BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update 2/5

Nice little letter from the White House today!

Not quite a Marine One visit, but a nice way to start a very cold Tuesday morning.
https://i.imgur.com/tFqFedU.jpg
View Quote
Outstanding!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
That's cool!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Some students suggested it was "just" an autopen signature......

This might indicate it's real.  

This kids are way more excited about this than I thought they would be.  
They are taking pictures of the letter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some students suggested it was just an autopen signature......

https://i.imgur.com/MFKjJhE.jpg
View Quote
The signature being autopenned would not invalidate the personalized nature of the message or the fact it was sent in the first place. They have every right to be excited.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe have mini Trump holding a properly scaled letter on the balcony as if he is making a speech???
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Most awesome
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe have mini Trump holding a properly scaled letter on the balcony as if he is making a speech???
View Quote
Our President Trump is not posable.  We already overcooked our Mr. Kuhn principal to the point that he is a charred barely recognizable form, and have to redo him.   Another President Trump may bring revolt.

Paper already saw the letter from President Trump and is interviewing students about it today.   They plan on running a story in the next few days.  There is supposed to be a photographer coming this afternoon to take pictures.

I've tried to show several faculty members the letter, but the kids have been showing them all pictures of it all day long.

It's fun to watch peoples reaction to just holding a letter from the President.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our President Trump is not posable.  We already overcooked our Mr. Kuhn principal to the point that he is a charred barely recognizable form, and have to redo him.   Another President Trump may bring revolt.

Paper already saw the letter from President Trump and is interviewing students about it today.   They plan on running a story in the next few days.  There is supposed to be a photographer coming this afternoon to take pictures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

You and your class are famous now....not just arf famous!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
More Winning from our President. Hell of a letter for you and your team's efforts!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The signature being autopenned would not invalidate the personalized nature of the message or the fact it was sent in the first place. They have every right to be excited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree.Several people have remarked about this passage......

The First Lady and I enjoyed seeing the picture of you working on a White House model, and we think it looks terrific!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That doesn't happen every day.   Pity you won't be at the Art Show/contest since the other districts turned on you.

You deserve that, though I'm still surprised.

I don't have any nitpicking of your work today, which should bring joy to all.
View Quote
I'll do it for you.   We had the rotor blades backwards in our pictures the other day.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:. I don't have any nitpicking of your work today, which should bring joy to all.
View Quote
Oi!  Nobody gave the QC Dept the day off!  Back on your head!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
That's really cool!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That doesn't happen every day.   Pity you won't be at the Art Show/contest since the other districts turned on you.
View Quote
I wonder what it would take to get shirts made up with a pic of the White House display on the front and the President's letter on the back and then have folks walking around the next art show?

That's pretty cool,  guns.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome update. Have missed a lot of the thread but it's another great one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update 2/5

Not quite a Marine One visit, but a nice way to start a very cold Tuesday morning.
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Update 2/5

View Quote
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder what it would take to get shirts made up with a pic of the White House display on the front and the President's letter on the back and then have folks walking around the next art show?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]
@Guns

Maybe get a nice photo of the Prez and 1st Lady and send it up there for both to sign it and make a nice mini display near your Whitehouse?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Guns

Maybe get a nice photo of the Prez and 1st Lady and send it up there for both to sign it and make a nice mini display near your Whitehouse?
View Quote
That's not a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, official update for 2/5

A grabbed a shot first thing this morning as students were taking pictures of their letter.  You will see lots of hats this week as it's a "themed week" for raising money for cancer research. Kids are allowed to wear hoods up, and hats if they want.  It's not normally allowed.

I could have taken photos all day long like this one.    The kids were very excited to see this.  

The HMX-1 logo is getting closer to finished.

We are still working on this junction.  We want to see more of a lip.

Paper mache layer going on the nose.  Sanding will be next.

The QC dept (student union)  found this little mistake.  We sculpted the door side (starboard ) of Marine One.  We didn't realize, mostly because there aren't as many pictures=no doors for president to exit, the shock tower on the port side is much like a normal blackhawk.  

This work needs to be adjusted.  The young man sculpting it realized this looking at some tiny photos for detail right behind the cabin door.

Ooops.

We began work on the cowling covers today on the turbines.  Lots of photos helped, and we found that port and starboard sides are not the same.

The rear covers/cowlings are also pretty complicated.   We need more photos.  We've got some lines layer out and need to cut out some areas.

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang it....

Watching Fox Buisness, and Presidents limo is parked out back of the White House......and there's a darn canopy over the door.  

May be a point we have to go mess with.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be pretty darn hilarious.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Update 2/5

View Quote
... that's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update 2/5

View Quote
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Update 2/6

The day was a mixed bag.  

We are continuing to add smaller details to the shape of our helicopter.  These kinds of projects are fun, but challenging.

We look at photos, new photos, old photos, different versions of the VH-60 and UH-60, then discuss and make a plan.

And this is where the mixed bag began.  We were close on our turbines, and likes what was shaping up, but the photos kept telling us we were on the wrong path.

The drawing we were using is this......
We think it's very close, but it isn't what we are seeing in the photographs.  

One of our better images to work from.  You can see the differences in the exhaust.

So, what do we do......

Rip off the skin to where we think the real exhaust starts.

This is an easy thing to do, but to move that solid frame back is a whole different ball game.
We had to be careful not to wreck the end shape.

Tomorrow we will rebuild the vents, probably with mat board instead of the lath, reskin, and try to get closer to what we see in the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Some new walk around video from yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Display area walk around.  Look for past project nods.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice article in the paper today.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#35]
That is really cool.  I'm sure the students will remember this forever.  Awesome job Guns!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Update 2/7

Grabbed a quick shot of the cables all ready to go.

My artist thinks these duck forms will be a great base for the pods on the underside of Marine One.

Short sleeve or long sleeve?  We are going with short sleeve, which means, the lower arms will need sculpted later.

That punch we used for the tin, worked perfectly for some detail holes on the starboard side of our helo.

Our cowling conundrum continued.  We cut it back even further.

Not sure what caused all the expressions.  

We thought this was what we wanted........

We decided to add just a bit back on.  The vents are much more set back where we wanted them, and now our proportions seem better.

A little paint before we add the chromed squarish portion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Continued:

What else could we rework?

How about the corner windows?

The students pointed out when detailing the nose of our blackhawk that we don't have the windows right.

And, they are right, so we cut out more skin.

Addimg the removed material to our formed glass, to then role out as a pattern for new glass.

New glass being cut out.  I was sure this guy was going to get upset when I told him what we were going to do, but he just smiled and dove right into making new glass.  Good student.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was thinking it was not an autopen based on the front, seeing the back definitely doesn't look autopen.

I have an Obama autopen signature, so this makes me an expert.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
HELL YEAH WE ARE!

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  Short sleeve or long sleeve?  We are going with short sleeve, which means, the lower arms will need sculpted later.
https://i.imgur.com/mqNaydD.jpg
View Quote
And thousands of Sergeant Majors' eyelids simultaneously started twitching...
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our "research" shows short sleeves in all the pictures we can find of HMX-1 pilots
Long sleeves would have been much easier to do.    If we are wrong, someone point it out now before we make lower arms.....

Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Our "research" shows short sleeves in all the pictures we can find of HMX-1 pilots
Long sleeves would have been much easier to do.    If we are wrong, someone point it out now before we make lower arms.....

https://i.imgur.com/wDkfR57.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rf1wd44.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0LMoyZZ.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know for sure but I would think that Dress Charlie or Dress Delta would be dictated by the season.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
That last photo is not a pilot. Marine Corps pilots are all Officers. This sergeant is probably a crew chief ...maybe part of the maintenance crew. But not a pilot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Outstanding Job students

Guns

and Mr. President and First Lady, thank you and MAGA
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Above the fold even!  Hope it makes it to the WY "Big Paper".

There's a small error, though.  She was quoted as calling guns "An Excellent teach..".  while partially correct, it should read as "Most Inspiring leader who allows students to learn many disciplines through guidance, a True National Asset".
View Quote
Meh. He's already got a better title.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Well don't beat all get out.

Now a full page in the year bool needs to be a photo of the letter .

And, each student that is part of this project needs to get a copy.

Just a suggestion,

EBR
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Above the fold even!  Hope it makes it to the WY "Big Paper".

There's a small error, though.  She was quoted as calling guns "An Excellent teach..".  while partially correct, it should read as "Most Inspiring leader who allows students to learn many disciplines through guidance, a True National Asset".
........Father of Unicorns.....and a dragon....
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top