User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dont want an electric car because of range and recharge limitations, but these specs are far from gay....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, gay

I dont want an electric car because of range and recharge limitations, but these specs are far from gay....

Nobody here will use the full speed of the car so it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Man if I had fuck you money, I would totally do that just to troll hippies.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does a sedan seat up to 7?
View Quote

Same way you can get 520 miles in range.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some of the replies in this thread are painfully ignorant. If you don't understand EV tech, just read, don't comment.
View Quote

That's not the GD way. You have people with no experience commenting on every imaginable topic. It's why we all come here isn't it? It's great for a laugh.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was at Atco Dragway Friday night. The Tesla would destroy every street car there. There were a maybe a dozen sub 9 second race cars there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always love the retards who can't accept that this is the future of auto tech.

"It no make vroom vroom sound, it no good, me no like"

ETA: Have fun dealing with the anger when these gap you in the 1/4, they're only going to get better.

I was at Atco Dragway Friday night. The Tesla would destroy every street car there. There were a maybe a dozen sub 9 second race cars there.

I don't think most people realize how silly an ~8.8 second car vs a ~10s car like the 918 is going to look. Most of it's four-door contemporaries will be lucky to even get <11s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow. Impressive. It didn't catch on fire.

It bottomed out twice at :09 at 1:09 and couldn't hold the road like a Porsche, but OK.

I'll stick with Stuttgart.
View Quote

BTW 3 of the McLaren Senna hyper cars have burnt to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wouldn't even make it for 1 hour of track time.  Maybe 1x 20min segment max before needing to recharge.  And Tesla's well know for their brakes being smoking melted pieces of shit after an intense track session.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it can't, because batteries suck. One hour of track attack, three hours charging!

Wouldn't even make it for 1 hour of track time.  Maybe 1x 20min segment max before needing to recharge.  And Tesla's well know for their brakes being smoking melted pieces of shit after an intense track session.

Are ceramic rotors and Brembo calipers not available to the general public. The only thing holding it back after a brake upgrade would be some quick disconnect battery or a faster charging battery.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't think most people realize how silly an ~8.8 second car vs a ~10s car like the 918 is going to look. Most of it's four-door contemporaries will be lucky to even get <11s.
View Quote

Jesus who gives a fuck.  The 918 wasn't built to drag race...not sure how fucking hard it is for you to get that through your skull.

And its awesome you love comparing a brand new tech car vs a Hyper Car built between 2013-2015....I'm pretty sure my GT3 can beat in lap times Hyper cars built 5-7 years before it at this point.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I enjoy reading the goal post shifts

Now that the EV beats the ICE car, it's suddenly not as good because it can't beat the ICE car for *randomly-decided-amount-of-time.

Were down to three-gun shotguns, reload racing.

This is an expensive, but attainable family sedan that puts down super car numbers...and people respond "meh, can't put down super car numbers for 24 hours"  SMH

87% chance I buy one of these someday, I'm never buying a 918 (would if I could, but why).
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly around 6 mpg or something like that.  So fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, let me know the last time you drove your car all out at a track for an hour straight. I’d love to hear what your MPG was.

Your posts would fit well in a parody thread.

If I remember correctly around 6 mpg or something like that.  So fuck off.

The Porsche 918 holds 17.7 gallons of gasoline. At 38Kwh per gallon that's 673KWh of thermal energy. Adjusted for 20% thermodynamic efficiency that drops to 135KWh of available work energy.

The P100 Plaid has a ~160KWh battery pack with ~93% efficiency.

Factor in that the Plaid will be able to recapture a much larger percentage of energy during regenerative braking (plus for plaid), and that the Plaid has more power (minus for plaid), and the gas tank of the 918 and the battery pack of the plaid will probably last a similar amount of time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are ceramic rotors and Brembo calipers not available to the general public. The only thing holding it back after a brake upgrade would be some quick disconnect battery or a faster charging battery.
View Quote

I'm not sure how much Carbon's would do for it.  Even stripped down I'm sure that car has a lot of weight in it, which is going to generate a lot of heat......And then we gotta get into the ABS management for the Tesla.  I doubt thats even remotely as developed as a cars built from the ground up for the track.

We get it, Tesla has produced a fast as hell car.  Sweet props to them, but its a long long long long way from motorsports, and we all know the build quality from Tesla is dogshit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll dispute electric is the future.  Hydrogen powered is the real future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.....

It's a fucking 140k SEDAN. Not a gazillion dollar purpose built supercar.

What's not to understand about this?

Luddites everywhere these days....electric cars are the future whether you like it or not.

I'll dispute electric is the future.  Hydrogen powered is the real future.

I doubt it. In 2004 they were talking about hydrogen when I was attending school at American Honda. Just like in 1999 when I was in Toyota school and 48 volt systems were the future. Turbos, Hybrids and Electrics are the future.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
At least when other companies make really fast vehicles, they also put on good brakes.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're also the guy who likes Nickelback and thinks they're better than Tool...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

And the whole Tesla brand/image/lifestyle is soy as fuck.

You're also the guy who likes Nickelback and thinks they're better than Tool...

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
That is awesome. Now let's get our fucking power grid up to task.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus who gives a fuck.  The 918 wasn't built to drag race...not sure how fucking hard it is for you to get that through your skull.

And its awesome you love comparing a brand new tech car vs a Hyper Car built between 2013-2015....I'm pretty sure my GT3 can beat in lap times Hyper cars built 5-7 years before it at this point.
View Quote

The 918 costs 10x what the Plaid does and was built to be a track machine from the bottom up.

The Model S was built to be a daily driver, the fact that it can even hang with a track-designed hypercar is impressive.

A GT3RS does 1:33.3 at Laguna Seca BTW, so 3 seconds slower.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, gay

Not true. We have plenty of members who take their cars to road courses and drag strips.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?

Maybe ask the guy who stated it:

Quoted:
We are one breakthrough in battery tech away (either charging times or range) from vehicles like this being an enormous disruptive force.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every time I see a higher end Model S in person they are stunning. Beautiful cars
View Quote

The performance is... the looks are terrible. Now the Fisher Karma, that was a stunning EV.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Porsche 918 holds 17.7 gallons of gasoline. At 38Kwh that's 673KWh of thermal power. Adjusted for 20% thermodynamic efficiency and that drops to 135KWh of available work.

The P100 Plaid has a ~160KWh battery pack with ~93% efficiency.

Factor in that the Plaid will be able to recapture a much larger percentage of energy during regenerative braking (plus for plaid), and that the Plaid has more power (minus for plaid), and the gas tank of the 918 and the battery pack of the plaid will probably last a similar amount of time.
View Quote

Well if we are being honest.  IF we are talking Nordschleife, the 918 can do exactly 1 lap at max speed with the battery engaged for maximum output.  Past that the its the gas engine only.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]
The only thing impressive about those speeds and lap times are the people that think they matter when a computer is controlling traction the entire time.

Turn off the baby sitter, then impress me.

You'll have to wake me up though. The specs are impressive, the experience is boring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

So upgrade brakes like every other car manufacturer does before tracking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tesla threads are always amusing. They are full of people getting all emotional while they defend a car (either the Tesla or a competitor) they will very likely never even own lol
View Quote

It's not about an person owning it or not. It's about the mentality of forcing a complete stranger to pay for your toys.  I'm surprised you haven't gotten that after 25000 posts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]
So who's got the Nordschleife time for the Plaid?  I know they tested it year what least year? From what I can find it did it in 7:13.....which while fast.....gets beat by a 991.2 GT3...which are closer in price and its pure gas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Needs LS swap
View Quote

Why would you intentionally make it slower
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always love the retards who can't accept that this is the future of auto tech.

"It no make vroom vroom sound, it no good, me no like"

ETA: Have fun dealing with the anger when these gap you in the 1/4, they're only going to get better.

I saw a Model 3 running 11.60s last year. I'm hoping to get my 335i there but then again I only paid $5500 for it. The 3 seemed to really get out and didn't have all too much on the top end. You'd think a turbo 4 cylinder with a electric motors at the back wheels would be the perfect set up but with this new Tesla why even bother. An 8.8 vs a 10 second time is total annihaltion.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#28]
In before the Lithium Wars! Saudi Arabia will be selling sand again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are just an old man yelling at clouds now. Everyone is tuning you out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Mine would be natural gas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats fine, doesn't change the fact your argument is wrong bud.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, I realize that. It also gets a constant stream of federal tax payer dollars per car.  Why am I paying for complete strangers to buy a 40 - 140 thousand dollar car again?

The first Tesla was introduced in 2008.   Telsa has never turned a profit even with that massive federal subsidy year after year.  WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize it got the same lap time as the Porsche 918... a multimillion dollar hypercar built for the track, and this is a large 4-door sedan.

Yeah, I realize that. It also gets a constant stream of federal tax payer dollars per car.  Why am I paying for complete strangers to buy a 40 - 140 thousand dollar car again?

The first Tesla was introduced in 2008.   Telsa has never turned a profit even with that massive federal subsidy year after year.  WTF?

don't hate the player, hate the game
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's gonna shift goal post 10 more times in this thread. No answer will be good enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, electric cars can use regenerative braking.

1100hp of electric motors is a lot of available braking assistance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He's gonna shift goal post 10 more times in this thread. No answer will be good enough.
View Quote

For a 140k "car" why didn't they put Carbon's on stock then?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even have an argument. I am just observing and laughing at you. The new Tesla is cool and I'm not even a fan of electric cars. The numbers are impressive coming from a gas car guy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a daily. Our NSX comes with Iron or Carbon rotors as an option. If I bought an NSX to daily I may skimp on the rotors too. It adds $10k to the price of the car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1308539384455667714/lKAh6z8e?format=jpg&name=small

1100+ hp AWD
0-60 in under 2s
0-1/4 in under 9s
200+ mph top speed
520 miles of range
also seats up to 7

Laguna Seca in 1:30, similar time as Porsche 918 and McLaren P1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBjp91zqnn8
View Quote

Man he aced the corkscrew, textbook. Good run.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#40]
WOW, I'd love to take a spin in one!
How many G's would you be pulling while doing 0-60 in less than 2 seconds.
*ETA*
I ROUGHLY calculated 1.22, less than I was expecting.
I AM Not a Math or Physics expert.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So who's got the Nordschleife time for the Plaid?  I know they tested it year what least year? From what I can find it did it in 7:13.....which while fast.....gets beat by a 991.2 GT3...which are closer in price and its pure gas.
View Quote

The one they were testing last year didn't have the new battery cells. The tabless design of the new cells has much better thermal management properties.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Awesome car.
The absence of engine sound is unnerving to me. But if I could afford the car, I could probably get used to it.

The real breakover point will come when the weight-volume-cost/energy stored ratio and the recharge time equals that of gasoline or diesel.
We're also going to have to up our energy production game to make up for the loss of fossile fuels.
View Quote

We are going to need fossil fuels to produce electric energy for a long time to come.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The brakes on an electric aren't like the brakes on a gas car.

Its a daily driver with regenerative braking, it can just do super car things
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's my biggest problem with Tesla. They don't understand that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  

Example: People get trapped in burning Tesla, burn up inside.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/26620/tesla-driver-killed-after-being-trapped-in-burning-model-s-that-collided-with-a-tree

Tesla response?
Unbreakable (ish) windows!
Oops! Tesla Cybertruck's Unbreakable Windows Break During Demo

NOBODY at Tesla said, "Hey guys! Windows are breakable for like, y'know, reasons and stuff!" Especially in a vehicle most like to roll over and need....breakable windows.

And for such low production numbers of such a fucking amazing balls to the wall perfect good automobile, the death rate is....seemingly kinda high, with an unreasonable number of those deaths attributable to Tesla's "tech".
https://www.tesladeaths.com/

That crap poisons the entire product/company. Kinda like a Corvette that they managed to screw up the brakes on. Literally a cost-no-object ordeal, and they screwed up. They never should've fired George Newman, because he's got imagination.

My friend's son (who is named Charger, incidentally) is really into electric cars, not so much the Mopar muscle after which he was named. Charger really caught my attention when, as a 12 year old, didn't like riding in a 2017 Challenger Scat Pak, because it 'didn't have enough tech'. When pressed to answer what 'tech' was, he couldn't answer. People think they need 'tech', because they're told they need 'tech'. Not because they actually need it. Refrigerator with a screen? Check. Shoes with wifi? Check. Something that operates without an internet connection? Ummm....well, yeah, about that.....

Kinda like the Sega CD32. Now with more 'bits'! But still a piece of junk.

And when I watch the videos...yeah, it's fast, but nobody told Elon that gingers have no soul.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You strike me as the guy who could never afford a "exotic" let along the Plaid edition....so of course you try to apply the stats in a bullshit way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?

You strike me as the guy who could never afford a "exotic" let along the Plaid edition....so of course you try to apply the stats in a bullshit way.

Lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The brakes need to be better because of the weight (can't get around that).

I have no idea what the specs of the brakes are, but doing supercar things without supercar brakes is a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

With an electric car, especially one like this, you can apply a lot of stopping power without even using the brakes.

This is why brakes last many times longer on an EV than an ICE car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's been an option for years.

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Tesla-Model-S-3rd-Row-Seats-e1379317106445-1280x720.jpg

Only really fits kids though, like the backseats in a Porsche.
View Quote

They needs an asterisk on that “seats 7” that says it reduces the dead hooker storage space.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top