Quoted:
Best car I've ever owned.
View Quote

Agree. 2015 here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2016 TRD Pro here. I've had it for about two months now and am loving it. For me the TRD was worth the extra money... I looked at getting a Trail instead but would have ended up changing suspension, wheels, tires, etc, plus I prefer the look of the TRD grill / trim. Been off road several time in it now and have been VERY impressed with the traction system as well as the suspension. I also find the V6 to have plenty of power...

Pics:

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/ltuntitledgt%202_zpszb5oniir.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/ltuntitledgt%202_zpszb5oniir.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/IMG_1370_zpsuxnoj3wx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/IMG_1370_zpsuxnoj3wx.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/AB1_5883_zpsxvwastug.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/AB1_5883_zpsxvwastug.jpg</a>
View Quote

I own the same exact model. Love it. I was lucky to get one at msrp based on some industry connections, but I understand they are going for up to $50k now as most are special Orders. I previously owned an fj with a manual 4x4; the Pro is considerably smoother on pavement. Body roll is decent.  1st and 2nd are a bit sluggish for me, but I'm coming from a r/t Challenger. Overall, very happy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I own the same exact model. Love it. I was lucky to get one at msrp based on some industry connections, but I understand they are going for up to $50k now as most are special Orders. I previously owned an fj with a manual 4x4; the Pro is considerably smoother on pavement. Body roll is decent.  1st and 2nd are a bit sluggish for me, but I'm coming from a r/t Challenger. Overall, very happy.
View Quote

Nice. I got mine for msrp also; found it sitting on a lot a couple hours away. I do not think I would have paid over that... just on principle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I drove both. I couldn't tell any difference driving on asphalt. The price difference between the Pro and Trail Premium w/KDSS wasn't justifiable to me. I bought the Trail Premium.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/AKSU_album/image_zpsq4knynqe.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, thinking about this, waiting another month or two on my schedule and dropping another few thousand onto the down would also put the TRD Pro into my price range.

Besides looking awesome, and what I'd assume would be better resale down the road, is there really any benefit to the Pro mechanically speaking?

The resale on a Pro is amazing.  Good luck finding one.  If the owner of a Toyota dealership can't get one built over the past 4 months, I don't like your chances.

The Pro has a better suspension and the Limited interior.

Simply speaking, the Pro is a Trail Premium with a different suspension, no sunroof, a couple different colors, no KDSS option and a different fascia.
Anyone driven the TRD Pro vs a Trail? Wondering if the TRD Pro suspension would be stiffer than whats on the Trail.    

I'm going to be switching from a performance SUV, so I'm used to a stiff suspension. If the Pro's are stiffer then that would basically settle what I want to look for.

I drove both. I couldn't tell any difference driving on asphalt. The price difference between the Pro and Trail Premium w/KDSS wasn't justifiable to me. I bought the Trail Premium.

Thanks. Most likely I'll end up doing the same, but dang the Pro looks cool.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are superchargers or turbo kits  not readily available for the 4 runner but at the same time TRD focuses on the trucks with a supercharger?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Ha! Your complaints of no power are pure whining those of us with Gen3 or earlier 4Runners.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 2015 Trail briefly. I traded it in to use the equity to get my wife out of her upside down Chevrolet Traverse. I miss the 4Runner dearly. I have a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring now. It's a nice car, but the 4Runner was just a beast. I'm planning on getting another one, or maybe a Taco, in a year or two. Do it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I may actually be FO'ing tomorrow

Found a Trail in stock that I'm going to go see in the AM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ha! Your complaints of no power are pure whining those of us with Gen3 or earlier 4Runners.

View Quote

Keep an eye on your ball joints
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/toyota-truck-4runner-tundra-balljoint-failures-244804/
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep an eye on your ball joints
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/toyota-truck-4runner-tundra-balljoint-failures-244804/

Yup, I'm aware of this one. I'm still on originals, but its mostly a road Queen.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]
14 Trail here and since this turned it to a pic thread
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why are superchargers or turbo kits  not readily available for the 4 runner but at the same time TRD focuses on the trucks with a supercharger?
View Quote
The 2010+ 4runner (and FJC) use a different 4L V6 than the Tacoma. TRD had a supercharger for the new 4.0 but cancelled it. IIRC, they have cancelled all of their superchargers for all models. Tundra/Tacoma were a much larger market than FJC/4runner.

Gadget (Underdog Racing) has a supercharger for it that he has been running for years, but Toyota wasn't selling him some parts he needed to sell it as a kit. Last update I heard, he said he was going to be going forward with the kit. I assume Toyota decided to start selling to him once they cancelled their own supercharger business.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, thinking about this, waiting another month or two on my schedule and dropping another few thousand onto the down would also put the TRD Pro into my price range.

Besides looking awesome, and what I'd assume would be better resale down the road, is there really any benefit to the Pro mechanically speaking?

The resale on a Pro is amazing.  Good luck finding one.  If the owner of a Toyota dealership can't get one built over the past 4 months, I don't like your chances.

Simply speaking, the Pro is a Trail Premium with a different suspension, no sunroof, a couple different colors, no KDSS option and a different fascia.
Anyone driven the TRD Pro vs a Trail? Wondering if the TRD Pro suspension would be stiffer than whats on the Trail.    

I'm going to be switching from a performance SUV, so I'm used to a stiff suspension. If the Pro's are stiffer then that would basically settle what I want to look for.

I couldn't justify paying over MSRP for the Pro either and bought a 2015 Trail Premium with KDSS.  My wife and I test drove both a couple times back to back and we both could tell the Pro felt much stiffer on asphalt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Who makes your bumper?

That would look awesome on my 16 Trail
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... but dang the Pro looks cool.  
View Quote

I'll be 1000% honest... that's pretty much why I bought it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife has a 2010 4Runner. 160,000+ miles. Just scheduled maintenance.
New front wheel bearings at 100,000

Last week it wouldn't go into 4wd. The 4wd actuator inside the transfer case bit the dust. $3,000 repair. Did some online reading, this is the "Achilles heel" of the Toyota 4wd system; a common problem.

Otherwise it's been a great vehicle. Kinda cramped if you're a big person, tho
View Quote

How often did you use the 4wd system? It's a known problem with about all of them for people who put it in 4wd once a year for snow. It seizes up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One other thing to consider is (historically) the 4runner generations tend to change over every 6-7 years. The current gen is currently in its 6th (or 7th) year. There may be a new gen just around the corner.
View Quote

Fingers crossed hoping they don't go all Pathfinder on it.

I have a feeling they won't but you never know. AFAIK, the 4runner is the last of the breed (midsized body on frame 4x4 SUV).
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
GF and I bought a used but mint 2011 back in July.

Been back n forth from GA to PA a few times and absolutely love this thing. Only thing I would change is the lack of power. It's not "underpowered" by any means... but could definitely take advantage of another 50-75hp or better transmission gearing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
GF and I bought a used but mint 2011 back in July.

Been back n forth from GA to PA a few times and absolutely love this thing. Only thing I would change is the lack of power. It's not "underpowered" by any means... but could definitely take advantage of another 50-75hp or better transmission gearing.
View Quote

I think that's been the case with every vehicle I've ever owned, lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 2011 SR5 that is a BEAST! During the blizzard that hit the midwest in 2013 that thing never missed a beat and busted drifts that were over the hood with nothing aftermarket on it except a set of running boards. Routine maintenance and 38K miles later it's not needed anything major done to it, with the exception of a set of new tires all around. It sucks for acceleration but will go through anything and does it in comfort and style. I'm sold on them and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if this one ever gives up the ghost.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 1996 4Runner that I've had forever and has been great. and a 2003 4Runner Sport that has been excellent for me too. But given their age I guess I am not welcome to this party?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How often did you use the 4wd system? It's a known problem with about all of them for people who put it in 4wd once a year for snow. It seizes up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last week it wouldn't go into 4wd. The 4wd actuator inside the transfer case bit the dust. $3,000 repair. Did some online reading, this is the "Achilles heel" of the Toyota 4wd system; a common problem.

Yep. I do the 10 miles every few weeks in mine. I bought it last may and have almost 18k miles on it. Fucking huge smile on my face every time I get in it. Love it. Blows my old 96 that had 250k miles on it away. I got my sr5 for $1,700 under sticker up in Medford, Oregon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 2013 Trail with KDSS. don't get one without KDSS...

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this just an issue with 4Runners or all Toyotas?  I own a '07 Tacoma 4X4 now and haven't had a problem.  Only put it in 4wd a handful of times per year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I fent earlier than I thought  I was going to, but some things just lined up too nicely to pass it up.

Just came home with a dark grey 2016 Trail, got it below invoice. 2 miles on it this morning, 115 now.

Guess now the customization disease will begin...

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, I fent earlier than I thought  I was going to, but some things just lined up too nicely to pass it up.

Just came home with a dark grey 2016 Trail, got it below invoice. 2 miles on it this morning, 115 now.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have a 1996 4Runner that I've had forever and has been great. and a 2003 4Runner Sport that has been excellent for me too. But given their age I guess I am not welcome to this party?
View Quote

I'm interested -been trying for a month or two to find an older 4runner to bash around in ~put some bumpers on, etc.

Looking at a '99 tomorrow.

Top concern is rust.  Any other tips?

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is this just an issue with 4Runners or all Toyotas?  I own a '07 Tacoma 4X4 now and haven't had a problem.  Only put it in 4wd a handful of times per year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard it was common on them when I was a service writer from several techs that had been around forever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.
View Quote

LoL

I like my Turd Pro... But please actually use it, don't baby it. Throw some sliders and extra skits and you're good to go. The Nittos that come with the Trd Pro are okay, good mud eats them alive, had to use maxx trax to get out of where I was.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I would love a 4runner, but I'm not getting a Toyota truck/SUV until they have a couple more years to demonstrate that they've truly dealt with the frame rust nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would love a 4runner, but I'm not getting a Toyota truck/SUV until they have a couple more years to demonstrate that they've truly dealt with the frame rust nonsense.
View Quote
What frame rust nonsense? The Tacoma frame problems were from frames made under contract from Dana that weren't properly coated. 4runners have different frames, never sourced from Dana.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who makes your bumper?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who makes your bumper?

Shrockworks. I also have their rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and sliders. I can't say enough good stuff about their stuff or the 4Runner. I love this truck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a 2013 Trail with KDSS. don't get one without KDSS...

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/heron163/media/2013_4runner_zpscc615d76.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/2013_4runner_zpscc615d76.jpg</a>
View Quote

Kdss is the shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
2016 TRD Pro here. I've had it for about two months now and am loving it. For me the TRD was worth the extra money... I looked at getting a Trail instead but would have ended up changing suspension, wheels, tires, etc, plus I prefer the look of the TRD grill / trim. Been off road several time in it now and have been VERY impressed with the traction system as well as the suspension. I also find the V6 to have plenty of power...

Pics:

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/ltuntitledgt%202_zpszb5oniir.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/ltuntitledgt%202_zpszb5oniir.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/IMG_1370_zpsuxnoj3wx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/IMG_1370_zpsuxnoj3wx.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/AB1_5883_zpsxvwastug.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/AB1_5883_zpsxvwastug.jpg</a>
View Quote

Exactly what I want to trade my Yukon in for... it's just the Corvette payment that keeps me at bay
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LoL

I like my Turd Pro... But please actually use it, don't baby it. Throw some sliders and extra skits and you're good to go. The Nittos that come with the Trd Pro are okay, good mud eats them alive, had to use maxx trax to get out of where I was.

http://i.imgur.com/DxxjiyEl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.

LoL

Lol what?

Far more power. More torque, more horsepower.

More Luxury.

Far better Amenities.

Better on road.

Better off road.

Better looking.

More history.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lol what?

Far more power. More torque, more horsepower. HP Yes, Torque no, unless you get the v8.

More Luxury. - Nah

Far better Amenities. - Nah

Better on road. - How so?

Better off road. This is a joke

Better looking. I don't think sales favor the jeep.

More history.If you mean jeep in general, maybe. if you are talking about the GC, the firs gen came out in 93, while the 4runner was 84.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.

LoL

Lol what?

Far more power. More torque, more horsepower. HP Yes, Torque no, unless you get the v8.

More Luxury. - Nah

Far better Amenities. - Nah

Better on road. - How so?

Better off road. This is a joke

Better looking. I don't think sales favor the jeep.

More history.If you mean jeep in general, maybe. if you are talking about the GC, the firs gen came out in 93, while the 4runner was 84.

You crazy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.

LoL

Lol what?

Far more power. More torque, more horsepower. HP Yes, Torque no, unless you get the v8.The V8, or the Diesel, or the SRT8....

More Luxury. - NahClearly never been in one.

Far better Amenities. - NahClearly never been in one.

Better on road. - How so?People in this thread complaining about body roll and brake dive...

Better off road. This is a jokeNope.

Better looking. I don't think sales favor the jeep.Ok, you are right. 500,000 soccer moms have swayed my opinion.

More history.If you mean jeep in general, maybe. if you are talking about the GC, the firs gen came out in 93, while the 4runner was 84.Meh.

Forgot:
Higher towing capacity

Better fuel efficiency (diesel and v6 only)

Larger fuel tank

Air suspension

You crazy.

Toyota wins on price, an extra row of seats (useless to me), and the rear glass that rolls down.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

They canceled all of them, that would make too exciting of a vehicle in toyotaville.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.
View Quote

I worked with several guys that owned Jeeps... and my GF owned one as well. Biggest hunks of shit on the road in my opinion. Not just nickel and dime repairs either... I mean MAJOR drivetrain issues.

I had to put a rear diff assy in my GF's Jeep...  Had to reinstall the transmission valvebody bolts THAT FELL OUT AND LAYED IN THE TRANS PAN, causing trans slippage.... then had to put a new power steering pump on it. All within one year and at 100k miles.

The guys at work had major catastrophic engine problems with their Jeeps.

I honestly wouldn't own or drive a Jeep if it were given to me for free.

We did plenty of homework before buying our 2011 SR5 and are confident it was a smart decision. 300k+ miles of reliable transportation is the norm with these 4Runners.
Try THAT with a Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Lol what?

Far more power. More torque, more horsepower.

More Luxury.

Far better Amenities.

Better on road.

Better off road.

View Quote
If you want more luxury, larger engine, etc. the Lexus GX460 is the Toyota offering.

The JGC will be better on road as it is a unibody crossover with IFS/IRS.

You couldn't be more wrong on the off road part.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I worked with several guys that owned Jeeps... and my GF owned one as well. Biggest hunks of shit on the road in my opinion. Not just nickel and dime repairs either... I mean MAJOR drivetrain issues.

I had to put a rear diff assy in my GF's Jeep...  Had to reinstall the transmission valvebody bolts THAT FELL OUT AND LAYED IN THE TRANS PAN, causing trans slippage.... then had to put a new power steering pump on it. All within one year and at 100k miles.

We did plenty of homework before buying our 2011 SR5 and are confident it was a smart decision. 300k+ miles of reliable transportation is the norm with these 4Runners.
Try THAT with a Jeep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep. Grand. Cherokee.

Try THAT with a Jeep.

Hmm. I've had three Grand Cherokee's and have done nothing but regular maintenance. Worst was having to buy 16 spark plugs and a tool to change plugs on my 5.7L. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Meh....the 4Runner needs a diesel or a V8..
View Quote

This!  Might have bought a '15 limited, but it couldn't get out of its own way.  If you don't mind the weak engine, you will love it.  Ended up with a durango R/T with a 5.7 and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The Southeast Toyota () "build page" (arguably the worst "build page" I've ever seen, since you cant actually build anything) shows 24 Pro's coming in over the next month. If I'm not actually looking to buy one until May, Id think it shouldn't be too difficult to get one ordered. But maybe I'm just naiive in dealing with Toyota.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Southeast Toyota () "build page" (arguably the worst "build page" I've ever seen, since you cant actually build anything) shows 24 Pro's coming in over the next month. If I'm not actually looking to buy one until May, Id think it shouldn't be too difficult to get one ordered. But maybe I'm just naiive in dealing with Toyota.  

I'll put it to you like this.

The OWNER of a mid sized Toyota dealership put a order in for a Pro.  He talked to the District rep and let him know it was his personal truck.  4 months later and he still can't get it built.   But it shouldn't be too difficult for you, right?

Now, you are in a different region.  And you might get lucky and walk into a store and be able to buy one for MSRP.  If I was a gambling man, my money is on you not being able to find one at a price you are willing to pay.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The OWNER of a mid sized Toyota dealership put a order in for a Pro.  He talked to the District rep and let him know it was his personal truck.  4 months later and he still can't get it built.   But it shouldn't be too difficult for you, right?

Now, you are in a different region.  And you might get lucky and walk into a store and be able to buy one for MSRP.  If I was a gambling man, my money is on you not being able to find one at a price you are willing to pay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, doesn't matter anymore, because I bought a Trail yesterday.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I have to unsubscribe from this thread.

I miss my Trail

I'm hoping to get another one at the end of the year or maybe a new Tacoma. It'd be nice if they updated the engine and tranny in the 4Runner soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#50]
We bought a 15 SR5 premium last Jan. We went to buy a 14 they had but the 15 was only $1800 more, so it was a no brainer.  Wife loves it, Im kinda jealous.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top