Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
  That never progressed beyond prototype form,which has nothing to do with the stupidest phase to ever infect the gun community.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get me wrong, I love the P90 (Stargate SG-1 was on all the time growing up) and I would love to own one someday, but they're just too damned expensive.

Especially because you pretty much have to SBR the PS90, during which you have to rethread the barrel, and of course then you have to get a suppressor. It's just SOP. Lots of time and money.

I know there's some AR57s out there, post 'em up!

(And continue with the FiveseveNs and P90s!)
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
O.K., it's rant mode time...

I own a PS90 and a FiveseveN pistol. The price that FN charges for them is frickking OUTRAGEOUS! If you break down a PS90 it's pretty damn simple. Frankly I'm surprised that no one has came out with a clone as the patents are expired. In addition the receiver is a CRAPPY ASS casting with parting line marks all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I love both weapons BUT they are WAY over priced!

It's pretty obvious that FN cares about civilian customers about as much as HK, they dropped the OD Green PS90, they dropped the Tri Rail receiver (they still offer it on P90's).
View Quote
No different than the SCAR platform.  I mean hell at least you can get the PS90 for around $1200 every now and then.  SCARS never go below $2300...when new.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Issues with the LF primers?
View Quote
I have a lot [cases] of 'expired' SS195 and the primers still work  

lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I own a PS90 and a FiveseveN pistol. The price that FN charges for them is frickking OUTRAGEOUS! If you break down a PS90 it's pretty damn simple. Frankly I'm surprised that no one has came out with a clone as the patents are expired. In addition the receiver is a CRAPPY ASS casting with parting line marks all over it.

It's pretty obvious that FN cares about civilian customers about as much as HK, they dropped the OD Green PS90, they dropped the Tri Rail receiver (they still offer it on P90's).

Here is a photo of a particularly bad casting on a PS90....

https://i.imgur.com/JVI1xDW.jpg

Here is a photo of what the receiver CAN look like (after a lot of custom work).....

https://i.imgur.com/LJtSHdo.jpg
View Quote
If the gun does what it's supposed to, I would have far better things to do with my time than dress one up...

Or for Heaven's sakes -paint one...

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd love to have a 5.7 upper, or an SBR PS90.

But a subsonic 55gr bullet is anemic.  

300blk subs are kinda cool because of the mass and sectional density of the projectile.

5.7 is interesting with the hot ammo
View Quote
This is true. The only reason to have it. Subs are just to impress others while using a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am waiting for Glock to build one.
View Quote
Glock only builds one pistol. That would require an actual redesign. Never going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Glock only builds one pistol. That would require an actual redesign. Never going to happen.
View Quote
Aren't they up to three pistols now?  Maybe more if you differentiate between different generations.

For the most part they just do large frame (G20/G21), medium frame (G17/G19/G22 etc), and small frame (G42/G43).  So a 5.7 glock is pretty unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is true. The only reason to have it. Subs are just to impress others while using a suppressor.
View Quote
subs are useful for things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That never progressed beyond prototype form,which has nothing to do with the stupidest phase to ever infect the gun community.
View Quote
Made for the same purpose as the FN57.   They did make the mp7 but you can't have that either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed, but would you purchase an AR-15 lower that looked like the before picture I posted. We are accepting mediocrity and at an outrageous retail price.  
View Quote
If I needed it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't comment too much on balistics which hasn't already been discussed. I think it's a decent pdw round that's more comparable to a high-efficiently pistol round than a rifle round. I own a FiveSeven that I carry occasionally more because I like the pointability and ethos.

I also have two PS90s - one is an SBR (OD green)  that I generally suppress with a Specwar 556. I have a Burris FF3 on it. The other is a Title 1 gun - I extended the butt pad and permanently attached a silencer (Griffin Spartan 3) to a 10.5" CMMG barrel/thread adapter. The system (I hate that term, but it is what it is) is very quiet and the perfect home defense weapon for my wife who finds the AR - including my 10.5" SBR - too unwieldy and hard to charge. It has a C-More.  I've popped off rounds indoors and it sounds pretty good, though the action noise is most definitely present. Not nearly as quiet as a suppressed 9mm or 300 sub, but it's a zippy round.

I've never tried any of the boutique rounds, but the store bought AE and SS197 is fine and reliable. I really don't trust subsonic 5.7 as it's just too slow to make good use of the bullet shape; basically a jacketed .22. A good comparison would be a .32 cal or .25ACP. The SS198LF is a bit hotter and cycles well, bu Bud spendy. I am invested in the ammo and generally keep 5-6K rounds on hand. Frankly, I just can't complain about the guns as the fill their role as well as any.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. But were talking about 5.7 here. I'm not an operator, operating quietly. And that sub round going off next to your ear, through plastic (PS90), isn't that quiet. But still sounds cool!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Adding - there is some discussion re: little practical info on the rounds effectiveness outside of the Ft. Hood shooting. Actually, Houston PD deployed the P90 to good effect a few years back and reportedly "unzipped" an armed suspect. This may have involved a hostage situation, but memory fails.  The P90 is deployed in Houston, Dallas and Jacksonville, FL.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a PS90 for a while. Wasn't that impressed, and sold it.
Since then, WA legalized SBRs, which makes them slightly more intriguing... but the ammo cost / availability / hassle of reloading is a pretty steep hill to get over. It's just not that impressive of a cartridge for what you pay for it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had a PS90 for a while. Wasn't that impressed, and sold it.
Since then, WA legalized SBRs, which makes them slightly more intriguing... but the ammo cost / availability / hassle of reloading is a pretty steep hill to get over. It's just not that impressive of a cartridge for what you pay for it.  
View Quote
30-40 cents/round is definitely worth it to me.

Why is everyone skipping over the AR57 pistol?! Half the cost of a PS90, same length as an SBR, with AR controls. No brainer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why is everyone skipping over the AR57 pistol?! Half the cost of a PS90, same length as an SBR, with AR controls. No brainer.
View Quote
Only objection I have is it's heavy for my SO to tote around in the woods...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Speaking of suppressors, I have a Silencerco Specter II. Supposedly it's rated for the 5.7x28 round (in addition to the 17hmr and full-auto .22).

Anyone know or can confirm if that's actually true? Can I put it on the PS90, Five-seveN, or an AR57 without having it explode?

I have always liked the idea and looks of the P90, I have a couple .300blk AR pistols and could likely be talked into an AR57, and wouldn't mind having a cool pistol that used the same ammo, even if it is expensive. Especially if I already owned the proper suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Speaking of suppressors, I have a Silencerco Specter II. Supposedly it's rated for the 5.7x28 round (in addition to the 17hmr and full-auto .22).

Anyone know or can confirm if that's actually true? Can I put it on the PS90, Five-seveN, or an AR57 without having it explode?

I have always liked the idea and looks of the P90, I have a couple .300blk AR pistols and could likely be talked into an AR57, and wouldn't mind having a cool pistol that used the same ammo, even if it is expensive. Especially if I already owned the proper suppressor.
View Quote
I don't know for sure if the Specter is rated for 5.7 (I think it is), but rimfire cans are a bit dissapointing on 5.7 guns to to the inherent lack of volume. I prefer using a 5.56 can or a titanium 9mm can (with manufacturer's approval).
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The PS90 is 20" when SBR'd and can be shot perfectly one handed. Pretty handy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've used both my Spectre II suppressors on my PS90 SBR and my 5.7 pistol. It works well on the PS90, little more blowback than what I'd prefer but totally livable. On the pistol I get a lot of blowback, a lot more than I'd prefer, and it makes it less pleasant to shoot. The suppressor gets hot pretty quick but I've never had any issues using them on either gun, even when doing relatively fast mag dumps. Honestly, I prefer my Octane 45 with a 22 endcap on it. The blowback on the SBR and pistol just about goes away completely and the suppression is still very good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know for sure if the Specter is rated for 5.7 (I think it is), but rimfire cans are a bit dissapointing on 5.7 guns to to the inherent lack of volume. I prefer using a 5.56 can or a titanium 9mm can (with manufacturer's approval).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct! I started out with a Sparrow can. It was too loud still. Quickly moved to a 5.56 suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is a photo of what the receiver CAN look like (after a lot of custom work).....

View Quote
That does look much nicer, and saves the hassle/cost of a Effen90 or Thompson billet receiver.
Any details on the work? I'm assuming it wasn't Ceracoat that put it on the mill
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is correct! I started out with a Sparrow can. It was too loud still. Quickly moved to a 5.56 suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mini/Micro 556 cans are the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the replies and info. I have a couple other cans, but they wouldn't work either. The older AAC Cyclone pretty much lives on my .308 boltgun, and would have the wrong threads anyway; and the 7.62 SDN-6 needs the QD flash suppressor mounts, which I pretty much have on everything else.

If I get any more suppressors, it would likely be more of the same... another SDN-6 in 5.56, for example, so I didn't have to change out the mounts. That would likely work fine for the PS90 or AR57, but would look awfully funny on the Five-seveN.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

... like murdering Swedish reporters and disposing of their bodies.  
View Quote
I was going to accuse you of a COC violation, but remembered that Swedes aren't people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh, I guess it's time to march across the belts again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was going to accuse you of a COC violation, but remembered that Swedes aren't people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*click*
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
*click*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*click*
Years of me hating on G3s, and that's all it took?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Out of all your almost 67k posts this one is by far the most inciteful.
View Quote
Shove it puppypack
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*click*
First you disrespect his holiness Saint Vorgrimmler (PBUH), and now this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup. And if I remember right, HK was like the only gun company that fought to stop the 1990's AWB.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

First you disrespect his holiness Saint Vorgrimmler (PBUH), and now this.
View Quote
I had to stop hating on you joining NATO since you and the Finns have the only populations in North or Western Europe  where more than  half the population would support a war of national defense.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a lot [cases] of 'expired' SS195 and the primers still work  

lol
View Quote
Mine does too-- so far...  How much longer?  I dunno.

I don't want to pay big money (to me.lol) for new SS198 with LF primers though.

I was prepared to get over it, but the thought of potentially "rotating" ammo stock is stupid to me.  My grandkids could shoot perfectly fine SS192 and SS190 someday 30 years from now, but could they shoot LF SS198?  I have no idea.  Not about to pay premium to find out!

If it isn't (100% reliably) stackable for long term, it isn't even interesting to me (unless free or almost free).
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Here is a photo of a particularly bad casting on a PS90....

https://i.imgur.com/JVI1xDW.jpg

View Quote
Amen brother!  The gun is stupid cheap to make.  Shurely to pete they've recouped their costs 1000 fold by now.lol

I wish someone would clone the shit out of it.  A decent manufacturer could probably turn a healthy profit in the sub $500 zone.

If it were cheap enough that many more shooters had one, then surely cheaper ammo could follow too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To whet appetites for the PS90, a few photos....

Repurposing a Pelican laptop case....

https://i.imgur.com/NraSVuQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/POSrKDr.jpg

And to be able carry it in the field, there is a built in sling attachment for the PS90....

https://i.imgur.com/DM3lTgV.jpg
View Quote
Wow, I'm jealous of that case!. Might have to copy you.

When I first got the PS90, I bought some Stargate sling that was being cloned by some guy online.lol  I don't think the hardware is the greatest, but I've seen every episode of SG ever made, so I had to have a harness just for fun.  The wife even got a kick out of it.  "Wow! Isn't that the Stargate gun?!?!?!".  First time she ever recognized a particular weapon in her life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]

I like the 5.7x28mm.... especially in my SBR'ed PS90.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll make one more post in regards to the 5.7x28's terminal ballistics. I take anything that comes from Doctor Roberts as gospel, as he is one of the foremost experts in terminal ballistics in the world.
View Quote
My take on this is that HK and FN missed the mark. Something like 5.56x30, 6x35 or even 30 Carbine works about as well as 5.56x45, and isn't much larger. Hell, 5.56x30 will fit in a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Both Fackler and Roberts believe that a projectile the weight of a bowling ball traveling at three fps is more effective than a lightweight projectile doing over 2,000 fps.
View Quote
Roberts would never say that. His methods are a lot more sound than energy calculations.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll make one more post in regards to the 5.7x28's terminal ballistics. I take anything that comes from Doctor Roberts as gospel, as he is one of the foremost experts in terminal ballistics in the world.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm
View Quote
Appreciate the input. I understand it's not for tier 1 operators, but I still love the caliber. I feel more comfortable with my AR57 for HD than my 92A1 (or 870 ), and isn't that what really matters?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I would love a ps90 bullet hose
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:15:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To whet appetites for the PS90, a few photos....

Repurposing a Pelican laptop case....

https://i.imgur.com/NraSVuQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/POSrKDr.jpg

And to be able carry it in the field, there is a built in sling attachment for the PS90....

https://i.imgur.com/DM3lTgV.jpg
View Quote
Nice case!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top