Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought this video was a joke at first. Man, memories of the dot com boom.

I worked at a company like this.  The emphasis was completely on "culture" and perks instead of the bottom line. Hell, we had a concierge that would run personal errands for us.  Guess what happened to that company. I could see it coming like a freight train, but the young kids there thought the gravy train would not stop coming until an IPO showered them in riches.  They were apparently all pretty shocked when the layoffs started. I was out the door before then.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By mid 6 figures are you inferring a salary in the  $3-500K range?

Because I have a hard time believing that anyone making, let's say $400K , is sitting in a cubicle.
View Quote

He implies.  You infer.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, the trendy thing last couple years is “open office”, which in reality means that the high level folks have to spend their entire day in phone booth/huddle rooms on phone/zoom meetings that contain sensitive information or subjects.

Stupidest fucking thing ever. Zero privacy unless you go in the phone booth. “Oh, but it’s VERY European”
View Quote

This has been going on for a while.

I did a summer internship for Union Carbide in 1977 at the then new Danbury CT facility. It was based on the "open concept" and within a few months they had realized they made a multi-billion dollar error. What a shit show.

That being said open concept collaboration is still being used, e.g. SOCOM targeting cells but to my point, no one closing in on $.5M is sitting in a cubicle…..open concept….maybe but cubicle? Nope.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ugh. For some reason, a lot of young women seem to get sucked into big companies and turned into 100% true believers. They'll defend management to the death and gladly burn dissenters. I'd avoid Ms. LinkedIn like the plague if I worked around her.

My amateur psychologist opinion is that they're substituting the company for a father or husband.
View Quote

Same personality traits that allow them to get sucked into cultish MLMs
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of working at Google.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was 121*F in the shop last week. Lunch was not provided. Food was not provided.
We do not have a safe space.
We did dangerous shit on heavy shit and we're all conservative to ultra conservative Christians.
I win.
View Quote

x1000
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Wall Street Silver
@WallStreetSilv
·
18h
Some C level dude is playing 4d chess here.

He knows this is a honey pot for all the good 22-year-old talent (ass). This is a recruitment video to get the babes to apply to work there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I worked at rising tech company years ago.

Free food and beverages in the office, quarterly nicely catered open bar happy hours, well equipped in office gym, really nice huge park surrounding the building.

Hated it, those perks did not nearly begin to offset the long hours, backstabbing politics, and soul sucking grind.
View Quote

Sounds horrible.

At my job as a senior leader in a Fortune 300 company we only get the long hours, backstabbing politics and soul sucking grind.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't tell if that's serious or some type of sarcasm.
View Quote

Literally 10mins of work described as ALL DAY.  So many people do not know what "producing is" (and I don't just mean making physical things) and are incapable of it.

Also, my main take-away is this:

Workers: Corporations suck and don't pay us....

Corporations: here is millions of dollars in perks that could go in your pocket but you want free lattes all day

We are not doomed because of one or the other, we are doomed because of both workers and corporations.  Fucking dumbasses all around.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because I have a hard time believing that anyone making, let's say $400K , is sitting in a cubicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At our company mid six figure executives sit in cubes.

A lot do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ugh. For some reason, a lot of young women seem to get sucked into big companies and turned into 100% true believers. They'll defend management to the death and gladly burn dissenters. I'd avoid Ms. LinkedIn like the plague if I worked around her.

My amateur psychologist opinion is that they're substituting the company for a father or husband.
View Quote

I've seen that myself. They love the Pavlov's Dogs environment and enticements. You can watch their heads bob up and down when management is giving a presentation. It's funny at first but becomes quite annoying after awhile.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds horrible.

At my job as a senior leader in a Fortune 300 company we only get the long hours, backstabbing politics and soul sucking grind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked at rising tech company years ago.

Free food and beverages in the office, quarterly nicely catered open bar happy hours, well equipped in office gym, really nice huge park surrounding the building.

Hated it, those perks did not nearly begin to offset the long hours, backstabbing politics, and soul sucking grind.

Sounds horrible.

I imagine you get paid pretty well for it though. Our compensation was at the low end of industry norms. Why did people stick around? Because of trying to get stock and cash-in on the often teased IPO. The company was aggressively pushing to go public, and the reason for all the backstabbing was the scramble to get in a position where they could get stock.

(company still has not gone public and I left years ago)
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
My sense of self preservation would be kicking in pretty hard if I saw all those perks combined with a work-free day.  But hey, she’s working in the office so I guess that means she’s working hard and contributing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Yet the boomers insist that the WFH people are the ones fucking off at work.

Post this shit in the "Bank CEO says WFH is for "jobs", coming into the office is for "careers"" thread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Post this shit in the "Bank CEO says WFH is for "jobs", coming into the office is for "careers"" thread.
View Quote

Those that fuck off at WFH were fucking off at the office also.  Most people just don't want to realize it.

The old adage of 80% of the work being done by 20% of the people isn't far from the truth in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, not real happy with linkedin nowadays.  It's gone full facebook: politics, salesmen, and instagramish self-promoters and wanna-be influencers.  I got a promotion at work and didn't even do the 'starting a new position' announcement because I don't want to deal with the sales attempts.  That's the real reason it's days are numbered although bleeding money on corporate real estate and perks won't help the situation.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Making mid six figures and I sit in a cube. Large public company. Not a big deal. Kinda like it. No hiding. Most of the time was collaborating with my subordinate leaders. Also, no place to hide and on conference calls most days. For confidential stuff we went to Huddle rooms.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I consider myself a boomer and spent over 50% of my career working from my home office.  I can be writing proposals at 4 am or be answering texts and emails at 9 pm.  Much more productive than just working the 9-5 at an office.  Hell, I've set up meetings and talked to end users while sitting on my boat fishing.  It has everything to do with the person and their work ethic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm so old and out of touch it's almost like I don't speak the same language as everyone else any more.  What did all that mean?  It seemed like Initech or Initrode (or a newer "tech" stereotype) without even the "15 minutes of actual work."
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Just lie, any woman in any office I’ve been in

Do fuck all, all day work is a social event for them. The men do all the work women get the praise.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"working in tech"

with that dogshit laptop, no external monitors, keyboard, or mouse.
View Quote

I know marketing folks that "work" just like that.  Heck, one of my close friends makes mid six figures as an event planner for a tech company. She travels the world staying in the most luxurious hotels that are trying to win her business. She gets treated like royalty. Tech money is insane. Honestly, this downturn needed to happen at some point. A huge portion of these companies have never had a single profitable business day. My wife's company is no exception. They went from IPO expectant to firing 50% of their workforce in the last 3 months. The order came down from investors/board that it was time to end the burn and get profitable. My wife went from an executive team of 6 as controller to CFO and head of IT over night. Exec team is now 3 at a company with $100m in annual revenue. 400 employees down to 200. Turn and burn folks. There will be no mercy when tech has to make the decision to get profitable or die. Things will get spicy soon. The companies that don't play the game will disappear. The great resignation will be replaced by the great termination.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also, not real happy with linkedin nowadays.  It's gone full facebook: politics, salesmen, and instagramish self-promoters and wanna-be influencers.  I got a promotion at work and didn't even do the 'starting a new position' announcement because I don't want to deal with the sales attempts.  That's the real reason it's days are numbered although bleeding money on corporate real estate and perks won't help the situation.  
View Quote

I and many others feel the same way.  Designed to be a professional place and a way to network, turned into a fucking garbage dump.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I was in my 20s and single that would be the fucking job
View Quote

There's a reason a lot of the mid twenties folks in tech want to go back to the office. Its their social lives. My wife did it. Lived in SF, worked long hours, but went to happy hours and walked to bars and restaurants. Its the 30-40's folks that have lives, families, kids and don't want to waste time commuting or with office  politics. They don't want to live in the city and take public transit.

I predict there will be places for both. Some people are built for office life, some for WFH.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Reminds me of that tech something or other company that shares the floor with my financial advisor.  No clue in the name, just a logo with "TLL" on the door.

They have office pets. Dogs that don't belong to anybody, they are cared for and stay in, the office like a potted plant. They have a full time pet care employee.  Somebody comes along and steam cleans the urine out of the carpets every once in a while I'm told.

It fascinates my financial guy, two years so far and he has no idea what the hell they do. Floor to ceiling glass walls, open floor plan and they come to work in pajamas.

I told him that he should put up cameras outside the glass walls and start a live Youtube channel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
WTF was that?

View Quote

That's a career in the office... duh.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Those that fuck off at WFH were fucking off at the office also.  Most people just don't want to realize it.

The old adage of 80% of the work being done by 20% of the people isn't far from the truth in my experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely... you can hide in the office, just like at home.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Ben Visits Entertainment 720 | Parks and Recreation
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Early 20s careers.  This has always been the case since I was in my early 20s in the 90s.  

She will never get past mid management but most likely will be a stay at home mom for 10 years.

The same is true today as it was 30 years ago.  20% of people do 80% of the work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't tell if that's serious or some type of sarcasm.
View Quote
Holy shit...Her TT is full of those kind of videos.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, the trendy thing last couple years is "open office", which in reality means that the high level folks have to spend their entire day in phone booth/huddle rooms on phone/zoom meetings that contain sensitive information or subjects.

Stupidest fucking thing ever. Zero privacy unless you go in the phone booth. "Oh, but it's VERY European"
View Quote
Wife unit is in upper management at a large company.  They recently went to open office.  When they were first making the transition she was talking to my uncle who is a retired exec.  She told him about it and his reply was, "We tried that back in the 80s, it doesn't work."

Two years later now and what you described is true.  She practically works out of a huddle room.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was 121*F in the shop last week. Lunch was not provided. Food was not provided.
We do not have a safe space.
We did dangerous shit on heavy shit and we're all conservative to ultra conservative Christians.
I win.

x1000
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/B926BC70-2451-4EC1-A889-3A3C070B9F9D-404.gif

Lol. No, unless you’re pulling down serous scratch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I mean, she said she got a new marketing position in the the video
But, it's not very sly lol. She's appealing to the young hip urban demographic. LinkedIn is like the only social media I still sort "use" and it sucks too lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That has to be some sly recruitment ploy.

I mean, she said she got a new marketing position in the the video
But, it's not very sly lol. She's appealing to the young hip urban demographic. LinkedIn is like the only social media I still sort "use" and it sucks too lol.

LinkedIn has become nothing more than FecesBook4Business.

It was already on a slow slide when MS bought them out it just went over the cliff. MS desperate to have any sort of "soshal meejjia" presence.

Still have an account but only 6 years away from deleting it forever.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Don’t work from home. Come to the office! We have cool drinks & will schedule meetings that nobody attends. BUT YOU CAN BE PART OF A FUN CULTURE!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A lot do.
View Quote

Really ?  

You have 1st hand knowledge of someone closing in on a salary of a half million per annum that sits in a cubicle?

I’m calling bullshit.  

I know plenty of folks in the $200k range that worked in small collaborative office environment but when you start getting into orders of magnitude above that you generally have a private space.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, the trendy thing last couple years is “open office”, which in reality means that the high level folks have to spend their entire day in phone booth/huddle rooms on phone/zoom meetings that contain sensitive information or subjects.

Stupidest fucking thing ever. Zero privacy unless you go in the phone booth. “Oh, but it’s VERY European”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Big pharma company I was laid off from did this years ago. Even the CEO had to deal with "open space" concept. Of course the really upper types spend all days in the fishbowl meeting rooms so not really out in the open unless they have to be for "appearance" reasons.

Reminded me of a chicken house, hog parlor, or those old pictures of a wide open floor full of paper pushers / typists from the turn of the century.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Our country is screwed. It's going to be hilarious when the reality check finally comes for these people, although the mass suicides may not be so hilarious.
View Quote

What the fuck are you on about.

Of course they're going to be hilarious.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Chai lattes and quiet rooms are great... for some people... I guess.  I'm fortunate to have the best tech workplace ever.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19198/workplace_png-2437365.JPG
View Quote

As long as the dog doesn't manage to type "DEL *.*" or "Hey boss, you suck ass!" or something critical like that, you're OK.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#39]
The Pareto principle is a real thing. ETA: And this has to be fake, it's too ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I live way below my means, and there is so much fat in my company before they get to my department, and I have seniority within my department, and knowledge most dont have

Really hard times are coming especially if Biden shuts down the Permian Basin.
View Quote

This is actually really good news for productive people. When the economy shits a brick, they're the last to get canned.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"working in tech"

with that dogshit laptop, no external monitors, keyboard, or mouse.
View Quote

Her job is to look pretty and motivate the incel neckbeards that actually do the work. It's their male cis privilege.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
At least she is not working from home!

Well actually the second half of her day was working from home because she had her company laptop while bar hopping.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really ?  

You have 1st hand knowledge of someone closing in on a salary of a half million per annum that sits in a cubicle?

I’m calling bullshit.  

I know plenty of folks in the $200k range that worked in small collaborative office environment but when you start getting into orders of magnitude above that you generally have a private space.
View Quote

Lots of people in finance/investment banking that do.

First year associates could be sitting in a cubicle and make $200k base and a $200k bonus and definitely over $500k the next year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I guess I missed the part where she explained the goods and/or services that she provides ??
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
From the comments-
"That's what peak bull market looked like".
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll take my two dogs, a big mug of instant coffee and a variety of loaded weapons next to me while I work.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#50]

First thing I thought of.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top