Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2023 8:27:42 PM EDT
A 20-year-old woman looking for a friend's house in upstate New York was fatally shot by a homeowner when she went to the wrong address, authorities said Monday.

Kaylin Gillis was in a car with three others on Saturday night when they mistakenly pulled into the wrong driveway on Paterson Hill Road in Hebron, Washington County Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy said during a press conference. It's an easy area to get lost in and they were in the driveway for just a short time, he said.

"While they were leaving the residence after they determined that they were at the wrong house, the subject came out on his porch for whatever reason and fired two shots, one of which struck the vehicle that Kaylin was in," Murphy said.

It's a rural area with not a lot of reception, so the driver kept going and eventually someone in the vehicle connected with 911 around 9:50 p.m., authorities said. Patrols found them on Cemetery Road in neighboring Salem and performed CPR on Gillis before she died.

Police headed to 65-year-old Kevin Monahan's Hebron home where Gillis was shot, Murphy said. He was uncooperative and wouldn't come outside to talk with patrols, he said, and officers took him into custody after about an hour of back-and-forth talking.

Officials believe Monahan is a laborer and has lived at his home in Hebron for "quite a while." He was arrested on a second-degree murder charge. Monahan has not said anything to investigators about why he allegedly started shooting.

"There was clearly no threat from anybody in the vehicle," Murphy said. "There was no reason for Mr. Monahan to feel threatened."

Gillis is from Schuylerville, New York. Murphy said she came from a very good family.

"From all indications, she was an innocent young girl who was out with friends," he said.

The shooting happened days after Ralph Yarl, 16, was shot and wounded in Kansas City, Missouri, after going to the wrong house to pick up his siblings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kaylin-gillis-new-york-killed-wrong-address-kevin-monahan/
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Another dipshit homeowner exiting his house and shooting someone that didn’t need to be shot.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You know the problem the media has when it cries racist is it makes it hard to believe when the media calls teens innocent.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know the problem the media has when it cries racist is it makes it hard to believe when the media calls teens innocent.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
None of the news articles about this shooting state the race of the victim. All of the articles about the kid in Kansas City and I mean all of them, like literally every fucking one says “black teen” right in the headline.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad chute.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

You guys are embarrassing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If the article is accurate, this homeowner is in far deeper shit than the guy in Kansas City, though. Race of the victim is beside the point. He could’ve at least had a good sense to make up a story about how somebody’s been stalking and harassing him for weeks now, and he was sure that that car had something to do with it, or some bullshit story like that. It might’ve at least gotten have a manslaughter and a lighter sentence. His little standoff with the police probably guarantees that he will die in prison. But maybe he should.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Needs more information.  "Wrong house" eh?  I'm betting that's not all the story.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I like how they KNOW the occupants of the vehicle were no threat, considering the person arrested per the article hasn't talked, smart man. 1 sided story means jack and shit

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Is Ben Crump representing anyone in this case?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

She was white
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was white

Yep. This is her.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Boomers being boomers
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The shooting happened days after Ralph Yarl, 16, was shot and wounded in Kansas City, Missouri, after going to the wrong house to pick up his siblings.

View Quote
"Going to the wrong house", didn't the guy enter the door? The media is playing on the just rang the doorbell narrative.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn’t a guy in Detroit shoot a drunk girl beating on his door a few years back?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Shooter and victim.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was white

Yep. This is her.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ft7usV4X0AA-ByF.jpg

This is her:

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Did it rain recently in that garage?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Folks sweat alot when they wait their turn to fight the protagonist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another dipshit homeowner exiting his house and shooting someone that didn’t need to be shot.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Screen name?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Im more interested in who the friends were and what they were doing...
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#23]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like how they KNOW the occupants of the vehicle were no threat, considering the person arrested per the article hasn't talked, smart man. 1 sided story means jack and shit

View Quote

I would imagine that the Sheriffs dept was quickly able to run some background checks on the four woman and perhaps determined they had no criminal records, that the stories of the three other women were consistent as to why they wound up at the wrong home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
If only the cops woulda shown up to the wrong address first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Washington County, NY?

Not surprised in the least.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]

The victim was shot while inside a car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#30]
So she pulled in the wrong driveway and he started blasting?  What was his screen name here?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Some doesn't add up .
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Another homeowner making a very bad move. From everything I have heard, he shot into the car when she got back in. This type of terrible decision making gives us all a black eye.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So she pulled in the wrong driveway and he started blasting?  What was his screen name here?
View Quote

Stupid comment is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Location is pretty rural.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#35]
So how does the sheriff know what type of family she came from?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#36]

This is pretty close to me.  It's definitely pretty rural out there. I've ridden 4 wheelers in that area.   But by all accounts I'm hearing is that the story is pretty spot on and it was an honest mistake by the kids in the car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is pretty close to me.  It's definitely pretty rural out there. I've ridden 4 wheelers in that area.   But by all accounts I'm hearing is that the story is pretty spot on and it was an honest mistake by the kids in the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This lines up with what I’ve been hearing from the people I know up that way as well. That this isn’t the media trying to twist things and there isn’t some obfuscated portion of the story.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Washington County, NY?

Not surprised in the least.
View Quote

Hey now!!?!?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would imagine that the Sheriffs dept was quickly able to run some background checks on the four woman and perhaps determined they had no criminal records, that the stories of the three other women were consistent as to why they wound up at the wrong home.
View Quote

oooh 4 women... from the article i was assuming one woman and 3 thugs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#40]
That's really tragic.  Guy probably thought it was a car of criminals and he figured he'd get it on and make sure they knew never to come back.  Instead it was some random young ladies who were lost.  He lived up to the very stereotype of what someone lost in the country would be afraid of happening.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Needs more information.  "Wrong house" eh?  I'm betting that's not all the story.
View Quote

Methbilly lives matter
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#42]
By all accounts, unless more information comes, this dude seriously messed up and should pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Im more interested in who the friends were and what they were doing...
View Quote
this

I always get the feeling that the media is lying
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Assuming that's the whole story, who the fuck shoots at a leaving car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
My bet is a drunk asshole decides shooting at a car is a good idea to scare them off. Or kill the aliens. Depends on how drunk he was.

There was a guy in MI that send some shotgun blasts at a lost kid cuz his wife overreacted. Kid rings the doorbell to ask directions after missing the bus in the neighborhood. Affluent area, wife freaks out seeing a black kid. Husband reacts to her overreaction and just starts shooting. Luckily he didn’t land a hit.

Castle Doctrine is a good law. Idiots that think it justifies them being assholes fuck it all up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Another homeowner making a very bad move. From everything I have heard, he shot into the car when she got back in. This type of terrible decision making gives us all a black eye.
View Quote

Yes. Like when a black guy did something and makes every single black guy look bad

That sounds equally stupid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
this

I always get the feeling that the media is lying
View Quote

That is a good starting point.  Or they get "facts" wrong.  Or make up crap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not talking is not always the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes. Like when a black guy did something and makes every single black guy look bad

That sounds equally stupid.
View Quote

I am referring to the way the media will spin Castle Doctrine. I should have been more clear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm interested in why the sheriff refused to talk about the  weapon used.  He's claimed to be pro 2a, and anti-safe act, so I'm curious if he's trying to keep   it from being another evil black rifle story.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top