Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Im too ocd to be able to resist popping and keeping popping that thing if it were on me

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Glad they are going to fix you up.  That is some serious shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update: getting admitted. Got 2 bags of iv antibiotics so far. Doc said he doesn’t feel a big abscess but will decide in the morning if he’s opening it up. Will be here until the culture comes back. Likely MRSA?

Glad they are going to fix you up.  That is some serious shit.

Yep. Absolutely. Regardless of how the infection is there, it needs treatment immediately not tomorrow. Now
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe try a poultice laced with feather moss, and mustard root? mind you drop some water on them, occasionally, to keep them damp.

good luck at the hospital
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you're getting the medical help you need. Keep us updated, OP.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My son got a bite on his arm when he was very young, like 6 or 7. He got oral antibiotics and steroids. I haven't seen steroids mentioned here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Update: 3rd bag of fluid antibiotics now. No ultrasound but they did do an X-ray. I asked them why the X-ray and they said something about it shows the gasses in muscle tissue? Maybe I heard them wrong.

This is a good hospital contrary to the one I went to first so I trust them. I’ll be here until they get the culture back
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Update: 3rd bag of fluid antibiotics now. No ultrasound but they did do an X-ray. I asked them why the X-ray and they said something about it shows the gasses in muscle tissue? Maybe I heard them wrong.

This is a good hospital contrary to the one I went to first so I trust them. I’ll be here until they get the culture back
View Quote

Good!!!!

They are taking it seriously. Glad you went in. Heal up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is a good hospital contrary to the one I went to first so I trust them. I'll be here until they get the culture back
View Quote
Gas? Like Gas Gangrene?
Got anything good for dibs?

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My cultures took 36 hours or so to come back.  Mine were MSSA instead of MRSA and it still sucks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good. Yes gasses.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Threads like this remind me of why they cal it “practicing medicine”.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Vancomycin
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoping for the best OP
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
maybe try a poultice laced with feather moss, and mustard root? mind you drop some water on them, occasionally, to keep them damp.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/totalwar-ar/images/d/d3/Grannie_Hawkins.png

good luck at the hospital [/quote

Add some chewing tobacco.
It does work pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
IBLRO
In before leg Rots off.

I almost lost my foot from Infection from a little scratch.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Threads like this remind me of why they cal it “practicing medicine”.
View Quote

Threads? Lol. Try going to the docs. Their "medical opinions" are like assholes. Everybody has one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No.

Widow envenomation doesn't cause necrosis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black widow I'm guessing. Sorry man.
No.

Agreed. Also, black widow is a musclotoxin. No matter where you get bit, you'll likely get severe abdominal muscle cramps, nausea and pain, sweating and tachycardia.

OP's picture don't show necrosis. That's garden variety cellulitis, likely with some histamine reaction as well. The type of spider doesn't usually matter, at least in this country. Treatment needs to cover common skin pathogens, especially MRSA.

OP, are you having a lot of pain or fevers? Is it hot and tender? Or is it itchy?

(Urgent care MD here)
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Agreed. Also, black widow is a musclotoxin. No matter where you get bit, you'll likely get severe abdominal muscle cramps, nausea and pain, sweating and tachycardia.

OP's picture don't show necrosis. That's garden variety cellulitis, likely with some histamine reaction as well. The type of spider doesn't usually matter, at least in this country. Treatment needs to cover common skin pathogens, especially MRSA.

OP, are you having a lot of pain or fevers? Is it hot and tender? Or is it itchy?

(Urgent care MD here)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black widow I'm guessing. Sorry man.
No.

(Urgent care MD here)

He had strong fever of 101.5 I believe. Even my non doctor ass, only Boy Scout, knows that with the redness/swelling rapidly expanding means “medical treatment right fucking now”
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not a damn spider bite.  People and spiders, good grief.  Spiders aren't like getting a wasp or bee sting.  The spider can't just crawl up your leg and decide it is time to give you a nip either.  Spider bites happen on hands and lower arms and occur when a web is disturbed.  I have known people to get popped by a BW.  They were working in the yard and reached into a dark spot, not realizing that TOUGH web belongs to a BW.  The LADY then got bitten on the hand.  

It is an infected follicle that got MSRA.  Most likely because you inadvertently scratched it with a dirty fingernail.
View Quote

Bullshit, spider bites can happen all over.  They are most common on hands and feet, but I've been bitten (by spiders) on the calf, chest, stomach, and even right behind the ear.  Probably more places that I'm forgetting.  Spend enough time outdoors, and shit happens.  The one behind the ear was actually while lying in bed.  Felt an itch and scratched it, spider didn't like being scratched and bit me.  But I won the fight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

(Urgent care MD here)
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. About to get my 4th bag and will get a 5th at 5am.

Yes a lot of pain in the area. Not as much now as a day or two ago. Just a constant hurt and when I get up from sitting in the recliner or laying down that blood rush down the leg hurts pretty damn good for about 5-10 seconds.

Yes to fevers. 100.7ish. They come and go. Kind of random atleast to me.wound area is hot and very tender. No itch.

I think they’re going to open me up tomorrow considering my room is on the surgery floor lol.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP thats a small abscess from a MRSA infection.  It'll get better if someone can I&D it and get you on some antibiotics like Doxy that offer coverage for it.
View Quote

This is the answer. These lesions are almost always MRSA and almost never from spiders. Spider bites are envenomations, not infections.  The first few days, there usually isn’t pus to drain, but if there is, it needs to be opened. Doxycycline or trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole are the first line antibiotics for it.

Widow bites are incredibly painful with associated muscle spasms, sweating, and vomiting. Loxoscles (recluse) bites have no effective treatment. Most don’t lead to tissue necrosis. Those that do, take weeks or months to heal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I thought the approach/attitude was surprising. If I were a doc, I'd want to get the whole story from the patient. I think it was a case of already having it diagnosed before we even spoke, and the rest was confirmation bias.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Alnen123

I’m not a shingles expert, but it must be exceedingly rare to have a *single* herpes-zoster vesicle from shingles.  Typically, it’s a whole string of them!

One of the things you learn in medicine is to, [gasp], listen to the patient.  I know, sounds crazy.

I thought the approach/attitude was surprising. If I were a doc, I'd want to get the whole story from the patient. I think it was a case of already having it diagnosed before we even spoke, and the rest was confirmation bias.

@Alnen123

Those are often the cases that lead to lawsuits, and the cases where the next doctor doesn’t deviate from the diagnosis because they are lazy or don’t bother to.  You will have several doctors/nurse practitioners see the same patient for the same supposed diagnosis until the patient dies from the actual medical condition!

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Razor blade and some rubbing alcohol.  Put a slice in that thing and squeeze that shit out.
View Quote

And some Oil of Oregano...I keep some handy. It can burn, so you have to apply it with a carrier. I use Neosporin for a carrier.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got three spider bites in my taint..  Yes, the area between my anus and the base of my penis.  There were three separate pairs of puncture marks. I got bitten while staying overnight at a very posh hotel near Vancouver, BC, Canada after attending a relatives wedding on Saturday.

On Monday I went to my primary care doctor and by then it was really red, swollen and nasty.  The doctor gave me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain pills, and gave me a giant shot of antibiotics in my hip.  Doc said the antibiotic load he put in my hip would kill any syphillis, clap, infections he could think of.  

When he first saw the bites his reaction was an unprofessional "GEEZUS!!"   Then he apologized for the unprofessional reaction, but we had had a laugh about it...I could see how if it was the other guy it would be more "interesting".

I ended up with necrotic flesh about the size of a silver dollar before it started to clear up.  Sitting hurt until it healed.

I hate spiders.
View Quote
Tell me you've been neutered without telling me you've been neutered. I bet there used to be some walnuts in an old bag there. If your taint goes starfish to mast, you have some novel geography, buddy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If something pops out singing ''hello my baby, hello my darling, hello my ragtime gal,'' kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

Get well, op.

Hope the alien spider baby doesn't come popping out of there when the Dr. lances it & start
dancing with him

Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Hang in there man. I'll get better and you'll pull through. Keep positive and stay strong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn.  Interested to hear where this goes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:53:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I got bit by a Black Widow in the groin area. It was weird how the spasms migrated from the bite area to all over my body. Never a lot of pain or got nauseated, just spasms.

After about 4 hours, I was fine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Wish you a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dibs on guns and ammo. Nice knowing you OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does kind of look like a recluse bite with the zit/possible beginnings of necrosis.
View Quote

Had something similar bite me on the back. Didnt realize how bad it was until it started burning super bad.

Antibiotics worked wonders
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#33]
That’s it? I had way worse in boot camp on my shin. It just oozed pus for a couple weeks then went away. Another kid got bit on his face. Looked like he got hit with a bat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone here is wrong. That's a guinea worm. (Dracunculiasis) Just starting to poke his filthy head out. Grab it with some pliers and roll it up on a wooden match. A pencil works too. Slow. Don't break it off! I took parasitology. Disgusting course.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Everyone here is wrong. That's a guinea worm. (Dracunculiasis) Just starting to poke his filthy head out. Grab it with some pliers and roll it up on a wooden match. A pencil works too. Slow. Don't break it off! I took parasitology. Disgusting course.

https://www.jica.go.jp/ghana/english/activities/img/img03_01.jpg

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2021/01/Dracunculus_medinensis.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry op. At least it’s not on your dick. Knew a soldier in the field that used a porta potty at night and well…. He had to be admitted to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#37]
That looks like MRSA
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for mentioning that.  I have heart issues and workshop with more than its share of black widows creeping around in the corners, and tachycardia could do me in (almost did* a few months ago).  I tend to tolerate them because spiders don't bother me and I don't kill things unless there is a reason, but it looks like I need to go on an eradication campaign.

*"The patient was found in his car in the highway median. There was questionable seizure activity but Fire First Responders noted V tach, so the patient was shocked. He then went into v fib / arrest and was shocked three more times before achieving ROSC."
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
MSRA infection.
View Quote

Bingo.

Here's what can happen if you don't get it treated right away.
My sister had a POS doctor who told her he'd check it out at her next appointment in a week.
She waited three days, couldn't take it anymore, and went to the ER, where they found this (pic is post-debridement)

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
MSRA infection.
View Quote
Other then the blackhead that is what mine looked like.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bingo.

My sister had a POS doctor who told her he'd check it out at her next appointment in a week.
She waited three days, couldn't take it anymore, and went to the ER, where they found this (pic is post-debridement)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/FullSizeRender-2100246.jpg
View Quote

Fucking hell...
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Props to you OP for at least, after getting the info you needed,
going to the ER. I hope it clears up ok.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got three spider bites in my taint..  Yes, the area between my anus and the base of my penis.  There were three separate pairs of puncture marks. I got bitten while staying overnight at a very posh hotel near Vancouver, BC, Canada after attending a relatives wedding on Saturday.

On Monday I went to my primary care doctor and by then it was really red, swollen and nasty.  The doctor gave me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain pills, and gave me a giant shot of antibiotics in my hip.  Doc said the antibiotic load he put in my hip would kill any syphillis, clap, infections he could think of.  

When he first saw the bites his reaction was an unprofessional "GEEZUS!!"   Then he apologized for the unprofessional reaction, but we had had a laugh about it...I could see how if it was the other guy it would be more "interesting".

I ended up with necrotic flesh about the size of a silver dollar before it started to clear up.  Sitting hurt until it healed.

I hate spiders.
View Quote

Dat taint rite
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bullshit, spider bites can happen all over.  They are most common on hands and feet, but I've been bitten (by spiders) on the calf, chest, stomach, and even right behind the ear.  Probably more places that I'm forgetting.  Spend enough time outdoors, and shit happens.  The one behind the ear was actually while lying in bed.  Felt an itch and scratched it, spider didn't like being scratched and bit me.  But I won the fight.
View Quote

I sleep and recreate in the woods all the time, in hammocks and tents.  Spiders aren't a threat but their eyes sure reflect flashlights.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Bingo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/FullSizeRender-2100246.jpg
View Quote

classic pilonidal cyst.  Nasty ass right there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#46]
We didn't have that crap growing up because we had Mercurochrome and it was used on us liberally by any available parent or grandmother. If you were a kid and not covered in orange/red blotches, you were a geeky nerd. The term ''it stings because it's killing the germs'' was used quite frequently. As a kid, you have to appreciate something that is making germs die an agonizing death while screaming in soundless pain.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

classic pilonidal cyst.  Nasty ass right there.
View Quote

Negative.  She fell hard on her coccyx.  The wound got MRSA.
See those light lines radiating lateraly?  The staph tunneled under the skin and resulted in this:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#48]
PSA for the non-medical:

If we look at the OP’s pic, there’s a dark point of entry site that may be a spider bite, infected hair follicle, splinter or other breech of the skin;

The surrounding redness is cellulitis, which is a diffuse, non-pocket of infection amongst the cells;  if you look closely at the breech point, there’s a white “head” or pustule pushing up from an abscess, thinning the skin & screaming—I’m an abscess—DRAIN ME—I’m causing cellulitis and antibiotics cannot penetrate the abscess wall.

There may be decent ER PAs, NPs or physicians—but I seldom encounter them—patients get a sepsis work-up, CT, U/S, MRI and infectious disease consult when all the ER idiot needs to do is lance/I&D an abscess before it progresses to a bigger abscess & more cellulitis.

Eventually, a surgeon gets called to drain the abscess that’s the size of a half-dollar—which should have been the first step—not the last…

Feel better OP
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Negative.  She fell hard on her coccyx.  The wound got MRSA.
See those light lines radiating lateraly?  The staph tunneled under the skin and resulted in this:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

du fuck...

That is double nasty!  poor lady.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have been bitten twice by brown recluse spiders and still have the scars. Go back to the emergency room. Why are you wasting time asking the folks in GD?
View Quote
He didn't come to arfcom first.

He went to the ER twice already and he keeps getting worse.

He is coming to arfcom for answers and personal experience from others.

Suggestion to go to a different hospital was accepted.

Brown Recluse, MRSA infection and fungal infection has been discussed as encouragement to get treated elsewhere.

I got thorned pretty good by a rose bush and within a short time was pretty bad. Since I knew what stuck me, urgent care doc had a pretty good idea what it was. She gave me meds for a fungal infection. Been thorned by things before and never had that happen and was surprised by the speed of the infection.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top