Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For inspiration we clamored this together today to show possible tshirt designers where they might start.

Graphics students plan on helping us get rid of the background clutter.   As for unicorn horns on the riders steeds, many laughed at the idea.  Some don't want to mix the two projects.

We will see where all the designs go and see what is popular.

I think this may be too close to what we've done on the other designs.  I'm hoping we can mix up the composition a bit.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4795/40656204902_42631ff6aa_z.jpg
View Quote
All aboard the crazy train
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

All aboard the crazy train
View Quote
That's got potential.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In for two!
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Update 3/9

Our trusty custodian is working to get the hanging apparatus all set up.

The mural progress.

This is starting to look like Wyoming.

Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This came out of my box of Red Rose tea this morning.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67686/4-4-0-475750.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Update 3/9.2

The display box is almost ready for the Plexiglas.

More patina.  Possibly a bit much in spots.  I told them we needed to spread it out a bit more, then they could add to it if needed.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2018 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the great thing about too much rust and patina.  Scraping, polishing, & repainting!  They can do several layers - it's called maintenance.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Update 3/10

Saturday Top_Men edition.

My youngest arrived home last night for spring break, and he wanted to play with some of his new toys, so we went to the school and he played around with his oscilloscope.    He got one of the drone motors powered up.  It is very similar to our fan for the whistle.

He texted with our current robotics student and passed along the wiring set up.  We also ordered a power supply for the fan and he will be able to help out next week when it gets wired up.

Checking to make sure the components he was working with were not broken.  These were all from a crashed drone from last summer.  Many of them were toast.

Trying to access the WiFi at school was with his own pc.....  not successful.

We grabbed a few things to test and headed home.

Graphing the wave form coming from the arduino so he could measure the duty cycle to make sure the signal could be used with the ESC.

I totally understand all that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Must have been a pretty big quad rotor to require a pile of 3s 5200 mAH batteries like that.
In the rc world, the speed controller interprets the signals from the radio receiver and increases
or decreases the power to the motors based on the inputs you give the transmitter.

The arduino will be both the "programmed" transmitter and receiver that will signal the esc to send
power to your ducted fan to sound the whistle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#10]
In for moar tshirts

We love when people ask about them and it normally ends many drinks later on arf showing threads...ya'll rock it!!!!

Some women at hospital last week asked how it was to work with nasa....door gunner beotches

I said it would be cool
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
guns, the Navy is particularly fond of engineers, they tend to give them nuclear reactors to watch for a time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
guns, the Navy is particularly fond of engineers, they tend to give them nuclear reactors to watch for a time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Must have been a pretty big quad rotor to require a pile of 3s 5200 mAH batteries like that.
In the rc world, the speed controller interprets the signals from the radio receiver and increases
or decreases the power to the motors based on the inputs you give the transmitter.

The arduino will be both the "programmed" transmitter and receiver that will signal the esc to send
power to your ducted fan to sound the whistle.
View Quote
It's a big drone, but I'm not sure how many batteries are on it.

It's a flying wing vstol design.   I'm guessing about 40-48" wingspan.  It tends to crash rather easily during transition, if it happens to close to the ground.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In for moar tshirts

We love when people ask about them and it normally ends many drinks later on arf showing threads...ya'll rock it!!!!

Some women at hospital last week asked how it was to work with nasa....door gunner beotches

I said it would be cool
View Quote
This kind of story always baffles the students.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you are suggesting that for my youngest.....   talked to the Army, Army Reserve, Air National Guard, and recently the Marines have been recruiting him.

But, he's on full tuition scholarship through the Hathaway program here in WY.  None of them could offer much more than what he already has, and he was worried about not studying on the weekends, if he went Reserve or Air Guard.

He also had both knees operated on when he was in his early teens.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Update 3/12

The Choo Choo Crew completed more of the murals today.

The cover for the boiler also got a few more details.  We had many students gone today for various reasons.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Incredibly amazing talent. Great leadership Guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are suggesting that for my youngest.....   talked to the Army, Army Reserve, Air National Guard, and recently the Marines have been recruiting him.

But, he's on full tuition scholarship through the Hathaway program here in WY.  None of them could offer much more than what he already has, and he was worried about not studying on the weekends, if he went Reserve or Air Guard.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The phrase he wants is NUPOC.  Nuclear Propulsion Officers Program.  No duty until graduation, but you get paid.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Update 3/14

No walk outs at our H.S.

Yesterday and today we had mostly brightening of some of the tarnished metal.

We need to straighten up and clean up some of the bright spots.

This looking pretty nice.

These are also looking properly scraped and shiny in the right spots.

Silver is also being brightened up.

Much, much more is still needed.

End of the short day added the actuator instalation for the bell.

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome, a little dry brushing for the edges would look fine.

DRYBRUSHING - SCALE MODEL HOW TO GUIDE
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Bug splatters?  Dry twigs and leaves snagged when passing by a tree blowing in the wind?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bug splatters?  Dry twigs and leaves snagged when passing by a tree blowing in the wind?
View Quote
... bison carcass on cow-pusher...  

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Update 3/15 Mural continues to grow.

Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Awesome, a little dry brushing for the edges would look fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRyy_Ecu92E
View Quote
That's some good stuff tonplay around with.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]
You should have one crew going around adding patina, dirt, bug splatters, grass, rocks, dents - and another crew going around after them polishing up, repainting, removing bug splatters, pressing out dents...  
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You should have one crew going around adding patina, dirt, bug splatters, grass, rocks, dents - and another crew going around after them polishing up, repainting, removing bug splatters, pressing out dents...  
View Quote

That gave me a serious laugh on this early Friday morning.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#27]
My robotics student spent a lot of time with the teacher looking for a box marked "space shuttle" somewhere in the robotics room.  

My youngest says it contains an extra part that we need to lower the voltage on our power source for the whistle.  They didn't find the box yet, so Top_Men is going to come in this morning and help look for it.

The bell was wired in yesterday, but I'm not sure the program is complete, as it was turned off and I didn't get a chance to converse with the robotics student before he left.

Hopefully today, we get it going and working with the program.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a big drone, but I'm not sure how many batteries are on it.

It's a flying wing vstol design.   I'm guessing about 40-48" wingspan.  It tends to crash rather easily during transition, if it happens to close to the ground.
View Quote
The big problem with the flying wing was/ is it's instability. This was fixed with computer control of some of the avionics.

Back on topic, great progress and good work!
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Update 3/16

New video with the bells going active in our sequence.

Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Update 3/16.2

These will be the rails for our tracks.

The top of our display box is almost ready.

The mural of the cattle drive is getting more and more detailed.

Dry brush technique being applied after a larger brush was supplied and a quick explanation of the video.

Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of the rust on top should be angled towards the back, from leaks at speed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Just noticed the 87
Excellent
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some of the rust on top should be angled towards the back, from leaks at speed.
View Quote
Noted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#35]
don't overdue the weathering, they kept them pretty clean back then.

Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Sand all that rust!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Extremely impressive!  Details are phenomenal!   I'll definitely share that with students next week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Update 3/20

Details on the cab boiler cover are all coming together.  A little weathering and it should be good to go.

More drybrush patina.   We are just about done with the locomotive.  The tender just started today.

The murals are plugging along.

The tshirt designs are starting to yield some results.  This turned out pretty nice.

Finally, our local structural engineer stopped by today to make sure we weren't doing anything wrong with our plans to hang the locomotive.  We got his approval so hopefully soon we will get some cables up and ready for the train.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Update #2 for tonight,

I'm going to have to take away my artists patina brushes, but she's doing a great job.

This was pretty crazy today.  Students worked to get the two sections of track together while up in the air.  They needed a slight adjustment on one end of 3/4" and the whole thing snapped into place.

Before I could say anything.....the little turkeys let go of the tracks and allowed friction to hold them in place up there in the air.  I reminded them of the foot bridge in FL thst just collapsed and told them to get some hands under the sections.

It's hard not to have fun with this group.

Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  Update #2 for tonight,

I'm going to have to take away my artists patina brushes, but she's doing a great job.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4794/40219349584_71c6f75570_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/791/39118085970_ec356cfd23_h.jpg
View Quote
YES!  THAT'S GORGEOUS!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Good to see the tracks coming into place.
Are you supporting them with anything, like a bridge?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good to see the tracks coming into place.
Are you supporting them with anything, like a bridge?
View Quote

Funny guy.

Just cables that will support them and allow them to hang an inch or so under the train.  Too much bridge and we won't be able to see enough of the train.    At least, that's the excuse we are using.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks really good
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's looking good, except the wheels look freshly milled/cleaned.   I'm not sure what they should look like, though.  Maybe the track keeps them polished?  Only the outer rim is rusty?

I'm not much of a train guy.
View Quote
The sides should probably have some rust, but the rims that contact the rail should be bright because the rolling on the track keeps them polished.

I was also thinking, there shouldn't be any rust, especially around the seams on the main body of the locomotive. That is a pressure vessel and anyone operating it would not have let rust develop. Weak seams and uncontrolled rust would make it a bomb. Dirt and grime, sure. Rust, no.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  The sides should probably have some rust, but the rims that contact the rail should be bright because the rolling on the track keeps them polished.

I was also thinking, there shouldn't be any rust, especially around the seams on the main body of the locomotive. That is a pressure vessel and anyone operating it would not have let rust develop. Weak seams and uncontrolled rust would make it a bomb. Dirt and grime, sure. Rust, no.
View Quote
Maybe they're delivering to FedEx?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The sides should probably have some rust, but the rims that contact the rail should be bright because the rolling on the track keeps them polished.

View Quote
I would expect the pressure vessel to be inside an insulated jacket with thinner metal over the top which could rust without risk of boiler failure.  Not a rail guy by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm just thinking out loud here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#49]
My students appreciate the nice, shiney, new looking engines that they've found pictures of, but they really like the "old rusty train" pictures they've found.

Like I said, I'll probably have to take away her brushes soon, but I like where she's going with this, and she's got some nice reference pictures she's working off of.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Update 3/14

No walk outs at our H.S.
View Quote
You have no idea how proud I am to know that!!!!
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top