Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2019 3:21:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn nature, you scary!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was in Perth back in 2000 I did a lot of spearfishing because I used to do it in the Mediterranean too.

Not keeping your kills with you was a must.

I swear to god, in my life, I never watched my 6 while swimming/diving like I did during these 3 months...

And seeing sharks sucked. I hate sharks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in Perth back in 2000 I did a lot of spearfishing because I used to do it in the Mediterranean too.

I swear to god, in my life, I never watched my 6 while swimming/diving like I did during these 3 months...

View Quote
I've had a few lucky years spearing in California without running into sharks. I'm really looking forward to freshwater spearfishing where I am the biggest baddest predator around.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Biologists have gotten shark populations out of control.  I fished offshore quite a bit in the seventies and eighties, and while sharks were commonly caught, it was nowhere near like it’s been over the past ten years.  Seems like every year they are getting more numerous.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a real close encounter with a giant bull, while wading a flat in the keys.  Really shook me up for a few days. But I still go out when I can.

Somedays your the big spoon, somedays your the little
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Biologists have gotten shark populations out of control.  I fished offshore quite a bit in the seventies and eighties, and while sharks were commonly caught, it was nowhere near like it’s been over the past ten years.  Seems like every year they are getting more numerous.
View Quote
Population has tripled on West Coast and doubled on the East Coast. But Australia is having the most attacks of any Western Nation Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
JAWS!!!!

Yep fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll always regret not diving in Monterey while I was there. But the combo of no drysuit and mildly regular problems with great whites while I was there I passed.

I'd feel more comfortable diving great barrier cause at least there's visibility and less surprises.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen aerial images of how many sharks are in close proximity to public beaches in coastal NC. I no longer insert myself into that food chain...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck sharks
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a real close encounter with a giant bull, while wading a flat in the keys.  Really shook me up for a few days. But I still go out when I can.

Somedays your the big spoon, somedays your the little
View Quote
A bud and I got pinned in a small crevice in a big coral head by a f’in huge bull shark in the Bahamas while free diving and pole spear fishing years ago. [no tanks or trigger guns permitted.]

The couldn’t get to us or our catch but wouldn’t leave. We swam over to top of the head, which was awash and our bellies got burned by the fire coral.

That incident and several others had me checking my six a lot for years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#12]
LoL. I visit the beach. I observe the water while consuming large quantities of adult beverages. Do not enter water. Also, scope out bikinis. Fuck getting in the water.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I like to boogie board at the coast. seen a few sharks while waiting for a big wave to come in.

Witnessed a couple dolphin beating the hell out of a shark about 20 yards away from me. I often wonder if those guys saved my ass that day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Bulk sharks worry me that's about it. I've been lucky as far as run ins go. The only time I've been close to sharks was when I used to go across state to surf with some buddies at Sebastian Inlet. Not too far off the jetty once we got past the waves breaking there was almost always Blacktip and other small sharks smashing bait balls.

Drifted close a few times but you just had to be mindful and not get too close.

had a spot off a small pier where my buddies and I during low tide would jump down and wade fish (was only 2-3 ft deep. We had chairs we'd setup and just drink and fish. We stopped that when a guy showed up one night and showed us a photo of a 9ft bull he literally pulled in during low tide the night before. In hindsight that was retarded of us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#17]
hunt them down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
The professional fishermen (Japanese) that I have spoken with blame long line and driftnet overfishing for the past 50 years. They think that the sharks, especially larger ones are coming closer inshore to hunt as stocks dwindle.

Australia's fisheries have been decimated.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I get in the ocean just to piss out all the PBR I consume.

That’s it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I pretty much live in the ocean when I'm on the coast and never worry about sharks at all. I'm fascinated by them and watch every second of Shark Week and Shark Fest, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I love spearfishing, but I’ll get out of the water when the sharks start acting wierd
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Stepping in the ocean in Australia is just a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
They always tell you to “hit them on the nose!”

Yeah, well clearly that shark had trained for that shit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LoL. I visit the beach. I observe the water while consuming large quantities of adult beverages. Do not enter water. Also, scope out bikinis. Fuck getting in the water.
View Quote
This right here.

Getting in the water? Sure. Splash out to chest level and come back.

If God wanted me around that ecosystem he’d give me gills.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This right here.

Getting in the water? Sure. Splash out to chest level and come back.

If God wanted me around that ecosystem he’d give me gills.
View Quote
Bingo. I’m going to die someday, of that there is no doubt.

There are some ways that I guarantee I’ll never die, though. I will never get eaten by a shark, I’ll never die in a roller coaster accident, and I’ll never sink on a ship. Of that, I’m certain.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
being eaten alive is the most terrifying thing imaginable... I suppose a common part of the human condition..
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm reasonably safe in Kansas but still check to make sure no sharks are sneaking up on me just in case!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#29]
If I were CINC, I would have A-10's patrolling all shorelines, with Presidential orders to nuke anything that looks hinky.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm reasonably safe in Kansas but still check to make sure no sharks are sneaking up on me just in case!
View Quote
Knock knock

Whose there?

Land Shark

Who?

Avon Lady
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
damn that sucks. I have a friend that lives there.  they on the water a lot
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Little known fact.

100 percent of shark attacks can be prevented by STAYING OUT OF THE OCEAN. Strange but true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BcaJf8g90
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The professional fishermen (Japanese) that I have spoken with blame long line and driftnet overfishing for the past 50 years. They think that the sharks, especially larger ones are coming closer inshore to hunt as stocks dwindle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know banning gill nets for mullet here has seemed to bring more saltwater predators much closer as well.  Red snapper are grossly overpopulated as well.  Good old government funded research, tell us what we pay you to tell us.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#34]
After commercial spearfishing in FL for many years.... Bull sharks are on another level. The rest are just whatever.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
hunt them down.
View Quote
Or just avoid them.

Don’t want to get shot, don’t come into my living room. See how this works?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I love swimming with razor blades.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've had a few lucky years spearing in California without running into sharks. I'm really looking forward to freshwater spearfishing where I am the biggest baddest predator around.
View Quote
Well don’t come to Texas too damn many alligators.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Knock knock

Whose there?

Land Shark

Who?

Avon Lady
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well don’t come to Texas too damn many alligators.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#41]
No sharks where I dive!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn.  Shark was going for two pair.  Missed it by a foot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No sharks where I dive!
View Quote
Saved by man made dams
https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/sharks-in-illinois/154988Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#45]
This is clearly Gerardo Parra's fault
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Everyone calm down. "Scientists" tell us Sharks only bite people by mistake. They think we are seals. There is no concern. The sharks are simply confused. They dont mean it. They actually like humans, just a simple misunderstanding is all. Now, everyone back in the water.
View Quote
That’s what I’ve heard.   They take a taste and decide quickly they don’t like us.  I’m sure that helps when a fifteen foot great white has a nibble.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I were CINC, I would have A-10's patrolling all shorelines, with Presidential orders to nuke anything that looks hinky.
View Quote
I always wanted to do a show where I ride around in a boat and trail dynamite wrapped in meat.  About the time a great white goes to chomp down, boom!  Raised Bud Lite cans and high fives all around!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chomp chomp says Mr Gator lol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'll always regret not diving in Monterey while I was there. But the combo of no drysuit and mildly regular problems with great whites while I was there I passed.

I'd feel more comfortable diving great barrier cause at least there's visibility and less surprises.
View Quote
Just sitting at Monterey watching the water one early morning and this 60 something endurance swimmer hogs right by and dives into the choppy wind blown water of the bay and starts swimming straight out and across a few mile wide gap in the bay.

I began to tingle with “nope”.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top