Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A few years ago, I was looking seriously into a few small companies that were making conversion kits to allow Saiga 223 rifles to take AR magazines. Seemed like a great idea to me, but then the Saiga's dried up. A reliable way to use all the AR mags and 223 I had, in an AK.

The conversion was also fairly expensive. They usually needed a bit of milling to the AK action and trunnion, and by by the time you added the mag well, it was several hundred dollars to get the job done. It would be great if a manufacturer like PSA would make their AK receiver with an integral aluminum AR mag well. All the goodness of 223 and AR mags, with an AK action. Pretty interesting when you think about it... how important the magazine is to work with the cartridge. We have AKs that run great converted to run AR 223 mags, and now also have AR's that use AK mags to shoot 7.62x39.

The AK action is great, but I wound up sticking to the AR since I can easily buy and replace every component on the gun in my basement with a vice. Not that I've burned through too many barrels (if any) on my AR's, but I like the idea that I can install a new barrel and bolt in less time than it takes my bottle of beer gets warm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, I hate underfolders though. That's why I put a side folding trunnion in my 5.56 trashcan gun.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Have 2, had 3. A 106fr and a wasr 3 then a 106cr that was a pile of crap and the lgs took it back. The fr has been great and the wasr I think runs 100% now with steel case, but it was really cheap. Both are pretty accurate for aks.

The circle 10 mags are pricey but awesome. I have no desire to make them take ar mags.

I'm still mad I never bought a Beryl/Archer when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
"Wigger mags"  lol..

Do they say "yo!" before and after every sentence?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AK in general. The bolt in a 556 AK is in the same spot right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with a 556 AK?
The AK in general. The bolt in a 556 AK is in the same spot right?
Do you also refuse to fire all bolt actions for the same reason? You are talking about firing a round purposefully engineered to cause a abnormal catistrophic failure. Even a regular kaboom because of a failure shouldn't result in the same result. Since we aren't swimming in Vietnam era NVA surplus ammunition I don't see that as being a valid fear at all.

Edit: I missed the joke part should have finished the first page first.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice ak.     Like the stock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some of that hard primer .223 ammo at $0.15/rd and it only works in my Yugo AKs at about 28/30rds. It won't go off in my Saiga, SAR, or others. My M90NP has been making a LOT of trips to the range with me lately to shoot up all that cheap ammo. Great gun, lots of fun, and even more fun at 75% the cost. It was only 65% the cost back when I got it before the election.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't get it. But have at it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Wigger mags"  lol..

Do they say "yo!" before and after every sentence?
View Quote
I don't get it. Please explain.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will add: magazines cost more.

The Arsenal SA-M5 uses polymer Bulgarian "Circle 10" mags - they are out there but always more than $20; often 35 or 45 bucks each.

The SAR uses steel "Wigger"'mags made in E.Germany and they are simply not available.  I have 6 of them; would like to pick up a few more someday.

Worse still: I'm having a Yugo M-95 under folder built and it takes completely different 556 magazines!

With original stock magazines, my guns have proven very reliable.
View Quote
That's why I dumped my M95 Underfolder a while back. Mags were a pain to get. The Yugo worked with Bulgarian Circle 10s. But still.....

Then the M90NP appeared. Love the fact that from the factory it takes AR mags. I have no problem wih AK using 5.56 rock in mags. I just hate that there isn't a standard pattern across the board. This solves that problem.... hell, I'd be happy if 5.56 AKs used Mini-14 mags.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top