BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.
Is that an hour and a half on each LRGB filter?
View Quote
Nah, thats total time.   Really what I'm hoping to get one day is 4 hours of luminance, 4 hours of ha and around an hour of each rgb filter.

I would probably divide the luminance data up into short and long exposures.

Thats also awesome about the laptop!   Your setup is getting better and better.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can you show the same image with and without flat and dark file, and without both, along with that file?  4 images total from stack is request, would be a horrible PITA to process and post?  i.e. do you need to start over the entire stack/align process for leaving one or other out, or is it a final operation after the "heavy work" is done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Orion from last night, this is only about an hour and a half worth of imaging.   I only get a small window of time in that part of the sky from my backyard.   I was too lazy to go set up at the dark site, plus it was only about 1 degree out.

If I get another clear night soon I'll do longer exposures and shorter ones to blend the image, plus some Ha.

https://i.imgur.com/N1TJVHp.jpg

Also I rushed to do my flats this morning and screwed them up, so I need to redo them all tonight when I get home, I also need to update my master dark file.
Can you show the same image with and without flat and dark file, and without both, along with that file?  4 images total from stack is request, would be a horrible PITA to process and post?  i.e. do you need to start over the entire stack/align process for leaving one or other out, or is it a final operation after the "heavy work" is done?
I have been reading that darks may not be needed if dithering is working properly, but my current setup hasn't let me dither so I don't know if that is true or not (I find it hard to believe).
Once I get dithering up and running I'm going to see for myself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
@brass

Have to work with a client first thing this morning but I should be able to post something up afterwords.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have been reading that darks may not be needed if dithering is working properly, but my current setup hasn't let me dither so I don't know if that is true or not (I find it hard to believe).
Once I get dithering up and running I'm going to see for myself.
View Quote
Darks are always worth doing even with dithering.   A master dark file will eliminate amp glow, its also good for calibrating flat files to help reduce noise in them as well.

I'll try to post examples later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an iOptron CEM25P for Christmas. I eventually want to get into AP but plan to start out with visual and use my iPhone to capture some views of the moon with an Orion ED80T CF I also bought.

I’m having a bit of angst because I originally decided on a Sirius Pro mount but at the last minute I went with the CEM25P due to it being less costly and having a seemingly good reputation.

For those of you with experience with different mounts am I going to be ok with this mount longer term?  I believe it also has PEC and of course a guide port. I think the only disadvantage is the mount has a max rating of 27 lbs. ive balanced it with the scope on it easily but haven’t had any clear nights to get outside with it yet.

If you don’t mind an extra question, how do I hook up a Sony A7ii to this thing?  Being mirrorless I’m not sure what extensions I need to achieve a 55mm back focus and what field flattener I need (Orion has one).  Since I already own this camera it would be for capturing some long exposure shots just to begin learning. It doesn’t appear to be ideal longer term- longer term I’ll go with CCD or cmos cooled sensors if I get that far into it.l

Thanks for any help you can offer. I hope I didn’t trash the thread with noob questions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought an iOptron CEM25P for Christmas. I eventually want to get into AP but plan to start out with visual and use my iPhone to capture some views of the moon with an Orion ED80T CF I also bought.

I’m having a bit of angst because I originally decided on a Sirius Pro mount but at the last minute I went with the CEM25P due to it being less costly and having a seemingly good reputation.

For those of you with experience with different mounts am I going to be ok with this mount longer term?  I believe it also has PEC and of course a guide port. I think the only disadvantage is the mount has a max rating of 27 lbs. ive balanced it with the scope on it easily but haven’t had any clear nights to get outside with it yet.

If you don’t mind an extra question, how do I hook up a Sony A7ii to this thing?  Being mirrorless I’m not sure what extensions I need to achieve a 55mm back focus and what field flattener I need (Orion has one).  Since I already own this camera it would be for capturing some long exposure shots just to begin learning. It doesn’t appear to be ideal longer term- longer term I’ll go with CCD or cmos cooled sensors if I get that far into it.l

Thanks for any help you can offer. I hope I didn’t trash the thread with noob questions.
View Quote
@Sig-sog

I think you'll be happy with the ioptron, people seem to really like them.   I wouldn't worry too much about the max 27lb payload, its best to start off with small scopes like the 80mm anyways, you'll find no shortage of targets.   It has a guide port and ascom control so thats a huge plus.   The Orion scope is a great little scope with decent optics, get yourself a field flattener as soon as you can, thats probably more important than other accessories.

When it comes to attaching your camera I would call one of the big telescope stores

High Point Scientific

OPT

Orion

Astronomics

They should be able to help you pic out which t mount or adapter you need, they will also help you get the correct spacers to achieve the 55mm back focus you'll need from the field flattener.  I would find out what the distance is from your sensor to the face of the camera mount, that needs to be included in the 55mm.   If price allows I would buy a variable extension tube,  that way you can play with moving your back focus in or out a few mm, because its not always 55mm on the nose.

Feel free to ask any questions, tons of guys here know their stuff, that is what this thread is for
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, Ciraxis. I’ll make some calls on getting my camera connected.
I can’t believe how much learning this hobby will require. As an engineer it all fascinates me. I wish I’d done this years ago.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, Ciraxis. I’ll make some calls on getting my camera connected.
I can’t believe how much learning this hobby will require. As an engineer it all fascinates me. I wish I’d done this years ago.
View Quote
Its fun and challenging.   There is always something new to learn.  Its easily my favorite hobby, even though some nights I want to set my stuff on fire out of frustration.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone that uses Pixinsight might want to read this tutorial in regards to calibration and preprocessing.

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html

I'm only just now starting it, its tedious, its taken most of the morning to get everything calibrated, normalized and registered but its worth it.

I also went back and fixed my flat frames that I did last week.   I'm currently running the show by myself at work so I'm fairly busy but I will try to get examples up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Updated Orion Pic

May have pushed it a bit too much.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What tutorial?

Weren't you going to be putting one in this thread?  Actually, maybe just a few pictures showing the difference using a bias and flat make independently and together?  Wait, that was a demand of mine.  
View Quote
@brass

Fixed, I forgot to add a link.  I will try to update showing bias/darks vs no bias/darks.   I plan on redoing my pic of M33 soon using PI entirely to see if I get better results, so when I do that I will try to do a version without calibration files.

Also the new pic is just an updated version, I didn't rotate it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean the stars in the sky changed orientation?  Lucky you have some pictures of what it looked like before!

--ETA:  If the H?? blue/teal is at "10", change it to about 7.
View Quote
@brass

The whole thing needs to be dialed back, I pushed it too much in certain areas.   If I had more time into this as far as images I would have produced nicer transitions.

I will do a tutorial when I reprocess M33.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#18]
From the this weekend's lunar eclipse.  Two frames.  30 sec. f/4 ISO1600 14mm, and a second exposure at 1/4" second.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's pretty awesome!  I couldn't see it due to a snow storm.  And being asleep.
View Quote
Thanks.  I was glad to get some stuff that turned out, but I also missed out on some stuff.  My dog wouldn't stay put in the tent, and there are countless dangerous and fatal drops around this cliff complex, so him following me around limited where and what I could shoot - he normally shows sound judgment around cliff lines, but at night, some of these gaps aren't obvious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From the this weekend's lunar eclipse.  Two frames.  30 sec. f/4 ISO1600 14mm, and a second exposure at 1/4" second.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203937/_DSC5753Az_-_1024-817399.jpg
View Quote
Cool shot!

I wish I had been able to see it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Alright I'm going back and working on M33 using only Pixinsight for calibration and processing to see if I notice a difference.

@brass

Here are shots of my Luminance frames with and without flats and darks.

Without flats or darks

With flats and darks

Even with the flats there are some gradients present, this is normal from what I've read unless you can get perfect flats.   I need to make a flat light box to improve mine.   PI does a damn good job of removing gradients so I'm not worried about this.

Here is a gif to show the difference.

If I get in close and look at pixels I can say that I think flats add a tony bit of noise to the image, but I can live with this because it removes most vignetting and dust motes.   Also some of the added noise can possibly be from how I calibrated them, maybe my master dark didn't have enough to remove noise from the flats, maybe the lack of bias, who knows really.   It doesn't bother me as the benefits far outweigh the negatives.   Maybe I'll do some testing to see what works best but for now I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Another reprocess, nothing new, just playing with pixinsight, its amazing software.

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Skilz, some of you have it.??  Did anyone get good pics of the Lunar Eclipse?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Skilz, some of you have it.??  Did anyone get good pics of the Lunar Eclipse?
View Quote
Was cloudy for me
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That one is very nice and balanced!
View Quote
Thanks man, I think I might crop a bit off the top, bring it down to wear the nebulosity starts.

I cropped up from the bottom because I got some severe halos around the bright star Sadr
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, its been cloudy for a couple weeks here, so no astrophotography was possible.  It was pretty clear last night though, so I decided to shoot the Flaming Star Nebula.

About half way into the night a haze moved in (probably having to do with the cold temperatures), so it isn't as clear as it could have been.

This is 150 minutes total exposure (32 photos at 280 seconds each and 640 ISO)

Stellarvue SV80 Access
SFF3-25-48 Field Flattener
Nikon D600 (unmodified)
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Haven't done one of these in a while.  GoPro Hero6, 20 second exposures.

400 frames, about 2 hours 15 minutes.  Before the clouds rolled in and before the wife left for work.

400 Frame Star Trails by FredMan, on Flickr

And here's the full batch; 1445 frames, about 8 hours.

1445 Frame Star Trails by FredMan, on Flickr

Labororious; processing the 1445 frames took about 3 hours, writing the jpgs for the stacker took another 4 hours, and stacking took about an hour.  Total time about 16 hours.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]
And here's those 1445 frames converted to video.

Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And here's those 1445 frames converted to video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcvNAnyOQM
View Quote
@FredMan

Sweet!  I always like the stuff you come up with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I set up last night at my parents, just for three hours.  I'm trying to work out some focus issues I'm having.  I actually don't think its focus I think its either a spacing or tilt issue.  The Moonlite focus is working awesome but stars are getting weird shapes to them.

I also noticed that after the meridian flip my stars got worse, not sure if there was a tiny bit of frost buildup or if the tilt got worst.   I don't know.   I want to buy or make an artificial star to test on cloudy nights.   Its so hard to trouble shoot issues when I only get one clear night a month.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@FredMan

Sweet!  I always like the stuff you come up with.
View Quote
Thanks!

That video suffers from YouTube effects; it's much more dramatic when viewing the MP4 directly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@FredMAan That's awesome.  How do you point the go-pro exactly at Polaris, just by eye?

Were these compilations over a couple different nights?  I thought it took 24 hours for stars to make a 'circle' as shown in your 8 hour stack (which is awesome, haven't seen video).   Are there more stars on other half of orbit to make it seem like they each make a full circle?

Finally, I didn't realize a Go Pro was that good for low light!  I had no idea they packed that much into $300.  4k Video, 12MP photos, GPS, WiFi, audio AND better at low light than a cheaper or older DSLR.    Looks a lot easier to carry around than my luggable camera, lens collection, batteries, etc. Maybe I'll start with one of them.
View Quote
Camera position was a combination of luck and experience; I've done so many star trails that I pretty much know where the north star is relative to my house.  I literally put the GoPro on the tripod and plunked it in the yard.

That was a single night; put it out around 8 pm and let it run all night, powering it with a big battery pack.  Also used one of those HotHands heaters to keep the unit from freezing up; the night before did the same thing and it was all frosted up and images unusable the night before.  ProTip:  If you plan on using a battery pack to power your GoPro for long intervals, remove the internal battery:  Most bat packs will turn themselves off after a while if there's no current pull; once the GoPro is fully charged it stops pulling current and the the bat pack will turn itself off, and then the GoPro will use the internal battery and  draw it down and you're hosed because the bat pack won't turn itself on automatically.

As for the full circles, it is what it is.  If you look closely each arc is really only about 120 degrees; the full circle "look" is really an illusion because there's so many stars out there.  Here's one of the first ones I ever did; it's a 30-minute single exposure.  Still gives the illusion of nearly full circles.

DSC_1273-Star Trails by FredMan, on Flickr

And yes, the Hero6 does do pretty good in low light.  EXIF on the frames was 20 seconds and ISO 800.  I did bring each frame into LightRoom and make some adjustments; even though you can batch that work it still took several hours.  Stacking the frames was done in StarTrails.exe, a pretty handy piece if free software from some guy in Germany.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife got me the hero 5 session so I could do star trails while my telescope is imaging, its a piece of shit for that.  I think the max is like 5 seconds

Oh well, it sits in a drawer now
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the Anker 10500mAh USB batteries, and just plug them directly into the GoPro without removing the internal battery, and have never had any issues with the external batt shutting off.  In cold weather, I also keep the battery in a small pouch, to retain some of the discharge heat to allow the battery to perform better.

I had the GoPro running all night for this next one, and this particular image is just the portion where the full moon is out of the frame.  Temps were in the 20s, with a low of 20.1ºF, and the battery wasn't fully discharged when I went to retrieve it at sunrise.  5 second exposures [most of the noise is due to Arf server compression ] …

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the Anker 10500mAh USB batteries, and just plug them directly into the GoPro without removing the internal battery, and have never had any issues with the external batt shutting off.
View Quote
That must be one of the ones that doesn't switch off.  Mine is a Chinesium one I got off WOOT for dirt cheap.  It's sole claim to fame is being weather resistant.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Ciraxis   Can you show me a couple photos of meridian flip and the odd shaped stars?   Good to let me know what's wrong if I decide to get into this expensive nightmare.  Sounds cheaper to buy a boat.

Some sort of dim white LED behind a spotting scope eyepiece, then point telescope toward objective of spotting scope?   I'm not sure how the photography works compared to different eyepieces for magnification.

Looking at a light through smaller scope "backwards" makes it much dimmer and apparently far away, I don't know if it would be at the infinity focus you need, is there a null lens of some sort you can add at objective that doesn't cost more than the scope itself?

I know a lens can be tested through a null lens during creation of the mirror, but don't know how it would be employed to check photography, other than a distant street/house light in an otherwise dark area.  Lots of those here, though you've got more people in your city than there are in my state, so it's likely different.
View Quote
@brass

Here are screen shots of stretched single shots before and after the meridian flip.

before

after

I originally thought that the focus shift was caused by the meridian flip but that is highly unlikely, the moonlite focuser is seriously robust and doesn't budge so I do not think that was the case.   I also went and looked over the image times, there was a slow shift in image quality that just so happened around the meridian flip and I think that was just a slow build up of frost.   The temp was right around 0 degrees and I forgot to hook up my dew heaters though I doubt they would have helped in that cold.

Its not the end of the world.   I have found that my focus can change quite a bit throughout the night, which is why I have my focuser set to refocus every hour and if the temp swings too much.   The focuser has something like 20,000 stops, in this cold my focus has been around 18,430 while in the fall it was in the 19,000s
Thats not really surprising to me but its cool that I can give a number to the focus point.

I'm not sure if anything I shot the other night will work, I'm going to play around with it this week, today if I get time but I think those stars are too messed up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm done messing with this image, had to toss a bunch of data do to bad stars and everything about this was a bitch to work with.

I know it sounds like I complain and bitch a lot but really I enjoy this.   Every night is a new challenge and I'm still very much as amateurish as they get with this stuff.  For me its the small hurdles one after another that give me joy in completing.  I honestly wasn't expecting much from this series anyways.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok, I thought Meridian flip  was in stitching or tracking mount running out of room, but it looks like one frame is fuzzy?

How do you determine the exact focus number?   I know I can adjust micro-focus on mine with an etched cards close up, I can't think of a stellar equivalent, seems like it'd be easier to build an artificial star.

Again, the composite image looks great, and I don't see any major flaws or blur, still looks better than what I can see with good binoculars.

Only thing I can think of is a heating blanket powered by inverter off car battery and extension cord if close enough to vehicle, a tent sort of observatory with propane heater, or a battery powered portable contact warming system.

If your heater isn't enough, you could DIY a bigger heater that uses a USB power pack for lots of punch, I don't know the diameter, but 5-25W in contact should do it for non-giant scopes according to that.   Could scale up and add another battery for longer runtime by swapping one out when it's low, and charging the other in the car.

Put a fleece blanket around it.  Wind Chill only matters when an item doesn't match the outside temp, the temp of that item drops faster when wind is hitting it with fresh cold air.  A blanky around the scope w/contact warmer just to keep the wind off would make a difference for body/camera temp once warmed, inside of scope > 32-35° so frost/dew can't form.

I'll throw in Battery Life Tips
If doing that, running LiIon batteries between 20% and 75% charge gives the longest life with half the capacity.   When storing, put in a fridge, I have one dedicated for batteries, super glue, epoxy, and similar things to make them store for far longer.   Optimal storage charge is 40%.  Worse thing to kill LiIon is charging to 100%, then letting it sit at room temp.  Causes faster self-discharge which increases internal resistance more than standard higher current discharge.  They're kind of the opposite of NiMH/NiCd for storage, charging, running.  They don't like to be discharged below 3.9v/cell, leaving 25% of the capacity unused, and no full charging unless it will be discharged within a day.    That's all I can contribute to the thread.   Information is from Cadex's Battery University, which is the Final Word on batteries, as they make all the analyzers for them and collect data since the 90s with every chemistry out there.  Meant for fleet maintenance, the local specialized battery store has Cadex analyzers to say what's bad pretty quickly.  Personal is a bit on the spendy side, like "maybe I'll buy a boat instead" pricing.
View Quote
@brass

The meridian flip basically is tge scope running out of room, so it has to flip itself to continue tracking.  SGP does this flawlessly, but it can cause focus to shift, but the moonlite focuser I have is robust and wont shift when locked down.

As far as the focus numbers I can check the location and its corresponding number in SGP through ASCOM talking to the moonlite focuser.   I would suspect you could do the same with any motorized focuser using ASCOM.

Does that make sense?  Sorry I'm tying this out while I'm in the middle of something.   Thanks for posting the battery info, I'll post a pic of my heaters next time I set up the scope
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got to get my telescope out soon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top