Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tacoma OR I use as a dedicated camping truck. It also has the 6' bed. It's used on actual trails, deserts, mountains, etc. The horrible motor/transmission combo makes it something I just can't DD. It's never passed a gas station it didn't like. It's great on trails....quite the little mountain goat. I like the "retro" small truck ride.
One poster here said it best about the Taco. "The motor and transmission constantly bicker like an old married couple."
He nailed it!

Other than the off road use, which mine actually sees....I vote Ridgeline all day, every day. It would suit my needs and be as great to drive as my Pilot.
It's a unique niche vehicle with good milage, great storage and even better comfort. And as a previous poster said, it has a great AWD system.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ridgeline is a fucking minivan with a bed.
View Quote

Uh oh.  You've done it now.

The Karen Army will be on you faster than the "It's a RAM!" crowd defending Dodge trucks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you taking it off road or not?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d rather have the Ridgeline, and that’s more of a statement about what I think of the Tacoma.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

I that as a former Tacoma owner.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't try to challenge the alternate facts!

So, I've had both, a current gen Tacoma, and now a current gen Ridgeline.

The Tacoma is a good, reliable truck. It holds value very well, and there's tons of aftermarket for it. If you're going to 'personalize' your vehicle a ton, or if you want to turn it into an off road rock crawling beast, it's probably a good platform for that. The negatives are that if you're over 6' tall, you might not be comfortable. The seat only moves back and forth, and the seat back tilts. That's it. The steering wheel telescopes a little, but not enough. Go sit in one if you're taller. People gripe about the transmission a lot, but it's not hard to figure out how it wants to behave and to work around that. I could make it do what I wanted just by pushing the skinny pedal. Go figure. That said, it could still be annoying on freeway driving - going uphill you'll lose speed, add throttle, lose speed, add more throttle, lose more speed, THEN it will downshift... and now you're accelerating. Back off the throttle and it shifts, then you're slowing again. The workaround was to move the shifter to sequential mode and manually downshift to 5th or 4th.

I traded my 2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 on a 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E... and I couldn't be happier.

I'm not going to crawl rocks

I'm not going to dash through mud pits

I'm not going to tow a 10,000lb boat

Everything people think the Ridgeline can't do are things I wouldn't really want to try to do in it anyway. It's my daily driver. I need it not to be beat to shit and destroyed on some trail out in the middle of nowhere. I had a travel trailer that the RL would have handled just fine and may eventually get another. Mostly I haul my paramotor gear around.

The bonuses of the Ridgeline over the Tacoma I had (yes, they were different trim levels) - The Ridgeline is bigger inside due to not being a body on top of a frame. I have 3-4 inches of headroom. The seat adjusts in every fucking way, so us taller guys can actually get comfortable. The steering wheel telescopes, which makes comfort even more achievable. Engine power is comparable, but the RL feels a little more peppy. The amenities are nice (leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, better audio setup, sunroof etc) and the convenience is nice. Fold up the rear seats and I have a nice FLAT place to haul something if I need to put it in the cab. There's a HUGE trunk under the rear of the bed. I could fit in it and have room left over. With a hard tonneau cover and the automatic locking tailgate they added in the 2020 model, stashing things in the trunk is pretty secure.

The AWD system is stupid awesome. It just figures it out. No need to fuck with 4hi or 4lo, though it does have 4 traction modes. It does all the fancy torque vectoring shit. A few months ago SarahNTuned took a 2022 Ridgeline out to the desert, pointed it at her test hill and it just fucking went right up. The new Nissan Frontier Pro 4X couldn't make it up the first time. The Ridgeline won't be a rock crawler or an off-road beast, but it does quite well in adverse traction situations. As someone here put it "soft road conditions" is where it will shine.

If you're mostly a city dweller and drive on paved surfaces, the handling will be superior to any body-on-frame truck. It just drives so much nicer.

I'd recommend OP go drive a Tacoma, and drive a Ridgeline. Give both an honest shake.

I couldn't be happier with my Ridgeline, and don't regret it one bit.
View Quote

This guy knows.

I test drove a Ridgeline back when they looked like an Avalanche. My issue with them, at that time, was the lawsuit for Honda's cylinder deactivation and my perception that the Ridgeline was way light in the rear end. It hopped around a lot on the test drive.

In a frank conversation with the Honda salesman, he told me to buy a 4Runner.....I did.

Current Ridgeline....I like them. And @Matthew_Q is right.

Most will never do the things they say they want to do.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the honda AWD? Honest question.

We're going to be shopping soon, but live out in the sticks a couple miles down some gravel roads that get nasty in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Tacoma is a good, reliable truck. It holds value very well, and there's tons of aftermarket for it. If you're going to 'personalize' your vehicle a ton, or if you want to turn it into an off road rock crawling beast, it's probably a good platform for that. The negatives are that if you're over 6' tall, you might not be comfortable. The seat only moves back and forth, and the seat back tilts. That's it. The steering wheel telescopes a little, but not enough. Go sit in one if you're taller. People gripe about the transmission a lot, but it's not hard to figure out how it wants to behave and to work around that. I could make it do what I wanted just by pushing the skinny pedal. Go figure. That said, it could still be annoying on freeway driving - going uphill you'll lose speed, add throttle, lose speed, add more throttle, lose more speed, THEN it will downshift... and now you're accelerating. Back off the throttle and it shifts, then you're slowing again. The workaround was to move the shifter to sequential mode and manually downshift to 5th or 4th.

I traded my 2017 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 on a 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E... and I couldn't be happier.

Everything people think the Ridgeline can't do are things I wouldn't really want to try to do in it anyway. It's my daily driver. I need it not to be beat to shit and destroyed on some trail out in the middle of nowhere. I had a travel trailer that the RL would have handled just fine and may eventually get another. Mostly I haul my paramotor gear around.

The bonuses of the Ridgeline over the Tacoma I had (yes, they were different trim levels) - The Ridgeline is bigger inside due to not being a body on top of a frame. I have 3-4 inches of headroom. The seat adjusts in every fucking way, so us taller guys can actually get comfortable. The steering wheel telescopes, which makes comfort even more achievable. Engine power is comparable, but the RL feels a little more peppy. The amenities are nice (leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, better audio setup, sunroof etc) and the convenience is nice. Fold up the rear seats and I have a nice FLAT place to haul something if I need to put it in the cab. There's a HUGE trunk under the rear of the bed. I could fit in it and have room left over. With a hard tonneau cover and the automatic locking tailgate they added in the 2020 model, stashing things in the trunk is pretty secure.

The AWD system is stupid awesome. It just figures it out. No need to fuck with 4hi or 4lo, though it does have 4 traction modes. It does all the fancy torque vectoring shit. A few months ago SarahNTuned took a 2022 Ridgeline out to the desert, pointed it at her test hill and it just fucking went right up. The new Nissan Frontier Pro 4X couldn't make it up the first time. The Ridgeline won't be a rock crawler or an off-road beast, but it does quite well in adverse traction situations. As someone here put it "soft road conditions" is where it will shine.

If you're mostly a city dweller and drive on paved surfaces, the handling will be superior to any body-on-frame truck. It just drives so much nicer.

I'd recommend OP go drive a Tacoma, and drive a Ridgeline. Give both an honest shake.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet the Ridgeline has more payload capacity than a Tundra while the Tacoma is more comparable to the CR-V.

Thank you for this post, that was well thought out and I appreciate it. I see a AWD Ridgeline in the parking garage and I think it looks pretty great and it would solve my only grip with a sedan, storage space.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]
For my needs, Ridgeline. I just wish they'd drop the V6 and go with a turbo 4.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We're going to be shopping soon, but live out in the sticks a couple miles down some gravel roads that get nasty in the winter.
View Quote

Yes, AWD. They used to have FWD as the base option but I believe that was dropped a few years ago. Still might want to double check on any used ones if you are looking.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

and it looks gay
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And yet the Ridgeline has more payload capacity than a Tundra while the Tacoma is more comparable to the CR-V.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the ridgeline is still a minivan with a bed!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Towing a 5000 lb. 21' travel trailer with a Ridgeline -

2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T towing 5k pound 21' travel trailer 750m Review
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but you can get FWD as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
One is a truck. The other is a Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Karen Army will be on you faster than the "It's a RAM!" crowd defending Dodge trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do people think that the guys trying to look macho by shitting on something aren't the Karens?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you for this post, that was well thought out and I appreciate it. I see a AWD Ridgeline in the parking garage and I think it looks pretty great and it would solve my only grip with a sedan, storage space.
View Quote

@Matthew_Q always has some good and thoughtful insight into his experience with the RL's
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are right, normal isn't coming back. But you know what is coming? New generations of all the top sellers. Next year. This isn't like your phone where they come out with these things every year or so.

Need to buy something today? Whatever you can find that doesn't have $5k added onto the sticker price. You don't have the luxury of being picky and leaving it to the GD fanboys to bicker about it.

Don't need to buy something today? Wait, because what's coming next year looks pretty damn good compared to what we have now and there is absolutely zero incentive to pick up anything this year other than it might be available and you have money burning in your pocket that you can't stand being there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is most of that any different than the rest of the auto industry?

A whole lot of people are either unable to wait or have been waiting for 2 years. "Normal" isn't coming back.

You are right, normal isn't coming back. But you know what is coming? New generations of all the top sellers. Next year. This isn't like your phone where they come out with these things every year or so.

Need to buy something today? Whatever you can find that doesn't have $5k added onto the sticker price. You don't have the luxury of being picky and leaving it to the GD fanboys to bicker about it.

Don't need to buy something today? Wait, because what's coming next year looks pretty damn good compared to what we have now and there is absolutely zero incentive to pick up anything this year other than it might be available and you have money burning in your pocket that you can't stand being there.

Without going deep down the rabbit hole of fan forums, how much to we really know about the upcoming models?

We've seen the global version of the 5th gen Ranger. The chassis is updated and it has fresh skin, but the drivetrain is carryover. Probably not worth the wait.

Do we know anything about the future Colorado? If they aren't moving away from the 8L45 transmission, we know we can just throw the whole truck away.

Tacoma speculation is rampant. We know it's going to TNGA. We can safely guess it's an I4 turbo. With the launch of the Tundra going sideways, that's going to scare a lot of Tacoma buyers.

That leaves the Ridgeline. It just got a mid-cycle refresh for 2021. What are they going to do? Give it a new infotainment system? That's probably not worth the wait.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, but you can get FWD as well.
View Quote

Honda went to AWD only on the Ridgeline with the 2021 and newer models. It's a great system, but there's no way to manually put it in 4x4 like the old Ridgeline (I've never had or driven an first gen Ridgeline, but IIRC, there's a button that engages the front and rear drive. The new system just figures out what you need)
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't need to do truck things. Some decoys for waterfowl and Home Depot runs. So I have a Ridgeline.

Also, I'm not as manly as some others.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, have you gotten your current vehicle stuck while enjoying hobbies? If no, ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honda went to AWD only on the Ridgeline with the 2021 and newer models. It's a great system, but there's no way to manually put it in 4x4 like the old Ridgeline (I've never had or driven an first gen Ridgeline, but IIRC, there's a button that engages the front and rear drive. The new system just figures out what you need)
View Quote

In gear selection 1,2 or R you can push a button on the dash that locks in ALL WHEEL DRIVE, not 4X4. When engaged, you must be on dirt, snow, or a slick surface. Not hard top.

Otherwise, it's on demand AWD. Lose grip in the front drive and it engages the rear diff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The Tacoma rides so bad the passenger throws up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That leaves the Ridgeline. It just got a mid-cycle refresh for 2021. What are they going to do? Give it a new infotainment system? That's probably not worth the wait.
View Quote

The refresh was purely cosmetic. Nothing of substance changed with the 2021 model. The front end looks better.

The infotainment system... that's another thing I'll gripe about. It works well and sounds decent, but it's slow. Starting the truck with my Android phone connected, it's a good 20-30 seconds before Android Auto starts up. The 2021es the same head unit, it just has an added physical knob for the volume.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I sort of miss the old Ridgeline it was distinctive looking the new one? blah.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Tacoma rides so bad the passenger throws up.
View Quote

The rear is undersprung in the Tacoma, I had to add airbags to level it when towing. The front shocks were just about shot by 33k on the clock, and that was with almost entirely on-road driving. Had I kept it, I would have put Bilsteins or something better all the way around, and then put some SumoSprings in the rear.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/6c/ac/566cac33756b3280f241d31c3060120b.jpg

If the PT cruiser gets to be identified as a truck, so does the Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
If you have to ask such a stupid question then the answer is.... Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Truck things: Honda
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For my needs, Ridgeline. I just wish they'd drop the V6 and go with a turbo 4.
View Quote

I’d be amenable to that.

Drop the J35 with a timing belt as a scheduled maintenance item and stick the K20 Turbo in it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In gear selection 1,2 or R you can push a button on the dash that locks in ALL WHEEL DRIVE, not 4X4. When engaged, you must be on dirt, snow, or a slick surface. Not hard top.

Otherwise, it's on demand AWD. Lose grip in the front drive and it engages the rear diff.
View Quote

your 2008 ridgeline is the vehicle you should keep for now

Our economy is about to completely fucking crash in the next year. Don't have a car payment.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
F350 Tremor. Duh.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I believe the AWD lock can be used under 25 mph, which is good for getting unstuck. If you going 25 mph, you don't really need AWD.

The AWD computer Honda uses is one of the best, "dynamic" AWD control systems.

The Ridgeline is higher off the ground than most SUV's and has larger tires.

The  Frontier seating is better than the Tacoma for me.

Tacoma seats are on the floor and barely enough for average height men and not enough for taller.

The Tacoma still has rear drum brakes.

Even the traction control on the FWD Ridgeline is decent for getting around.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
You won't find a Taco as equipped as a loaded Ridgeline.

I would rather have the Taco.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Pretty sure that Ridgline owners arent the ones getting butt fucked at the pump.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the PT cruiser gets to be identified as a truck, so does the Ridgeline.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#40]

That’s a funny looking ridgeline.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

I see way too many fords that stay that clean.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Which one has a manual trans?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#43]
OP wants something that looks like a truck but doesn't want a truck. Buy an Odyssey instead. Those things are fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You won't find a Taco as equipped as a loaded Ridgeline.

I would rather have the Taco.
View Quote
I really wanted to buy the Tacoma when I drove them head to head in 2019, but I ended up buying the Ridgeline.

The current Taco is built for people shorter than 6 feet tall who never have to drive in the hills.

With the Acura derived AWD system, the Ridgeline is a sports car compared to just about anything else with a bed when it comes to handling and road manners.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Ridgeline is the better of the two for a daily driver if you can live with the looks.

The Tacoma would be my pick for an off roader. Or if looks are important.

Honestly, I would go full size of your choice, except Tundra.

Never buy in the first year of production. Period.

Right now I would go V8 Ram or V8 Titan.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My buddy has a 4cyl Tacoma.  It's not something I would have chosen over the Ridgeline.
View Quote

I have the 2.7 access cab model with a manual.  On flat land it’s not bad, but in the hills it’s a dog.  Fuel mileage sucks by today’s standards, 20mpg is about the best I can hope for on the highway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#48]
More please.

Leaning way Honda.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
More please.

Leaning way Honda.
View Quote

Go drive them. Make sure there are hills and long grades. I test drove my Tacoma on flat Midwestern roads 3 times. It wasn't until the first hill and long grade did I instantly regret it.
I should have bought the RL, but wanted the 6 foot bed.

But you should get some time behind the wheel. I would bet 99% of the replies against the RL here are from people who have never even been in one. Because their inflated egos wouldn't let them test drive it anyway.
I know a lot of ham fisted, rough and tough grizzled retired farmers here that have them and love it. They don't need that full sized 3/4 ton anymore, but piddle around enough with projects that they need something comfortable with a decent degree of utility.

It just plain works for some people.  And the freedom to choose is scary for others..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top