Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to Dutchsinse, this is virtually an exact replay of the events leading up to the 2011 japan quake.
View Quote
That was a crazy ass live thread on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That was a crazy ass live thread on ARFCOM. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif
View Quote
It was really bad seeing everything.  Now for the Nankai Trough and or the CSZ.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
an Hawaii News Now image that has 2 fissures I haven't been able to precisely place yet.  #4 and #6

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a crazy ass live thread on ARFCOM. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif
It was really bad. I'll never forget the original live feed from the helicopter showing the Tsunami coming in from the sea. Brutal. That was better than an hour before anybody in the US media was showing what was really happening.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or just safely go out a couple hundred yards into the water.
View Quote
a couple hundred yards? you think that would have saved anyone in Indonesia or japan?
the day I start taking tsunami prep advice from a guy from Nevada, I should probably re-evaluate a lot of my decision making in life
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Had to look up Quezon.

Philippines
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to Dutchsinse, this is virtually an exact replay of the events leading up to the 2011 japan quake.
View Quote
Except this is a hot spot and not a subduction zone, so pretty different geology involved.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Had to look up Quezon.

Philippines
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#10]
What is that from?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Morning Sitrep?

Has Hawaii broken off and slid into the Pacific?

Has the liquid hot magma consumed everything in its path?

Has Hawaii tipped over?

Have any cones been destroyed?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Whats the big deal... isnt hawaii one big island volcano.  Its probly gonna have some shaking anyway.  I did some looking and hawaii gets more land from lava so i bet them realators are chomping at their bits to sell more lots.
I do hope everyone is in safety
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
A 6.9 will spoil your morning.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A 6.9 will spoil your morning.
View Quote
It spoiled a lot of people's day..... all the wine and liquor was shaken off the shelves at the nearby Foodland.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Call McGarrett and Dano. They'll fix everything in 43 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#17]
How many air tanker passes to seal the fissures?  How long till the pressure builds and pops?  You know airplane on treadmill thinking and all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#18]
made an album
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My daughter was at Volcano Nat Park yesterday afternoon and just got home this afternoon. I texted her and told her I'm glad she's home safe in the Cascadia Subduction Zone.
View Quote
lol.

sorry but that was kinda funny but also not funny at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
made an album
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#21]
someone put my estimates into google maps somehow.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=18-_4wyDldSaAfhsVoU1Cqp94HfUDwQ3f&ll=19.467244686831144%2C-154.89915309999998&z=16

Edit:
I've been given edit powers on it.  Yay!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
On a plus side. It's an election year.  I'm sure all the politicians will want to be seen/heard helping the cause.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except for the differences, they are exactly the same.
View Quote
This is why I should never type a  quickie right before leaving. No time to copyedit my own inanity.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Except this is a hot spot and not a subduction zone, so pretty different geology involved.
View Quote
No, a few weeks before the Japan quake, this same thing happaned in HI, the Pu'u O'o crater collapsed and drained, then Kilauea crater collapsed and drained. The Dutchsinse guy is heavy. Appears to be legit. It's the same Pacific plate.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#25]
5/04/2018 -- Major M6.9 earthquake strikes Hawaii -- Unrest Spreading - HAVE A PLAN + BE PREPARED
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

or a lot of politicians.
View Quote
If its a virgin then they're fucked for sure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#27]
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Saturday, May 5, 2018, 11:54 AM HST
Active eruption of lava and gas continues along Klauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone within the Leilani Estates subdivision. Additional fissure vents producing spatter and small lava flows developed early this morning, and additional outbreaks in the area are likely. Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop. There is no active lava in the Puu  area. Aftershocks from yesterday's M6.9 earthquake continue and more should be expected, with larger aftershocks potentially producing rockfalls and associated ash clouds above Puu  and Halemaumau Crater.

Seismicity remains elevated at Puu  but tiltmeters near the cone show no significant deformation overnight. No lava is active in the area and the 61g lava flow is no longer being fed. The summit crater of the cone will likely continue to collapse intermittently producing small plumes of ash. Yesterday, there were several vigorous episodes of ash emission in response to collapse, including immediately after the nearby M6.9 earthquake.

More at link... I pulled out and bolded what I thought was relevant.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts

This is a Civil Defense update for Saturday May 5, 2018 at 12:00 Noon

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and field units confirm that the volcanic eruption activities continue in Leilani Subdivision.  At this time eruptive activity is increasing and is expected to continue.

I'm continuing to update the map and add images to the album.  Such as:

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and field units confirm that the volcanic eruption activities continue in Leilani Subdivision.  At this time eruptive activity is increasing and is expected to continue.

https://i.imgur.com/s3lFmwd.jpg
View Quote
Amazing pic.

Hopefully those houses made it ok.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#30]
poor animals, at least people can move. exciting nones the less
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, Mother Nature be scary.  Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Amazing pic.

View Quote
at least 1 didn't.  The center of that rift where the lava fountains are used to be a white house...
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
with all this geothermal Hawaii Island still imports lots of oil to make electricity (43 percent,) makes you think that Obummer really cares about the environment.
it still could be used to boil water to make cheap pure water from sea water if nothing else.
my thoughts are they should have been close to 100 percent for years now
https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/clean-energy-hawaii/clean-energy-facts/about-our-fuel-mix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Iceland

"Five major geothermal power plants exist in Iceland, which produce approximately 26.2% (2010)[2] of the nation's electricity. In addition, geothermal heating meets the heating and hot water requirements of approximately 87% of all buildings in Iceland. Apart from geothermal energy, 73.8% of the nation’s electricity is generated by hydro power,[3] and 0.1% from fossil fuels."
View Quote
Iceland is powered by geothermal energy. Every building has two water service lines. One is hot and you can take a scalding hot shower for as long as you want. The hot will never run out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
at least 1 didn't.  The center of that rift where the lava fountains are used to be a white house...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing pic.

there were at least 2 houses there, that intersection is Leilani Ave & Makamae St
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

there were at least 2 houses there, that intersection is Leilani Ave & Makamae St
View Quote
There's only 1 that the fissure in that image goes straight through.  There are many more houses around there... but only one is definitely gone in that image.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It spoiled a lot of people's day..... all the wine and liquor was shaken off the shelves at the nearby Foodland.
View Quote
Is the Spam okay?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I just confirmed with my daughter. She took a lava rock home from the Nat Park Thursday morning. I told her this is all her fault.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just confirmed with my daughter. She took a lava rock home from the Nat Park Thursday morning. I told her this is all her fault.
View Quote
did you tell her she needs to bring it back? I saw a documentary about taking things you shouldn't and the wrath of tropical island gods, it was called Moana.

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
did you tell her she needs to bring it back? I saw a documentary about taking things you shouldn't and the wrath of tropical island gods, it was called Moana.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/74/69/e7/7469e75ca3675a68a27947f20093cd22.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/74/69/e7/7469e75ca3675a68a27947f20093cd22.jpg
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is the Spam okay?
View Quote
I learned from Ricky Skaggs that you Can't Hurt Spam.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There's only 1 that the fissure in that image goes straight through.  There are many more houses around there... but only one is definitely gone in that image.
View Quote
Local news is reporting 5 homes destroyed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Local news is reporting 5 homes destroyed.
View Quote
yep. Houses are being destroyed. I can identify with confidence 2... maybe 3... which had fissures go right through them.  There are a bunch of houses that are more... lava adjacent where I'd be guessing which ones have been destroyed now or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think she needs to mail that shit back.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#44]
He starts right off with HI in this, live from two hours ago. Good explanation of the 2011 parallels.
5/05/2018 -- Pacific "Large Earthquake" threat present -- Increase in Volcanism - BE PREPARED
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#45]
This dutchsinse guy is alright. I loike heem, mang.

He's Arfcom, even if he doesn't know it.

He seems to know his shit in the seismology and volcanology areas, too. This is a great channel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I've never met a really libtarded geologist. It seems to attract good people with a grounding in reality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've never met a really libtarded geologist. It seems to attract good people with a grounding in reality.
View Quote
Well grounded, the salt of the earth, rock steady, faultless....
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:44:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
fuck, that’s looks like an end of the world Hollywood movie, but unfortunately it’s not
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#49]
A new fissure erupted this evening near fissures 2 and 7, beginning with small lava spattering at about 8:44 p.m. HST. By 9:00 p.m., lava fountains as high as about 70 m (230 ft) were erupting from the fissure.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A new fissure erupted this evening near fissures 2 and 7, beginning with small lava spattering at about 8:44 p.m. HST. By 9:00 p.m., lava fountains as high as about 70 m (230 ft) were erupting from the fissure.

https://i.imgur.com/smG6yTc.jpg
View Quote
Fuck that I'll stick to my chocolate fountains at old country buffet.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top