BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am REALLY liking this new camera.

I shot this last night directly under a near 3/4 moon.  This is only 1 hour of imaging (12, 5 minute subs) with a Ha filter.  I planned on shooting more tonight to get even better detail, but clouds have moved in for the week it looks like.

I can't wait to get an OIII filter so I can start shooting the Hubble Palette.

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/horsehead-ha-60-min.2897/full
View Quote
Very nice.
I'm convinced, I have abandoned my OSC ASI294 purchase and I'm getting the ASI1600 Pro kit next month.
I should get a decent mount first, but I want to start taking pics....
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am REALLY liking this new camera.

I shot this last night directly under a near 3/4 moon.  This is only 1 hour of imaging (12, 5 minute subs) with a Ha filter.  I planned on shooting more tonight to get even better detail, but clouds have moved in for the week it looks like.

I can't wait to get an OIII filter so I can start shooting the Hubble Palette.

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/horsehead-ha-60-min.2897/full 
View Quote
Nice!

Get yourself a S2 and OIII filter now.

Also make sure you are dithering, with that camera and scope it should be a large dither movement
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Moon Mavic by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Now you are just showing off...
Good job!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now you are just showing off...
Good job!
View Quote
Started reading up on moon silhouette techniques and went down a pretty deep rabbit hole.  My challenge was to have my DOF deep enough for both the drone and the moon to be in focus, but for 600mm at f/11 the drone would have to be something like 2500 feet up.  At 300mm (that shot) it drops down to about 1500 feet.  I can certainly fly that high, but the drone would be near invisible and almost impossible to fly in front of the moon.

That hyperfocal distance is a harsh mistress.

Here's the "obverse" of that shot, drone sharp and moon blurry.

Mavic Moon by FredMan, on Flickr

Then I drifted off into the "large moon" technique.  You know, like this (not my shot!):

Attachment Attached File

Turns out there's a whole bunch of math involved in setting up shots like that, not to mention timing and location.  And then there's shooting distance; to get the moon that big it was shot from 1300 meters, or about 8/10 of a mile.  He used an 800mm with a 2x teleconverter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice!

Get yourself a S2 and OIII filter now.

Also make sure you are dithering, with that camera and scope it should be a large dither movement
View Quote
I need to get them, but I'll have to save up.  It is hard to believe the prices they get for just a small piece of glass!

I am dithering, but only using #8 on the dither setting.  I tried #10, but that seemed excessive and was taking away too much of my field of view due to cropping.

With the days getting longer and it not getting dark until after 8 pm, I don't have much time during the week to shoot astrophotos.  But, when it is clear out, I still set up for at least and hour of imaging.

Last night I shot the Seagull with my mono camera and a hydrogen alpha filter.  I need to buy an OIII and SII filter so that I can make hubble palatte images, but for now, I will have to settle for B&W.  Narrow band imaging sure works great in light pollution, and even with a bright near full moon.

This is 17, 5 minute exposures.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The O III is $80 1.2" from Amazon, but the SII is a bit on the insane side of pricing in the mid 3 digits, depending on size.  

Though I suppose you need a different format filter to insert pre-camera for a color wheel or similar.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0007UQNWM
View Quote
That is a visual OIII not meant for imaging
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I need to get them, but I'll have to save up.  It is hard to believe the prices they get for just a small piece of glass!

I am dithering, but only using #8 on the dither setting.  I tried #10, but that seemed excessive and was taking away too much of my field of view due to cropping.

With the days getting longer and it not getting dark until after 8 pm, I don't have much time during the week to shoot astrophotos.  But, when it is clear out, I still set up for at least and hour of imaging.

Last night I shot the Seagull with my mono camera and a hydrogen alpha filter.  I need to buy an OIII and SII filter so that I can make hubble palatte images, but for now, I will have to settle for B&W.  Narrow band imaging sure works great in light pollution, and even with a bright near full moon.

This is 17, 5 minute exposures.

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/swan-in-ha-small.2910/full
View Quote
I might see if I can get the same mount as you at NEAF on sale, I like that it has a belt drive.

I paid two grand for this mount and its shit.  I swear celestron is becoming the Remington of astronomy
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It's been 2,592 orbits since I did one of these, but here's tonight's second transit.  I completely missed the 8:00 showing, that one was almost directly overhead.

ISS Transit Ephemeris 20190323 by FredMan, on Flickr ISS Track 20190323 by FredMan, on Flickr

153 second exposure, 11mm, ISO 400

ISS Transit 20190323 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
With galaxy season starting, I am thinking of getting a longer focal length scope.

I'm kind of torn on getting an 8" f4 imaging newtonian or saving up and getting a 1000mm Mak Newt.

I really don't care for diffraction spikes in images and the Mak newt will fix that, but it is 3x the money.  I am wondering if I should just pick up something like a GSO 8" f4 newt and see how it goes.  I can get one, with the correct coma corrector for $499 shipped.  The Skywatcher 190mm MN is $1550.00.

I am spending WAY too much on astrophotograpy
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems to be a common observation in this thread.  I've chosen to wisely look at what you guys come up with instead.  Fewer bug bites and a lot more affordable, so I very much appreciate you sharing the fruits of the hobby!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With galaxy season starting, I am thinking of getting a longer focal length scope.

I'm kind of torn on getting an 8" f4 imaging newtonian or saving up and getting a 1000mm Mak Newt.

I really don't care for diffraction spikes in images and the Mak newt will fix that, but it is 3x the money.  I am wondering if I should just pick up something like a GSO 8" f4 newt and see how it goes.  I can get one, with the correct coma corrector for $499 shipped.  The Skywatcher 190mm MN is $1550.00.

Seems to be a common observation in this thread.  I've chosen to wisely look at what you guys come up with instead.  Fewer bug bites and a lot more affordable, so I very much appreciate you sharing the fruits of the hobby!!
Yup.
I took down my ED80 an set up my 9.25SCT with an 6.3 focal reducer last night - I was going to try imaging M101.
But I have installed some new imaging software on my computer and by the time I figured out how to get it all integrated and working it was too late to get any usable astro images (funny how that goes).
It's high overcast here tonight so I'll have to wait to try again...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a fast Newt, it was a huge piece of shit.   You couldn't look at it without it losing collimation.  Sold it within a year.  I doubt I'll ever get another one, maybe an edge HD or a nicer mak
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a fast Newt, it was a huge piece of shit.   You couldn't look at it without it losing collimation.  Sold it within a year.  I doubt I'll ever get another one, maybe an edge HD or a nicer mak
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm always fiddling with collimation on my SCT.
I was actually looking at a larger refractor yesterday but was amazed at how fast the prices climb with aperture!!!
I'm going to run with my 9.25SCT and hopefully next month spend my astro saving account to purchase the ASI1600 with at least the LRGB-Ha filter set (dang you guys!).  But a Hyperstar would be nice.
Then after that I REALLY need a decent mount!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Think I have my scope issues figured out.  Took off every piece of my gear and tested it bit by bit looking for the flaw.   Eventually led me to the lens housing itself after an hour or two.   One of the collimation screws was loose, tightened it back up and everything is looking good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I finally got a chance to set up my new capture program (APT) and figured out how to interface it with my mount, image, and guide cameras.
I set up my C9.25 SCT with f6.3 reducer last night to see if I could actually capture anything.
I decided on M101 (Pinwheel Galaxy) even though it's a very faint target.
Since I still don't have my ASI1600MM Pro (hopefully they WILL go on sale next month) I used my Nikon D90 DSLR (a terrible choice for this target).
Never-the-less, I shot 3.5 hours of two minute subs - no where near enough on this target but enough to see if my new setup will work.
With my DSLR I really need about eight hours of data so I had to stretch it out into the noise to get an image.
Here is my test image - the overstretched Lights & Darks, no flats or bias, of M101:
But I'm satisfied that my new setup will work when I get my new camera.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well I finally got a chance to set up my new capture program (APT) and figured out how to interface it with my mount, image, and guide cameras.
I set up my C9.25 SCT with f6.3 reducer last night to see if I could actually capture anything.
Since I still don't have my ASI1600MM Pro (hopefully they WILL go on sale next month) I used my Nikon D90 DSLR (a terrible choice for this target).
Never-the-less, I shot 3.5 hours of two minute subs - no where near enough on this target but enough to see if my new setup will work.
With my DSLR I really need about eight hours of data so I had to stretch it out into the noise to get an image.
Here is my test image - the overstretched Lights & Darks, no flats or bias, of M101:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/M101f_jpg-896580.JPG
View Quote
@AZ_Sky
Very cool man!   I'm hoping that I can shoot 101 tonight if the weather holds.

Are you dithering with your new software?   It will help with noise, plus you can drizzle which will double the size of you image without loss of quality.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@AZ_Sky

Are you dithering with your new software?   It will help with noise, plus you can drizzle which will double the size of you image without loss of quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/M101f_jpg-896580.JPG
@AZ_Sky

@Ciraxis

Yes, I'm dithering but I'm still trying to zero in on dithering distance vs settling time - actually, it's going to change once I get the ASI1600 so I'm not spending a lot of time figuring it out for the DSLR.

I have the ASI1600MM Pro, LRGB + Ha, and Mini Filter Wheel sitting in the cart right now ($1448 shipped) - I'm just working up the courage to hit 'Submit'....
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Ciraxis

Yes, I'm dithering but I'm still trying to zero in on dithering distance vs settling time - actually, it's going to change once I get the ASI1600 so I'm not spending a lot of time figuring it out for the DSLR.

I have the ASI1600MM Pro, LRGB + Ha, and Mini Filter Wheel sitting in the cart right now ($1448 shipped) - I'm just working up the courage to hit 'Submit'....
View Quote
All of ZWWOs stuff is 10% off right now
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
@jdraizor

Sweet shot!   Details?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ciraxis

@Ciraxis
Yup!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have any of you guys done the phases of Venus?    Could be tied in with annalemma?

https://i.imgur.com/pgieH2F.jpg
View Quote
love watching the phases of venus. Here is an mspaint of the path it would trace around the sun if you took a picture every day with the sun at the same altitude as well as how it looks through a telescope at different parts. it wouldn't really follow an annalemma type shape, but similar to what is shown on their picture. We watch the nearly edge on orbit of the planet

Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Scope is set up, did some star tests, stills seems off to me.   I need to do more messing around but my hands are froze, going to let it run over night regardless.  Stars looked good on half the frame, not so much on the other half, might be titlt but I'm guessing I may need to tweak the three screws that collimate the lens.   I did mess with them outside but what a pain in the cold
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet!    What software are you using to run everything?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Scope is set up, did some star tests, stills seems off to me.   I need to do more messing around but my hands are froze, going to let it run over night regardless.  Stars looked good on half the frame, not so much on the other half, might be titlt but I'm guessing I may need to tweak the three screws that collimate the lens.   I did mess with them outside but what a pain in the cold
View Quote
I think they make special lens collimating eyepieces that make it pretty easy.  You are shooting a triplet, aren't you?  I've also seen it done with lasers.

Good luck in any case.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#32]
You are going to be literally blown away by what you can do with this system.  I am getting SO much cleaner results that are so easy to calibrate and get completely smooth illumination across the field.  With my DSLR, I always had to do a ton of work to get anything even slightly acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally had a clear night last night, I only had time to shoot luminance and not RGB, so this is only black and white for now. I will shoot the RGB and Ha filters when I get another clear night.

The Leo Triplet, 40, 2 minute subs.

Stellarvue SV80 Access
SFF3-25-48 Field Flattener
ZWO ASI183MM Pro
EQ6-R Pro

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Finally had a clear night last night, I only had time to shoot luminance and not RGB, so this is only black and white for now. I will shoot the RGB and Ha filters when I get another clear night.

The Leo Triplet, 40, 2 minute subs.

Stellarvue SV80 Access
SFF3-25-48 Field Flattener
ZWO ASI183MM Pro
EQ6-R Pro

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/leo-triplet-lum-small.2937/full
View Quote
Isn't it great the detail you get with these cameras?

My lens is still fucked, stars are all weird.   I need to adjust it again once I have time, I'll probably make an artificial star again to test it.  I may just end up getting a new scope soon anyways, I've been wanting to upgrade the optics.   I still want to fix it though, mostly because I want to learn how its done.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Isn't it great the detail you get with these cameras?

My lens is still fucked, stars are all weird.   I need to adjust it again once I have time, I'll probably make an artificial star again to test it.  I may just end up getting a new scope soon anyways, I've been wanting to upgrade the optics.   I still want to fix it though, mostly because I want to learn how its done.  
View Quote
It sure is!

You have an Explore Scientific scope, don't you?  They have a Lifetime Warranty and will collimate your scope for you for free if you send it in.

I've read that collimating triplets is possible, but it is much harder than doublets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It sure is!

You have an Explore Scientific scope, don't you?  They have a Lifetime Warranty and will collimate your scope for you for free if you send it in.

I've read that collimating triplets is possible, but it is much harder than doublets.
View Quote
I'm going to call them today to send it in.  Now is the best time because galaxy season is a bit of a wash for me, but Cygnus is rising around 2am now and I want to get some long deep exposures on that so the sooner its fixed the better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@jdraizor

Sweet shot!   Details?
View Quote
I can't remember all the details on exposure lengths and quantity, but it was shot with a Canon 5DS and a 300 F4.0 with a Sky Guider Pro. Post processing done with trial version of pixinsight.

Here is another of Andromeda, same setup as before.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't remember all the details on exposure lengths and quantity, but it was shot with a Canon 5DS and a 300 F4.0 with a Sky Guider Pro. Post processing done with trial version of pixinsight.

Here is another of Andromeda, same setup as before.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171130/Andromeda_Small_jpg-899568.JPG
View Quote
Nice, I wish I could fit all of Andromeda into a shot without having to do a mosaic
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#39]
It's here!!!
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro and ZWO Mini filter wheel with LRGB+Ha filters.
I got it installed and everything seems to be working with my software (Astro Photography Tools), I do need to get some proper cables and improve my cable securing though.
Now I need to see if I can get focus - unfortunately (like always) according to the weather forecast, the sky is going to be 85% obscured for the next ten days...
But I'm excited to make my next captures - gonna be a new learning curve all over again!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's here!!!
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro and ZWO Mini filter wheel with LRGB+Ha filters.
I got it installed and everything seems to be working with my software (Astro Photography Tools), I do need to get some proper cables and improve my cable securing though.
Now I need to see if I can get focus - unfortunately (like always) according to the weather forecast, the sky is going to be 85% obscured for the next ten days...
But I'm excited to make my next captures - gonna be a new learning curve all over again!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/ZWO_ASI1600MM_PRO_jpg-900278.JPG
View Quote
Awesome!   You are going to be happy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, the weather finally cooperated enough for me to set up with the new ASI1600MM PRO.
This is going to take some getting used to.
I shot M101 again.
After coming somewhat up to speed I managed to shoot 2 hours of Lum bin 1x1, 30 min each of RGB bin 2x2, flats and darks.
Processing is going to be a huge learning curve.
I'm going to try and set up tonight to shoot more data to improve the S/N ratio so I don't have to stretch it as hard.
It's a little rough, but here's my first attempt:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is that rotated 90 ?

Trying to identify star on edge.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the weather finally cooperated enough for me to set up with the new ASI1600MM PRO.
I shot M101 again.
After coming somewhat up to speed I managed to shoot 2 hours of Lum bin 1x1, 30 min each of RGB bin 2x2, flats and darks.
I'm going to try and set up tonight to shoot more data to improve the S/N ratio so I don't have to stretch it as hard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/M101r_jpg-905600.JPG
Is that rotated 90 ?

Trying to identify star on edge.  
That star would be HIP68621 / SAO 28988 / HD 122865.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I shot M101 again.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/M101r_jpg-906204.JPG
View Quote
That looks great, especially for such short total integration!

So, are you happy with the ASI1600?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, since galaxy season is here, I ordered a new scope.

At first I ordered an Explore Scientific 152mm Maksutov Newtonian, a 730mm F4.3 scope, but when it arrived the secondary was tilted and when I went to collimate it, I found that the corrector lens was very loose and easy to turn by hand.

I sent the scope back and was going to just get a replacement.  BUT, a little more pocket money arrived and I ordered a Skywatcher MN190 Maksutov Newtonian instead, it is a 1000mm F5.2 scope.   This will work a lot better for smaller objects and is further away from my 560mm scope in focal length.

From the photos I've seen on Astrobin, the optics look to be extremely good.  I won't be able to use it for a while though since storm systems and clouds seem to be parked right over my back yard for the foreseeable future
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shot M101 again.

So far I have only had the one chance to shoot with it due to weather and clouds.
But my initial thoughts are totally positive!

At first I thought it would be a pain in the ass to deal with filters and a monochrome sensor, but the electronic filter wheel and the ability to create a hands-off total image capturing plan in my software makes LRGB imaging a no brainer.
And I really like the TEC cooling, that alone makes the camera light years (excuse the pun) ahead of shooting with an uncooled DSLR as far as noise goes.
Post processing is proving to be a steep learning curve but I'm not going to sweat it yet because I think my short integration time is also part of the problem, once I get some real data to work with I think I'll be able to work out some of the processing problems I'm experiencing.

Yeah - I'm glad you guys kept hammering on me to drop the OSC and go MONO, I can't wait for nebula season to come around again...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So far I have only had the one chance to shoot with it due to weather and clouds.

At first I thought it would be a pain in the ass to deal with filters and a monochrome sensor, but the electronic filter wheel and the ability to create a hands-off total image capturing plan in my software makes LRGB imaging a no brainer.
And I really like the TEC cooling, that alone makes the camera light years (excuse the pun) ahead of shooting with an uncooled DSLR as far as noise goes.
Post processing is proving to be a steep learning curve but I'm not going to sweat it yet because I think my short integration time is also part of the problem, once I get some real data to work with I think I'll be able to work out some of the processing problems I'm experiencing.

Yeah - I'm glad you guys kept hammering on me to drop the OSC and go MONO, I can't wait for nebula season to come around again...
View Quote
There are some nebulas still up, and more are coming shortly.  I also shot M101 with my new asi183MM Pro.  I have around 6 hours into it, including about an hour of Ha.  I was shooting with a 560mm refractor though and the moon was pretty bright out all night. I had also set the backfocus to the field flattener WAY too close, so it wasn't as sharp as it could have been.

This is what I got, cropped in.  Yours looks better, with less integration.  This was my first LRGB+Ha image with the camera.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There are some nebulas still up, and more are coming shortly.  I also shot M101 with my new asi183MM Pro.  I have around 6 hours into it, including about an hour of Ha.  I was shooting with a 560mm refractor though and the moon was pretty bright out all night. I had also set the backfocus to the field flattener WAY too close, so it wasn't as sharp as it could have been.

This is what I got, cropped in.  Yours looks better, with less integration.  This was my first LRGB+Ha image with the camera.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111224/M101_Small_jpg-908206.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111224/M101_Small_jpg-908206.JPG
Yeah, I was trying to decide on either the ASI183MM vs the ASI1600MM, they both have good points and I was worried about the 1600 pixel size but I think I can work with it.
I shot M101 with my 9.25SCT and a f6.3 reducer (that also isn't set at the proper focus point) which ended up system wise being a focal length of 1385mm @ f6.3.
My old CG5 mount was at its limit but it guided at a total rms error of 1.5 arc seconds for the duration which is more than I like but it's what I have until I upgrade the mount.
I'm going to try and get 6 to 8 hours of integration on M101, I do have a Ha filter but I'm not sure what it will bring to the image - I suppose I could add in a few hours of Ha also.
I can already tell that I'll be spending a lot of time in the dark in my back yard this summer!
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I shot M101 again.

View Quote
@AZ_Sky

Sweet, you are going to love that camera.    Trust me, the OSC cameras just aren't worth it, with software these days being able to control the filter wheel and with auto focus you can just set it and forget it*

I would definitely add some HA data to that shot, it will really bring out the bright knots of nebula in the arms.

*totally not true in most cases
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top