 100%.

It's sad but i started noticing it a few years ago. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight you can find examples of improbable playoff runs or near miraculous assemblages of incredible talent by teams who's attendance is flagging.

Pittsburgh is a great example of that. They sucked for much of the 2000s and when they got in financial trouble they get Malkin, Crosby AND a great supporting cast, going from zeros to heros in like one season? And we're supposed to swallow that it was coincidence?

(Nobody better call it jealousy... Det has more Cups in the last 20yrs than Pit ... That said, I firmly believe that the League decided in 07 that it was Pit's turn to win a Cup and Det didn't need to repeat, so they made sure via penalty calls that the Wings had a long, rough series with the Hawks, and then rushed the Finals start to 2 days after that series finished, while the Pens were quite well rested... That's as conspiratorial as I get, but it absolutely fits the league narrative of rushing Crosby to greatness.)

The Penguins finished at or near the bottom of the standings in every season from 2001-2002 to 2005-2006...missing the playoffs 4 times in a row...(Penguin fans remember this all too well)...As such, they recieved high draft picks (which is the standard procedure)... They picked second in 2003/2004.
The Washington Capitals picked Alexander Ovchekin first overall...and the Penguins picked Evgeni Malkin...(Malkin was not allowed to play in the NHL until the 2006-2007 season, because of some contract dispute with Russia, or something like that).

The following year, there was a lockout...The draft was based on a lottery, with the worst teams getting more entries in the lottery, based on their records in the last season that was played.
The Penguins were the worst team...They got 3 entries in the lottery...They won the first pick...They picked Crosby.
In that same draft, the penguins picked Kris Letang  62nd overall...so, a lot of other teams had the chance to take him if they wanted him.
Brooks Orpik, and Fleury were already on the team before Malkin or Crosby...And the rest of the supporting cast you speak of was acquired via drafts and trades.
The Penguins were still rebuilding, and trading away some decent role players.

Where is the conspiracy?

How is it that the Redwings have managed to put such tremendous teams on the ice for so many years?...Is that a conspiracy as well?

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no you don't.  You said FACTS and No one can deny.  That isn't opinion.  That's truth.  So stop with your Crosby hatred and move along.    

You bring up malkin and wonder why nobody is talking about him? Because the crosby haters bring up crosby all the time instead of talking about others.

Good catch - but it's about the league, not just the Pens. I did state it was fact. Mainly in reference to the "when attendance flags, somehow within a season or two the team is markedly better", but fair enough.

I have always liked Malkin. And minus the constant rush to greatness by the league and press and the nut punching (NO player should live that down), I'd probably appreciate Crosby a lot more too.

So again - put me on ignore if you can't handle it and want to dive in front of any Penguins related criticism...
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I was extremely disappointed with the lockout and didn't pay attention to the regular season as a result. Overall the Playoffs have been good though and I'm back to watching. Boston has looked impressive and they just won't quit. I'm anxious to see how they match up against Pittsburgh.

The LA and Chicago series should be good too. Last years champ vs. the team with the best record in the league this year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Penguins finished at or near the bottom of the standings in every season from 2001-2002 to 2005-2006...missing the playoffs 4 times in a row...(Penguin fans remember this all too well)...As such, they recieved high draft picks (which is the standard procedure)... They picked second in 2003/2004.
The Washington Capitals picked Alexander Ovchekin first overall...and the Penguins picked Evgeni Malkin...(Malkin was not allowed to play in the NHL until the 2006-2007 season, because of some contract dispute with Russia, or something like that).

The following year, there was a lockout...The draft was based on a lottery, with the worst teams getting more entries in the lottery, based on their records in the last season that was played.
The Penguins were the worst team...They got 3 entries in the lottery...They won the first pick...They picked Crosby.
In that same draft, the penguins picked Kris Letang  62nd overall...so, a lot of other teams had the chance to take him if they wanted him.
Brooks Orpik, and Fleury were already on the team before Malkin or Crosby...And the rest of the supporting cast you speak of was acquired via drafts and trades.
The Penguins were still rebuilding, and trading away some decent role players.

Where is the conspiracy?

How is it that the Redwings have managed to put such tremendous teams on the ice for so many years?...Is that a conspiracy as well?

Some teams languish for years and years - Islanders? Penguins? Lightning? Hurricanes? Oilers? North Stars*? Senators? before they somehow get on their horses and ride. Look at the Oilers now - the highlight for the doggone team is getting the #1 overall pick, pretty soon they'll be able to ice a whole squad of first rounders who'll never know what the NHL playoffs are like... But these teams languish for years and sometimes decades and suddenly, when their attendance starts to fail, they get really good and the coaching improves and they do really well. Now the Islanders are in no danger of winning a Cup any time soon, nor are the Oilers, but the other teams I noted have at least made the SCF - or won the Cup - after having awful attendance and their management grumbling loudly that they were planning on moving due to lack of interest. Oh, special asterisk for the Stars - that was disgraceful. The fans turned their backs on the NHL team in favor of high school and college hockey. Their team was in the Finals and there were empty seats all over their arena. That they got the Wild was a miracle after that.

Note: It is well established that the Wings - having hardly any first round draft picks for so long due to trading them away - have for probably 20 years now have found gems later in the draft. Guys every other team passed over multiple times. Datsyuk (6th round), Zetterberg (7th round), Lidstrom (one of the best ever to lace them up, 3rd round), Holmstrom (10th round), Filppula (not a fan, but 3rd round), Franzen (not a fan, but 3rd round). Other teams have started improving their scouting so they don't miss out on guys like that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Further, I don't know if Dawn will appreciate this or not, but the West and Southern pushes for the League under Bettman's reign has lead to some really bad decisions. Twice now Atlanta has failed as a hockey market. Will they get a third chance? Who knows. At various times the Florida teams have both had problems, and not long after, TB mysteriously gets really good and wins a Cup. The Ducks and Kings get good and win Cups. The Sharks have been solid off and on for years now, but they're in the shadows of the other two CA teams. They ride the coattails (and seem to do well anyway).

I said it before, but with the Yotes in Glendale possibly having a buyer, I wouldn't be surprised if a huge amount of talent ended up there and they did very well soon...

And don't get bent up about this. I can point to some very curious coincidences that remain coincidences if they only happen once in a while, but in the last 20 years there are multiple cases of this occurring. It's not every year, it's not all the time, but Bettman's South and West Coast strategy must be upheld.

Once again: I'm a hockey fan first, a Wings fan second.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Some teams languish for years and years -  Hurricanes?

Remember 2006

Canes have had the problem of being a budget team after the 2nd owner died.

They have recently picked up 17 investors (15 local to the team), and are finally able to start spending closer to the cap.

Our target this season is 61m of the 64m cap.  (leaving room for trade deadline?)

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember 2006

They have recently picked up 17 investors (15 local to the team), and are finally able to start spending closer to the cap.

Our target this season is 61m of the 64m cap.  (leaving room for trade deadline?)

Nothing to over. They went to the Finals (Remember 02? ) then had a bit of a post- Finals jinx and didn't make the playoffs for a couple seasons, then won their Cup. It was good seeing a blood sweat and tears guy like Brind'Amour finally getting his due. Oh, and look at who they beat in the Finals - an Oilers team that was 9th place the season before, and sucked hard after losing in the Finals. (I followed this run closely - Jason Smith was amazing for them, and I ended up picking up one of his game worn jerseys from Toronto as a result).  hmmmmm.

It's another coincidence that - when looked at in aggregate - makes me scratch my head is all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember 2006

Nothing to over. They went to the Finals (Remember 02? ) then had a bit of a post- Finals jinx and didn't make the playoffs for a couple seasons, then won their Cup. It was good seeing a blood sweat and tears guy like Brind'Amour finally getting his due. Oh, and look at who they beat in the Finals - an Oilers team that was 9th place the season before, and sucked hard after losing in the Finals. (I followed this run closely - Jason Smith was amazing for them, and I ended up picking up one of his game worn jerseys from Toronto as a result).  hmmmmm.

It's another coincidence that - when looked at in aggregate - makes me scratch my head is all.
It was sarcastic.

02 run was pretty good too.

I think with the new investors the Canes got they will be a lot more competitive.

We just need to dump a couple of bad contracts.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]
1-0 Kings

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Grit, depth and Quick
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

1-0 Kings

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
1-1
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
2-1 Hawks
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Bolland with a flying hip check.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Hawks take the 1-0 Series Lead.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Game on!  Go B's!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
1-0 Bruins
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1-0 Bruins

Sweet
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1-0 Bruins

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Bruins just need to get through the first period . Keep the lead and quiet the crowd. Don't let the Pens feed off the energy of the fans.

Holy Shit a penalty against Crosby
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Crosby draws a penalty wi an ass-check. What a tool!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#37]
That was weak call on Orpik.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That was weak call on Orpik.

Weak but in this games wheelhouse.

Pens gettin the chances, only a matter of time till a few fall.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Cooke is going to be suspended.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Cooke is such a dirty player. Hope he gets gone for rest of playoffs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Lots of hits in this game.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What a scumbag.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Just seen this one. LOL.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/nMLvjFe.gif

Just seen this one. LOL.

lol the GIF that keeps giving. There are a few different ones.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have seen so many dirty hits from him... I have zero respect for Matt Cooke.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/nMLvjFe.gif

Just seen this one. LOL.

Holy crap! It hurts but I can't stop laughing!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Marchand pulls a Cooke.

Doesn't get a game misconduct, and only a 2 minute.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Marchand pulls a Cooke.

Doesn't get a game misconduct, and only a 2 minute.

More flagrant in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Malkin and Burgerareon fight!

Page / 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top