Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
People will buy 1.5 M+ houses and pay 900+ a month on HOA fees so their house doesn't depreciate value.
The same people will buy 100-300k vehicles that can depreciate up to 50% in 10 years time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never understood the G-wagon. Incredibly expensive and incredibly ugly. What is it good for? Isn't it just a crazy expensive pretend Jeep?
View Quote

I am far too practical to buy something like that unless I had fuck you money. I'd buy a Toyota Landcruiser first. But, they are amazing machines. I've experienced them offroad and was very impressed. Also, it's like a bank vault inside.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
How many Ford and Chevys do the Germans buy from America?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is with the priced on those?  Optioned out on MB's website they're like $160k.
View Quote

The 63 is closer to $200 sticker price, the 550 is ~140-150 on the sticker.

The prices are silly this year second hand as the ‘22 model year was cancelled for “chip shortage”/needing the EQS to launch for CAFE. The ‘23 is back on and prices will settle.

There’s nothing like a G wagon, you have to drive one to understand. I know plenty of wealthy people who would let the Lambos and Ferraris go before the G. They’re special. A black S550 and a G63 is the perfect pairing.

I had to opportunity to buy a 2003 a few weeks ago, sadly the trade in prices have skyrocketed and he was quoted more for trade than I would offer. The dealer is selling his 2003 G500 with 150k miles for $42k
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a tax write off on these due to weight? I remember hearing that somewhere for business purposes that the weight of the vehicle can toss it into a different asset class and really up the deductions. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've heard this from quite a few people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My bosses amg G wagon rides like ass.  My track loader is smoother.

I've heard this from quite a few people.

What year? They fixed them in 2019'ish, they are much, much better. Pre-19 rides like complete shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a tax write off on these due to weight? I remember hearing that somewhere for business purposes that the weight of the vehicle can toss it into a different asset class and really up the deductions. Any truth to that?
View Quote

Section 179, yes they’re over 6000 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My neighbor also has one. In fact, he gets a new one every year. He instantly takes the big wheels off and goes down to 20's with all terrain tires. He's constantly wheeling it. Usually out to look at his targets. 6000 acres is a lot of ground to cover. He's also a billionaire, so YMMV.

I think they're badass. My wife wants one. I doubt we'll get one, but I wouldn't say never.
View Quote

Crazy thing, my neighbor’s house is worth less than his cars. His house is about 500k
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In terms of this thread, I honestly do not understand the point of fast and super powerful AMG versions of the G wagon.  Its strength is its off-reading capability.  Why would you want a super-fast one?  That’s not what it’s for.  It’s as dumb as putting 4WD, a lift kit, lockers and big knobby tires on an Aventador.  If Lambo wanted to built that, I am sure they COULD, but I wouldn’t understand why anyone would buy it.  

To me, people buy the really expensive G wagon primarily for one reason:  So that other people know they own a really expensive G wagon.  I think the number of AMG G-wagon owners that take them off-roading is probably close to zero.  If you want a comfortable and fast luxury SUV, there are far better choices out there.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I kinda want a G Wagon AMG.

I just want to go super fast on these country roads.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In terms of this thread, I honestly do not understand the point of fast and super powerful AMG versions of the G wagon.  Its strength is its off-reading capability.  Why would you want a super-fast one?  That’s not what it’s for.  It’s as dumb as putting 4WD, a lift kit, lockers and big knobby tires on an Aventador.  If Lambo wanted to built that, I am sure they COULD, but I wouldn’t understand why anyone would buy it.  

To me, people buy the really expensive G wagon primarily for one reason:  So that other people know they own a really expensive G wagon.  I think the number of AMG G-wagon owners that take them off-roading is probably close to zero.  If you want a comfortable and fast luxury SUV, there are far better choices out there.
View Quote

People who can’t afford it don’t drive off-road

These two see plenty of dirt, legitimate off-road dirt. The squared is used for search and rescue, the 6x6 is a “farm toy”.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I own a MB (granted it's an E class), and there's no way I can see how MB justifies 1/4 million for a G class.  Like others have said, if you really want one, look on the used market.  Especially a gray market import, but it's going to be quite spendy compared to the competition.  If you pick up a diesel, the maintenance bills are not half bad, it's when you get into the AMGs is where the maintenance get stupid.
View Quote
AMG is an acronym for All Monies Gone
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#15]
G-Wagons are awesome, capable and great looking.

They're also horrifically over priced for what they are. Especially given that due to that pricing, very few will ever use them for what they are best at.

I agree with other posters, that if you want a high powered off-road vehicle, get a Wrangler 392. Doesn't look as good, isn't as quick, but it gets you 95% of the way there at a much cheaper cost.  Plus, you can then use it for what it was intended for.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#16]
While they are certainly capable machines and probably have a decent blend of sport SUV attributes...... a quarter mil for a vehicle that is not top of it class in terms of brand (its a MB not a Bentley), speed, size, interior finish, towing capacity, or off-road capability seems a bit excessive. Not to mention their....a-hem..."styling",  while not awful is also somewhat reminiscent of a filing cabinet on wheel.

You are also getting an ownership reputation mix of part Kardashian, part Rapper, part Russian Oligarch.

If I was to spend a quarter-million+ on a mid-sized sport SUV, I get a gently used Lamborghini Urus for roughly the same price give or take. At least it will be at the top of its brand and performance classes.

Outside of the Urus,  there are a whole host of great mid-sized/two-row sport SUVs with a similar nice blend of features/capabilities and are honestly better looking vehicles for ~$100K less. BMW X5M, Audi R8 RS, Porsche Cayenne, etc.

If you want to stick with Benz, I would  rather have an GLS 63 AMG at a significant discount to the G-Wagon AMG 63 and get the GLS's 3 row interior space, faster speed, better styling, probably better handling and ride, etc.

That's just me though.   Personally I went "the poors" route and bought a Durango Hellcat for ~40% the price of the G AMG.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do,  if the G AMG is the only vehicle that scratches the itch and you have a $250K burning a hole in your pocket than go for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
When you don’t or don’t have to care about scratches and dents a G wagon is an amazing off-road machine. I have seen them go places I would have never thought possible just looking at them.

Quoted:
View Quote

When they have BMW and Mercedes as their hometown car manufacturers? Why would they want to buy a Ford or Chevy?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When you don’t or don’t have to care about scratches and dents a G wagon is an amazing off-road machine. I have seen them go places I would have never thought possible just looking at them.

When they have BMW and Mercedes as their hometown car manufacturers? Why would they want to buy a Ford or Chevy?
View Quote

Lot's of Fords in Europe, Ford has factories over there and there are specific European models, some pretty cool ones too. The Ranger? That was an overseas model, the Fiesta was a Euro model before it came here.

I would like a Euro HiLux, but that isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Germans have historically bought plenty of Fords and GM cars - from the European divisions of those companies.  

Why would they import models made for the US market when they already have Fords and GMs made specifically for the European market?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Germans have historically bought plenty of Fords and GM cars - from the European divisions of those companies.  

Why would they import models made for the US market when they already have Fords and GMs made specifically for the European market?

once again get out of here with your logic and facts, this thread is only about emotions
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
That brush guard will be helpful when wheeling !
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ford is still selling tons of sedans and hatches in those markets, with fresh redesigns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a 1 year old G wagen (non-AMG)
AND
A new 392 Wrangler for the same or less $$$

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Getting my Grenadier in '23 when they become available to the US market.  I already paid a deposit.  

It'll be made in the same plant where the G-Wagen was made in Hambach.  Looks like it'll be a heck of an off roader.

Footage of the plant / production line:

Building The Grenadier - Episode 11 - Building Your Grenadier

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I thought those go for arou d 175,000 msrp new. Is the rest due to market adjustment?
View Quote
I just spoke to an exotic car dealer this morning, he said $30-80k markup on the boring trade-ins and $100k+ minimum markup on almost everything they sell. He said the MC20s they sold were allocated before they got off the boat, but only 56 made this year.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top