BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Grand National was killed in the 80's because the Corvette owners whined about it being faster than their flagship car...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ecoboosts have been destroying V8's on the street and strip for 8 years now. It's impressive.
The Grand National was killed in the 80's because the Corvette owners whined about it being faster than their flagship car...
No it was killed because GM killed that generation G body in 1988 and the Regal was cut in 1987. The LC2 engine made a re-appearance in 1989 in the Turbo Trans-Am. The GNX was the swan song for the turbo buick line.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You don't really mean pointless right? It's whole point is drag racing which it does well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd take the 2019 Super Cobra Jet for $130,000 over both of those cars.

https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/50th-anniversary-mustang-cobra-jet-640x640.jpg
Can’t be driven on the street = pointless vehicle.
Mahindra?
What?
Must not have seen the $15k mahindra thread.
If you’re talking about the Jeep thingy that serves a completely different purpose. In some areas ATVs can be registered for street use and of course their usefulness off-road. A vehicle that has to be trailered to the track to make a few 1/4 mile passes before being trailed back home is pointless IMO.
You don't really mean pointless right? It's whole point is drag racing which it does well.
Sure it has a purpose. I just find the purpose silly and uninteresting. Personal opinion but cars that can’t go around corners and can’t be driven to the track are of no use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

According to google, because I dared to be critical of the blue oval I now have to be specific, the Gt's engine specs are:
Power647 hp @ 6,250 rpm (482 kW)
Torque550 lb·ft @ 5,900 rpm (746 N·m)

A 5.0L V8 with the ecoboost setup cranking out like 850hp, and 750lb ft of torque on a near identical package would be bonkers.
Absolutely bonkers.
I think, all things being equal, that would be more desirable.
If they sold side by side, at the same price, with the same safe-space requirements limited availability?
I am of the belief that despite NOT being a specific certain racing league with specific requirements, the faster, more powerful, and better sounding Ford GT with the V8 would sell better.
Therefore, making it more desirable.

That may upset some people, but I think an 850hp Ford GT with a 5.0 V8 would be awesome, and better than what they built.
View Quote
You couldn't package a twin turbo Coyote in the Ford GT.

It would also weigh a shit ton to do so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure it has a purpose. I just find the purpose silly and uninteresting. Personal opinion but cars that can’t go around corners and can’t be driven to the track are of no use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd take the 2019 Super Cobra Jet for $130,000 over both of those cars.

https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/50th-anniversary-mustang-cobra-jet-640x640.jpg
Can’t be driven on the street = pointless vehicle.
Mahindra?
What?
Must not have seen the $15k mahindra thread.
If you’re talking about the Jeep thingy that serves a completely different purpose. In some areas ATVs can be registered for street use and of course their usefulness off-road. A vehicle that has to be trailered to the track to make a few 1/4 mile passes before being trailed back home is pointless IMO.
No use..... to you

Me neither but you are making it sound like they build this worthless car that is good for nothing as opposed to the highly specialized car they build for drag racing that people buy every year
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No it was killed because GM killed that generation G body in 1988 and the Regal was cut in 1987. The LC2 engine made a re-appearance in 1989 in the Turbo Trans-Am. The GNX was the swan song for the turbo buick line.
View Quote
Yes, they built a limited number of turbo T/A pace cars.
Then they completely killed it because the Corvette guys demand to have the fastest GM vehicle with the most HP - that's why GM was underrating the F-body right up until they killed it in 2002 even though it had the exact same motor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It makes me happy to see Ford putting it in Dodges ass. Without Obama The company wouldn't exist. I could buy a Ford with a Cummings and an Allison transmission. That would be something.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It makes me happy to see Ford putting it in Dodges ass. Without Obama The company wouldn't exist. I could buy a Ford with a Cummings and an Allison transmission. That would be something.
View Quote
Yes, 0bama bailed out Ford first & a decade later Ford still hasn't repaid the taxpayer.
Amazing how all the Ford fanboys forget that when they trash GM & Chrysler...
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be a rare vehicle indeed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lol @ all of the excuses for the Demon...

It's no surprise at all, the Demon is a useless FAT pig of a car. Seriously... It weighs about as much as a full-sized quad cab F150.

Sort of 101 of drag racing, power/weight ratio.

I don't even know why they made the car honestly. Stock c7's work drag radials are running mid to low 10's and do everything else world's better. Seems the Demon does about the same in the real world and is horrible at anything else but that.
View Quote
Yeah lots of folks beat off to the Demon because they see that big horsepower number from a factory car.  Little do they realized it's a heavy pig.   700rwhp 3000lb vehicles usually pull Demons pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, 0bama bailed out Ford first & a decade later Ford still hasn't repaid the taxpayer.
Amazing how all the Ford fanboys forget that when they trash GM & Chrysler...
View Quote
"The Ford Motor Company didn't need the funds since it had already cut costs. But it asked to be included so it wouldn't suffer by competing with subsidized companies."
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah lots of folks beat off to the Demon because they see that big horsepower number from a factory car.  Little do they realized it's a heavy pig.   700rwhp 3000lb vehicles usually pull Demons pretty easily.
View Quote
Demon is old news - Hellcat Redeye now makes 797HP without race gas & a computer swap.
Hellephant was just released at SEMA - 1000HP, 950TQ - which will probably end up in the Challenger soon.

Releasing the Demon as a limited 1-year only option was a scumbag thing to do to their customers & only a fool would be buying a used one for more than MSRP now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"The Ford Motor Company didn't need the funds since it had already cut costs. But it asked to be included so it wouldn't suffer by competing with subsidized companies."
View Quote
It also backed the loan with real assets. We don't call that a bailout, we call that smart business. If the government is forcing change, they can damn sure pay for the loan for R&D.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually the Demons come with drag redials from the factory.

And spinning ain’t winning. Doesn’t mean it’s actually slower than the ford. Just means the ford is so weak it won’t spin the tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and the $100,000 car wasn't running factory tires, I know, there is still $300K left on the table but I do see a validation to the turbo V6 being a viable motor.
Actually the Demons come with drag redials from the factory.

And spinning ain’t winning. Doesn’t mean it’s actually slower than the ford. Just means the ford is so weak it won’t spin the tires.

Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Took taxpayer money, hasn't repaid it a decade later.
Just as bad as the other two - their excuse for doing it is bullshit.

None of them should have gotten a bailout - they should have been allowed to collapse, the companies UAW contracts should have been voided in bankruptcy, & then they should have reemerged from bankruptcy with a fresh start.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the GT is NOT a drag car, but the demon is made for that. The GT says what it is for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is even dumber than the last GT thread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like fun
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't most sports cars these days have launch control to prevent tire spin?
View Quote
It doesn’t actually work. May stop it from spinning, but it kills so much power the car won’t get out of its on way. Why you always see guys turning that shit off at the strip.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]
GT is fast
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It doesn't actually work. May stop it from spinning, but it kills so much power the car won't get out of its on way. Why you always see guys turning that shit off at the strip.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Demon is going to be aero limited by speeds over 1/4 mile.
GT should def win.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It doesn’t actually work. May stop it from spinning, but it kills so much power the car won’t get out of its on way. Why you always see guys turning that shit off at the strip.
View Quote

In a thread with lots of choices, this is likely the dumbest comment thus far.  Sorry blk00ss, but it’s just terrible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
A quick search says the EcoBoost is 450lbs and the 5.0 coyote is 440.  I don’t know what the setup in the GT weighs, but I’d imagine it’s in the same ballpark.

So I think we can reliably say that Ford wasn’t worried about keeping GD’s favorite number of cylinders or saving weight.  There must be some reason to use a V6 but I just can’t put my finger on it...
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
The EB engine was designed from the ground up to be a turbocharged engine.

The 5.0 designed from the ground up to be naturally aspirated.

While there is no reason the 5.0 cannot be redesigned to be turbocharged...   why?

Can make a few tweaks to the already engineered EB motor - which they do for each vehicle line anyway.  AND be competitive in the target application.  AND get some marketing swank.  AND AND AND.

It makes good engineering sense.  It makes good business sense.  It makes good performance sense.

I really don't get this argument some folks are having.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
This here is why they did it

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
People miss that point often with certain limited production vehicles. The street version only exists so it can qualify to enter certain races.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Put a slight curve in the track and I'm putting my money on the GT...

GT has a twin turbo V6 Ecoboost still something like 600 HP or was it 700,  I don't remember for sure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Would like to see the Demon run at Le Mans....

2017 Ford GT - Jay Leno''s Garage
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes,  It's also a $500,000 car.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A quick search says the EcoBoost is 450lbs and the 5.0 coyote is 440.  I don’t know what the setup in the GT weighs, but I’d imagine it’s in the same ballpark.

So I think we can reliably say that Ford wasn’t worried about keeping GD’s favorite number of cylinders or saving weight.  There must be some reason to use a V6 but I just can’t put my finger on it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s the base v6 weigh? Then you can guess the added weight of turbos and plumbing a little easier.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Size and the V6 had more than enough power for the application.  In fact it had to be de-tuned to be allowed into Le Mans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Size and the V6 had more than enough power for the application.  In fact it had to be de-tuned to be allowed into Le Mans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A quick search of this
https://europeanlemansseries.com/assets/Pages/Categories/Technical-LMGTE.pdf

Says that the 5.0 with turbos wouldn't qualify because of rules.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A V6 is 3 cylinders long, a V8 is 4 cylinders long.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What’s the base v6 weigh? Then you can guess the added weight of turbos and plumbing a little easier.
View Quote
I don’t believe there is a non-turbo version of the ecoboost block, so it would be a fair amount of extrapolation to try to make an apples to apples comparison.

I think it’s easy to make the comparison of the NA Chevy 6.2 and the supercharged version of the same, but not as easy for the V6 ford.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A quick search says the EcoBoost is 450lbs and the 5.0 coyote is 440.  I don't know what the setup in the GT weighs, but I'd imagine it's in the same ballpark.

So I think we can reliably say that Ford wasn't worried about keeping GD's favorite number of cylinders or saving weight.  There must be some reason to use a V6 but I just can't put my finger on it...
View Quote
The EcoBoost makes 647 hp in the GT and 5.0 coyote makes 480, NA.  Add turbo and an intercooler to the 5.0 and it get's heavier and it is already a large engine.  You need room for intercooling.

Then there is fuel efficiency of highly loaded engines.  Fuel efficiency is important in 24 hour duration races.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#36]
That's a pretty silly matchup. Two completely different cars.

Why not do this with a 1967 Ferrari GTO and a 1967 Pontiac GTO?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don’t believe there is a non-turbo version of the ecoboost block, so it would be a fair amount of extrapolation to try to make an apples to apples comparison.

I think it’s easy to make the comparison of the NA Chevy 6.2 and the supercharged version of the same, but not as easy for the V6 ford.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford has a non turbo 3.5 that was available as a base engine in the F-150. Out fleet had a few. Not sure if they were the same block but I’d assume they probably were.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#38]
So you have to spend 400,000 dollars to find a ford that outruns a 100,000 Dodge?

And ford fanboys are proud of it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ford has a non turbo 3.5 that was available as a base engine in the F-150. Out fleet had a few. Not sure if they were the same block but I’d assume they probably were.
View Quote
I *thought* the EcoBoost block was completely new.  I know it's roughly made of the same material and the same basic shape, so the size difference is probably minimal.

I guess my point is simply that weight is pretty much irrelevant here.  We are talking differences of 50lbs and less between the V6 and V8 blocks.  Squeezing the extra performance out of them with turbos is a weight penalty as well, but better performance:weight ratio than bigger NA blocks.  So the guys saying they can get even more out of the V8 block set up like the EcoBoost are obviously correct, but when the race version is already de-tuned and even the street version really isn't producing insane amounts of power to begin with, yet still wins at Sebring and Le Man....  Clearly it wasn't a matter of Ford engineers saying 'I really wish we could have stuffed a V8 in here and had a supercar that would sell instead of this half-baked V6 that nobody wants'.

I do think that at least part of it is a marketing strategy to sell more trucks and cars with the EcoBoost in it...  And it works.  I've driven them and love them, knowing that the same block in the GT is (basically) in an F150 or Exploder is pretty cool, it should sell on Monday.  And the list of cars Ford produces that can accept a V6 is a lot bigger than the V8, so the carryover of marketing strength is much better for Ford.  Smart...  And it wins on the track so they haven't sacrificed anything.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So you have to spend 400,000 dollars to find a ford that outruns a 100,000 Dodge?

And ford fanboys are proud of it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Another 10 minute youtube vid that was 8 minutes too long.

Show the cars. Show the race. Nobody cares that you got up at 6am.
View Quote
Another person who doesn't realize it's so the video will get monetized.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top