Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Plaid? Is that a Spaceballs reference?
Who is going to get the plate SPCBALL1?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What stock Porsche production car can do that for 24 hours?

None? So why would anyone expect this car to do that? Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It might have the impressive torque to get it done for one lap; but lacks the suspension and brake engineering that comes with decades of track wins. Now do that for 24hrs like Porsche does.

Like shooting a MINI14 next to a HKPSG1 and saying -- " see, I can hit the target too".

Everyone goes

What stock Porsche production car can do that for 24 hours?

None? So why would anyone expect this car to do that? Lol

He’s probably talking about endurance races, so not even production cars. Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I will tell the wife....she seems interested.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
And still can't be exposed to even 24 hours of a typical winter up here without damaging it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You do realize it got the same lap time as the Porsche 918... a multimillion dollar hypercar built for the track, and this is a large 4-door sedan.
View Quote

You realize the 918 wasn't built for Drag racing right?  Who gives a shit what it does in a 1/4 mile....take that bitch to a real road course track and then lets talk.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
8 sec 1/4 mile?

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
520mi*

(*if coasting downhill with no climate control or radio)
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Needs LS swap
View Quote

So it could be slower?

Retarded, but ok.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You realize the 918 wasn't built for Drag racing right?  Who gives a shit what it does in a 1/4 mile....take that bitch to a real road course track and then lets talk.
View Quote

I am talking about track time. There is a video in the first post.

The Porsche 918, McLaren P1, and this all lapped Laguna Seca at around 1:30.

Two are mulitimillion dollar hypercars made for the track, and one is a large four door sedan.

At a drag strip or stoplight it would humiliate a 918.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
“Similar” is not the “same” lap time.

How many laps?  How long is the race?  I can’t imagine that at 1100 Hp that the battery is going to last long at all.  

Still impressive. It’s priced like most super cars anyway.  When the Tesla finally gets some more reasonable range in cold winter months and it doesn’t take 39 minutes to charge  I’m game.   For now I’m more interested in hybrids like the Panamera Turbo S Hybrid.  I’m glad Tesla continues to push the industry.  I wish their cars were a little better built but they aren’t that bad from my experience (not not great for being $100,000).
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Technically very interesting.

I can't imagine wanting one over a Porsche though, even if they are slower and were hypothetically the same price. When the Taycan is refined that'll be the new hotness.

I wonder how many rich dudes are going to turn them into bright lithium fires since they can't handle that kind of speed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize it got the same lap time as the Porsche 918... a multimillion dollar hypercar built for the track, and this is a large 4-door sedan.

7:13 minutes at Nurburgring. That’s hypercar time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Wild

I'm not against EVs, are they the future? Possibly, likely for some uses. They do have some hurdles still. Tesla, Fiskar, etc breaking the wall that EVs had to be some weird looking wheeled conveyance helped immensely.

Will I still love ICE vehicles? Of course.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am talking about track time. There is a video in the first post.

The Porsche 918, McLaren P1, and this all lapped Laguna Seca at around 1:30.

Two are mulitimillion dollar hypercars made for the track, and one is a large four door sedan.

At a drag strip or stoplight it would humiliate a 918.
View Quote

Sweet so it could hang with a 918 or P1 for 2-3 laps.....and then it would have to go park in the garage and charge for 30 mins.....

And I still seriously fucking doubt it if all 3 were "racing" each other on the track at the same moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

7:13 minutes at Nurburgring. That’s hypercar time.
View Quote

The one at the Nurburgring wasn't even using the new batteries.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of the replies in this thread are painfully ignorant. If you don't understand EV tech, just read, don't comment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the power progression, but the Model S styling is old and tired.

Old and tired styling that is indistinguishable from something that  is available for a quarter of the price is a tough pill to swallow at $140k.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sweet so it could hang with a 918 or P1 for 2-3 laps.....and then it would have to go park in the garage and charge for 30 mins.....

And I still seriously fucking doubt it if all 3 were "racing" each other on the track at the same moment.
View Quote

The battery in the Plaid has a longer range (520mi) than the gas tank in the 918 (420mi)...
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The battery in the Plaid has a longer range (520mi) than the gas tank in the 918 (420mi)...
View Quote

LOL @ race pace?  I seriously fucking doubt that. SERIOUSLY FUCKING DOUBT THAT.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Some people just don't get that electric motors with plenty of juice at all four wheels leads to incredible launches.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It might have the impressive torque to get it done for one lap; but lacks the suspension and brake engineering that comes with decades of track wins. Now do that for 24hrs like Porsche does.

Like shooting a MINI14 next to a HKPSG1 and saying -- " see, I can hit the target too".

Everyone goes
View Quote

Except it can't, because batteries suck. One hour of track attack, three hours charging!
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're also the guy who likes Nickelback and thinks they're better than Tool...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

And the whole Tesla brand/image/lifestyle is soy as fuck.

You're also the guy who likes Nickelback and thinks they're better than Tool...

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except it can't, because batteries suck. One hour of track attack, three hours charging!
View Quote

Wouldn't even make it for 1 hour of track time.  Maybe 1x 20min segment max before needing to recharge.  And Tesla's well know for their brakes being smoking melted pieces of shit after an intense track session.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Been hearing that for 30 years...

Free beer tomorrow, something something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are one breakthrough in battery tech away (either charging times or range) from vehicles like this being an enormous disruptive force.

30 years ago an electric car would struggle to reach freeway speeds, have tens, rather then hundreds of miles of range and require overnight recharging.

I would say they have come quite a long way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#25]
It would only make 1-2 laps at any major road track before needing a recharge.  

Still,  as a drag car,  it’s hard to argue with electric motors.   I wonder why no one has tried to make a top fuel level car.   For weekend amateur  race a Tesla would humiliate almost everything.  You know the saddest part is,  you can really do a whole lot of aftermarket modding yet; however, people are already making Frankenteslas and swapping in electric motors so in a few years people will be building electrics cars in their garage too.  We still need to solve the battery problem though.   We don’t have enough lithium to go around!
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$140,000 for those of you wondering.
View Quote

now thats Gay
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I want one

I love driving electric cars

the torque curve is hilariously fun
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#28]
GD vs Tesla REEEEEing is almost as funny as lib vs Trump
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow. Impressive. It didn't catch on fire.

It bottomed out twice at :09 at 1:09 and couldn't hold the road like a Porsche, but OK.

I'll stick with Stuttgart.
View Quote

Sigh.....

It's a fucking 140k SEDAN. Not a gazillion dollar purpose built supercar.

What's not to understand about this?

Luddites everywhere these days....electric cars are the future whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Tesla threads are always amusing. They are full of people getting all emotional while they defend a car (either the Tesla or a competitor) they will very likely never even own lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

30 years ago an electric car would struggle to reach freeway speeds, have tens, rather then hundreds of miles of range and require overnight recharging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are one breakthrough in battery tech away (either charging times or range) from vehicles like this being an enormous disruptive force.

Still waiting on that "enormous disruptive force" we are continually told that is coming "any day now".
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sigh.....

It's a fucking 140k SEDAN. Not a gazillion dollar purpose built supercar.

What's not to understand about this?

Luddites everywhere these days....electric cars are the future whether you like it or not.
View Quote

I'll dispute electric is the future.  Hydrogen powered is the real future.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I don’t understand the name “plaid” when it appears to be solid white or whatever. Shouldn’t it be a tartan plaid colors like below?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wouldn't even make it for 1 hour of track time.  Maybe 1x 20min segment max before needing to recharge.  And Tesla's well know for their brakes being smoking melted pieces of shit after an intense track session.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, let me know the last time you drove your car all out at a track for an hour straight. I’d love to hear what your MPG was.

Your posts would fit well in a parody thread.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tesla threads are always amusing. They are full of people getting all emotional while they defend a car (either the Tesla or a competitor) they will very likely never even own lol
View Quote

I own two of them, they're awesome.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Wait someone is this thread thinks NICKLEBACK is better than TOOL....???
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol, let me know the last time you drove your car all out at a track for an hour straight. I’d love to hear what your MPG was.

Your posts would fit well in a parody thread.
View Quote

If I remember correctly around 6 mpg or something like that.  So fuck off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Plaid? Is that a Spaceballs reference?
Who is going to get the plate SPCBALL1?
View Quote

As long as plaid means faster than ludicrous.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Ah yes, the old performance numbers vs future trends vs technology vs fag no fag vs personal taste arguments.

No one ever wins these but the squabbling is fun to read.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don’t understand the name “plaid” when it appears to be solid white or whatever. Shouldn’t it be a tartan plaid colors like below?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/B5B3C0A8-26BF-47E9-806C-87FECF93E1C7_jpe-1609295.JPG
View Quote

It’s a reference to the old movie called Spaceballs. Plaid and Ludicrous both are.

Spaceballs - They've gone into plaid
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/B5B3C0A8-26BF-47E9-806C-87FECF93E1C7_jpe-1609295.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Still waiting on that "enormous disruptive force" we are continually told that is coming "any day now".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I always love the retards who can't accept that this is the future of auto tech.

"It no make vroom vroom sound, it no good, me no like"

ETA: Have fun dealing with the anger when these gap you in the 1/4, they're only going to get better.
View Quote

I was at Atco Dragway Friday night. The Tesla would destroy every street car there. There were a maybe a dozen sub 9 second race cars there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like 188 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
$140,000 for those of you wondering.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe get out more? There are Tesla/EV everywhere in my AO, and we ain’t commiefornia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe get out more? There are Tesla/EV everywhere in my AO, and we ain’t commiefornia.

I see them a lot more now. I'd say just about every day I see at least one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?
View Quote

You strike me as the guy who could never afford a "exotic" let along the Plaid edition....so of course you try to apply the stats in a bullshit way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#48]
It'll still never win the Cannonball Run.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

lol

"Well, my car could beat your car if we raced for 24 hours straight"

https://static.miraheze.org/allthetropeswiki/4/4b/Moving_goal.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone goes

lol

"Well, my car could beat your car if we raced for 24 hours straight"

https://static.miraheze.org/allthetropeswiki/4/4b/Moving_goal.gif

He's gonna move it again once they figure out a quick disconnect battery that just gets replaced at the pit stop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because reasons.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top