BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That's how it works.  

Booming economy = Employee's market

Recessive economy = Employer's market

I hate employer's market.  They'll lump everything that they can on you, and in most cases, you'll have to eat it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Literally months out of college with no experience, in a depressed shithole of an area who couldn't finish some of the basics of his job - very basic stuff?  He was talented in design, but following through with the final 5% of the job (detailing, BOM, shop prints) was non existent... but he's worth 6 figures?  Ok.  People like you are why people like me hate to be in business.  I barely make over 6 figures, and I destroy myself here day and night.  Try it sometime.  

I'll do it myself, it'll be done right, and I won't have to worry about it being fucked up.
View Quote
Lets be fair, that can't be laid all on him.  Piss poor management exists in a larger quantity than you realize.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
So the CEO of a healthcare company in a communist state penned a little missive outlining his dream of people begging him for work.

LOL, eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Perhaps, but with boomer retirement in full swing, the labor market has become permanently tighter.

We're at 3.6% unemployment with 11.5 million open jobs. That's 0.1% off the lowest recorded unemployment level.

US corporate management culture hasn't adjusted to the shift in the employee / employer balance of power that has occurred. Current management and HR practices are predicated on the labor glut that has persisted for the past 30+ years due to the size of the baby boom generation. Employers assume they can lowball workers on compensation and easily replace those who don't like it. That is no longer a reasonable assumption.
View Quote

Go back and look at how unemployment is measured and labor participation, 3.6 is as big a horse shit number as 8.5% inflation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lets be fair, that can't be laid all on him.  Piss poor management exists in a larger quantity than you realize.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally months out of college with no experience, in a depressed shithole of an area who couldn't finish some of the basics of his job - very basic stuff?  He was talented in design, but following through with the final 5% of the job (detailing, BOM, shop prints) was non existent... but he's worth 6 figures?  Ok.  People like you are why people like me hate to be in business.  I barely make over 6 figures, and I destroy myself here day and night.  Try it sometime.  

I'll do it myself, it'll be done right, and I won't have to worry about it being fucked up.

So he started off as a good employee but now he can’t do the basics of his job. On top of it, it was stated that he was some form of project lead? Who put him in that position, just a few months out of college while not being able to finish the basics of his job?

Again, why then was he allowed to continue without correcting the situation? Why did it take him to quit for you to find out that he didn’t know the basics, when you started to micromanage him after he told you he was leaving.

You are likely much bigger problem then you realize. I hope you take this comment and personally reflect on yourself…even if you don’t think you need to. Just do it, and see where it takes you. One of your employees was failing.. possibly.. or at the least not being able to do the basics. Take some ownership of the situation and ask yourself why. Once you have some answers fix it, and you will be surprised what happens.

This is going off of the information provided, the actual situation can be drastically different once more facts are known.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The recession didn't end in mid-2009. The job market was shit until 2012 or 2013 for entry level. Every entry level position wanted 5 years experience and all this bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Trump was right about H1B visas.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Good thing i hit the job market in 79
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL why?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL why?

Exactly, it's crazy people brag about it.. If i was in that situation i would be doing everything to fix it... Per him the guy that left was 95% of the way good, and didn't do all the paperwork stuff that most employees struggle with doing... Then him owning the business killing himself making right at 100k.. lol. That sucks.. lots of poor decisions there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok boomer
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Perhaps that causes the youthful workers to liquidate the woke DEI types at companies. I've seen this script before.
View Quote

I hope so,  DEI is cancer
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Haha, employers must think there are people who actually like to work, and aren't just pretending in order to keep their job.

There are only a handful of people who wouldn't rather be doing something else.  Spending time with their families and friends, pursuing their hobbies and interests, etc.

If you stopped paying your employees, how many would keep showing up to work because they like what they do?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly, it's crazy people brag about it.. If i was in that situation i would be doing everything to fix it... Per him the guy that left was 95% of the way good, and didn't do all the paperwork stuff that most employees struggle with doing... Then him owning the business killing himself making right at 100k.. lol. That sucks.. lots of poor decisions there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL why?

I understand him, as I was there before. If he truly self evaluates his situation and self and works as hard and passionately as it sounds like he currently works day in and day out, he will be in a much better state and accomplish things that he didn’t think was possible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Project Engineer for 75k... LOL found the problem. As a GenX'er myself i read your post and i wouldn't want to work for you. Why waste your time calling him out after he resigned. The employee was over you, and the company, and you aren't paying enough, but he found more. I hope he leaves the new place in a year or two to make the 100k he deserved.

I make way over six figures and party hard. My team has a zero % churn rate, and our revenue is exploding. Got any more talented, mismanaged engineers? I’ll make them a nice offer.

I’ve found lots of awesome, talented people in the younger generations. Just need to manage them right, which starts with actual leadership. Hint: “I can do it better myself so I’ll just burn myself out being awesomest” isn’t leadership. Looks good for the boss, I suppose, if he’s the type that wants to look down on his serve scum instead of grow a kickass team that actually accomplished things.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That depends completely on the field.  Young people going into the trades still have the upper hand and will for the foreseeable future.  It seems like no one is going into the trades these days. We struggle to staff our jobs and it's only getting worse.
View Quote

Yup. And of course, the architects and engineers are idiots, so their shit rolls downhill, while the owners and GC want a 3 year job done in less than 2.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

you are incorrect.

The baby boom generation is usually defined as 1946 to 1964. That makes the oldest boomers 76, the youngest 58, and the median age 67. In other words, their retirement wave is peaking around now.
View Quote

Not exactly right now, but definitely in about 42 days.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The demographics just don't support that.  Maybe there will be a short term blip where the companies who grew faster than they should have during the decade of free money now become more selective and trim their staff counts.  

The only thing that made a 40 year stagnation in wages relative to production is the supply of workers exceeded the demand for them, as each cohort of new workers was larger than the last, technological productivity gains, over seas outsourcing all combined to reduce that demand.

Now we have 3 working generations all smaller than the boomers as the boomers retire en mass, 2 decades of relatively little productivity gains from tech in all but a few sectors (compared to previous 2 decades), and a multitude of things causing a reduction in off shoring.

Labor is going to be in the drivers seat for the next 10 to 20 years is my guess, unless there's some significant change in productivity or immigration.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A recession will hand the bargaining power to their bosses

By Daniel E. Greenleaf
July 4, 2022 11:05 am ET

We couldn’t find the committed workers we needed here, so we looked offshore. Today, 70 people work for us in Bangalore, India, and there will be more than 120 by the end of the year. We’ve found the same level of talent as in the U.S., but with turnover this year of less than 5%. And by reducing labor cost, the shift allowed us to reward motivated U.S. employees with more money.

View Quote

No they haven't.  Same old song and dance, cheap out overseas, quality falters, profits diminish, re-hire US workers that .mgmt hates.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Young millenial employees are horrible.  I had a 1st year ME graduate resign for $10k more a year.  Took a job 50 miles away for $10k more.
He was making mid $70k salary, just got a 10% bonus, a raise, had 401k, full med benes (80/20 with $250 deductible), dental.  He was a Project Engineer, very empowered, was good at most of what he did.  

Millenials cannot take any criticizim of their work.  I had to start to get involved with his projects once he gave notice, and I started calling him out on a lot of it.  He told me to stop being condescending, and a day later he walked out.  3 days into his 2 weeks.

Fuck them.  I hope their egos get crushed by whats coming.
View Quote

Maybe it was the work environment
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Big companies never cared about their employees, and never will.
A colleague of mine just got fired.
Someone asked him what he was doing this weekend and he said he was going to blow off some steam playing airsoft with his kids in the backyard.
A few California transplants got their panties in a bunch and HR frog-marched him out the door.
This guy is an Iraq and Afghanistan war vet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Initial Covid shutdowns (not the following checks and unemployment payments increase) *hopefully* gave younger workers a taste of the need for job security.
View Quote

What? Why would they need that when the government handed out unemployment to the tune of $600/week on top of state bennies?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Big companies never cared about their employees, and never will.
A colleague of mine just got fired.
Someone asked him what he was doing this weekend and he said he was going to blow off some steam playing airsoft with his kids in the backyard.
A few California transplants got their panties in a bunch and HR frog-marched him out the door.
This guy is an Iraq and Afghanistan war vet.
View Quote

Wait, he got fired for stating he was going to play airsoft with his kids "to blow off steam?"  
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#24]
They'll have nothing and like it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not exactly right now, but definitely in about 42 days.
View Quote

Technically its Jan 1 2023 is the exact mid point of the boomer retirement. It tails off after that... but congrats on your retirement!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#26]
How very Republican of him.

Attachment Attached File

The classic stifle the wages, complain no one wants to work and offshore the labor for pennies on the dollar while collecting big bucks.

His CEO profile says it all.

A five-time CEO for various privately held and public healthcare providers, Dan garners recognition for his exemplary talents in turning around well-positioned, but underperforming companies, empowering them to make a greater impact on patients. In 2008, he took over a home infusion company, Coram Healthcare, and increased its valuation from $350 million to $2.1 billion. This achievement attracted CVS, which subsequently acquired Coram. Serving as Chairman and CEO, Dan joined Home Solutions in 2013, a similar company specializing in home infusion services and home care management. His leadership changed the trajectory of the struggling company, culminating in the sale of Home Solutions in 2016 to a larger complementary home care company, BioScrip Infusion Services. After engineering this transaction, Dan became President and CEO and joined BioScrip’s board. Under his direction, BioScrip merged with Option Care in 2019. Later that year, Dan assumed the roles of President, CEO, and board member at Modivcare, a company he felt needed to be repositioned in the marketplace. Since Dan’s arrival, Modivcare has strategically shifted its branding, grown its workforce from 4 thousand to 25 thousand employees, and added $1.3 billion in acquisitions. The company today generates $2.3 billion in revenue. To date, Dan sits on multiple boards that span across the healthcare industry, including Matrix Medical Network, Alliance Homecare, University of Miami Health Management & Policy Department/Center Advisory Board, and Gryphon’s Executive Advisory Board.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Young millenial employees are horrible.  I had a 1st year ME graduate resign for $10k more a year.  Took a job 50 miles away for $10k more.
He was making mid $70k salary, just got a 10% bonus, a raise, had 401k, full med benes (80/20 with $250 deductible), dental.  He was a Project Engineer, very empowered, was good at most of what he did.  

Millenials cannot take any criticizim of their work.  I had to start to get involved with his projects once he gave notice, and I started calling him out on a lot of it.  He told me to stop being condescending, and a day later he walked out.  3 days into his 2 weeks.

View Quote

Shit I would make a good engineer
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]
That CEO’s opinion is different than the healthcare services trends I’ve seen over the last decade.  He can shit in one hand and wish in the other.  See which gets filled first.  I can say that his competitors are fully remote for a lot of their workforce and tout it as a benefit.  Maybe that’s why they can’t fill open positions?  Also, I have mentored IT resources from Bangalore.  They do not compare to US resources.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
My oldest graduated high school recently and we have been telling him for years that we are not co-signing on student loans and that he needs to start earning money for college. He preferred to sit around in pajamas playing video games so I warned him a couple of times and yesterday he was given the ultimatum that when school starts up in the fall if he is not a full-time student somewhere then he is paying room and board

I have been pushing him to find part-time work and he keeps telling me he can't find any so yesterday I told him when school starts you are either a full-time student or you're paying room and board
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#31]
If it is like 2009 again, it's going to be bad. In 2009, it was hard to even got a fast food job here during that time. People with real careers who got laid off couldn't find replacement jobs in their job field, their unemployment dried up and many had them had to take those fast food or retail jobs at least temporarily. And of course for most, those jobs didn't pay nearly enough to cover their mortgage or their bills, so they had to A.  Use up their savings, B. Work 2 fast food jobs full time, C. Sell their house and find somewhere cheaper to live..
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

what in the world? are you trolling?

Was your expectation that the millennial should stick around and put up with your harassment as some sort of punishment for finding a better job?

Nobody owes a company two weeks notice. It is a favor you are doing a company in an attempt to part ways on good terms.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My oldest graduated high school recently and we have been telling him for years that we are not co-signing on student loans and that he needs to start earning money for college. He preferred to sit around in pajamas playing video games so I warned him a couple of times and yesterday he was given the ultimatum that when school starts up in the fall if he is not a full-time student somewhere then he is paying room and board

I have been pushing him to find part-time work and he keeps telling me he can't find any so yesterday I told him when school starts you are either a full-time student or you're paying room and board
View Quote

When she graduated from high school my wife's parents told her they would pay for her college but the day she graduated she was on her own. My parents never told me anything like that but it was understood.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You ever think that 10k and 50 mile drive was worth it to go anywhere but your job?

But it's clear in the 2nd post you made the real issue is you think your work is more valuable, and he should be paid significantly less. It never crossed your mind to do what he did, and get yourself a raise and a promotion.

EDIT: You also misspelled Millennials and criticism
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can he run a computer and adhere to a schedule?

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Remote+Technical+Support
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
"I'm not getting my way so I'll just import more illegals and destroy society for my personal benefit
That will show you!"

$4.7 million in compensation lol

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At this point fuck work. I'm GenX, mid 40's, make six figures, but my career is not rewarding for me, I only do it for the money. And 99% of the time would rather be doing something else

Where is the application to be a Warlord when SHTF?
View Quote
Same.  Are you hiring or do you need a business partner?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need for that? CompTIA A+ cert?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The demographics just don't support that.  Maybe there will be a short term blip where the companies who grew faster than they should have during the decade of free money now become more selective and trim their staff counts.  

The only thing that made a 40 year stagnation in wages relative to production is the supply of workers exceeded the demand for them, as each cohort of new workers was larger than the last, technological productivity gains, over seas outsourcing all combined to reduce that demand.

Now we have 3 working generations all smaller than the boomers as the boomers retire en mass, 2 decades of relatively little productivity gains from tech in all but a few sectors (compared to previous 2 decades), and a multitude of things causing a reduction in off shoring.

Labor is going to be in the drivers seat for the next 10 to 20 years is my guess, unless there's some significant change in productivity or immigration.
View Quote

This, you might see a small blurb where employers think they have the upper hand again. But short of a multi year long depression it's a different world. It's demographics.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"I'm not getting my way so I'll just import more illegals and destroy society for my personal benefit
That will show you!"

$4.7 million in compensation lol

https://s29.q4cdn.com/773189526/files/images/management/2022/Dan_Greenleaf-Portrait-(1).jpg
View Quote

Christ, it's like Nicholson's Joker and Rip Torn had a kid.  And lacked the empathy and social graces of the former.

Not surprised by the article now.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We couldn't find US workers so we outsourced to India. That are totally as good  Also it's important to come in the office.

Clown shoes.

We had to explain copy/paste to one new Indian. Half of them write worse than a drunk 12yo.
View Quote

Bollocks
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It varies by role.  Some of them are a high school diploma and previous call center experience.  For example:

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=b7b1888c98c7e25c&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DRemote%2BTechnical%2BSupport

High school diploma or equivalent
At least 18 years of age
Customer orientation and ability to adapt/respond to different types of characters
Previous contact center experience
Excellent communication and presentation skills
2 years of recent financial experience
Familiarity with CRM systems and practices
Ability to contribute in a fast paced, team-oriented environment
Aptitude to multi-task and adjust quickly to change in a busy financial service center

Everything after high school diploma and at least 18 years of age is probably more of a nice to have than a requirement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Young workers have no idea what’s ahead.
Every 15th and 30th, the calls to report to HR. Dozens leaving at the same time, crying. Buckle up.

New companies about to get a lesson as well.
I know a new business owner who’s still hiring, clueless as to what’s coming.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't leave my company for a $10k raise, but I make a lot more than $70k. If you don't want employees to leave for little salary increases, offer a larger salary. 70k for an engineer sounds underpaid.

I worked 14 hours and was paid for 8 yesterday. I'll probably be doing the same today.

t.millennial worker.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Laughable, especially in healthcare IT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We've found the same level of talent as in the U.S.
Laughable, especially in healthcare IT.

I’m well familiar… Executives completely disconnected from the workforce discovered that it’s cheaper to have India do it 3 times than an American worker do it once, so here we are. I know some people who do Healthcare IT so I know exactly what you’re talking about.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can see this coming.
View Quote

You and me both......and Stevie Wonder, too!
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#47]
In the middle of a labor shortage?

Another day, another article trying to convince people things will just go back to how they were with no changes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's how it works.  

Booming economy = Employee's market

Recessive economy = Employer's market

I hate employer's market.  They'll lump everything that they can on you, and in most cases, you'll have to eat it.
View Quote

Demographic contraction == Employee's market.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’m well familiar… Executives completely disconnected from the workforce discovered that it’s cheaper to have India do it 3 times than an American worker do it once, so here we are. I know some people who do Healthcare IT so I know exactly what you’re talking about.
View Quote

The CEO is both right and wrong at the same time.

When engineers are straight jacketed and buried in corporate politics due to the presence of a PMO, their productivity and quality will often be nearly as bad as the Indian outsourcing.

By replacing those competent but straight jacketed domestic engineers with incompetent outsourced engineering, his costs will go down without a noticeable change in quality or productivity.

But modernized shops don't use the PMO model, and their productivity and quality so vastly outstrips the PMO model that the greater expense of domestic engineering is more than made up for.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Young workers have no idea what’s ahead.
Every 15th and 30th, the calls to report to HR. Dozens leaving at the same time, crying. Buckle up.

New companies about to get a lesson as well.
I know a new business owner who’s still hiring, clueless as to what’s coming.

View Quote

What’s coming is a possible economic downturn, but also a definite contraction in the number of working age people. Obviously there will be winners and losers, but it’s hard to say how this all shakes out.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top