Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]
CAD drawings look like X-rays

EBR

Page owner
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Pilots are on board, and seated.

Robotics is currently working to see if we can get the motor to open our door.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Update 5/6

There have been many times this year that I seriously questioned if we would be able to reach many of our major goals.

I'm happy to share that today we are much closer to reaching the powered sliding door.  

We have about 7 real days left with Seniors......one of which is our Robotics Engineer.

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Update continued......

I'll have to get detail photos of the door motor and set up tomorrow.  That all happened at the very end of today.

We started the day with work on the windshield wipers.  We cut up a single rear wiper blade to get the parts we would need for both.

The arms we made out of simple pine.

A little cut at the end, then glued it on backwards to get the bent angle we viewed in the reference photos.

A little paint and they are ready when we finish the windshield trim.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You will have to forgive us for the lack of detail in the cabin.

The pilots sit on simple posts to get them into the position we need.

The windshield is hiding many of our faults. It does give a nice effect as you walk around the display viewing it at different angles.

Trim going on permanently.

Our windows need some serious cleaning.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a very nice plotter.  The drawing is a penultimate "final touch" if displayed, should put up the electrical schematic next to it, it'd fit on 8½×11 paper even.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot to add these last night.  I took these as it was still hanging in the plotter.

CAD is working to get us a presentation display of their work from the original drawing.  We will hopefully frame this and hang it under the trees.

If you look closely, you can see the kids work, overlapping the original.  It has all the individual bulkhead ribs, spine, and orientation points on the outside.

https://i.imgur.com/yXYXhfx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mMz9GkJ.jpg
That's a very nice plotter.  The drawing is a penultimate "final touch" if displayed, should put up the electrical schematic next to it, it'd fit on 8½×11 paper even.
You saw the picture, there is no as built schematic of that wiring
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot to add these last night.  I took these as it was still hanging in the plotter.

CAD is working to get us a presentation display of their work from the original drawing.  We will hopefully frame this and hang it under the trees.

If you look closely, you can see the kids work, overlapping the original.  It has all the individual bulkhead ribs, spine, and orientation points on the outside.

https://i.imgur.com/yXYXhfx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mMz9GkJ.jpg

That's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This project is proof that sometimes, you can have it all!
View Quote
We will see.

I talked to Top_Men last night.  He's got a week left before he gets to come home from Laramie for a short break.

I told him about our door and the spool method that is being tested.  He cautioned me to consider another method, as they had trouble with that on one of their robots.  The cable stretches, and doesn't always unspool correctly.  It also doesn't tend to last very long.

He suggested a garage door opener type system.  It would have a sprocket on the end of the motor, that would move the chain end of a loop.  I'm going to talk to our Robotics Engineer, and see what he thinks about using that idea.

It shouldn't require much of any extra work to set up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Update 5/7

We are very close to mounting the windshield wipers.

The bottom windshield trim is finally glued on.

We are hoping to get the top trim piece on tomorrow.

This next part was just plain funny.

The "Russians" hacked Marine One!  Problem is, it was Our Maine One.

We were working on the windshield when the tail rotor started up and the lights started flashing, then staying on.  I started looking around for our Robotics Engineer, and nothing .   I searched for him in the library, and robotics room...no dice.

Turns out the "Russians"(Robotics Engineer) were in the neighboring classroom, and watching and wirelessly messing with us with the helicopter.  

They were having a good laugh.  It was pretty darn funny.

Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
We now have music!  

"Hail to the Chief" was just playing from our helicopter.    
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is our first test of the speakers.

"Hail to the Chief", I just caught the end of it.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Update 5/8

@FB41 Gifted us a cool surprise today.  He warned me that I should have a freshman open it.

I had just the student come to mind.

They weren't sure what might happen, so some took defensive positions behind "cover".

He had help....

The kids were excited and wanted to start labeling everything.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Update 5/8

@FB41 Gifted us a cool surprise today.  He warned me that I should have a freshman open it.

https://i.imgur.com/xr5heZw.jpg

They weren't sure what might happen, so some took defensive positions behind "cover".
https://i.imgur.com/BT3nfiT.jpg

He had help....
https://i.imgur.com/IculBAv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WgssnXC.jpg
View Quote
First thing to do is to label the label maker.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 5/8

https://i.imgur.com/xr5heZw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BT3nfiT.jpg

He had help....
https://i.imgur.com/IculBAv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WgssnXC.jpg
Perfect idea.

We were so busy today with two deer going together thst we didn't have time to play with it yet.  Tomorrow......yeah, it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Update 5/8 continued.

We had a freelance journalist stop by today and want to get the tour.  She took lots of pictures and video.  We will see what becomes of it.

We are sooooooooooo close to being finished with the exterior.  The top trim piece was a real pain today.  It just didn't want to line up or stick to the glass.  At the very end of the day, with 3 different teams working on it all day, we are darn close.

We need a little paint correction tomorrow, then we should be good.  Robotics has a bit more hardware to add, but the software is also close to done.

Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Any idea what it weighs?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any idea what it weighs?
View Quote
What else but 87#???!!!  
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any idea what it weighs?
View Quote
My guess would be under 250.  That would include the hardware weve added for the door, electronics, ect.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It really did come together amazingly!
View Quote
HOLD THE LINE!!!!!

RIVETS INBOUND!!!  
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Half of our light string in the White House has burned out.......... Of course, it's the half that is fished through the outer decks.

New light strip is on it's way, and we've fished out most of the old Christmas lights.   We are going to run them a bit different so that they are more easily replaced in the future.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Update 5/9

What a day.

We made progress with the front trim of our helo.

New rivets weren't embraced with open arms....yes these are nails we cut the heads off of and used the same, when we ran low before.     They are cheap and readily available.

A few got installed today, but not nearly as many as I wanted.

Most of our time was spent trouble shooting Christmas lights.

Several of the LED bulbs have burned out already, and half of one of our strings quit.  We tried several things, but in the end, we just cut out the entire string.

Its the string that lights up the exterior portico.

Good thing Amazon Prime is fast.  We should have a new string of LED tape lights by Sunday.  We will be able to set the color, and hopefully install them in a manner that they can be replaced somewhat easily if need be.

My "A" team jumped right on this problem today and did a great job trouble shooting and coming up with a replacement plan.  Great group of kids.  

With some touch up paint, and a few hours next Monday we should have it looking and working better than before.

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did you label the label maker yet?

I suppose you didn't bother to take the helo apart to professionally label both ends of each wire.   I can forgive you for that.  There's not much time left and it works beautifully!

This has been the most prodigiously WINNING extravaganza yet!   You and your students should be bursting with pride.   I am just from reading the thread and looking at the pitchers.
View Quote
No time to play with the label maker.

The kids are very, very proud of what they've done.  

Yesterday when we were playing with the door again, one stated,  "This is like Christmas morning."

I'm very proud of how well they've worked together, and the persistence they've shown, especially on days like today.

We all want to be done, but they know we still have work to do, and they were actually excited to rework the White House lights and finish the rivets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The cheapest ones possible on amazon aren't always the wisest choice.  Their power supplies are pretty bad.  The LEDs themselves are likely still good.   99% chance they'll still work with a new power supply if they have the plugin type connector.

--ETA:  Ignore the above.  
View Quote
I bought them(Christmas lights) from the local ACE store.

3yr guarentee.....yeah, right.

The lights were one of those on the fly ideas, and we should have ordered something instead of just buying local.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Update 5/10
We had many students gone the last two days for regional Track.  This included critical team members like Robotics Engineer.
White House renovation continues:  
These are the new holes we will fish the tape strip through on Monday.

After cleaning off debris,  the deck had to be repainted in some places.

Library of Congress now getting an evening patina.

Rivets and paint are now finished on the front of our VH-60.  Other than robotics, and placing our crewmember,  our helicopter is now complete

Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It looks perfect.  Shouldn't take long to mount the new lights, the stickum that comes with the strip, if you got what I think you have, you need to press and hold firmly for about 10 seconds for it to stick really good for long, it appears to stick right away, then falls down.   I ended up using wire staples over it in a garage due to temp swings.

LED Strip is the one with the silver remote and a rainbow of color buttons to pick?   If so, the "One brightness click up from orange-yellow" replicates incandescent lighting well, they're extremely bright, you may need the dimmest setting (and a dimming filter).
View Quote
Good advice.  I'll remind the kids to hold it for 10sec.

Yeah, I'm hoping they are brighter than the Christmas lights.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My shirt has arrived in Saudi Arabia.
View Quote
Awesome!

Proof of Life photo required.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#37]
White House renovation is now complete.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 5/13

It's all on Robotics now..........

Robotics is still working on the door opening mechanism.   It took a little convincing that "garage door opener" was the way to go.   It's going to be a big o'll plate of crow for me if it doesn't work.  

White House renovation of the lights is complete.

New remote sensor is visible in the 2nd row window, 2nd from right.   Now if we can keep students from putting the lights on "party mode" we will be good.   Looked like there was a dance party in there most of the morning.  One of my student stole the remote and kept changing it.     Kids big enough at 6'2" and a wrestler, I wasn't having much luck getting it away from him.  I'm too dang slow.

The colors choices really make a nice upgrade for the project.   We will be able to "change" them for different holidays when needed.

This was chosen by the students as the best light color.

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Light is aGood Upgade!

Did the door ever work with the spool method, or is that why it's being rebuilt with a carrier (I'm assuming?)
View Quote
The spool method has not been reliable for the robotics projects in the past.   Top_Men as well as the instructor warned me not to go with this method.   It also wasn't reliably closing the door all the way.

The garage door opener design should get us long term reliability, as well as more consistent opening and closing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Project looks fantastic Guns. Compliments to the kids.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#42]
That is beautiful!

The unicorn on the roof is appropriate!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That is beautiful!

The unicorn on the roof is appropriate!
View Quote
We kind of forgot about them till later in the day.  We had them up there so they wouldn't get destroyed during the light rework.

They are back on the bottom deck now.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Project looks fantastic Guns. Compliments to the kids.
View Quote
Thank you, I'll pass that on to them.

We began getting some signatures done today.  Tomorrow we take a group photo for the paper and students will sign their names to the project.

Robotics assures me we will get this done, even if he has to come back next week after graduation this Sunday.

He's got a belt to drive the door, and was going to 3D print some clamps to attach the cable to the belt tonight.   He was accepting the "Science " award tonight at the Senior dinner, so I hope he got it done.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Update 5/14

The signing of the project has begun.    We thought we needed to recognize ARFCOM members that supported this project with ideas, and also  financially.   Thank you all again.

Students are enjoying signing their names to the work today.  We are going to knock down the brightness of the signatures tomorrow after everyone has finished.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Our group photo happened today.  We had quite a few students forget to wear their shirts today.

I definitely did not have an adequate camera to do this right(wide angle would have been good).  My guess is the photos the newspaper took will be much better, and not miss so many faces.  We did get both our Principal and Vice Principal to show up and get in the picture.    

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#47]
What a fantastic class!

That will probably be the best-remembered picture in their yearbooks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
More update 5/14

I thought the Capital building was looking exceedingly good.  

We have a special "Thank You" section for some special folks that helped us out this year.

Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Fantastic job once again on this year's project!
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top