Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
ARFCOM,

Meet your flight crew.  They will be here Thursday for orientation and uniform fitting.

Pilots:

And crewmember in the doorway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Update 1/22

The Unicorns were looking a little nervous today.  

We got both bottomed corner windows molded today.  They aren't perfect, but I think we can make them work.  We've got a method now and possibly could make more if we have time to improve them.

Landing gear crew working hard.

More paint was done but we are waiting on rivets in many areas.
They should be here next week.

As we finished the corner windows, we continued the skin forward.

More shaping on the foam nose, and skinning around the windows.

The top is ready for paint, and sides when we flip the fuselage back over tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got Kensington Clark paint at ACE Hardware for paint.  

Any idea what matches up with their color patches?  I'm going down there tomorrow to grab some white, OD'ish green, and another can of Marine One green.
View Quote
The Kensington Clark folks almost certainly have some boffins somewhere who can convert pigment formulas.  Years ago I needed a particular shade of WWII OD green for a project.  I went to my local Sherwin Williams store.  They called their people and got the pigment formula for the primer and top coat I needed ( a scrubabble interior latex).  They warned that the particular combination wouldn't hold up to outdoor sun exposure well and explained why, but for my purposes it didn't matter.  Great results on the project though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As always, thanks for the update
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You missed something, I think.

Side window

SAR bubble for searching

Those are optional though, I honestly couldn't tell you what the right ones are, but the sliding window look could be added.

They have some good pics of other parts, too, if you wander around the site long enough.

Don't they have windows low on the front so pilots can see distance to ground?  Replaced with instruments?
View Quote
Were working on them.

Layers of detail.  Those are just a.little deeper than we are ready for.

I hadn't seen the bubbles .   Those we might be able to pull off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The bottom numbers starting with MIL-  Are the Blackhawk named colrs, and the last digits of those match up on that federal colors page at the top.   Maybe bring in your phone and have them match a picture of a color swath?
View Quote
Well, that was my redneck plan.  

Probably closer to reality.  That's what we did for the Marine One green.  Different photos make it look so different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Update 1/23

HMX-1 logo going up today.

Plexiglass bending was pretty successful today.  

We ,an aged to get two pretty well done.  

We also got some of the side windows cut and one bent.

With the fuselage flipped, we put the rocket sled back up and got some holes cut in the top for the hangers.

The sides of the sled also got much attention.  

These odd shapes are the engine cowlings.  We hope to get the structure done tomorrow and start skinning them soon.

Students also got the cape in this huge bull.  The antlers are made to be removable because of the size.  It's a very nice bull; one of the largest we've ever played with at PHS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Not that I've ever personally done this, but I have...

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For that sort of cutting, Use X-Acto pen knives.  You only need to put in a new blade 10x as often.   If you do havee Xacto knives and they don't use htem, it's probably due to them being dull or out of blades.
View Quote

They've got plenty of pen knives, and new blades at their disposal.    For what they were doing in that instance, I think they liked the way thicker/stiffer blade was working.   Look at the way he's holding the knife.   They were tracing over the lines with the blade multiple times, not trying to cut it all at once.   They get cleaner, straighter lines in the drawing board that way.    We have three folding box cutters that are favorites for working with the drawing board.   He wasn't using much pressure, but I'll remind him to watch his thumbs.

The only blood drawn yesterday was from the suture needle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Update 1/24

Hard day of problem solving the engine cowlings.  The students and I all agreed, we dont think they are laid out correctly.  In the drawing, they are almost ventricle in orientation, but from every photo we can find,  they look like they are slanted inward, towards the fuselage.

To do this we had to rotate two of the internal frames our CAD team carved out for us.

What we want it to look like.

To allow for the corrected shape and a hollow look, we needed to make another internal frame, that will set back and properly orient on the 2x2.

We also did a little glass bending.  These are our last two front windows.

We still need to work out some kinks.

Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like a flat end mill they tacked a point on.   Do they rip the outer circumference for first pass like a Forstner wood bit?   I've always used split point and a punch if it walks at all, didn't ever try those "gimmick" ones that can't be sharpened with a grinder and dremel.
View Quote
No.

If you look closely the drill has the point but the drill is much like a "hole saw". It is cupped and if run slowly will make a better hole than a regular bit. I use them to make holes for plugs in my wood working because they make such a clean circle cut.

EBR

edt: to fix spellum mistakes
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]
All day in service today.   No work to show, but I've got some updated photos and plenty of time today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Minor update photos:

The edge we will try to reheat on Monday.    I think we can flatten it out with clamps and the 3/4" lath.   We were close on Thursday, but didn't have enough clamps on hand.    I may pick up a couple more this weekend.

It's funny how close the tail is to balanced, until you add the "football".   Of course, the prop really sinks it.

The slightly vertically challenged flight crew.

Thought you all might like to see the elk all set to dry out.   They did a pretty darn nice job on this.   We still need to add some epoxy, paint, and habitat before it will be ready for to go to it's home.

Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Minor update photos:

The edge we will try to reheat on Monday.    I think we can flatten it out with clamps and the 3/4" lath.   We were close on Thursday, but didn't have enough clamps on hand.    I may pick up a couple more this weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/BMwo87p.jpg

It's funny how close the tail is to balanced, until you add the "football".   Of course, the prop really sinks it.
https://i.imgur.com/Bpp8yDy.jpg

The slightly vertically challenged flight crew.
https://i.imgur.com/iRFsXwv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lHCt699.jpg

Thought you all might like to see the elk all set to dry out.   They did a pretty darn nice job on this.   We still need to add some epoxy, paint, and habitat before it will be ready for to go to it's home.

https://i.imgur.com/alzqMHf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ewrfCK3.jpg
View Quote
The tail looks awesome with a coat of paint.  Really makes all the detail work from the rivets, panels, and other details pop.  Good job!
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Over the years, I have always wondered do the people getting taxidermy work done, give back to the art program?

Pre-eta I so kinda wish I was a midget or little, little person and come to Powell high 1 weekend and play in and on all the art

SHIT doesnt Arfdom have movie people? They could do a movie where everthing comes alive, storybook +indian in the cupboard + night at the museum.....it would make 87zillion dollars
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Over the years, I have always wondered do the people getting taxidermy work done, give back to the art program?

Pre-eta I so kinda wish I was a midget or little, little person and come to Powell high 1 weekend and play in and on all the art

SHIT doesnt Arfdom have movie people? They could do a movie where everthing comes alive, storybook +indian in the cupboard + night at the museum.....it would make 87zillion dollars
View Quote

Most people who ask us to do taxidermy for them are very generous with donations thanking us.

It really helps us keep the kids supplied with good materials and supplies to continue to do taxidermy.

Every once in a while......no.  That hurts a bit, especially if it's something as crazy amazing like, say, the bear eating the whitetail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool to hear most folks are good

Now what about the movie deal, I can see it now...5 min into the credits "movie inspired by drunkin' Bansil" sounds like a spirit or goblin
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a sad day yesterday as my youngest son headed back to UW.  He sent me a text today saying that he'd discussed the shuttle problem(it is working, just not as he originally planned) with his Computer Science professors and they were intrigued.  They want him to go back and rework it again.

They want him to try "using an optocoupler to isolate the motors from the circuit ".  

I think it's awesome that a high school Art project is still going after over 2.5yrs, and is now finding new attention with Computer Science and Electrical engineering professors at UW.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I thought the motor driver used already had isolation isolated?  Weren't you using This board?  Or is there current sense on the doors to detect close?   I don't remember what was actually decided for duration - time, limit switch, or current sense.

What were the interrupts supposed to be from, I had no info, so trew out all suggestions that get rid of noise, the most common reason designs are flaky.
View Quote

I don't know much, other than there is a time limit that he changed as the motors have quickened over time, and the physical switch that the doors hit when closed.

This was the original set up.  It now just has the on demand feature.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know I mentioned motor speeds changing with time in the future (well, in the past, about the future, which is now), but are they quicker for both opening AND closing?  Check current draw from what it should be if it's a lot different, and make sure you have some spares (depending on how fast they're changing).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the motor driver used already had isolation isolated?  Weren't you using This board?  Or is there current sense on the doors to detect close?   I don't remember what was actually decided for duration - time, limit switch, or current sense.

What were the interrupts supposed to be from, I had no info, so trew out all suggestions that get rid of noise, the most common reason designs are flaky.

I don't know much, other than there is a time limit that he changed as the motors have quickened over time, and the physical switch that the doors hit when closed.

This was the original set up.  It now just has the on demand feature.  
I know I mentioned motor speeds changing with time in the future (well, in the past, about the future, which is now), but are they quicker for both opening AND closing?  Check current draw from what it should be if it's a lot different, and make sure you have some spares (depending on how fast they're changing).
We still have the two extra motors thst are ready and easy to install as replacements if needed.  I think it's mostly just loosening up that caused the motors to speed up.  They went from 42, to 37 seconds for opening and closING times.

One side still has a significant retardation in power to keep it equal with the other.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
+95.00   Crew members, and 2000 more rivets

$2,548.00  Total as of 1/22/19    So much for that 1200-1500 budget forcast at the beginning, huh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+35.00 for more plexiglass

$2453.00. Total as of 1/21/19.

$2,548.00  Total as of 1/22/19    So much for that 1200-1500 budget forcast at the beginning, huh.  
+$55 for Blackhawk gray/green and another sheet of plexiglass.

$2603.00. Total as of 1/27/19
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+35.00 for more plexiglass

$2453.00. Total as of 1/21/19.

Maybe you might have to sell more t shirts?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe you might have to sell more t shirts?
View Quote
We should be fine for finances, and the costs should start to taper off now, other than a few robotics parts.

I'm just disappointed I was so far off on my estimate.    
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#35]
The rivets have arrived!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The rivets have arrived!
View Quote
And children all over the land rejoiced!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably more like wept quietly while falling a sleep to visions of rivets in their heads
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Those screams were anguish, not exaltation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rivets have arrived!
Never before was the word "YAY!" heard to sound so much like "Awwww.... SHIT!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rivets have arrived!

And yet there were some who were secretly excited to see them.

It always amazes me who tasks attract what students.

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Update 1/28

And cries of joy rang out through the halls of PHS.

How did I forget we had this available.

We decided to replace the screen.....agsin.

More skinning on the nose.  This was the quiet portion of our day, so not to distract too much during my student teachers first full hour presentation.

We reinforced around the cockpit windows, then cut out the fuselage frames.

One of our pilots checking to see how the layout was going.

Booster seat may be necessary....and possible lengthening of features.

We can make them gain a little girth when we add uniforms.  The heads might be the main problem.

Landing gear details.

Most of this pipe will be covered, but it adds some structure for us.

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
That last picture will be helpful.  I thought we had that one, but couldn't find it for the students.

The mesh was some box we had at my house for our boys bathroom, sitting on top of the thrown, with towels, and stuff in it.

Wife wanted it gone, and I thought it might be useful for the screen.  We used it for the little vents on the sides of the tsil, near the base.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#44]
What poor hamster has to ride on the ass end of a UH-60?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Thst tail looks pretty dang OD green in thst picture..

I hope our gray/green isn't too gray.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That last picture will be helpful.  I thought we had that one, but couldn't find it for the students.

The mesh was some box we had at my house for our boys bathroom, sitting on top of the thrown, with towels, and stuff in it.

Wife wanted it gone, and I thought it might be useful for the screen.  We used it for the little vents on the sides of the tsil, near the base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was afraid the school Secretary was missing her in basket
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's far more grey than your current "forest green" color.

If a local shop is mixing it with a computer mixing thing, you can ask them to make it a certain tint different and they can adjust the mix pretty well sometimes, though it's hard to make black lighter (unless you buy 5 gallons of white).

This seems to be a more common color, in with the rest, I guess I never paid attention to the variations, but the radar/IR proof paints and high temp paints aren't the same colors as others, either, so don't sweat it too much.

https://i.imgur.com/SdqFG6i.jpg
View Quote
I'm not talking about our Marine One green.....I'm talking about the one you haven't seen yet.  The one we tried to match for 101st Airborne "blackhawk " color.

I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
For those interested, "London Has Fallen " has good Whitehawk scenes/ footage.  

It's on Syfy right now
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That last picture will be helpful. I thought we had that one, but couldn't find it for the students.

Wife wanted it gone, and I thought it might be useful for the screen. We used it for the little vents on the sides of the tsil, near the base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That last picture will be helpful. I thought we had that one, but couldn't find it for the students.

Wife wanted it gone, and I thought it might be useful for the screen. We used it for the little vents on the sides of the tsil, near the base.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top