Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one I looked at was 90k.

I’m still in the hunt for a low mileage LR 4
View Quote

What exactly do you consider low mileage and where in TX are you?

@dryroasted
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They get a bad rap.

I had an ‘04 Discovery that had 1 issue in the 6 years I owned it and drove it into the dealer. Ask me about my Ford though.

Their resale value is shit though.
View Quote

Anecdotes mean nothing.

Ford is typically near or above the industry average for reliability.
Land Rover is always at the bottom. The worst for reliability. In a lucky year, Jag or Tesla will be worse, and that is great because it is an atypical year where LR is not at the absolute bottom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI again!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have heard so many horror stories about Land Rover vehicles it’s insane.

Wife wanted one.. nope.
View Quote

I just steered my wife away from a used low mileage Land Rover.

I looked up the price of shocks on O’reileys website. Then handed my phone to her. Over $500 each.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck. I just checked the JD Powers and RR is dead last in reliability.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Built by an Indian-owned company, headquartered in Mumbai.
View Quote

Sure like Jeep is a French/Italian owned company Headquartered in Amsterdam.

JLR ops is centered in Coventry England tho.

Like Jeep in "Toledo", tho Manley and now Meunier office aint there (as Jeep BCEO), as the executive functions are at Auburn Hills.

Want a Brit marque - Ineos. HQs in Knightsbridge tho Ratcliffe controls through tax considered Luxembourg and resides in Monaco.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
https://tflcar.com/2020/11/land-rover-defender-broken-update/
Update: We've Owned Our Land Rover Defender For About 3 Weeks, And It's Been Broken Almost The Whole Time

No thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My first house cost $76K. Nice little three bedroom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Update: We've Owned Our Land Rover Defender For About 3 Weeks, And It's Been Broken Almost The Whole Time

No thanks
View Quote
Curious to what was the first issue or was it minor?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Not looking through all 4 pages, but if it hasn't been posted yet, TFL took theirs on a trail to compete with Wrangler and Bronco...then had to come back later to rescue it.

I'm not the typical customer, since I actually want to off-road a lot, but that thing is shit shaped like an odd square.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]

If you want lots of mechanical problems and big repair bills, go ahead.  For that kind of money, get a used Land Cruiser and do some modest upgrades.  You could also get a 4runner or Sequoia with lots of money leftover for big upgrades.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Those are really nice, and I'd love to have one. But that's the price of 3 Bronco Sports
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No thanks
View Quote
i don't know much about their channel, but are those two dudes gay partners? they keep talking about their dog - Blaze
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i don't know much about their channel, but are those two dudes gay partners? they keep talking about their dog - Blaze
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks
The fact that you're more interested in hacking on them than paying attention to the message tells me that you should ABSOLUTELY buy this Land Rover
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
My sister has one, she likes it more than her 2021 GX460....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
$76k for British engineering?

I'd rather invest the money in Enron stocks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are the MIL lights and oil leaks an option?
It'll be worth 15k in 8 years.
View Quote

Coincidentally the exact amount it will cost the second and third owner in repairs the first year they own it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only guy I knew who owned a Land Rover got so fed up with it he traded it in a 4runner.
View Quote

My old boss had a Discovery. One of the perks Land Rover treats their customers to is being able to store their auto at the dealership in a climate controlled service bay freeing up valuable garage space. It's the little things that make them special.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks

Couldn’t be father/son could it? Nah. It’s 2021, gotta be a gay couple.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Wife got new defender to go with LR4 we now only have the LR4.  LR4 with Aftermarket 17” wheels on a good Hybrid Terrain are fantastic for most things but rock crawling.  

With a V8 and some changes next year May try again.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My '08 just rolled 150k. Still looks new. Leather is soft/supple. Air suspension is original. Zero issues. I did a full cooling system at 110k. A wheel bearing at 130k. A heater core at 140k. Otherwise just normal maintenance. I tow my 8k/lb boat with it a few times per year. Did a lift a year ago with some 32" tires. Still a spectacular vehicle.

I'm building a Discovery 2 for myself right now. It'll be tough to let go of the Sport when the time comes, but we don't need 3 SUV's.

We almost bought a Defender last year, but my wife has been driving the Sport and wanted to go back to a BMW X5. I cant fault her. The turbo X5 is a lot of fun to drive. Like an overgrown sports car.
View Quote

Awesome! I would like a discovery!  I have the wheel bearing issue also but it’s nothing detrimental (i guess that was common for our years), still rocking the same air suspension as well. Recently had my entire interior floorboard/headliner replaced via insurance due to parking garage bursting on top of my vehicle and dumping water on top of her for 48hrs... pissed at the time but glad for the fresh & free interior upgrade. I’m using Cooper ZEON tires on stock 19’s, a great all terrain tire with a sweet and soft ride on roads.

Solid vehicles for sure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Danish Army used the Land Rover Series III for many years - which I believe was the precursor to the Defender.   I really liked them.  

Sure, they paled in comparison to the Mercedes Gelaendewagens we had, but were also MUCH cheaper.  That's the whole point - a Defender is supposed to be a relatively inexpensive, but capable and rugged off-road vehicle.
View Quote

The Mil stuff the Danes had were a bit different than the commercial offerings but underpinnings were basically the same.

Attachment Attached File

You can always tell Danish LW from the rear windowed canopy  and rack.

I've got an old BAOR 109 from the same period.

"Defender" improvement was always evolutionary - more occasional model changes than entirely new vehicles. When the 110 and 90 arrived in '83/'84 they were basically an evolution from Series III Stage I. Hell for 50 years the trucks were named by engineering model and wheelbase.

In '90 Brit Aero got serious about branding and coined Defender. Once BMW got involved in 94, the Defenders became ever more posh - but that basically was additional interior fitments, the underpinnings remained. Like the Beetle, When something remains relatively unchanged for 50 years it develops a following; not necessarily a rational one.

Which is why many - like Ratcliffe - were disappointed then incensed with JLR. So now JLR has a pretty serious competitor - and more true to the uses Rovers have seen than the L663.

W460 Gwagens are awesome - until the unfortunately not uncommon short interval wheel bearing failure happens. Check often and keep bearings on the truck and you'll be fine. But failures horrendous and field replacement sucks.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top