Equally equipped.
Which one?
Go!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no comparison.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ridgeline is a fucking minivan with a bed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wat? Lol
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
F350 Tremor. Duh….
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Muh body on frame construction.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both!    
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]
With current gas prices, ridgeline all day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Hybrid Maverick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With current gas prices, ridgeline all day.
View Quote

This unless you offroad Ridgeline every day
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
2022 is a shit year for midsized trucks. Terrible deals all around and Chevy, Ford, and Toyota will be seeing major refreshes coming up in the next year or two. I believe Honda will also at least be doing an interior refresh to bring it in line with the rest of their models.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Frame trucks are noisy and handle poorly.
Unibody vehicles handle better and have silent interiors.
Frame trucks suck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I’d rather have the Ridgeline, and that’s more of a statement about what I think of the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
What are you planning on doing with it? The Ridgeline is more comfortable, has a higher payload, and can carry sheets of plywood flat in the bed, but it is a minivan with a bed.

The Tacoma is a real body on frame truck. It can be much more capable off-road and holds value like nothing else.

For me I wanted a daily driver that goes to Home Depot. The Ridgeline fit the bill.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Neither. Buy a truck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Frame trucks suck.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Equally equipped.
Which one?
Go!!
View Quote

Only one is a truck, so..
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I love Honda. I've been driving them for 20 years.

That being said, based on current consumer reports, my next vehicle will be Toyota
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And yet the Ridgeline has more payload capacity than a Tundra while the Tacoma is more comparable to the CR-V.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Frame trucks suck.
View Quote
Unibody trucks total when you kick 'em.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
One is an enema, the other is having the shits.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Are you over or under 60 years old.  That is what seems to separate the purchasers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Between those 2, Ridgeline. Really.
TBH not a fan of the current gen Taco's engine, very overrated truck.
Good but not great.

If you're offroading a lot, Jeep Gladiator
If it's mostly a road car and you occasionally need a bed, Ford Maverick or Hyundai Santa Cruz
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Unibody trucks total when you kick 'em.
View Quote

I care about the passengers not the truck.
Plus you aint getting that frame straight and right again no matter what they tell you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you over or under 60 years old.  That is what seems to separate the purchasers.
View Quote
Now that you mention it my 90 year old neighbor does have a Tacoma and I'm less then half that with a Ridgeline. You might be on to something.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2022 is a shit year for midsized trucks. Terrible deals all around and Chevy, Ford, and Toyota will be seeing major refreshes coming up in the next year or two. I believe Honda will also at least be doing an interior refresh to bring it in line with the rest of their models.
View Quote

The Frontier is new, and the Gladiator and Ridgeline are recent enough...
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah I forgot that nissan made trucks.
I thought that nissan only made Section 8 mobiles and exo-necktatoo-boxes
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You also aren't getting any good deals on a Frontier, and that's if you can find them.  Ridgeline's interior cluster is behind the rest of Honda's other offerings, like the Pilot. I keep seeing rumors that this will be updated soon, mostly by people waiting for that update to pick one up.

Given that the deals for midsized trucks are shit, and everything else besides the Frontier is about to see updates, I can't really say I would be excited to buy any mid sized truck this year. If we were seeing discounts similar to what we used to see in the last model year of a generation maybe I'd be more excited to pick one or another but we aren't seeing that at all for obvious reasons. My position is wait and see what happens because it can't be any worse than what we have now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh FFS
Jesus Christ OP
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
For me, Ridgeline.

Toyota couldn’t fix their manufacturing issues even after 10 years (my 05 Taco was better than my 14 Taco).

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I’d rather have the Ridgeline, and that’s more of a statement about what I think of the Tacoma.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You also aren't getting any good deals on a Frontier, and that's if you can find them.  Ridgeline's interior cluster is behind the rest of Honda's other offerings, like the Pilot. I keep seeing rumors that this will be updated soon, mostly by people waiting for that update to pick one up.

Given that the deals for midsized trucks are shit, and everything else besides the Frontier is about to see updates, I can't really say I would be excited to buy any mid sized truck this year. If we were seeing discounts similar to what we used to see in the last model year of a generation maybe I'd be more excited to pick one or another but we aren't seeing that at all for obvious reasons. My position is wait and see what happens because it can't be any worse than what we have now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is most of that any different than the rest of the auto industry?

A whole lot of people are either unable to wait or have been waiting for 2 years. "Normal" isn't coming back.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What are you planning on doing with it? The Ridgeline is more comfortable, has a higher payload, and can carry sheets of plywood flat in the bed, but it is a minivan with a bed.

The Tacoma is a real body on frame truck. It can be much more capable off-road and holds value like nothing else.

For me I wanted a daily driver that goes to Home Depot. The Ridgeline fit the bill.
View Quote

Same for me. I test drove both back to back, and for my needs, I was completely underwhelmed by the Tacoma and bought the Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Equally equipped.
Which one?
Go!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And yet the Ridgeline has more payload capacity than a Tundra while the Tacoma is more comparable to the CR-V.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't try to challenge the alternate facts!

So, I've had both, a current gen Tacoma, and now a current gen Ridgeline.

The Tacoma is a good, reliable truck. It holds value very well, and there's tons of aftermarket for it. If you're going to 'personalize' your vehicle a ton, or if you want to turn it into an off road rock crawling beast, it's probably a good platform for that. The negatives are that if you're over 6' tall, you might not be comfortable. The seat only moves back and forth, and the seat back tilts. That's it. The steering wheel telescopes a little, but not enough. Go sit in one if you're taller. People gripe about the transmission a lot, but it's not hard to figure out how it wants to behave and to work around that. I could make it do what I wanted just by pushing the skinny pedal. Go figure. That said, it could still be annoying on freeway driving - going uphill you'll lose speed, add throttle, lose speed, add more throttle, lose more speed, THEN it will downshift... and now you're accelerating. Back off the throttle and it shifts, then you're slowing again. The workaround was to move the shifter to sequential mode and manually downshift to 5th or 4th.

I traded my 2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 on a 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E... and I couldn't be happier.

I'm not going to crawl rocks

I'm not going to dash through mud pits

I'm not going to tow a 10,000lb boat

Everything people think the Ridgeline can't do are things I wouldn't really want to try to do in it anyway. It's my daily driver. I need it not to be beat to shit and destroyed on some trail out in the middle of nowhere. I had a travel trailer that the RL would have handled just fine and may eventually get another. Mostly I haul my paramotor gear around.

The bonuses of the Ridgeline over the Tacoma I had (yes, they were different trim levels) - The Ridgeline is bigger inside due to not being a body on top of a frame. I have 3-4 inches of headroom. The seat adjusts in every fucking way, so us taller guys can actually get comfortable. The steering wheel telescopes, which makes comfort even more achievable. Engine power is comparable, but the RL feels a little more peppy. The amenities are nice (leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, better audio setup, sunroof etc) and the convenience is nice. Fold up the rear seats and I have a nice FLAT place to haul something if I need to put it in the cab. There's a HUGE trunk under the rear of the bed. I could fit in it and have room left over. With a hard tonneau cover and the automatic locking tailgate they added in the 2020 model, stashing things in the trunk is pretty secure.

The AWD system is stupid awesome. It just figures it out. No need to fuck with 4hi or 4lo, though it does have 4 traction modes. It does all the fancy torque vectoring shit. A few months ago SarahNTuned took a 2022 Ridgeline out to the desert, pointed it at her test hill and it just fucking went right up. The new Nissan Frontier Pro 4X couldn't make it up the first time. The Ridgeline won't be a rock crawler or an off-road beast, but it does quite well in adverse traction situations. As someone here put it "soft road conditions" is where it will shine.

If you're mostly a city dweller and drive on paved surfaces, the handling will be superior to any body-on-frame truck. It just drives so much nicer.

I'd recommend OP go drive a Tacoma, and drive a Ridgeline. Give both an honest shake.

I couldn't be happier with my Ridgeline, and don't regret it one bit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really not. It shares a lot with the Pilot and Passport when it comes to structure. The minivan uses the same engine (and possibly transmission)... That's common.

This is a myth that keeps getting repeated... it's like racking the slide of a shotgun, or firing two blasts into the air.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How is most of that any different than the rest of the auto industry?

A whole lot of people are either unable to wait or have been waiting for 2 years. "Normal" isn't coming back.
View Quote

You are right, normal isn't coming back. But you know what is coming? New generations of all the top sellers. Next year. This isn't like your phone where they come out with these things every year or so.

Need to buy something today? Whatever you can find that doesn't have $5k added onto the sticker price. You don't have the luxury of being picky and leaving it to the GD fanboys to bicker about it.

Don't need to buy something today? Wait, because what's coming next year looks pretty damn good compared to what we have now and there is absolutely zero incentive to pick up anything this year other than it might be available and you have money burning in your pocket that you can't stand being there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Nissan Frontier
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I have an 08 Ridgeline that I bought new.
So I know a little about them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Ridgeline makes more sense for 95% of commuters and average drivers. It's a Honda Pilot SUV with a bed.

Between those two, get the Ridgeline.

On a related note, I seriously considered a Ridgeline, but ended up with a Subaru Outback because that vehicle makes even more sense for the average commute.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
The Ridgeline is more truck than than 75% of truck owners need.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]
4 door off-road slightly optioned Tacoma will have a payload of about 950 pounds.  I had one. Was a pathetic vehicle with the 3.5

If you plan on enjoying it you’ll need gears and a tune.

Gas mileage sucks too.  My F-150 with a 2.7 cost the same as a ridgeline or Tacoma and is far more capable and comfortable. Gets great mileage too.

If you’re comfy in a ridgeline it for sure has its positives. Better ride, trunk.  I’d consider it.  

Since you even mentioned the ridgeline I doubt you’ll be off-roading so ignore the Tacoma as it’s a gas hog with piss poor engine and piss poor tranny programming. Small fuel tank too. Also, hope yuu out enjoy all sorts of shit vibrating from the driveshaft, out of spec axles, and piss poor brake controller on the off road models.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#46]
The RL has been good to me and meets my work and recreation needs.
I threw this out to GD because we have the ability to share different experiences and reasons on a myriad of topics.

I figured that someone may present reasons for me to consider traditional P/U.

A couple of posters made the point that B/F trucks don't handle like unibody independent suspension suv's.

I had an F150 with an 8' bed and it wouldn't turn. When I got my RL it was A LOT better.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Does your husband already have a truck?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Equally equipped.
Which one?
Go!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top