Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder that every time there is one of these threads.
View Quote
This isn't one of those threads. He went to the ER twice already.

This is a "I don't think medical treatment is working thread", not a scared to go to the doctor thread.

Completely different.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you're getting good care OP. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m going to agree with everyone saying it’s not a spider doing that. I have a scar on my leg where a fiddleback got me and it looked nothing like that. I spent several days very painfully scrubbing dying tissue out of the wound but it never had a head like that, yours is an infection of some kind.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got three spider bites in my taint..  Yes, the area between my anus and the base of my penis.  There were three separate pairs of puncture marks. I got bitten while staying overnight at a very posh hotel near Vancouver, BC, Canada after attending a relatives wedding on Saturday.

On Monday I went to my primary care doctor and by then it was really red, swollen and nasty.  The doctor gave me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain pills, and gave me a giant shot of antibiotics in my hip.  Doc said the antibiotic load he put in my hip would kill any syphillis, clap, infections he could think of.  

When he first saw the bites his reaction was an unprofessional "GEEZUS!!"   Then he apologized for the unprofessional reaction, but we had had a laugh about it...I could see how if it was the other guy it would be more "interesting".

I ended up with necrotic flesh about the size of a silver dollar before it started to clear up.  Sitting hurt until it healed.

I hate spiders.
View Quote
"Jesus!  Nurse get in here now. Call ambulance for immediate transport to hospital. And for the Love of God, cancel my trip to Vancouver."

"Don't worry son. It's just that's a personal terror infection sight for any man. Kind of got to me."
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

du fuck...

That is double nasty!  poor lady.
View Quote

I think she nearly died.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think she nearly died.
View Quote

No doubt, she was well on her way based on the pictures.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That looks like MRSA
View Quote

This.  Most “spider bites” are staph boils.  Believe it or not it’s the truth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad they are taking it seriously OP. My brother got a MRSA boil in his elbow and the hospital dragged their feet on diagnosis.  The surgeon refused to do anything, but after a week there was a sympathetic nurse who opened him up to drain. Later they said she saved his arm. He spent several weeks with a PICC and antibiotics before the infection was beat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow that sucks. Hopefully it gets under control.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
‘I&D’ is irrigate and debride, basically draining the would, flushing it out and removing any dead tissue.
View Quote

“Irrigate and debride” is a procedure usually for bone and joint infections.

Incision and drainage (I&D) is usually for abscesses. OP definitely has some cellulitis with what looks like an early formation of an abscess.

(Urgent care NP).
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks like MRSA

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  Spiders are dirty little critters, and their bite can often lead to a staph infection.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Negative.  She fell hard on her coccyx.  The wound got MRSA.
See those light lines radiating lateraly?  The staph tunneled under the skin and resulted in this:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Wow. Did it heal ok?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We didn't have that crap growing up because we had Mercurochrome and it was used on us liberally by any available parent or grandmother. If you were a kid and not covered in orange/red blotches, you were a geeky nerd. The term ''it stings because it's killing the germs'' was used quite frequently. As a kid, you have to appreciate something that is making germs die an agonizing death while screaming in soundless pain.

View Quote
fxntime, what is best in life?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember years ago taking my grandpa in for surgery a brown recluse bite on his inner thigh. They cut it all out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo.

Here's what can happen if you don't get it treated right away.
My sister had a POS doctor who told her he'd check it out at her next appointment in a week.
She waited three days, couldn't take it anymore, and went to the ER, where they found this (pic is post-debridement)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/FullSizeRender-2100246.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSRA infection.

Bingo.

Here's what can happen if you don't get it treated right away.
My sister had a POS doctor who told her he'd check it out at her next appointment in a week.
She waited three days, couldn't take it anymore, and went to the ER, where they found this (pic is post-debridement)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/FullSizeRender-2100246.jpg

Asked and answered.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

See those light lines radiating lateraly?  The staph tunneled under the skin and resulted in this:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

classic pilonidal cyst.  Nasty ass right there.

Click To View Spoiler

Damn that’s horrible. I’ve read stories of people getting MRSA from just hard impacts. MRSA is one of my phobias.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We didn't have that crap growing up because we had Mercurochrome and it was used on us liberally by any available parent or grandmother. If you were a kid and not covered in orange/red blotches, you were a geeky nerd. The term ''it stings because it's killing the germs'' was used quite frequently. As a kid, you have to appreciate something that is making germs die an agonizing death while screaming in soundless pain.

View Quote
Mercurochrome could turn gangrene around in about eight hours. I don't know why they canceled it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got three spider bites in my taint..  Yes, the area between my anus and the base of my penis.  There were three separate pairs of puncture marks. I got bitten while staying overnight at a very posh hotel near Vancouver, BC, Canada after attending a relatives wedding on Saturday.

On Monday I went to my primary care doctor and by then it was really red, swollen and nasty.  The doctor gave me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain pills, and gave me a giant shot of antibiotics in my hip.  Doc said the antibiotic load he put in my hip would kill any syphillis, clap, infections he could think of.  

When he first saw the bites his reaction was an unprofessional "GEEZUS!!"   Then he apologized for the unprofessional reaction, but we had had a laugh about it...I could see how if it was the other guy it would be more "interesting".

I ended up with necrotic flesh about the size of a silver dollar before it started to clear up.  Sitting hurt until it healed.

I hate spiders.
View Quote

Dude... Just... Why the fuck would you share that story without a spoiler tag or something!

Jeezuz! I'm never going to sleep in a hotel again now!

Did you tell your wife to kiss it and make it feel better?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two horses to pull your plow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry op. At least it’s not on your dick. Knew a soldier in the field that used a porta potty at night and well…. He had to be admitted to.
View Quote

Prior to the introduction of modern indoor plumbing, the genitals was the most common place for a man to be bitten by BW's.

Fuck the past!
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Had me a golf ball sized chunk of tissue removed from my thigh thanks to a brown recluse…insult to injury was a newly discovered allergy to penacillin based antibiotics…went in to a sulphur base one from back in olden days…next option would have been vancomycin
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah.. you don't want to fuck around with stuff like that.

Ask me how I know....  

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know....  

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Questions

You keep your foot?

Diabetes?

Initial injury?

OP, how are you doing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Jesus!  Nurse get in here now. Call ambulance for immediate transport to hospital. And for the Love of God, cancel my trip to Vancouver."

"Don't worry son. It's just that's a personal terror infection sight for any man. Kind of got to me."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate spiders.

I think he got bit by a monkey
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Prior to the introduction of modern indoor plumbing, the genitals was the most common place for a man to be bitten by BW's.

Fuck the past!
View Quote

Old guy here, You always keep a stick in there to run around the hole to knock the spider webs down. And don't forget to ruffle up the sears catalog page before using.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know....  

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I see your.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know....  

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

And
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck this escalated quickly
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#31]
pro tip guys:  keep your diabetes, cholesterol, and BP under control.  And don’t smoke
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Note to self. Don't F around if you see something like that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuck this escalated quickly
View Quote

Spidey bite exits the thread. Diabetes enters game with +25 rotten flesh and amputation.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I mean, thank god we are a safe family friendly site and can't post bikini or cleavage pics am I right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

MRSA.

This right here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSRA infection.

MRSA.

This right here.

Came for this. My buddy had what he thought was a spider bite in same spot. Was MRSA. He ended up with a nice chunk of flesh cut out of his thigh. Several weeks of hefty IV antibiotics.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#37]
When my daughter was 11, she got a blister on her heel from roller blading. Went to her doc twice in a 2 week time frame and was told both times it was just a blister I knew it was not just a blister.

Went to the ER at Wake Med and she was admitted. PICC line was put in, wound was cleaned of bad tissue and antibiotics were started. MRSA.

We pushed IV antibiotics at home for 3 weeks and it had started to heal. The infection had gotten into her heel bone and it took a surgery to fix that.

We found a new pediatrician.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Proud of you for going to the ER right away OP, sometimes people can't take the hint, but you didn't need any extra prompting from us. Get better soon!
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mercurochrome could turn gangrene around in about eight hours. I don't know why they canceled it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has mercury in it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know....  

Click To View Spoiler

Questions

You keep your foot?  Yes

Diabetes?  No

Initial injury?  Triple Arthrodesis due to osteoarthritis (with a MRSA kicker)

OP, how are you doing? Fine now, but it was a long haul with the specter of losing my foot.

I had a co-worker up in the Tampa area that played mister hard ass about a minor infection resulting from a cut while turning wrenches. He ended up losing a finger and the ER docs said he was a day away from losing his hand.

I'll say this much...after that discussion during one of our work group meetings and my Dad's battle against MRSA after cancer treatments...I will NOT fuck around with infections. If they don't clear up in a day or two...off to the doctor I go. Better to pay a small co-pay than to lose a limb.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@Alnen123

I’m not a shingles expert, but it must be exceedingly rare to have a *single* herpes-zoster vesicle from shingles.  Typically, it’s a whole string of them!

One of the things you learn in medicine is to, [gasp], listen to the patient.  I know, sounds crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks identical to one I had. My doctor was an absolute retard and told me "no, that's not a bug bite. You've got shingles." This was after I told them I was in the woods, got bit, and saw the spider that did the biting. They completely disregarded my account. After insisting, they finally took a culture. 2 weeks later, after it finally turned the corner and started to look better, they called and told me I was positive for 3 types of bacteria and I needed to start antibiotics immediately. I pressed them more just to hear them say it, and they finally admitted it was a bug bite and not shingles, lol

@Alnen123

I’m not a shingles expert, but it must be exceedingly rare to have a *single* herpes-zoster vesicle from shingles.  Typically, it’s a whole string of them!

One of the things you learn in medicine is to, [gasp], listen to the patient.  I know, sounds crazy.

I have a coworker that sprained his ankle playing badminton.  We told him RICE and ibuprofen.  He ignored us and it got worse to the point he went to the ER.  Despite him explaining that he sprained it and exactly how he sprained it, the ER doc decided it was septic arthritis.  He was admitted and put on IV antibiotics for several days, which not surprisingly didn't help the sprain but it did wipe out all the bacteria in his intestines.  He eventually left the hospital AMA and went to a competent doctor. IIRC he got some prescription anti-inflammatory drugs and told to rest it, ice it down, put a compression bandage on it and try to elevate it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Proud of you for going to the ER right away OP, sometimes people can't take the hint, but you didn't need any extra prompting from us. Get better soon!
View Quote

I agree now if we could get people to stop using the ER for primary care non emergencies.
 When I went in last 3/4 of the very busy ER was laughing and joking around.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Incision and drainage (I&D) is usually for abscesses. OP definitely has some cellulitis with what looks like an early formation of an abscess.

(Urgent care NP).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
‘I&D’ is irrigate and debride, basically draining the would, flushing it out and removing any dead tissue.

(Urgent care NP).

I would expect an NP to know irrigate means wash out, it isn’t exclusive to bone.  I irrigate after perforated bowel stuff, be it an appy, sigmoid colon, small bowel perf, all the time, no bones involved.  Not in my AO.

Debride means cut out dead tissue.  It can be bone, muscle, skin, fat, lung—it’s dead tissue that’s food to bacteria & releasing potassium & other once intracellular/contained crap into the patient & bacterial spooge, too.

Just a general surgeon for 30 years….but if this is what NPs are taught, no wonder ERs & urgent cares are messed up—poor education.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#44]
That's gonna leave a mark.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been bitten twice by brown recluse spiders and still have the scars. Go back to the emergency room. Why are you wasting time asking the folks in GD?

Because if we can skip a $1k ER visit for something that may be nothing, we will
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread could use a whole bottle of Hibiclens.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Threads? Lol. Try going to the docs. Their "medical opinions" are like assholes. Everybody has one.
View Quote
What happened to the knee bursitis and staph guy with a 20" wound dressing on that other thread?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Glad OP is demanding care and taking this seriously.  These kind of wounds are no joke.  

Fomer coworker was doing yard work one weekend and thought he was bitten by a spider on his upper thigh.  He watched it and the site continued to get worse.  On the third day afterward, he went to the ER.  They immediately began surgical intervention and antibiotics.  Two days later he was overwhelmed by sepsis and died.  The guy was young and healthy otherwise.    
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fuck the past!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry op. At least it’s not on your dick. Knew a soldier in the field that used a porta potty at night and well…. He had to be admitted to.

Fuck the past!

Once a few years ago when I lifted my toilet seat to take a piss there was a giant hobo spider all compacted in a hollow on the underside.

As soon as I saw it, it popped up and put its front legs up.

To this day I never sit on a toilet without checking under the seat.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top