Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!

Was just there last October.

At the edge looking down into the caldera with the volcano mouth (if that's what you call it) in the distance.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
So is it a SHTF situation over there?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well grounded, the salt of the earth, rock steady, faultless....
View Quote

Feet firmly planted, build their house on rock, hammer time...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So is it a SHTF situation over there?
View Quote
not right now, though the size of the earthquakes suggest there is a lot of magma moving around. Small but real chance of things getting very interesting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
What are the the chances anyone ever gets to move back to Leilani Estates? Is that whole neighborhood going to be a loss? That's the impression I get. I mean, if the venting of sulfuric acid anhydride and lava goes on for months or years, it's gonna be pretty much a wipe, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are the the chances anyone ever gets to move back to Leilani Estates? Is that whole neighborhood going to be a loss? That's the impression I get. I mean, if the venting of sulfuric acid anhydride and lava goes on for months or years, it's gonna be pretty much a wipe, isn't it?
View Quote
Back in the nineties, I worked at a place called Chemco Industries LLC in Topeka. I kept a 90$ SKS there. In six months, just the low levels of acid gas turned it fucking dark orange. I still have it and it works, but it would probably bring 25$ at a garage sale, because it looks like some ME tribesman stored it under his goat pen for ten years. Gas vapor works 24/7, I'm here to testify. Cardboard boxes and anything else made of cellulose turns to friable crumbles, wood, cotton, linen, etc., paint goes wonky. Shit looks fine until you get close, and then you notice it's all upgefucht chemically.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Back in the nineties, I worked at a place called Chemco Industries LLC in Topeka. I kept a 90$ SKS there. In six months, just the low levels of acid gas turned it fucking dark orange. I still have it and it works, but it would probably bring 25$ at a garage sale, because it looks like some ME tribesman stored it under his goat pen for ten years. Gas vapor works 24/7, I'm here to testify. Cardboard boxes and anything else made of cellulose turns to friable crumbles, wood, cotton, linen, etc., paint goes wonky. Shit looks fine until you get close, and then you notice it's all upgefucht chemically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sell it for $250 with the ME goat pen story
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you don't own the mineral rights and the minerals come out of the ground and cover what you own do you still own anything?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sell it for $250 with the ME goat pen story
View Quote
Heh.

I got ketchup and relish gas wounds back in the Great War...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you don't own the mineral rights and the minerals come out of the ground and cover what you own do you still own anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems as if someone should have drawed a line from Kilauea to Pu'u O'o to the sea, and said, "You know what, why don't we not put a residential housing dev't here, what with this seeming like the logical path for lava to go?" but I'm not an MBA, so...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Hawaii will rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It seems as if someone should have drawed a line from Kilauea to Pu'u O'o to the sea, and said, "You know what, why don't we not put a residential housing dev't here, what with this seeming like the logical path for lava to go?" but I'm not an MBA, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like the side of the mountain is opening up. I don't think this is flowing lava.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
US GS finally put out a useful... if slightly outdated map.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
If someone did that... this area wouldn't be in the threat zone shown by such a line.  This area is behind a ridge 25 miles from Kilauea and about 14 miles from Pu'u O'o.  No one looking at those craters would expect the lava to flow over to this area.  And it hasn't.

The lava is coming up through fissures directly beneath the houses.  It's nearly impossible to predict exactly where fissures will occur.

More advanced analysis revealed that there are old rifts toward the the sea from this area.  One might expect if more fissures were to open that they'd do it over there and flow to the sea... away from the houses... That clearly was wrong as evidenced by the events of the past few days.  We also don't know when this area was built and when the threat of fissures opening in this area was identified.

What I'm saying here is that is was not obvious that these houses were in a very hazardous area.  Don't let 20 20 hindsight color your perception of the people who built there.  If you were expecting lava to come out of the volcano and have to flow over land to get to you... this would have been a pretty safe place to build.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a Civil Defense update for Sunday May 6, 2018 at 8:15 AM.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirms 2 more fissures emerged between Leilani and Malama Street near Luana and Kupono Street last night, bringing the total number of fissures to 9 at this time. Active venting of lava and hazardous fumes continues between Mohala and Pomaika’i Street.

It is confirmed that at this time, at least 9 homes have been destroyed.

Due to the eruption, the following are issued:

Conditions permitting, Leilani Estates residents with property between Highway 130 and Maile Street will be allowed to enter the subdivision to complete evacuation of pets, medicine, and vital documents left behind between the hours of 8 AM to 6 PM.
Residents should retrieve their items expeditiously so others may go in after them.
Be aware of the very unstable conditions of air quality and of the roads.  You will be required to leave the area if conditions become hazardous.
Residents will be required to provide identification and proof of residency in Leilani Subdivision.  Primary Police checkpoint is established at Highway 130 and 132. A secondary checkpoint is at Highway 130 and Leilani Street.
Leilani residents entering must be on the alert for elevated levels of Sulfur Dioxide, wildfire, and volcanic eruption. People with respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.
No access is allowed at this time for residents of Lanipuna Gardens due to dangerous volcanic gases.
Please, the residents of Leilani need your help by staying out of the area. This is not the time for sightseeing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
They were interviewing people that were stunned that lava would flow under ground and pop up under their house. Living on a Volcano and they are shocked this would happen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They were interviewing people that were stunned that lava would flow under ground and pop up under their house. Living on a Volcano and they are shocked this would happen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I've updated my map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=18-_4wyDldSaAfhsVoU1Cqp94HfUDwQ3f&ll=19.46078516768582%2C-154.9130400590592&z=16

I used the US GS map I posted above and this video which I had to break my rule of not going to facebook... to view.

https://www.facebook.com/hotseathawaii/videos/916620291841470/
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an old HS Classmate that's there doing relief work.  He is posting some amazing photos!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Some screen captures from that video.

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
So 9 houses have burned on a volcano island with millions of people? How is this news?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So 9 houses have burned on a volcano island with millions of people? How is this news?
View Quote
9 houses have been buried by lava that emerged from fissures which opened up directly under them on a volcano island with about 186,000 people...  And the pictures are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The states geological people were probably asleep on this one. Ground penetrating radar would have showed the buildup under the houses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, it doesn't happen all that often. Why is an armed robbery at the 7-11 down the street news?

To the geologists/smart people in this thread: is there any reasonable chance that the "Hilina Slump" will slide into the sea and send a big ass tsunami across the Pacific?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#26]
The US GS maps like this aren't great for pin pointing where the lava is...  But it does show potential flow routes...

I'm thinking if and or when these fissures really start flowing out lava in earnest that it'll flow north (away from the closest shore) and then north east to the ocean.

The fissures are opening from east to west... but the few that have had small flows come out of them have flowed north as seen in those screen shots I posted.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, it doesn't happen all that often. Why is an armed robbery at the 7-11 down the street news?

To the geologists/smart people in this thread: is there any reasonable chance that the "Hilina Slump" will slide into the sea and send a big ass tsunami across the Pacific?
View Quote
Looked up the "Hilina Slump" ... and this basically is that area.  The magma draining out of Kilauea's craters and into to the rift zone... and then up out of the newly created rifts has shifted the whole south flank of the island about half a yard toward the ocean and did create a small local Tsunami. However I'm not seeing any talk of the side of the island sloughing off into sea and creating a mega Tsunami yet...
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Volcanologist says there is 'No slowdown' for Hawaii eruption - Daily Mail

Volcano continues to spew lava on Hawaii's Big Island
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The US GS maps like this aren't great for pin pointing where the lava is...  But it does show potential flow routes...

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/maps_uploads/image-413.jpg

I'm thinking if and or when these fissures really start flowing out lava in earnest that it'll flow north (away from the closest shore) and then north east to the ocean.

The fissures are opening from east to west... but the few that have had small flows come out of them have flowed north as seen in those screen shots I posted.
View Quote
My money is downhill
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Kilauea volcano eruption: Watch incredible footage of lava lake
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]
what it looks like now.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/webcam.html?webcam=HMcam

lava lake surface is hundreds of feet below where it was in that video.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

what it looks like now.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/webcam.html?webcam=HMcam

lava lake surface is hundreds of feet below where it was in that video.
View Quote
Wow that dropped a lot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Volcano God is happy.

Kilauea volcano on Hawaii's Big Island smiles as it erupts
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looked up the "Hilina Slump" ... and this basically is that area.  The magma draining out of Kilauea's craters and into to the rift zone... and then up out of the newly created rifts has shifted the whole south flank of the island about half a yard toward the ocean and did create a small local Tsunami. However I'm not seeing any talk of the side of the island sloughing off into sea and creating a mega Tsunami yet...
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Half a yard in one event sounds like a lot, but I have no idea what moved and how much needs to move, and how far it needs to move. So hopefully that disaster remains a remote possibility.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
In before the homeowners file a lawsuit against the home builder for putting homes that close to the volcano, and the homeowner knew it was there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#38]
These fissures that are lined up, this "rift zone" -- does that release sufficient pressure, or does it ever occur that a large gash  (like, connecting all those fissures and more) opens up on the flank of a volcano like this and magma pours out in huge volume?  Maybe a good question would be, for the volcanologists,  what's the largest volume of magma known to have been emitted from a nonexplosive eruption?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
These fissures that are lined up, this "rift zone" -- does that release sufficient pressure, or does it ever occur that a large gash  (like, connecting all those fissures and more) opens up on the flank of a volcano like this and magma pours out in huge volume?  Maybe a good question would be, for the volcanologists,  what's the largest volume of magma known to have been emitted from a nonexplosive eruption?
View Quote
I remember reading years ago about a non explosive eruption on Iceland a few hundred years ago that pumped out several cubic miles of magma over a year or so.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember reading years ago about a non explosive eruption on Iceland a few hundred years ago that pumped out several cubic miles of magma over a year or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eastern OR and Washington are covered in Miles thick lava flows from rift type eruptions in the ancient past.  And we're not even the largest "flood basalt" area on Earth.  The largest I think is in Siberia http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/flood-basalts

but anyway... back to Hawaii

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Sunday, May 6, 2018, 12:53 PM HST

Active eruption of lava and gas continues along Klauea Volcano's lower East Rift Zone within the Leilani Estates subdivision. Since late last evening, fissure eruptions have been continuous, and a lava flow has advanced northward about 0.9 km (0.6 miles). Deflationary tilt at the summit of the volcano continues and the lava lake level continues to drop. There is no active lava in the Puu  area. Aftershocks from Friday's magnitude-6.9 earthquake continue and more should be expected, with larger aftershocks potentially producing rockfalls and associated ash clouds above Puu  and Halemaumau crater. Seismicity at Klauea's summit remains elevated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#41]
New pics.

Link
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

What’s up with the plants across the road?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
I'm more curious what the cans are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
maybe stuck there so from a distance you can better gauge how things are moving?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
offerings to the volcano...

another update:
http://www.kitv.com/story/38109291/big-islands-kilauea-volcanic-eruption-destroys-two-homes

According to the Hawaii County Fire Department, a total of 21 homes have been damaged by lava fissure eruptions within the Leilani Estates subdivision.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The states geological people were probably asleep on this one. Ground penetrating radar would have showed the buildup under the houses.
View Quote
Nothing in these statements is remotely accurate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Time to toss a virgin into the volcano.
View Quote
A noble end for incels?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A thermal look at the gateway to hell.
View Quote
Suicide cliff. Feel no pain.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top