Site Notices
Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That does not look good....
View Quote
Yeah I think not being there would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Perhaps the 9th Circuit Judge in Hawaii can save them with a well timed ruling.
View Quote
Ban lava flows for the homeowners
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Thursday, May 3, 2018, 10:13 PM HST
The eruption in the Leilani Estates subdivision in the lower East Rift Zone of Klauea Volcano that began in late afternoon ended by about 6:30 p.m. HST. Lava spatter and gas bursts erupted from the fissure for about two hours, and lava spread a short distance from the fissure, less than about 10 m (33 ft).

At this time, the fissure is not erupting lava and no other fissures have erupted.

HVO geologists are working near the fissure overnight to track additional activity that may occur, and other scientists are closely tracking the volcano's overall activity.

Hazard Analysis

The opening phases of fissure eruptions are dynamic and uncertain. Additional erupting fissures and new lava outbreaks may occur. It is not possible at this time to say when and where new vents may occur.

Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. At this time, the general area of the Leilani subdivision appears at greatest risk.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I was there in Sept. last year.  The geologists on site at the observatory were sure we'd see some action this year.

Here we go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts
Volcanic Eruption in Lower Puna District Message for Friday May 4 at 4:20 AM

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms the volcanic eruption continues in Leilani Subdivision in the Puna District.

Active volcanic vents are erupting on Makamae and Mohala Streets, all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivision residents are ordered to evacuate immediately.

Google maps link to the area.
link
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Well damn, how far is this from Pahoa, HI?  It looks like exactly where I was just looking at 2 houses in Leilani Estates.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't waste a virgin, use the other two chumps posted above and add Mueller and Hillary for spice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time to toss a virgin into the volcano.
Don't waste a virgin, use the other two chumps posted above and add Mueller and Hillary for spice.
You trying to piss Pele off?

Because that's how you end up with a pissed off Volcano God!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcVWF8hVQAAMmlx.jpg
View Quote
shit, I guess I can cross those houses off the list.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well damn, how far is this from Pahoa, HI?  It looks like exactly where I was just looking at 2 houses in Leilani Estates.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well shit, I guess I can cross those houses off the list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcVWF8hVQAAMmlx.jpg
Well shit, I guess I can cross those houses off the list.
You could probably pick 'em up pretty cheap today.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw some lava risk maps some where and apparently there's a narrow band of the highest risk that runs East from Kilauea to the sea... (more precisely Pu'U O'o crater)  which goes straight through this Leilani subdivision.

So as I understand it... there was and are active lava tubes underground there, carrying lava... magma since it's still underground... to the sea.  One or more of those tubes broke open to the surface creating a rift and spewing lava out onto the surface.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No difference than those who get beat up by hurricanes every years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would buy a home close enough to a volcano that a lava flow through the neighborhood is a realistic possibility?
No difference than those who get beat up by hurricanes every years.
Or tornadoes...
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who would buy a home close enough to a volcano that a lava flow through the neighborhood is a realistic possibility?
View Quote
I've often wondered something similar about people that live very near the beach.  "You've built a home in a zone that nature resets to zero periodically.  WTF?"

That said, we visited Costa Rica on our honeymoon.  One of the big attractions was the Arenal volcano.  We checked it out.  After lying dormant for a long time it blew in 1968, killed a bunch of people and erased a few villages.  Apparently the hills around Arenal are the big "second vacation home" spot for CR.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was in CA for a 5.6. It hit while I was cooking dinner. I kept cooking dinner. Things rattled, but nothing fell. 5.0 is not a big deal.
View Quote
By itself yes, a 5.0 is not a big deal, but add a volcano in the mix and the situation can get sporty in a hurry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Have they blamed this on Trump/Russian collusion yet? Americans for not buying hybrids? Too many unspayed kittens?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I suspect this area may have been built before there was an understanding of where the magma was flowing underground.  From the surface this looks ... far away from the active volcanic craters that belch lava from time to time.  One would think any lava coming out of those craters would flow down hill to the sea and not parallel to the ocean to reach here.  But there are lava tubes underground... which pass right under this area.

So one of these tubes split open to the surface... cutting across the road right at someones driveway...

There may have been no magma flowing in these tubes until the recent 5.0 quake broke something loose and sent a large volume flowing.  Apparently the lava lake level in one of Kilauea's craters dropped significantly.
"the lava lake level has dropped about 37 m (121 ft) in the past 24 hours."
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
There's a big crack on one side of the island. Maybe it'll slide into the ocean talking out Cali

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a haole. Native Hawaiians hate haoles, discriminate against them, keep them out of government jobs, etc. No reason for me to give a fuck now. I don't care that their island is shaking and baking, they can deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time to toss a virgin into the volcano.
I don’t think Pele’ will be appeased by tossing in whores
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Climate change REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Climate change REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
View Quote
Ban Volcanoes!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was in CA for a 5.6. It hit while I was cooking dinner. I kept cooking dinner. Things rattled, but nothing fell. 5.0 is not a big deal.
View Quote
Well, I guess it's a big deal if it causes the earth to spring a leak.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I left the Big island for good 4 years ago. This does not really look like a big deal. That side of the island is no stranger to lava flows and volcanic activity.  The damned pu'u'o'o vent has been spewing crap for the last 30 years Probably loose a few houses but all of those houses out there are pretty much on catchment water systems and it is a pretty rural area.

Nothing to worry about if you are traveling there. Might actually be a nice addition because you will be able to see the lava flow up close. When people hear volcanic eruption they think Mt. St. Helens but what is going on in Hawaii is a little less dramatic.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
By itself yes, a 5.0 is not a big deal, but add a volcano in the mix and the situation can get sporty in a hurry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It also totally depends on your location relative to the epicenter.  If you are on top of a 5.6.  you will get jolted good, chimneys could fall, stores will have to clean up their aisles.  The further away the more rolling it will be.  heck the 5.9 whittier narrows quake which was directly under a population killed 8 and caused 300mil in damage.

but when the 5.0 is because a giant pool of lava decided to start moving around.. as PorchDog said... sportiness is abound!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I left the Big island for good 4 years ago. This does not really look like a big deal. That side of the island is no stranger to lava flows and volcanic activity.  The damned pu'u'o'o vent has been spewing crap for the last 30 years Probably loose a few houses but all of those houses out there are pretty much on catchment water systems and it is a pretty rural area.

Nothing to worry about if you are traveling there. Might actually be a nice addition because you will be able to see the lava flow up close. When people hear volcanic eruption they think Mt. St. Helens but what is going on in Hawaii is a little less dramatic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I suspect this area may have been built before there was an understanding of where the magma was flowing underground.  From the surface this looks ... far away from the active volcanic craters that belch lava from time to time.  One would think any lava coming out of those craters would flow down hill to the sea and not parallel to the ocean to reach here.  But there are lava tubes underground... which pass right under this area.

So one of these tubes split open to the surface... cutting across the road right at someones driveway...

There may have been no magma flowing in these tubes until the recent 5.0 quake broke something loose and sent a large volume flowing.  Apparently the lava lake level in one of Kilauea's craters dropped significantly.
"the lava lake level has dropped about 37 m (121 ft) in the past 24 hours."
View Quote
-
No really a existing network of lava tubes, Hawaii volcanoes are shield type and have the main craters and rift zones (faults). Lava from the main vent is always seeping/working its way through the faults and sometimes breaks through the surface.  These houses are directly on the rift zone ( as evidenced by the numerous old rift craters around them).  
Big earthquake was most likely a result of the collapsing magma chamber of Pu?u ?O?o  as magma emptied through the new vent
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Iirc Kileaua has traditionally been very mild mannered, eruptions normally more a tourist attraction than destructive. I was a tourist there in 1986. The Puu Oo vent had not been open long, but generally lava flows ran southwest of the crater. But of a surprise to find that Pele still has a temper & a few tricks to play!
When I was there, we hiked over a years' old lava field that was about 50' thick, saw where the road ended at the flow, etc.
Hope people are all safe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

-
No really a existing network of lava tubes, Hawaii volcanoes are shield type and have the main craters and rift zones (faults). Lava from the main vent is always seeping/working its way through the faults and sometimes breaks through the surface.  These houses are directly on the rift zone ( as evidenced by the numerous old rift craters around them).  
Big earthquake was most likely a result of the collapsing magma chamber of Pu?u ?O?o  as magma emptied through the new vent
View Quote
cool.  I have a very rudimentary understanding of these things so appreciate when someone with a better understanding has a more accurate interpretation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
My wife and I were there a few years ago when they had a new flow go through the neighborhood that got wiped out about 15 years ago.   Drove the rental jeep to the end of the road,  got out and walked about 100 yards to see lava flowing across the ground.   Coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I feel for the folks that have and will lose their homes but why in the blue fuck would you buy on the south east end of the island.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Friday, May 4, 2018, 7:45 AM HST
Summary: An eruption is in progress along Klauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone. Since late afternoon May 3, at least three small fissure vents have opened in Leilani Estates subdivision in the lower Puna district. At this time, activity consists mostly of vigorous lava spattering. Additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop.

Photos and maps of activity will be posted to the HVO web site as they become available. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Friday, May 4, 2018, 7:45 AM HST
Summary: An eruption is in progress along Klauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone. Since late afternoon May 3, at least three small fissure vents have opened in Leilani Estates subdivision in the lower Puna district. At this time, activity consists mostly of vigorous lava spattering. Additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop.

Photos and maps of activity will be posted to the HVO web site as they become available. https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html
View Quote
That doesn't sound good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
They just had a 5.6 just now
Civil defense just reported
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the update.

Here's a link.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-earthquake-today-5-6-magnitude-big-island-kilauea-volcano-eruption-continues-live-updates-2018-05-04/
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the update.

Here's a link.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-earthquake-today-5-6-magnitude-big-island-kilauea-volcano-eruption-continues-live-updates-2018-05-04/
Dam that’s fast!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe they should put "Lava Free Zone" signs all over the slopes. That'll stop the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#38]
What are the odds it's going to blow? Like total eruption.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I typed mine with my phone while having lunch as soon as I heard our civil defense interrupt the radio station.

And it hit the interwebs that quickly?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
blow like St. Helens?  Like large ash plume?  0%

Hawaii has moderately quick flowing liquidy lava that spreads over ground at about a walking pace.  Sometimes it'll splash up into the air a bit and fall back down... but we're talking tens or maybe 100s of feet not thousands like ring of fire volcanoes.

Since the Lava lake in the crater at the peak is dropping it's unlikely there will be any flows coming out of that location...

But these fissures opening up could have large amounts of lava spew forth.  That would be the worst case scenario right now... if the fissures continued to erupt lava and cover the neighborhood.  And that has a decent chance of happening.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe they should put "Lava Free Zone" signs all over the slopes. That'll stop the whole thing.
View Quote
There are actually signs on the road as you enter volcano park that you are entering a fault zone...

You know.. Keep an eye out for the earth opening up and stuff
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hawaii has moderately quick flowing liquidy lava that spreads over ground at about a walking pace.  Sometimes it'll splash up into the air a bit and fall back down... but we're talking tens or maybe 100s of feet not thousands like ring of fire volcanoes.

Since the Lava lake in the crater at the peak is dropping it's unlikely there will be any flows coming out of that location...

But these fissures opening up could have large amounts of lava spew forth.  That would be the worst case scenario right now... if the fissures continued to erupt lava and cover the neighborhood.  And that has a decent chance of happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... until Mother Nature says "you're not the boss of me" and decides to turn loose with a real ripsnorter.    
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#45]
original source

Steaming cracks at 5:57 a.m. HST in Leilani Estates subdivision, moments before a fissure opened up on Kaupili Street.

original source

A new lava fissure commenced around 1:00 am HST on Kilauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone on Makamae and Leilani Streets in the Leilani Estates subdivision. Spatter was being thrown roughly 30 m (about 100 ft) high at the time of this photo. Copious amounts of sulfur dioxide gas, which should be avoided, is emitted from active fissures. The eruption is dynamic and changes could occur with little warning.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It also totally depends on your location relative to the epicenter.  If you are on top of a 5.6.  you will get jolted good, chimneys could fall, stores will have to clean up their aisles.  The further away the more rolling it will be.  heck the 5.9 whittier narrows quake which was directly under a population killed 8 and caused 300mil in damage.

but when the 5.0 is because a giant pool of lava decided to start moving around.. as PorchDog said... sportiness is abound!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5.6 I felt was right under me. I was living in a cabin in the woods that was within 30 meters of the fault trace of the San Andreas. The USGS's estimated line was drawn right under my bedroom.

I felt a few others while I was there, but they were all just very gentle, slow rolling. The 5.6 I felt was fast, loud shaking, but it was already over in the time it took me to go wide-eyed and think Oh, shit! to myself. (My girlfriend was there, so I didn't want to act scared.)

The explanation I read is that earthquakes generate wave motion along a spectrum of wavelengths. It's like music: the farther you get from the sound, the more you only hear the bass (long wavelengths that travel better). The closer you are, the more you hear the bass, midrange, and treble. If you're feeling the fast shaking and everything's rattling like crazy, you're close to the origin.

It was cool to have that up close and personal experience of plate tectonics on a strike-slip fault, but now that I'm a family man, I'm glad to be back in a place that's not prone to natural disaster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Just had another longer lasting quake.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wonder why it looks so dark? It's 12:30pm here. Smoke I guess?
View Quote
because they're from nearly 6am and 1am Hawaii time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just had another longer lasting quake.
View Quote
Wow.

Stay safe guys.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top