Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guns762...this build is AMAZING!! job well done to you sir and all those involved...1 request..more pics!
awrsome stuff at every level!
View Quote
I was hoping we'd have pictures of the hanging this week, but it looks like the cables will not be done.  Students are suggesting that if we don't have it hung by State Symposium we try to take it with us.  I'm not sure that is possible.  We will see.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
ARFCOM, we have a problem.

We just blew motor #2 on the whistle, and we didn't even get to half power on it.    The prop bent, then the blades ate into the housing and fractured.    

We need another option.  The motor we've been trying to use is way too fragile.    I'll post pictures later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A freshman on 'whistle' duty sounds more and more plausible.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A freshman on 'whistle' duty sounds more and more plausible.
View Quote
The seniors were all for this idea.

Here is the blown motor with the bent drive shaft and I think I know what happened.  I may have to draw a picture and upload it.  I discussed this with the robotics student tonight while we were both down in the weight room.  I'm sure he was thrilled to have me still pestering him while we were working out.

Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what I think happened.

The fan is not made to handle any angular pressure from its exhaust.  With the T we used, and the fan not being fully seated, air was allowed to push laterally out the T instead of up towards the whistle pipes.

This angular pressure caused the drive shaft to bend, and failure of the fan blades as they struck the sides of the cowling.

We weren't even past 1/4 speed.

So where do we go now?  What I'm thinking is we need to abandon the idea of the small fans and find a compact fan that we can attach some ductwork to and funnel the flow to our whistle pipes.

I just need to find the right fan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Update 4/5

Some of the cables the custodian is working with to hang our substructure beam.

The tshirt designs are getting closer.  We are looking closely at these two combinations.  We will also look at a three color option, but costs may make that prohibitive.

Constructive criticism is always helpful, so if you've got an idea, post it.

The mountain in the background is Heart Mountain.

The orange is popular, as our school colors are orange and black.

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Update 4/6

Here is a bit of video of more of the details as they get finished up on our train.

Panther Locomotive waiting for display
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I like that t-shirt just like it is. Send it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The detailing really looks good!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the "Powell Locomotive Works 2018" shirt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the locomotive works shirt....SO......

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like that t-shirt just like it is. Send it.
View Quote
We are getting closer.  There will be some informal voting next week, then an ironed out design.

This is popular right now.

Slightly bigger graphic to show up better.  

We tried many variations of colors.    This seems like a nice combination.  We also straightened the year graphic.

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 4/6

First off, we are getting closer to the end of the dreaded woodpile.    Students started painting rings on some of the faces of the logs.   I have amazingly patient students.

And yes, my rust maker is still dinging up our poor tender.   It is turning out very nicely and she does say she is almost done.

The rings look good, but what the hell happened to the end of this one?. We need to fix that.
[

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking back at the tender pile.

The new answer to the whistle.

This is what needs fed.  1.5" ID pipe.

This is very close to the 4" duct fan that we ordered today.   We will fit a funnel to the fan, then flexible hose to the funnel end.   The hose will connect to our whistle.   It's a 100cfm fan.   Our calculus teacher believes we will have plenty of force.

We may have to power this a little differently than planned and we are still working on that.   It should be easy, but we may need another controlling outlet for it to work when we want it to and not just when the light comes on.

Not sure why the amazon link is not working.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you remind them how many tiles were on the shuttle?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you remind them how many tiles were on the shuttle?
View Quote
Yes I have, but most that were involved with that project haven't forgotten.

I haven't heard anyone who did tiles complain too much about bark.

ETA for those that don't know-  Roughly 16,500 tiles applied one at a time with hot glue.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  And yes, my rust maker is still dinging up our poor tender.   It is turning out very nicely and she does say she is almost done.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/887/26412022527_39225b7489_h.jpg
View Quote
She is a genius, you know this.

Someone needs to get repainting that tender!  It's been years since it was painted last!  Look @ it, it's almost a rusted hulk!  Freshman, slap some fresh paint on there!

FYI, you do not have a problem w/ the fan motor - you have a learning opportunity.  You furnish more of those to your students than the rest of the faculty combined.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Man, it's going to look amazing when it's all done.

Like Disney World theming amazing.

Can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

She is a genius, you know this.

Someone needs to get repainting that tender!  It's been years since it was painted last!  Look @ it, it's almost a rusted hulk!  Freshman, slap some fresh paint on there!

FYI, you do not have a problem w/ the fan motor - you have a learning opportunity.  You furnish more of those to your students than the rest of the faculty combined.
View Quote
I told my wife the same last night at dinner.    It only cost me $15 plus a funnel and some rubber tubing to see if it works, and just the fun of seeing if they can make it work is with every penny.  

Setting that piece of cardboard tubing down in front of them, as they gathered around the cab, and watching them start problem-solving was the best part of yesterday.  Brainstorming up an oil fill funnel was genius.

I forgot to tell you all about our other problem.   The Arduino app editor currently won't allow my robotics student to upload the old program back onto the locomotive to get the wheels and light going again.   We had taken it off to try to run the whistle.

My son said he had the same problem last year with the space shuttle.   He used the online website to accomplish it.    Well, the app is blocked now by the Sonic firewall at school.. We had to get admin approval to unblock it, which was instant, but actually unlocking it seems to be beyond our tech departments ability.   They we're still getting errors yesterday afternoon while the student tried in front of them.   Ugg.   It's frustrating.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Got to love Amazon Sunday delivery.

I need to go round up a funnel and rubber hose today so students can try to put this together tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Update 4/9

What a day.

Students were anxious to get going to test out our new motor.    They quickly got this set up together and plugged it in.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd...........

It didn't work.. Complete failure.   The fan design would not force any air down the funnel out the tube.   It just backed out.   We tried a couple different things with no success.

I was ready to give up on the whistle, but the kids wanted to try a hair blower.  We have one there.   So.........

Train whistle test-hair dryer

With our success, we tried to remove the heating element.

Annnnnnnnnnd.........we broke it completely.

With that..........I had to go get a new one.    Tomorrow, we will try it out.

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why not just use a Rasberry Pi with a speaker and a sound file?!  It will sound much better, and make less air blower noises.

check out #2
https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/steam_train

or the last one on this page....
https://www.soundsnap.com/tags/steam_train?page=1

Obviously, we'll fund it
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because, dang it!  We spent too much time and effort making those whistles, and they sound cool.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You need a BLDC motor designed for use in a ducted fan configuration, with a bit of free air on both sides of the duct, enough will blow into the tube.

Assuming the hairdryer blew the whistle properly.  A squirrel cage fan as used in blow dryer may work, just put BLDC motor to spin that instead of the 110V motor.

Typically, more blades allows for higher static pressure/back pressure, but it's probably going to move a lot more air than the duct can carry, hence the small gap between housing and whistle input so it doesn't shred itself.  Adjust gap as necessary for amount of air and pressure needed.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01DONJXRA
View Quote
That looks much like(just bigger) whats we already tried and destroyed.......twice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Did I mention my robotics student is still locked out of uploading the old program to the arduino?

Their issued laptops are so locked down they are little more than a word processor.

Supposedly, the tech dept was going to try again this afternoon to make it possible to use the online editor.   Uggggg.    That is very frustrating.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keeps 110V out of the train wiring as well for safety.
View Quote
We already have the 110 for the lighting.    We can plug the hair dryer into the surge protector that can be turned on and off by the Arduino.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So the notebooks are locked down so they can't install software?  How do they program the boards in the robotics lab?  If they run chrome browser, there's a "shell" addon they can run, which gives them a shell at the privledges of the browser (admin sometimes even) which can be used to install software.

Not saying you should start hacking or anything like that.  Just options to look at.

Otherwise, is this robot dude different than Top Men?  I thought he had a nice non-school notebook.
View Quote
Exactly.    No software that isn't pre-approved.    No drivers.   It's very frustrating.

Top_Men had his own Mac   Top_Men is now down at UW majoring in Computer Engineering.  He used my issued laptop when he needed windows, but even the teacher laptops are locked down.

New Robotics student has issued laptop.

We are going to try a teacher laptop tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
 They can't download from their phone to the little computer?  Doesn't that thing have Bluetooth?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif  They can't download from their phone to the little computer?  Doesn't that thing have Bluetooth?
View Quote
I asked if the arduino can talk android or OS, and I'm pretty sure I was told no.  Wont work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  Well, not exactly true, but with your resources, correct.

Easy to add wi-fi debugging and programming to it for $10 and knowing what to add if they want to look into the ESP8266 chips and all that is entailed to set up (NOT not not plug and play).
View Quote
They can't get into it w/ a terminal app?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Update 4/10

We got it working again and then it locked up again.    I hate arduino.  

At least the whistle is nice and loud.  you can hear it down the hall.  The new hair dryer is pretty quiet but powerful.

Panther Locomotive whistle reloaded program
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow that cool when working!  Hope you find a good solution and be trouble free.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
More update from today.

The wood pile is very close to full, with endcap painting still a ways away.

The interior of the cab.  You can see the duct tubing for the whistle.

With the new painted hair dryer attached.

New  trees going up in the mural.

Finally, we are making this as close to full scale as possible.  It will fit in the display with our golden spike.

End caps still needed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Like space shuttle:

Add

Serial.Print(Message);

Each time you are in a loop or before and after testing for something, leave the PC plugged into the USB with serial console monitoring.  It'll be pretty obvious where you are locking up at.  Arduino sucks to debug like that, but it's the easiest way without extra hardware.

Could be something as simple as = instead of == or < instead of <= and other little oversights that will make it work for the first few cycles, then fail the test, so the serial console will be printing what it's doing, just ignore it, except for the last few unique lines and you'll know exactly where the problem is.

To make that process easier, Notepad++ editor can be used to Remove duplicate lines once you copy/paste the terminal buffer into it, but then you run back into the problem of installing software (Notepad++ and TextFX plugin )

If possible, let it run over a weekend with the console running (not going to sleep mode) for a longer duration and check back into the functionality (or stopping point) on a Monday before mounting the train and trying to debug it up there.   That could be done with the board disconnected from outputs (not inputs, those need to be brought with),  to see if it loops properly, so a take home thingy that uses a spare notebook for 72 hours at home of Head Geek.
View Quote
Thank you!

This sounds similar to what I'm hearing from Top_Men.  He is trying to talk our new robotics student through the problem.  He's just 6hrs away in Laramie.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#42]
@guns762

You guys are getting famous!

Your story is featured on the UP employees website

Hallway or Museum? Powell High School Says Both

"Jim Gilman’s high school art class in Powell, Wyoming, is taking its learning outside the classroom by transforming academic hallways and alcoves into lifelike interactive museum exhibits."

Over the last six years, Gilman’s students created permanent displays featuring space exploration, a unicorn family and numerous other murals and big installations. The Powell High School Panthers’ latest exhibit honors Union Pacific’s role in their community.

Large | Powell HS Mine
The student exhibit features a taxidermy bear, train tunnel and mural background.

“UP was a driving force in creating the transcontinental railroad, and fundamental in creating Wyoming and its industries,” Gilman said. “Wyoming’s history, population layout, towns, industry and even today’s politics are all due to UP’s influence.”

In August 2017, the students started construction on an 18-foot, 1/3 scale powered Baldwin 4-4-0 locomotive with a UP tender. The motion-activated train will hover above wall-mounted tracks emerging from a tunnel with moving wheels, lights, bell chimes and a whistle.

“This is all student-created work in my art classroom, working with robotics, welding, woodworking, math, science, English and, of course, history,” Gilman said. “The kids love it.”

The students plan to hang a display box containing a Golden Spike ceremony photograph and small memorabilia, as well as track and Golden Spike re-creation items.

Large | Students Holding Up Rail
Students connecting the rail that will lie beneath the locomotive.

“We are in the final stages of getting ready to hang our ‘Panther’ locomotive,” Gilman said.

The incorporated taxidermy mounts, murals and tunnel are all pieces of student work, taking thousands of hours to complete.

“We wanted this display to include a Wyoming theme, so of course, our train had to be a tribute to UP’s role developing our great state,” Gilman said. “Our ‘Panther’ could only be from one railroad, and that’s UP.”

The train will be on permanent display in the school.

Very cool
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Great news!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Wonderful!
I'd bet that your class is their favorite.
Thanks for having such a good influence on kids and affecting their lives in such a positive and rewarding way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@guns762

You guys are getting famous!

Your story is featured on the UP employees website

Hallway or Museum? Powell High School Says Both

"Jim Gilman’s high school art class in Powell, Wyoming, is taking its learning outside the classroom by transforming academic hallways and alcoves into lifelike interactive museum exhibits."

Over the last six years, Gilman’s students created permanent displays featuring space exploration, a unicorn family and numerous other murals and big installations. The Powell High School Panthers’ latest exhibit honors Union Pacific’s role in their community.

Large | Powell HS Mine
The student exhibit features a taxidermy bear, train tunnel and mural background.

“UP was a driving force in creating the transcontinental railroad, and fundamental in creating Wyoming and its industries,” Gilman said. “Wyoming’s history, population layout, towns, industry and even today’s politics are all due to UP’s influence.”

In August 2017, the students started construction on an 18-foot, 1/3 scale powered Baldwin 4-4-0 locomotive with a UP tender. The motion-activated train will hover above wall-mounted tracks emerging from a tunnel with moving wheels, lights, bell chimes and a whistle.

“This is all student-created work in my art classroom, working with robotics, welding, woodworking, math, science, English and, of course, history,” Gilman said. “The kids love it.”

The students plan to hang a display box containing a Golden Spike ceremony photograph and small memorabilia, as well as track and Golden Spike re-creation items.

Large | Students Holding Up Rail
Students connecting the rail that will lie beneath the locomotive.

“We are in the final stages of getting ready to hang our ‘Panther’ locomotive,” Gilman said.

The incorporated taxidermy mounts, murals and tunnel are all pieces of student work, taking thousands of hours to complete.

“We wanted this display to include a Wyoming theme, so of course, our train had to be a tribute to UP’s role developing our great state,” Gilman said. “Our ‘Panther’ could only be from one railroad, and that’s UP.”

The train will be on permanent display in the school.

https://employees.www.uprr.com/cs/groups/public/@uprr/@corprel/documents/employees_images/img_e_upo_180411_engtender_l.jpg

Very cool
View Quote
Thanks for posting that.   . I wondered if anyone from Arfcom would see that on their website.

She said it would hit their social media page soon as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#46]
One thing about your air hose. A smooth hose is easier to push air through. Something like thishttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php?clickkey=2663025
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
One thing about your air hose. A smooth hose is easier to push air through. Something like thishttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/cache/370-320-/catalog/graphics/SCEET.jpghttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php?clickkey=2663025
View Quote
You are probably right.   I talked to the kids about that when I brought in our cheap hose.   It was the right fit, cheap, and available locally..

Even on the low setting of the dryer, we get decent tone and volume, so what we have is going to work, but its good to acknowledge there could be improvements to the design with something as simple as a smooth tube.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are probably right.   I talked to the kids about that when I brought in our cheap hose.   It was the right fit, cheap, and available locally..

Even on the low setting of the dryer, we get decent tone and volume, so what we have is going to work, but its good to acknowledge there could be improvements to the design with something as simple as a smooth tube.  
View Quote
That Aircraft Spruce tubing I linked is what we use for air intake and brake ducting on the race car . There are much cheaper versions. You potentially could find something on the air intake of a junkyard car even.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#49]
The kids picked these as the designs for the t-shirts.

I'm not quite ready for them to go live yet but hope to get things set up soon.   I was hoping we would be further along with the hanging of the locomotive.

Looks like we might get a chance to find out if both the unicorn and the train will both fit in the trailer.

Couple tweaks in moving the graphics about.

Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That Aircraft Spruce tubing I linked is what we use for air intake and brake ducting on the race car . There are much cheaper versions. You potentially could find something on the air intake of a junkyard car even.
View Quote
Ill have my motor heads look around.  
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top