BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Checking in from east TN! Never thought I would ever see anything like this without traveling above the arctic circle. Starlink is what caught my attention. Tight string if ~20 sats that must have just recently been launched. Haven’t seen a string in 4 years. Reviewing the pics made me WTF then I remembered the X class flares thread. It continued to grow in magnitude until we could see bands/rays and color differentiation with the naked eye. Could see them move, pulse, and wave as if they were ribbons in front of your face. The scale is hard to comprehend. It’s no wonder the aurora is surrounded by myth and legend. It’s absolutely astonishing. These pics are 5 second exposures from an iPhone 14 off a tripod. Real life colors were not nearly as vibrant. Incredibly impressive and awe inspiring to the naked eye nonetheless. Cowboy camping with some friends, hoping it flares up again. Also have seen a half dozen or so meteors tonight.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Mostly green here...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing visible in mid-AZ at 34 degrees north, even with night vision. I'm jealous of y'all!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Where the heck are you? Prescott area here and not seeing anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My 8 year old twins and I, and about 10-15 other people, were in a gravel parking lot across the street from a large lake, all looking at the aurora.

Every now and then a car would drive by. Usually not a big deal.

Then some asshole in a big lifted diesel truck decided to roll coal on us as he drove by. What a dickhead. Totally ruined the experience.

A few minutes later, someone driving by managed to pop a tire or something, and parked on the side of the road to change it. They left their high beams on, pointed straight at everyone in the parking lot, totally ruining our night vision. What is it with some people these days?

My kids and I drove off to another small quiet neighborhood still under constructions. Mostly dark, just a few street lamps. Much better experience. Still looking through photos.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The alerts came straight from NOAA. They haven’t been wrong yet.
View Quote

That was from the the X5.89 earlier. The system reports on the maximum X-ray flux from the past 2 hours. As it tapers down, the max number gets smaller and smaller. Still part of the same event though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got this one. Was a little shake holing the camera for the 6 seconds night mode requires, so it's a tad grainy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Friend of mine 40 miles away sent me this....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
A couple more from Middle Tennessee

_IMG1175 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

_IMG1181 by Colo CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Triad area of NC. Excuse the power lines in the photos, they couldn't be avoided due to the layout of the parking lot where I was taking photos. Same with some of the houses (those houses are still under construction so I wasn't taking photos of random people's homes ). All photos were taken with my iPhone 14 Pro, Night Mode, either handheld or braced against my car. Wish I had a DLSR, but this is better than nothing.

All these photos with the houses were taken over a period of 2-3 minutes. The colors were changing so fast, it was incredible to watch through my phone's camera in realtime.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Drove north of town 5 miles out into the wheat fields and just got back. Truly underwhelmed, barely visible with the naked eye and not much better through the PVS14. You guys have posted better pics than what we see with zero cloud cover here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Walking home from the brewery, the sky just had this strawberry glow to it.  I'm in Bortle 6/7 skies, so it was faint, but I could see it, even with the street lights.

I had to duck into the back yards to get a better view of it all.  Brief as it was.

And this is what blew my mind.  I'm in the lower half of Alabama, and I'm seeing auroras ... to the south ...

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drove north of town 5 miles out into the wheat fields and just got back. Truly underwhelmed, barely visible with the naked eye and not much better through the PVS14. You guys have posted better pics than what we see with zero cloud cover here.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.

Everything I just posted was almost invisible to the naked eye. I had to enable Night Mode on my phone and hold it up to the sky to find something good to point at, and grab a photo. Seriously, I couldn't see 98% of that with just my eyes. With just my eyes I could see a barely discernible glow. I'm sure in some more northern latitudes it might have been better.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Walking home from the brewery, the sky just had this strawberry glow to it.  I'm in Bortle 6/7 skies, so it was faint, but I could see it, even with the street lights.

I had to duck into the back yards to get a better view of it all.  Brief as it was.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mWVn4GM/0/vk5K7vn68LKc3K3hJZkh8JzcP7jH2H25QT8n8VdJ/X2/i-mWVn4GM-X2.jpg

And this is what blew my mind.  I'm in the lower half of Alabama, and I'm seeing auroras ... to the south ...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DqZ5tJq/0/DbzhKqvNDwRhbzVDbPNdXTf3fXgZ2K8PRzK6dLD5x/X2/i-DqZ5tJq-X2.jpg
View Quote

Yeah I have a few photos pointing south, seeing a dull greenish-red glow. Just incredible.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I have a few photos pointing south, seeing a dull greenish-red glow. Just incredible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mWVn4GM/0/vk5K7vn68LKc3K3hJZkh8JzcP7jH2H25QT8n8VdJ/X2/i-mWVn4GM-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DqZ5tJq/0/DbzhKqvNDwRhbzVDbPNdXTf3fXgZ2K8PRzK6dLD5x/X2/i-DqZ5tJq-X2.jpg

I posted about that in the other thread.
A witness to the Carrington Event described just that from the southern hemisphere:
"The northern side from the zenith was also illuminated with beautiful colors, always curling round at the zenith, but were considered to be merely a reproduction of the southern display, as all colors south and north always corresponded."
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#19]
In North Dakota for a PRS match… crazy as most everything is waaaay to the south. But the towns light are fucking it all up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this thing done for now? I've been outside freezing for an hour and saw nothing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#21]
We got lucky and the space station flew right near the moon which had a nice rainbow of Aurora around it. Then a shooting star zipped right near the space station. Of course I missed that while trying to get a photo of the station ??. It's not in this shot but the station passed right near there.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I could see a little bit through my NV here in Kansas City.
Pretty sure it was more visible earlier and I missed the good part.

Is it still going?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I could see a little bit through my NV here in Kansas City.
Pretty sure it was more visible earlier and I missed the good part.

Is it still going?
View Quote

Yep, still going here in WI.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#25]
My first time ever seeing them.  Unfucking real, the sky just exploded with light and color

Attachment Attached File

I have a ton of shots to go through but I’m off to bed
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep, still going here in WI.
View Quote

I guess I’ll step back outside and look around again. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:31:15 AM EDT
[#27]
From down near okmulgee Oklahoma.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:33:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Fucking almost complete cloud cover right now is driving me up a wall...damn clouds need to leave RFN.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Seeing the northern lights so vividly to the south blew my mind.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Best I could get from the light pollution in town.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:41:21 AM EDT
[#31]
NWFL. Was overcast here earlier. Nothing to see.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#32]
From the phone; had the DSLR out too but haven’t downloaded those yet. Pink hues were only marginally visible to the naked eye, but the greens started getting pretty animated a few times; really cool

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could barely see anything with the naked eye here in N ID but the 10 second exposure on the camera did the trick.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Drove up to Wheatland Wyoming Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#36]
NW Oregon

Edit: Will repost. Photos had too much data on them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#38]
3 second exposure night sight on my Pixel 8. Looked incredible to the naked eye too! Straight over my house.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:11:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Right behind my house.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just got this one. Was a little shake holing the camera for the 6 seconds night mode requires, so it's a tad grainy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411079/1000014588_jpg-3211197.JPG
View Quote

It's a tad awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I just woke up and went outside too look but its overcast then I looked at my phone and seen a couple of texts from my oldest daughter. She had sent me two pics she took.  

She is a few miles from me, east of Lafayette Louisiana and a bit north of I10 at 10:44 pm Friday evening. Right at 30 degrees north latitude.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]
North east Florida.....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Shot from tampa:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#44]
What are the odss of a repeat tonight?  I know there was another X class yesterday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Where the heck are you? Prescott area here and not seeing anything like that.
View Quote

@seek2 I’m currently near the south rim by Tusayan.
I used no magic filters or editing, this is simply what the iPhone camera picked up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder how far South that sightings have been reported ?

Amazing stuff and very rare to see them in the South.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You guys suck so bad!!!

We're socked in w/clouds and rain all fucking weekend in south central PA!!!
View Quote

We were cloudy on and off last night so I went to bed. Lots of locals got pretty good pics. Seems their phones showed it better than the naked eye.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#48]

My wife and I had been watching at my parents place and got decent photos, but on the way home she was watching stuff the side and was saying how cool it was so we pulled over to watch. We went from just seeing a haze with light bands, to full on color visible to the naked eye, and pulsing and flashing ripples. I swear, looking into this one I felt like a spaceship could come popping out of warp at any second. Phone wasn't able to grab a video due to low light, but it was amazing to see.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I can see a halo on the x5.  ENLIL hasn't updated, but I bet it will be a hit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

Everything I just posted was almost invisible to the naked eye. I had to enable Night Mode on my phone and hold it up to the sky to find something good to point at, and grab a photo. Seriously, I couldn't see 98% of that with just my eyes. With just my eyes I could see a barely discernible glow. I'm sure in some more northern latitudes it might have been better.
View Quote

This was my experience as well. Took my dogs out at 1am. Lots of clouds but thought what the hell, let's let the camera see what it sees:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top