Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Homo erectus, LOL
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's interesting how certain they are about all of it until a couple years later they discover something that refutes everything they "knew" a short time earlier.
I've seen the pattern repeated so many times, I put very little stock in these "amazing discoveries" anymore.
Give it 4 or 5 decades to be put in proper context with other discoveries and then we'll see if it actually means anything.

Way too much speculation being passed off as fact.

Many (if not most) scientists are too arrogant and worried about making a name in the community to adhere to any scientific rigor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what gets me.

is they say all this amazing shit, then you see what they found and its always like a jawbone and a finger bone.

yet they knew that was the bone of a watapotomus and they can tell you everything about it down to its favorite color.

It's interesting how certain they are about all of it until a couple years later they discover something that refutes everything they "knew" a short time earlier.
I've seen the pattern repeated so many times, I put very little stock in these "amazing discoveries" anymore.
Give it 4 or 5 decades to be put in proper context with other discoveries and then we'll see if it actually means anything.

Many (if not most) scientists are too arrogant and worried about making a name in the community to adhere to any scientific rigor.

I don't think that is true at all. The problem is too many news stories over sensationalize science stories- many times with head lines that are flat out wrong. They take what is published in journals, dumb it down, and or over hype the story. I see it all the time. The actual releases from the research are usually MUCH more reserved.

And while we may not know exactly where this fossil fits in the puzzle, we have a lot of evidence to show that we at least know what the general picture looks like.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Can we not just put this all to rest once and for all?

Just ask Brian Williams.  He'll know for sure.

TC
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
but but but muh bible and muh creation
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what gets me.

is they say all this amazing shit, then you see what they found and its always like a jawbone and a finger bone.

yet they knew that was the bone of a watapotomus and they can tell you everything about it down to its favorite color.

I seem to recall many years ago some new standard when humans appeared on earth was based on a single skeleton that was found. Something like 40 years later (around the 1980's), they figured out the specimen had severe arthritis and that was the reason the skeleton led them to believe it walked on all fours. That completely changed the timeline by hundreds of thousands of years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we clone it yet?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know, right???

They should come up with some "facts" and stick to them despite all future evidence to the contrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right???

They should come up with some "facts" and stick to them despite all future evidence to the contrary.

Yes, that is correct.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Haven't a few Saints said to not take the Bible literally?

As such, there is no reason science and religion can't go hand-in-hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was really getting into that article when I realized that this 'artifact' was planted by Jesus as a test of my faith. Well, I for one, passed. The rest of you science lovers will burn in the hell fires if you don't repent.

You just described Catholicism. We don't believe in creationism or young earth theory because their exists no scientific way to support that.

Science and Christianity (Catholicism) go hand in hand.

Google:  Saint Thomas Aquainas
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So is that from the retarded fish squirrel monkey that Mr. Garrison talked about?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know, right???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right???

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I for one do not have a fuck to give in regards to how old human life is. Makes no difference in my life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You just described Catholicism. We don't believe in creationism or young earth theory because their exists no scientific way to support that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was really getting into that article when I realized that this 'artifact' was planted by Jesus as a test of my faith. Well, I for one, passed. The rest of you science lovers will burn in the hell fires if you don't repent.

It makes sense I'd describe that then, I am one
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Did he still have lockjaw after 2.8 million years?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

The poor little fella probably suffered from lockNUT.  That's painful.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
What the actual owner of that  incomplete sliver of a jawbone probably looked like:

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, they've gotten really good at dating, what month was it placed there again?

For real though, they claim its 3,200,000 years old.

Is that give or take 50,000 years? 50,000 years is a long time and if they can't account for that amount of time how am I supposed to believe this number is accurate?

That jawbone could be anyone's.

View Quote

Incorrect.  It is not mine.  Therefor it cannot be anyone's.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Climate change didn't spur us to come down from the trees, the water did.  Our ancestors probably spent several hundred thousand years wading, floating, and swimming in fresh water, making us what we are now.

Quick primer on it;

http://youtu.be/gwPoM7lGYHw
View Quote

I've bought into this theory for years. It just makes sense - especially, with regard to brain development.

Although, an argument could be made that we've devolved sine then . . . .
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Still wrong.

Humans and monkeys/apes/etc evolved from a common ancestor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do.

Nobody who understands evolution thinks that humans evolved from monkeys.

Lemurs. apes. whatever/

Still wrong.

Yes. And it looked like a fucking monkey.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Is Pluto a planet again?

I think they are full of shit but hey they got to keep that grant money rolling in some way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
None of this is more believable than the dirt and rib thing.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That was really dang funny.  And I'm a Christian.  Bravo sir.  Bravo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was really dang funny.  And I'm a Christian.  Bravo sir.  Bravo.

Add me to the laughed list, LDS even
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is Pluto a planet again?

I think they are full of shit but hey they got to keep that grant money rolling in some way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do.

Lemurs. apes. whatever/

Still wrong.

It wasn't a monkey - it might look like sort of like one, but it isn't a monkey.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It wasn't a monkey - it might look like sort of like one, but it isn't a monkey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still wrong.

Let me make my phrasing more obvious.

Yes, it was not a monkey as we classify them today. It was in fact a common ancestor.

Which happened to look and smell a whole lot like a monkey.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll probably find a twisted mass that was his testicles later.  Of course, if they do then it will be the one epic tea bag.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wonder if we can ever figure out WHICH species we came from?

View Quote

I think it was the one that survived.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Still wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemurs. apes. whatever/

Still wrong.

We are apes .l.ll
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Clearly placed on earth to test our faith.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This little guy would have been about two and a half to three feet tall, and furry all over like a small ape.  One might say this specimen represents an early ancestor to what would become human, but the artifact itself is not human; not by a long shot.  Homo sapiens (anatomically humans) don't emerge for another two and a half million years.  Humans are only around 300,000 years old.  Fact.
View Quote

A jaw is not an artifact. An artifact is something intentionally made according to a culturally held design ..l
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I know we have alot of fucknuts in GD, but do we really have young earthers here too?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The more interest your musings generate, the bigger / better your grants are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what gets me.

The more interest your musings generate, the bigger / better your grants are.

It really does not work that way.  your problems and hypotheses need to be acceptable to reviewers and program managers ...l outrageous ideas are seldom funded
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know we have alot of fucknuts in GD, but do we really have young earthers here too?

View Quote

You're surprised?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Let me guess, they used carbon dating
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
what gets me.

View Quote

Yeah, the amount of conjecture that usually accompanies these discoveries is really fucking annoying, especially when presented as fact. But it's not just archaeologists....lots of other fields do the same thing, especially astronomers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, 2.8 million yrs...except it's loaded with carbon -14 and was in the same soil layer as a glass Coke bottle that they didn't report because it didn't support their hypothesis
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

No.  Radiocarbon dating is inherently unreliable for things more than about 50,000 years old.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they didn't. First off carbon dating is pretty reliable. Not for every single thing, but over all it is.

Second it only works for things younger than 60,000 years old. Something that old would have had all the C14 decayed out of it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I garuntee you it will eventually come out mostly modern humans are atleast 1.5 million years old and that we didnt come from the monkeys they think we came from. Not saying we didnt come from monkeys. I am saying mostly modern humans go back much farther then they think they do. there is just no way that all of the variations of modern humans happened in 200K years.

Aint happening.

Nope.
View Quote

Have you seen what we did the wolf over the last 40k years or so?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know, right???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right???

Oh SNAP!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You're surprised?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're surprised?

Honestly, yes. Young earth is right up there with fake moonlandings and 9/11 was an inside job in the category of things no reasonable person in 21st century America should believe.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
""The human-like features shown by Australopithecus sediba in South Africa at around 1.95 million years ago are likely to have developed independently of the processes which produced (humans) in East Africa, showing that parallel origins are a distinct possibility," Prof Stringer explained.

This would suggest several different species of humans co-existing in Africa around two million years ago with only one of them surviving and eventually evolving into our species, Homo sapiens. It is as if nature was experimenting with different versions of the same evolutionary configuration until one succeeded."

Interesting.  

I wonder if we can ever figure out WHICH species we came from?

View Quote

I sincerely doubt it. Fossils are very hard to make. How many fossils of dinosaurs do we have that lived in the mountains/desert? Almost none. (I don't think any, but I might be wrong) The reason is that only certain environments are conducive to making fossils out of dead animals, and even then, it is an incredibly rare event.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Honestly, yes. Young earth is right up there with fake moonlandings and 9/11 was an inside job in the category of things no reasonable person in 21st century America should believe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're surprised?

I think both of those have been GD threads in the last few months.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Way too old for carbon dating ...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:21:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I think that was my cousin Frank.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, they've gotten really good at dating, what month was it placed there again?

For real though, they claim its 3,200,000 years old.

Is that give or take 50,000 years? 50,000 years is a long time and if they can't account for that amount of time how am I supposed to believe this number is accurate?

That jawbone could be anyone's.

You misunderstand, 3.2million years ago, "anyone" was a common name, just like "not sure" will be a common name in about 500 years.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was wondering when your crowd was going to show up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#48]
They use ash layers from volcanic eruptions they know reasonably well when they happened and can determine the date of the fossil by what layer it is above or below.  That is one of the methods they use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can't be right.   It is white with black teeth.  Ethiopians are black with white teeth.
View Quote

So you're saying this jawbone belongs to an Englishman?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top