Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great.......now that one looks like a ghost gray.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
May be Navy/USMC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is he going to break this to the kids?

Rotate Football 30° counter-clockwise, well, the vent exit, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How is he going to break this to the kids?

Rotate Football 30° counter-clockwise, well, the vent exit, anyway.
I'm afraid it's going to stay the way it is.  We'd have to start over completely.  The football stays, and the hole will be off a little.

It's amazing how just from a little different angle, how different parts can look.  Something to share with the students to again to reinforce having multiple references.

That last picture does look like an early model, based on some features it seems to be missing.  Maybe it changed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

After you got the wrinkles out, I didn't expect anything else to change, didn't think it needed to (once it was smooth).  I didn't understand the grating change, though the new one looks better.   You didn't answer if I should help or not, so I decided to be that annoying picky critic.

I haven't seen the collors you speak of, all the photos have been troop carrying Blackhawks, not medevac of a specific squadron.  It's been hard to find detail on some of these areas.
View Quote

Keep helping.  It makes the projects far better.  

My Principal used you as an example of the online help we get through "social media".  There is a new draft out of a possible social media policy change.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is our medevac gray/green color next to the Marine One green.

We might get some on there soon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Update 1/29

More added details to the tail rotor.  That reference picture was very helpful.

Students are still working on supports for the landing gear.   When these are secured, they will start skinning the sides.

The "Rocket Sled" to fuselage mating is coming along very well.  The skinning is not easy.  They are using two layers of watercolor paper to do the last few spots.

Not sure what the bulb on the front of the nose is, but we were busy sculpting it today.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does the watercolor paper lay down easier if you put it on while soaking wet, or does it tear quick?

The ball is their nifty high zoom camera and FLIR ball to see everywhere around them, how we get the cool footage on YouTube.

(you can click and zoom to see the two brackets with screws holding the gimbal, which sit in a ring on helo floor allowing it to spin around 360°, then the inner truncated sphere can swivel 180° front to back through bottom arc.)  Well, the whole thing is a gimbal mount

https://i.imgur.com/KdfBgDM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EhCyiVP.jpg

NOT A BLACKHAWK  But might take artistic license to make it look closer to this so people can figure out what it is?  Just put circular lenses on the ball with the purlish coated glass look.
https://i.imgur.com/dtQlYDh.jpg
View Quote
The water color paper does work when water is applied, it just depends on the size and curve to how it behaves.  Sometimes they use water spritzed on it, and other times, they just use it dry.

The ball  is something other than what's pictured.    I'll have to see if I can upload a picture of what we are looking at.  It looks pretty different, but may be the same piece of hardware..

It's centered on the Coast Guard version.   On Marine One, it's off to the left side.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
May be Navy/USMC.
View All Quotes
Well, he is a LtCmdr.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That last picture does look like an early model, based on some features it seems to be missing.  Maybe it changed.
View Quote
Maybe it did.  I posted it more for the screen.

Looks to be in the proper orientation here!

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Couple more for you to ponder.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Your nose bulb is probably an AN-APQ-174 radar. That's what is in that position on the MH 60K.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ARFCOM,

Meet your flight crew.  They will be here Thursday for orientation and uniform fitting.
View Quote
Are there enough 2 foot tall midgets/dwarfs in the world?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does the watercolor paper lay down easier if you put it on while soaking wet, or does it tear quick?

The ball is their nifty high zoom camera and FLIR ball to see everywhere around them, how we get the cool footage on YouTube.

(you can click and zoom to see the two brackets with screws holding the gimbal, which sit in a ring on helo floor allowing it to spin around 360°, then the inner truncated sphere can swivel 180° front to back through bottom arc.)  Well, the whole thing is a gimbal mount

https://i.imgur.com/KdfBgDM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EhCyiVP.jpg

NOT A BLACKHAWK  But might take artistic license to make it look closer to this so people can figure out what it is?  Just put circular lenses on the ball with the purlish coated glass look.
https://i.imgur.com/dtQlYDh.jpg
View Quote
Interesting intake and exhaust on that bird.  I wonder if some of those features were plucked from the "stealth hawk" version that was reportedly used in the Bin Laden raid.  Looks like they'd be great a protecting the intake from a direct shot for radar and debris, and then shielding / diffusing the exhaust to reduce thermal signature.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just like the tire size, it's going to be in the air, and the one guy who would notice might not remember exactly unless he had a photo handy.  There's a LOT more itneresting stuff around to catch eyes than the tail rotor transmission hub.   Theoretically, anyway.

I don't know if Guns has figured out the trig for the angle of view from observers to make inside windows looklike AF1 on one side and Medevac on other.  Maybe a partition board that drops down 1 ft from ceiling, so window can be seen through, but interior is different decoration, blue and no curtains on one side, warm white/cozy y ellow light and curtains on the M1 side.   If I'm thinking of it correctly, the M1 side will only be viewable from a STEEP angle due to it facing the computers and walls, so the partition could be further to that side than right down the middle to make the exact same effect, since there is a little room from environmentally forced perspective.

Most people won't catch onto the theme from the first view, they'll see Marine One and White House, Monument detail and go "wow, and not walk around to the other side right away.
View Quote
As usual, good questions and I'm not sure how we are going to handle the interior.  The kids have talked about it s bit, but not in depth.  One of those questions we are saving for later.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Update 1/29.2
Evening addition.
Funny thing, we went through 1000 rivets in 2 days. I'm not sure I've got enough for what we've got left.

Kids started on some painted details on the tail rotor.

We are almost ready for skin on these.

A little of the new paint going in the blackhawk door.

I like the look of it on the door.  Seems about right.

Skinning around the front windows is getting more and more complete.

Funny thing about watching London Has Fallen again last night......I noticed we had the windows on the port side of Marine One wrong.

We checked photos again today and made some mods.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's OK, I'm used to it.   Seems my only reason is to be an example to others, of how to not do things.
View Quote
I always tell people I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]
A little modelers' secret is to add some light gray paint to whatever color you are trying to model.
The reason being, your eyes are used to seeing things washed out/hazy at any distance, due to moisture or dust in the air.

You can accomplish this later with an airbrush, but you should also keep in mind that no military aircraft stay freshly painted for more than a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A little modelers' secret is to add some light gray paint to whatever color you are trying to model.
The reason being, your eyes are used to seeing things washed out/hazy at any distance, due to moisture or dust in the air.

You can accomplish this later with an airbrush, but you should also keep in mind that no military aircraft stay freshly painted for more than a couple weeks.
View Quote
Excellent advice, I'll remind the kids that we need to do this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your nose bulb is probably an AN-APQ-174 radar. That's what is in that position on the MH 60K.

http://www.airvectors.net/avs70_1_04.png
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Update 1/30

It was a good day.    We are nearing completion of the skinning.  That is a monumental moment in these projects.  We are far from the end, but at least we know there is an end.

Details will probably overwhelm us at times, but this thing will get completed.  Hopefully robotics comes through for us.  That may be the challenging part.

Tomorrow, we are going to begin setting up and laying out the cables to hang the helicopter in the display area.

The tail area got more details to smooth out the transition between the football and the main tail.

We are going to try a little expanding foam, then shave it down and blend it in.  We will cover it with a skin before painting.

The little nose radar dome is nearing ready for mounting.

Side windows were fixed and details are now being added around them.

The nearly finished the nose skinning.

The glass tops were finished today.  We also removed more of the frames that would be visible through them.

The turbine frames were finished this morning and we began fitting them to the top of the blackhawk.

Fitting 2x2s to them so that they can be attached to the internal frame of our rocket sled.

These are our 2x2 hole points for the turbines. Everything seems to line up pretty darn well.

These went surprisingly fast for skinning.  Students broke them down into the flat areas first,  and proceeded, one side at a time.  They each would skin one area on each turbine, then move on.  His way sides matched on both turbines, even though more than three students were working on them.  Kind of assembly line type production.

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What is the FRP you use to smooth things out?  I saw it being used from a tub, is there a single part FRP without catalyst?  I'm curious about it if so!  Dental plaster, but lighter, would be neat, if it doesn't crack.

Reason I ask is to mention the radome should be like an egg smooth, aside from the white ribs.    Air moves around parabolas nicely with little turbulence/drag compared to spheres.  On second and third looks, it may be smoked/coated glass for optics.  I'm seeing different versions, not sure which one you'll pick.  They all have ribs, none have ledges perpendicular to direction of travel, though.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since I missed the  football last time, figured I'd pipe up here.

Slightly parabolic, no edge/ledge.  Just a touch more egg shaped.  Move the tip forward about an inch and stretch the rest around it in.. a  parabola.  That way it doesn't look like you moulded it from a balloon.  Great Stuff foam would be fine if you can get it smooth without pinholes, I believe you've done that once or twice before...  The sealed one seems to be in panels, like eiths, tapering together same way as tali football, but, 8 of them.  Maybe 12 @ 30° each.
VIDEO GAME RENDERING OF Marine One
https://i.imgur.com/sQZALTe.jpg

REAL One at Mar-A-Logo (mabye above isn't video game?):  April 2017 had tinted glass?
https://i.imgur.com/CIYF5iQ.jpg

September 2017 Wikipedia
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/VH-60_Marine_One_%28modified%29.jpg
Versioni 2 of above

But not this much:
https://i.imgur.com/9QGsjH3.jpg

Maybe it is a camera, it looks pretty spherical in this view:
https://i.imgur.com/tDsCYdy.jpg

Uhh, nevermind.   Just make it smooth as a ... something really smooth.

The new one seems like a cartoon.
Click To View Spoiler

--RAMBLING SOME MORE EDIT...

I'm not sure what this is from, but could be a solution to the glass vs grey, depending on what you decide.  I am currently not positive which version is in use during summer 2018 to get it proper.
https://i.imgur.com/UOgHU1e.jpg

--ETA87:
No extension on this one, should be visible, and this is a SUPER high resolution image click to see the 4k.
Marine One, July 2017 from Time Magazine
https://i.imgur.com/h2KUHVd.jpg

Marine One with President Donald Trump aboard lifts off from the South Lawn of the White House, Saturday, July 22, 2017 in Washington for a short flight to Joint Base Andrews.
J. David Ake—AP

Full article complaining about Trump using the helicopter here if you care, or for reference , maybe they photoshopped pod out, it IS Time.  Actually, that may not even be Marine One.
View Quote
Those are great pictures and your "rambling" dang near went word for word the conversation we were having yesterday staring at not so clear pictures.

Those pictures help a lot.  The back half will be molded once we secure it to the nose, sometime today.  We think it's not glass, and smooth, also.  My student started saying badwords, and mumbling something about me disappearing soon, when I suggested maybe we should mold plexiglass around the nose of it.

She will be much happier to see these photos and I'll be able to breath a little easier when she has one of the blue-(melt your skin off) glue guns handy.

ETA: The FRP paste is some kind of construction adhesive for plywood?  I think that's what they wold me it was for.  It's like a thick Elmers paste.  It's water soluble,  doesn't smell, and hardens to a non flexible state.

We've used it in a pinch for hide paste on our taxidermy projects.  We use the hide paste in a pinch to do our heavy duty paper mache.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Update 1/31

The mural logo for Marine One is looking pretty good.

The district got my favorite facilities guy over here this morning, and we got to mapping out where we needed the cables.

The tape on the floor is the location we need for each cable.  This puts the helo in td he perfect spot for the blades and the tail rotor.

It looks like the two cables from the viking ship will work, but they need moved a little.  All we have to do is add the third cable.

Rob is a great guy and suggested we take Marine One for a little test flight once the cables are up.  He wants to make sure everything hangs correctly.  So, it looks like we may have some test flight photos soon.

The tail rotor transition looks pretty good.  A little more blending with watercolor paper and we should be ready for paint.

We noticed that there is one of these holes on the port side, but not on the starboard.

The starboard side has this on the front of the top.

The nose is getting its skin and blending.

We are working again on the nose windows.  We are reworking the skin in the forward corners and reshaping the glass again.

More nose and radar dome.

The turbines are soooooo close to skinned. Just a few more spots, then they will begin working on their details.

End of the day.....   got to try put both up there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sorry for accidentally repeating your conversation.  I swear I didn't eavesdrop.

What's the paste called?  You conveniently had the tub label facing away from the camera in that picture.
View Quote
I knew it....   You're Russian! And spying on us for details on Marine One!  

I'll have to look tomorow to find the brand on the FRP paste.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dome finishing idea:
matte black fabric mesh, a thick nylon, cut into panels that meet at tip, like on the football.

Horizontally truncate (sawzall) bottom quarter of dome flat, stretch fabric across that, add camera.

Get one of those mini smoked CCTV camera covers that are 2" and stick it onto the fabric.

There's so few pictures, people won't know it's not perfect, heck , I didn't even know it was there, but I don't pay much attention to things.   The camera dome would look cool and give a "purpose" to it for observers.  They'll see and say 'oh, they even remembered the camera!", when I've only found one picture showing it.  Otherwise, they'll look up and wonder what that thingy is.

Many size options on this one, which you could hit with tint inside, tint=black paint, a couple of these could also replicate another feature like it on the bottom of cabin it looks like, change color or size a bit, they go from 1.2" to 20" in every size here:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNV47S1Or a bit bigger one that has a fake camera looking thing in it, just don't put batteries in it.
www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC05K9W
View Quote
Ok, show me where you are seeing the camera or bubble lens?  On the window on the blackhawk side? On the fuselage somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Update 2/1

Backwards test flight......

We didnt get time to do the whole thing today.  We did get the tail up and made sure there was plenty of room for the rotor.

No making fun of the facial expressions.
Lots of concentration.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Update continued:

First windows going up.

Added track.

Radar dome finishing up skin.

We aren't happy with some of the contours on the turbines so we began adj8sting them a bit.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Instead of squares of fabric/paper/canvas, would something like pantyhose or ripped yoga pants work as the final skin to hid bumps?  Yes, serious.   Trying to think of what would end up optically smooth-ish when pulled across tangents, but I doesn't know how absorbent to adhesives those types of things are (plastics vs papers), I can't say if they'd work or not.  Long, thin, tapered strips going front to back, meeting at face/front center, or one piece just stretched over and glued down.

½ oz fiberglass is pretty flexible, bu would still need relief cuts in it for the smooth finish, I've never tried the above for , only fiberglass for strength.    Could either save or waste FRP and glue, and may increase or decrease headaches (I won't even guess at logarithmic vs linear axis relationship between the above factors).   Result may look better or worse.

There could be a whole different frustration dimension involved, but I know it's there from some some posts.   That dimension could also spike or drop depending on success of method, or if it turns out like dissolved surfboard.
View Quote
Could work.  We've used some real thin fabric on the shock towers.  It seemed to work pretty well.

The thin newspaper also works fairly well.  We will go over the heavier canvas on the nose with that next week.  They just wanted to take up some of the difference with the thicker canvas first.  It also adds quite a bit of strength where it might get bumped periodically.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Great progress!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Since it's hanging, adding these "tear drop" domes to the bottom will add intreste, even if it's not The Trump Marine One, it's a Marine One.

Pod looks green on top, matte black on bottom with a smaller dome inset like.  Bottom will be viewed more than sides from angle I just saw it hanging...

Reposting pic from above, and the image above this one above for pod coloring/decoration to be more interesting with the camera window inset, I think these are mostly inset as well so as not to be obvious from the side.

https://i.imgur.com/eSP9qTt.jpg
View Quote
I bet those are DIRCM turrets. The red can looking things on the VH-3 are an earlier version.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Not to hijack the thread but your class needs to make me an RCA Nipper Dog so I can put it along side my RCA tube console radio

Originals are NOT effen cheap!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#44]
@Guns762

No update today?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Guns762

No update today?
View Quote

Sorry.  I'm a little late.

Busy day.

We did manage to cut parts of our glass corners with the Dremel to get the right fit.  That was an excellent idea.  

We reworked the other one, but it still needs a bit more manipulation.   We also talked about tinting some of the windows.  We think it's just going to look better all around.  I'm going to grab some tint tomorrow from the auto parts store and we wil play around with it.

The nose got more smoothing and some caulking.  With some paper mache, it should be pretty decent.

The action figures keep finding new places to watch.  One was hanging off the lift to the left for a while by one hand.  They all seem to think it's funny to pose them in new places and see how long it takes me to notice.

The windows edges got some attention to prepare for glass.

With both turbines up there, we decided to put the rotor hub up there too.  

With the hub up, students suggested we take a look with a couple blades on there too..

Matching up the second turbine contour we adjusted has not been easy.  

Maybe tomorrow we can get it matched up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Are the action figures all the same scale? I seem to remember that the one orange one is larger. If so, how about getting two more and then do y’alls magic to make them the pilot and co-pilot?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are the action figures all the same scale? I seem to remember that the one orange one is larger. If so, how about getting two more and then do y’alls magic to make them the pilot and co-pilot?
View Quote
They are all the same.  They are "Big Figs".    I promised one of the crew he could start working on them soon.  He has to finish the glass corner first.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Update 2/5

Nice little letter from the White House today!

Not quite a Marine One visit, but a nice way to start a very cold Tuesday morning.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn!

Congrats!
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top