Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Police are under no obligation to respond to a shooting, or to protect you.
View Quote

Yet they do it all the time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Gun powder is not an explosive therefore not a tracer the test detects.  Try some Pyrodex powder next time.
View Quote

None of what you wrote is correct.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I checked with a K9 buddy, it's the gun powder. They are explosive detecting K9's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what it is, specifically, that the dogs hit on.  Is it the smokeless powder residue?  Primer residue?  Gun oil?

It would be fun to have one of those metal AMEX cards (or any other similar decoy...pocket knife, nail clippers, keys, you name it), expose it to whatever it is the dogs hit on, and then troll 'em in the mall.

I checked with a K9 buddy, it's the gun powder. They are explosive detecting K9's.

Unless there's open power exposed somewhere, and in a decent quantity, that's complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the dog hit on my hoppes?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a propellant that burns, the rate of that burn is less than explosive material, therefore does not qualify it as an explosive.  Just because some components may be nitroglycerine does not make it an explosive compound.  The chamber of a firearm would rupture if gun powder exploded, but it doesn't, it burns and accelerates the bullet out the barrel.  Pyrodex is more explosive than gunpowder used in cartridges.
View Quote

You can double down if you want, but you're still wrong.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Main idea here ain't off duty LE.

If a business wants me disarmed, they dont deserve my business.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Police are under no obligation to respond to a shooting, or to protect you.

Yes they do but that isn't the point. Somehow I think you know that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.  It's almost as if they lower the quality of life everywhere they are present.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way I would go to a mall around here without a CCW.
Large packs of black teens harassing people and acting feral.

This.  It's almost as if they lower the quality of life everywhere they are present.

Some country should come up with a color-coded grading system and put it on postage stamps.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
So much violence at this mall!

Must be those wyte supreemasists I keep hearing about that commit most of those crimes...Since they're the biggest threat and all....

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote

WTF?  Our government is hopelessly broken at all levels.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What the hell is it going to alert on? img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]
View Quote

Nitrates?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some country should come up with a color-coded grading system and put it on postage stamps.
View Quote

Has Spain claimed it yet?

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, this is what I was told years ago. The dog will sniff out the powder in the cartridge.

If any law abiding CCW thinks he can ride through reciprocating gun friendly states on his way to visit family or friends in a rabidly anti-gun place like LA or NYC, and think he can just hide a disassembled and unloaded gun in the hidden compartment of his vehicle and plans on being a good boy and just not touching the gun again until leaving that town, well think again. Your car plate just might be the tip-off a bored anti-gun trooper or cop may use to call in for a local K9.

ETA; Was reading another post here that dogs sniffing out smokeless powder is BS. I don't want to find out the hard way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Was the rent a cops dog wearing goggles?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to say the Galleria, correct?

I haven't been there since 2015, and I don't plan on ever going back.

I may be a jerk, but I'd love to bring in small plastic baggies of smokeless powder and dump them in the plants, on the floors, etc., just as a big F-U to the mall
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unless there's open power exposed somewhere, and in a decent quantity, that's complete bullshit.
View Quote

Take a couple thousand round of say, 22lr.  place it in a sealed can for a day or two.  Now, open the can and take a sniff.  Ammo plainly outgasses and has an obvious to a human odor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder what it is, specifically, that the dogs hit on.  Is it the smokeless powder residue?  Primer residue?  Gun oil?

It would be fun to have one of those metal AMEX cards (or any other similar decoy...pocket knife, nail clippers, keys, you name it), expose it to whatever it is the dogs hit on, and then troll 'em in the mall.
View Quote

They most likely sniff out gunpowder.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Just another reason to avoid the mall...  congrats on losing even more business.

I can't be legally armed, and you'll have dogs that can sniff out my concealed weapon?  I'll take my business elsewhere to the detriment of the shops.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Gun powder. Bomb sniffing dogs.
View Quote

Not to derail the thread but I have it on good authority if you have an asshole boss and you have access to C4 if you press it against the outside of his or her luggage prior to returning to the United States from overseas, hilarity will ensue. Or so I’ve heard. That’s all I’ve got to say about that
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They can eat a bag of rectal sootkins
View Quote

ArfCom generates yet another outstanding name for a band.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In the malls defense. How do you deter a certain element that brings lawlessness and guns into their building? The Thanksgiving shooting happened within feet of multiple uniformed cops. The whole mall was covered with cops that day.

And yet, there was still a shooting. There is a HPD cop either on the property or very nearby at all times. Yet, they still have robberies, car jackings etc.. That last high profile shooting that killed the kid was after all the other measures that were put in place.

Unless you ban teen to 40 yr old black males from the property, I don't have a good grasp on how to stop it. I'm actually shocked they are still in business.
View Quote

Been there several times and each time the place is pretty empty. The nights and weekends can get more interesting though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time I go to the range, this story kinda makes me want to put some fresh fired cases in a ziplock with a squirt of CLP and a rag, so I could bring the rag to said mall on next visit and innocuously wipe down various surfaces.  

Just kinda.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Gun sniffing dog?

WTF...? More ouija dog bullshit, now being done by fucking rentacops?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cop gets to carry in mall off duty.

I carry in mall and probably get told to leave or worse.

Lol
View Quote
You are just another military fucker with combat experience, clearly not professional enough to be trusted with a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I believe it, something like that happened to me.  My wife and I were hiking on a local trail, and I had a S&W 642 in my pocket.  Another hiker and his dog passed going in the opposite direction.  The dog planted his nose on my front right pocket where the gun was, leaving a nice wet nose print.  The guy looked like he knew the dog found something but didn't say anything.
View Quote

I was at a Northern Virginia dog park a few years ago, and when I walked in with my dog, a hound of some sort broke out of it's pack to come stand by me and kept putting it's snout on my concealed carry.  It wouldn't leave my side.

The owners came over and  said they just got it from a rescue; sob story about living in an outdoor kennel with other dogs, forced to run across hill and dale chasing game, no individual attention,  . . . .  Sounded like it was a hunting dog doing what it loved.

I figured it picked up on the scent and hoped I would let it out of the park to chase the rabbits in the adjacent field.

I was debating telling the new owners that if they wanted to keep the dog close, they should put some CLP on their clothes, but determined that wouldn't go over well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Too bad I'm not a cop, I'd like to protect my family too.

Irrelevant tangent: I can't tell you how many times TSA swabbed my laptop with the explosives test and never got a positive,  despite the fact it was saturated with gun powder from my reloading bench.
View Quote
Lol try leaving Atlanta after being on the demo range at Ft Benning playing with C4
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So he got special treatment for being a cop?

Shocker
View Quote

Was he also white?

White privilege you know.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought sworn officers are supposed to always be armed .... or did I just get that from a movie or some shit ??
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
People still go to malls?  Yuck!

Ours looks like a DMZ, just a bunch of kids riding around on those Chinese Segway knockoffs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah but when bullets start flying me and you get to tuck tail and run away.

We also get to make more than $35k a year.

So look on the bright side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop gets to carry in mall off duty.

I carry in mall and probably get told to leave or worse.

Lol

Laughs in Broward County
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gun sniffing dog?

WTF...? More ouija dog bullshit, now being done by fucking rentacops?
View Quote

Maybe, but I stopped at a winery a few years ago and was standing at the tasting bar.  A really old german shepard came up and sat down next to me,  I reached down and petted him a bit but he wouldnt leave.  The owner told me that he was a rescue dog that worked with the military and even saw a little Afghanistan action.  He said he always knows who is carrying in his winery.  

Owner was behind the bar working the crowd...no way he ouija-ed the dog to walk up to me.  He didn't care that I was armed, not one bit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If the mall has to employ a gun-sniffing canine, why the @&$# would your buddy be at that mall with his family?
View Quote

Yea, seems like the mall I would not to be around or in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Makes sense, but I thought they were trying to stop live bombs from being boarded on the plane.
View Quote

If it isn't just a feel good measure, it could be that gunpowder shows up well on X-rays but the more advanced explosives don't so the swab test is only needed for those.

But it is probably just a feel good measure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You are just another military fucker with combat experience, clearly not professional enough to be trusted with a firearm.
View Quote

Would it help prove his competence if he shot 8 bullets at a fishing boy and missed all 8 times?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Would it help prove his competence if he shot 8 bullets at a fishing boy and missed all 8 times?
View Quote

No.  Unacceptable.  You need to demonstrate that you can hit people.

The more, the better.  Don't hold back.

Paywall spoiler:Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No.  Unacceptable.  You need to demonstrate that you can hit people.

The more, the better.  Don't hold back.

Paywall spoiler:Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

What? They got the shooter, didn't they?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

GD has this weird thing with dogs/K9's. Yes, they can smell drugs and yes they can smell your ammunition.

View Quote
Dogs are awesome and amazing and all that.  I know their olfactory sense is multiple orders of magnitude more powerful than a Human's.  Hell, there's dogs that can detect cancer.  

I get it.

But I also personally know, and have seen video evidence more times than I can remember, that a dog is only as good and as trustworthy as their handler.  

It seems almost a foregone conclusion that if someone denies permission for a search of a vehicle a K9 will be called and *poof!* it'll "alert", thus giving probable cause to search.  And if it doesn't alert on the first lap of the car, whaddya know, it sure will on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th go-around.

Then, when Officer Friendly tears the car apart and doesn't find anything, well, that's just damn proof that there surely was something there before, and that's why Fido alerted.  Of course.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If the mall has to employ a gun-sniffing canine, why the @&$# would your buddy be at that mall with his family?
View Quote

Smells like Birmingham, IMO................  
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My wife's backpack was always searched after being swabbed, nine never did. Mine had been used for shooting and hunting, hers had never been around a gun. Not sure what on her bag kept testing positive or if it was just random searches
View Quote

My backpack didn’t get hit on by a airport K9, and I had just repurposed it from carrying all kinds of SWAT stuff that should have triggered it like munitions and flashbangs.  Did not make me feel great at the time about how good of a dog it was.  

On the other hand, I had a buddy with a K9 that could absolutely find a gun (or whatever else) a suspect tossed in a field.  Several other K9’s were good for it as well.  Even the next day.  Weak link in my opinion is usually the handler and how they train.  Good dog can do a lot.  A crummy dog, a badly trained dog, or crummy handler is near worthless and wastes your time.  The trick is to figure out which it is early on in the incident, and also get rid of crummy dogs or handlers that cannot perform in a capable manner.  My experience is basically 50% of new K9/new handler teams will do a great job, the other 50% need to fix something major before they really get squared away.  So long as you can fix them, they can be pretty useful as well.  But sometimes they can’t be fixed...
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

And shoot, kill, or maim indiscriminately with no consequences.
So look on the bright side if you are not on the receiving end!
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What would happen hypothetically if someone had some smokeless powder in their pocket and a small hole??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the hell is it going to alert on? The smell of metal? "Sorry officer, I have my car keys right here"

Carbon? "Sorry officer, I was at the range earlier" (and maybe he should maintain his firearm better if that was what it alerted on)

CLP? "Sorry officer, it's my cologne"

Gun powder. Bomb sniffing dogs.

What would happen hypothetically if someone had some smokeless powder in their pocket and a small hole??

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#50]
This is why I bleach my gun before I carry it every time.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top