BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not?

Video games got me into guns, I sure as hell can appreciate something like this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You (in particular) can't seriously expect much help from here
Why not?

Video games got me into guns, I sure as hell can appreciate something like this.
[Grumpy old man]  Guns should always be practical and never be fun!  [/grumpy old man]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't be any worse than the guy who built his trash can gun last month with a 2 x 4 for a stock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can't be any worse than the guy who built his trash can gun last month with a 2 x 4 for a stock.
View Quote
Turkish mauser restore Iirc
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dont hate. Video games have been making young adults 2A supporters when they'd otherwise not have any exposure to them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why not?

View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]

You could save me the trouble of building this pipe and nail sight.

My End of World Build

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Pick up a pulled barrel off eBay for cheap, throw on a egw rail, mill bottom of stock for magpul dbm with a mill or gently with a small chisel, round file ect.

Or sell the action and pick up a whole gun from Walmart for about $350

Scope of my choice would be a vortex 2-8x32 HP diamondback, have one on a 22 and a 300 blk with awesome results.

You should email tarus about a firearm designer job

Quoted:

Thread
http://i.imgur.com/HAGOHrB.jpg
Progress at the moment
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coughcough It was a 2x6 damnit coughcough
you think I'd miss a thread like this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok so I have an old cheap wood BDL long action stock inbound.

Getting wire later today. Probably going to do a mix of wire, copper and grounding.

Already got duct tape and padding for cheek piece.

Scope will be last as I still plan on using the rifle once done, so I want to get something both esthetic and useful. Looking at vortex stuff right now. There is also a Zeiss in the EE I'm eyeing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet! Is it going to have irons too?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Getting wire later today. Probably going to do a mix of wire, copper and grounding.

Scope will be last as I still plan on using the rifle once done, so I want to get something both esthetic and useful. Looking at vortex stuff right now. There is also a Zeiss in the EE I'm eyeing.
View Quote
How are you going to feel roughing up a new scope (or $1k Ziess) for the Fallout look?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How are you going to feel roughing up a new scope (or $1k Ziess) for the Fallout look?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit don't listen to him OP, FO HARD
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe some perforated duct/pipe strap or a hose clamp in there somewhere?

And you have to have duct tape!

The barrel needs some rust on it or at least some pitting.

I loves me some Fallout.  Been playing since the first one came out, and I played Wasteland and Roadwar 2000 on my cousin's Apple 2.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag. I love Fallout and I love guns.
Yea, I love Sci-fi inspired builds!
Before I embark on a new build, I always ask myself, "is this something Boba Fett would like and use?"
I've come to the conclusion that, if Fett were in this reality, he'd without a doubt have an AS VAL...which sucks because that's unobtainium.  

I'm looking forward to see how Fallout inspires and drives this build. The rustier the better!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking sporterized Lee Enfield, moar bubba the better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

After this it's a functional firing Han Solo blaster then a storm trooper blaster. So get it out of your system now.
View Quote
Already been done.

Jerry Miculek is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EQQnkUGIk
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
My previous post didn't really offer any help so, I like using camoform to add a rustic/primitive characteristic to my builds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/55/553531a8-dda6-4ec0-bdc2-4d8b21a35019_400.jpghttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31BwcK9MyDL.jpg

I loves me some Fallout.  Been playing since the first one came out, and I played Wasteland and Roadwar 2000 on my cousin's Apple 2.
View Quote
Have you tried Wasteland 2? It's damn good. There's going to also be a Wasteland 3; though I have not followed that one at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Home depot sells it by the mile. Just get 12ga solid copper wire and strip the plastic sleeve off. If you really must have braided wire, go find an old lamp and cut the cord off of it. There ya go, copper craft wire.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/67/674313b8-7b47-46ee-b330-761875c8a4bd_1000.jpg

ETA: You're obviously making a Fallout 3 rifle. Everybody in the Commonwealth is left handed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they make thick copper craft wire? The wire on the stock in the pictures is almost pencil thick. Hmmmm. I was thinking mousepad for the cheekpiece since I have a spare mousepad my dog chewed on laying around in a box.
Home depot sells it by the mile. Just get 12ga solid copper wire and strip the plastic sleeve off. If you really must have braided wire, go find an old lamp and cut the cord off of it. There ya go, copper craft wire.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/67/674313b8-7b47-46ee-b330-761875c8a4bd_1000.jpg

ETA: You're obviously making a Fallout 3 rifle. Everybody in the Commonwealth is left handed

Exactly. If it's a Fallout 3 hunting rifle, you can't put a scope on it either. 

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]
FPNI

WTF
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FPNI

WTF
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FPNI

WTF
View Quote
Stick in the mud
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/55/553531a8-dda6-4ec0-bdc2-4d8b21a35019_400.jpghttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31BwcK9MyDL.jpg

View Quote
I really like those straps it has been added to the list
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
The zeiss is not even close to that expensive. Like 3 bills and any 3 bill scope is fine to be abused
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sweet! Is it going to have irons too?
View Quote
Yes it is actually the 30-06 barrel with ramped front and rear irons built on from the factory. Which is good cause the game screenshots show rusted factory sights.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Update:

I have settled on a vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 for the optic. With talley rings as low as I can get them and fit the scope. Both have been ordered.

I have picked up some wire, pipe hanging strapping. Various screws so none will match. I have the cheek pad and lots of duct tape.

Waiting on the stock still, won it days ago. Hurry up eBay guy. Still need to decide on and purchase AICS bottom metal and mag.

I also decided this will not just be a hunting rifle but a LEGENDARY hunting rifle. I grabbed some secret shit off Amazon with that in mind. But I need a name. All good legendaries have a name. And a theme. Anyone got name or theme ideas?

Edit: I am leaning towards names and themes that would fit with new vegas. Which was my favorite of the franchise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do they make thick copper craft wire? The wire on the stock in the pictures is almost pencil thick. Hmmmm. I was thinking mousepad for the cheekpiece since I have a spare mousepad my dog chewed on laying around in a box.
View Quote
10ga. Solid copper wire would work, home depot sells it, they also sell 6 and 8 gauge bare copper
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
What's the lejundairy effect? we need to know some secret stuff at least to properly name it

For ideas:
FO4 unique weapons
FONV unique weapons
FO3 unique weapons
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you want any real accuracy with this thing?

If you are going to wrap wire around the barrel like a barrel band but I would put something under the wire to make it look like the wire is holding the barrel to the stock but in fact your barrel is free floating.

Some bent metal that's a couple mm above the barrel and then wrap the wire over the metal band.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you are going to wrap wire around the barrel like a barrel band but I would put something under the wire to make it look like the wire is holding the barrel to the stock but in fact your barrel is free floating.

Some bent metal that's a couple mm above the barrel and then wrap the wire over the metal band.
View Quote
Accuracy won't be bad or anything if he does that, it'll still be acceptable
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am going to measure the pipe hanging strap and pipe clamps with a folded dollar bill between them and the barrel. They will be tightened/screwed on at that level and loctited if needed. I will make sure the barrel is free floated to at least a folded dollar gap, but it won't look like it. I am also likely going to glassbed the action but you won't be able to tell that once assembled.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am going to measure the pipe hanging strap and pipe clamps with a folded dollar bill between them and the barrel. They will be tightened/screwed on at that level and loctited if needed. I will make sure the barrel is free floated to at least a folded dollar gap, but it won't look like it. I am also likely going to glassbed the action but you won't be able to tell that once assembled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome! Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's the lejundairy effect? we need to know some secret stuff at least to properly name it

For ideas:
FO4 unique weapons
FONV unique weapons
FO3 unique weapons
View Quote
If I had even an ounce of artistic capability I would scretch my idea for you. But essentially I have a cast iron bears head bottle opener coming. I am going to trace it and carve a hole that matches in the stock and sink it in a tad so it doesn't stick out as much. Next to it a buddy who is artistic offered to paint the nuka-cola logo in red paint of my choice (speaking of what would be good long lasting paint on an already lacquered?? Stock) I am thinking deck paint maybe. We will also run a slogan down the left side in white paint. It will have drips running off the letters and fit the legendary name in some way, but won't actually be the name. I also have other Fallout themed shit coming. Like sunset sasparilla stickers, Nuka quantum stickers, route 188 hwy shield, etc. Each will be strategically placed, aged a tad, then permanently affixed and probably clear coated. I might strip the stocks and clear coat the whole thing once decorated and painted.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Also I'm not sure if the stickers covered in clear coat will work well or peel off. So I am also getting supplies to do image transfer to wood.

Like this: Transferring images to wood.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't wait to see the project take shape!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
For what you're describing you may want to go with an NCR theme or something related the the Yao Guai. That being said NCR is a two headed bear so that may not work...

Could look into the tribal/Joseph Graham lore from honest hearts for influence too, IIRC the Yao Guai were a big influence in the culture of that group.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For what you're describing you may want to go with an NCR theme or something related the the Yao Guai. That being said NCR is a two headed bear so that may not work...

Could look into the tribal/Joseph Graham lore from honest hearts for influence too, IIRC the Yao Guai were a big influence in the culture of that group.
View Quote
When I first came up with the bear opener I thought of an NCR build. But I never liked the NCR. I was thinking of a more faction neutral build. Something that draws from many themes and parts of the wasteland. Something that really sums up the game as a whole.

Here are some I like:

Name: Courier's Rifle

Slogan possibility 1: "Fac Fortia et Patere" (do brave deeds and endure)

Slogan possibility 2: "historia vitae magistra" (history, the teacher of life)

Slogan possibility 3: "non ducor, duco"
(I am not led, I lead)

Slogan possibility 4: "invictus maneo"(I remain unconquered)

Slogan 5: "per angusta ad augusta" (through difficulties to greatness)

Slogan 6: "sic parvis magna" (greatness from small beginnings)
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
+1

I'd rather see people enjoying their guns and doing creative stuff than have us turn into the black rifle version of a bunch of snooty fudds from the 1990s. I have no advice for him, but OP's got my support.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Please tell us that is in 50 Baewulf!
View Quote
Absolutely

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Special Delivery?

Express Mail?

Love the idea. Wondering if I want to sacrifice one of my old actions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I vote Slogan #4
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay, OP, you got me.  Just put an ad up in EE looking for an ugly as fuck fudd gun to butcher. Looked through my own stuff and there isn't anything there I want to sacrifice, although I think I have everything BUT the rifle itself laying around somewhere.

Also, my EE rating has been stuck at 13 forever, and that number bugs me
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, OP, you got me.  Just put an ad up in EE looking for an ugly as fuck fudd gun to butcher. Looked through my own stuff and there isn't anything there I want to sacrifice, although I think I have everything BUT the rifle itself laying around somewhere.

Also, my EE rating has been stuck at 13 forever, and that number bugs me
View Quote
Hahahahaha awesome.

Once you have your rifle if you want to share notes you are welcome to post in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hahahahaha awesome.

Once you have your rifle if you want to share notes you are welcome to post in this thread.
View Quote
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The copper wire will stretch under tension, it's made to conduct electricity, not made to be structural.

Try some stainless, and some kind of cloth to wrap it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The copper wire will stretch under tension, it's made to conduct electricity, not made to be structural.

Try some stainless, and some kind of cloth to wrap it.
View Quote
For cloth.. Ace Wrap or the similar at horse and Farm stores is way better than your typical Gauze and may work for a wrap that will stay tight.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top