Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Five, actually: Kohala, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Hualalai, and Kilauea

Only the last one is active..... currently.
View Quote
The other four on the big island and the smaller islands have all moved off the hot spot and gone cold. As the plate floats generally NW, the hot spot stays in the same general spot and the island grows SE. Again, only generally, it's not a perfectly straight line.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
with all this geothermal Hawaii Island still imports lots of oil to make electricity (43 percent,) makes you think that Obummer really cares about the environment.
it still could be used to boil water to make cheap pure water from sea water if nothing else.
my thoughts are they should have been close to 100 percent for years now
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/clean-energy-hawaii/clean-energy-facts/about-our-fuel-mix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Iceland

"Five major geothermal power plants exist in Iceland, which produce approximately 26.2% (2010)[2] of the nation's electricity. In addition, geothermal heating meets the heating and hot water requirements of approximately 87% of all buildings in Iceland. Apart from geothermal energy, 73.8% of the nation’s electricity is generated by hydro power,[3] and 0.1% from fossil fuels."
View Quote
First off, FBHO hasn't had any interest in Hawaii since he can no longer take Christmas vacations here on the taxpayer dime.

Geothermal has an interesting history here as initial efforts were protested by native Hawaiians since the considered it a desecration of Pele.  Things are changing now that one of the protest leaders is on the payroll of one of the geothermal companies.  Only the Big Island has enough thermal activity to support electricity generation as far as I know.

FWIW, I work on the island of Kahoolawe and we are in the process of converting from diesel generation to solar.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The other four on the big island and the smaller islands have all moved off the hot spot and gone cold. As the plate floats generally NW, the hot spot stays in the same general spot and the island grows SE. Again, only generally, it's not a perfectly straight line.
View Quote
Pretty much but Hualalai last erupted in the early 1800s and volcano scientists think Mauna Loa may erupt again at some point. They are all considered "dormant" but not "extinct".
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that would be cool to try flying a drone over.

Some proximity flights about 20-30 feet over a flow would be cool as long as radiant heat doesnt fry the electronics/props.

Probably emergency evacuation flights and shit going on but after a few weeks when cleared out...

Dude I follow on instagram was just there doing proximity runs low to the old flows.

My parents have friends that are in line of flow, one of the two houses lost is a neighbor of theirs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Wasn't there a documents made about this a couple years ago?  I think it was called 2012
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Fissure at Leilani and Kaupili Streets in Leilani Estates subdivision at 8:07 a.m. HST today. Lava on the road was approximately 2 m (about 2 yd) thick.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pretty much but Hualalai last erupted in the early 1800s and volcano scientists think Mauna Loa may erupt again at some point. They are all considered "dormant" but not "extinct".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hot spot moves some, too. As long as the big island is still a mass, the hot spot could move and the lava path could theoretically breakout anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The hot spot moves some, too. As long as the big island is still a mass, the hot spot could move and the lava path could theoretically breakout anywhere.
View Quote
Thanks for the additional explanation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I still live in the mountains, directly on top of the San Andreas Fault [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/imc
View Quote
His name was Beardog308 ...
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I love watching thick gooey pahoehoe with a wrinkly crust ooze out. It's so hypnotic.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a guy with a channel that's basically just stuff getting covered in pahoehoe. Can of ravioli, a can of coke. An Iphone 7. A can of spam. A TV remote. It's stupid and fascinating at the same time.

"This is retarded. Let me just watch the next one, with the can of pork and beans, and then I'll find something else."

*half hour later*

"Well, I bet the sword in pahoehoe is cool..."
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love watching thick gooey pahoehoe with a wrinkly crust ooze out. It's so hypnotic.
View Quote
I'd much rather hike on pahoehoe than a'a
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd be noid about stepping on a thin spot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, Aloha.  Mark

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck off.  You were shunned because you acted like an asshole, not because you were white.  I'm haole and live with and work with locals, including radical Hawaiian activists, for over 30 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a haole. Native Hawaiians hate haoles, discriminate against them, keep them out of government jobs, etc. No reason for me to give a fuck now. I don't care that their island is shaking and baking, they can deal with it.
Fuck off.  You were shunned because you acted like an asshole, not because you were white.  I'm haole and live with and work with locals, including radical Hawaiian activists, for over 30 years.
Any of them "Kingdom Of Hawaii" peeps?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brah, I cruise like Legolas on a snow drift.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any of them "Kingdom Of Hawaii" peeps?
View Quote
Ugh, no.  Mostly OHA board members, Malama Makua, and Protect Kahoolawe Ohana types.

I've been friends with William Aila for almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a huge difference once it's cooled.  Pahoehoe is still pretty smooth and looks freaking awesome once cooled.  More runny when hot and cools smoothly and slowly.  A'a is a fucking bastard to walk on since it hardens to big chunky bullshit that sucks to walk on and is sharp as hell in spots.  Basically easy to get hurt decently if you aren't paying attention.  Denser but cools faster on the surface but hot as fuck in the middle, so it's always chipping/breaking as it flows and cools making it jagged as hell.

Between Volcano and Pahala you can see both depending on where you go.  But I did a lot of driving when I lived there.  Some days I really miss it, a lot of good people, fantastic food, etc.  Never did get a chance to meet any of the local arfcom guys though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#21]
http://www.kitv.com/story/38109291/big-islands-kilauea-volcanic-eruption-destroys-two-homes

Magno, Hawaii County Civil Defense Administrator, has confirmed that two structures have been destroyed by lava from the Kilauea eruptions.

The Hawaii County Civil Defense reports that there are no injuries at this time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Pele is smiling.

Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island smiles as it erupts
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I went through a 6.9 quake in the Big Hole Valley in MT some years ago. I just happened to be looking in the right direction to see a series of waves cross the valley floor. Looked exactly like rollers in the ocean coming right for us. Bigger and faster though.

That was the Borah Peak Quake. Kilt two kids walking to school in Challis, ID. It was a pretty exciting morning there in Wisdom, MT.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
6.9 is a heck of a shake.

Hopefully everything turns out ok and this isn't a harbinger of worse things to come.

Planning a return trip to the big island in the near future, hopefully this won't put a damper on our plans. Place is paradise minus some of the people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
592 earthquakes in the past 7 days
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, that's crazy.

135 in past 24 hours per usgs. And climbing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Time to toss a virgin into the volcano.
View Quote
Pele has been angered! Virgins wont cut it. It's time to throw the 9th circuit judges into the volcano.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Pele and Manbearpig have teamed up to punish mankind for global warming.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That is exactly the same size as the world series (Loma Prieta) earthquake.

View Quote
That's decent,  I lived 17 miles from the epicenter of that one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck Hawaii.

Passed through there one time in 1968.

No interest in ever returning.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just look for the weeds and shit growing out of the cracks,   no weeds,  shit's new.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuck Hawaii.

Passed through there one time in 1968.

No interest in ever returning.

View Quote
LOL.  No one here missed you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#36]
So is this just a slow pressure release or is it going to blow ?

Volcano Eruption in Papua New Guinea
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So is this just a slow pressure release or is it going to blow ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUREX8aFbMs
View Quote
Hawaii volcanoes don't blow, mostly ooze.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]
According to Dutchsinse, this is virtually an exact replay of the events leading up to the 2011 japan quake.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
The Leilani Estates HOA really needs to do something about this!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
According to Dutchsinse, this is virtually an exact replay of the events leading up to the 2011 japan quake.
View Quote
Except for the differences, they are exactly the same.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Leilani Estates HOA really needs to do something about this!
View Quote
This literally made me LOL
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Not knowing much about the Hawaiian Islands, is the island sparsely  populated?  Seems a 6.9 would cause considerable structural damage across the entire island.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not knowing much about the Hawaiian Islands, is the island sparsely  populated?  Seems a 6.9 would cause considerable structural damage across the entire island.
View Quote
The big island is very sparsely populated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
The island of Hawaii is bigger than Rhode Island and Delaware and pretty close to the size of Connecticut.  With a population of around 187k,  it is far less populous compared to Connecticut at 3.5m, Rhode Island at 1 million and Delaware at 900k.

Earthquakes here tend to be of short duration and cause little damage.

ETA:  Good question!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yea, that's crazy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea, that's crazy.

Up to 157!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The island of Hawaii is bigger than Rhode Island and Delaware and pretty close to the size of Connecticut.  With a population of around 187k,  it is far less populous compared to Connecticut at 3.5m, Rhode Island at 1 million and Delaware at 900k.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the epicenter of the quake is a ways away from the two population centers of the Big Island (Hilo and Kona). Big island has pretty much no urban core to speak of.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Cool ash shit
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Eruptive area showing recent fissures in Leilani Estates subdivision when photo was taken at 12:07 p.m. HST. Fissure 5 is shown in the forefront.

Update to my area map.

Still trying to nail down exact locations for the other fissures.

Trying to spot clues in this video as to where this fissure is on Kaupili St.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-1954.mp4
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#49]
video in this tweet enabled me to update the map.

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#50]
6.9 is getting with the program
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top