Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even though I was a baby during Desert Storm, I remember Hercs flying over my house real low about every 90 seconds or so. It was like a damn earthquake

This was at Mitchell.

Now is it just me or could easily consider the Herc being the "AR-15" of planes (zillion options)? I think the only configuration I haven't seen is amphibious
http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/C130-Seaplane-4.jpg

Prototype mock up or actual production? either thats too cool

Yes i know the picture is a model
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even though I was a baby during Desert Storm, I remember Hercs flying over my house real low about every 90 seconds or so. It was like a damn earthquake

This was at Mitchell.

Now is it just me or could easily consider the Herc being the "AR-15" of planes (zillion options)? I think the only configuration I haven't seen is amphibious
http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/C130-Seaplane-4.jpg

AFAIK it never went beyond being a concept.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As has the Marine Corps. Awesome aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old the the B-52 again?

The ones in the air are from the early sixties.  What makes the C-130 a real success story is that since they started being built in 1954 the line has been open.  The AF is still getting brand new J models.

As has the Marine Corps. Awesome aircraft.

So is the Army...oh wait, nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to ride in a civvy stretched version a few times.

Also had fun loading/unloading them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
2700 flt hours in the F and R models.

Long live the mighty Battle Herk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]

I have over 1K hours in these as a Loadmaster.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Holy 1996 formatted web page Batman!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was always impressed by this story: http://www.cargolaw.com/2005nightmare_c130.html
Holy 1996 formatted web page Batman!  

That photo they show at the top of the story? Yeah, not an Air Force -130. QH 168308 is a USMC KC-130R from VMGR-234.

m

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why would a Alaska -> Hawaii flight go over San Fran?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I rode a C-130 from Alaska to Hawaii as a child. The pilots called me up front to look down as we flew over San Francisco. Quite a trip.    
Why would a Alaska -> Hawaii flight go over San Fran?  
Probably the closest mainland area to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks for the link!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For anyone that wants to read a little early AF Herc history, visit Sam McGowan's C-130 page.  Older webpage design, not all moderny and stuff for the youngsters.  (Be advised he is an author, so there are links to purchase his books on the page as well.  If that's a problem for you, don't visit.)
I just re-read the Paul Meyer story again. Wild.  

Thanks for the link!

Nuts, huh?  A lot of people who hear about it think it's AF urban legend or BS.

There are several stories about similar incidents in a variety of aircraft. They all end the same.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Or Hickam to Little Rock AFB on a raggity E model, no aerial refueling capability.  A bit over 12 hours flight time IIRC...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rode a C-130 from Alaska to Hawaii as a child. The pilots called me up front to look down as we flew over San Francisco. Quite a trip.    

You want a LOOOONG ride in a 130?  Fly from Iwakuni to Alaska.

Or Hickam to Little Rock AFB on a raggity E model, no aerial refueling capability.  A bit over 12 hours flight time IIRC...  

Lightweight. NAS Rota to MCAS CPNC - 21 hours in winter. Sometimes having a 3600 gal fuse tank was a bitch...

m

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Went transcontinental in one from Ct to Ft Lewis

Great view from the flight deck
Loud and cold

My BIL was stationed at Eglin/ Hurburt loved watching the AC-130s lining up for night gunnery

Awesome ship, along with the A-10 should be Army assets IMHO
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
They have a really cool factory there in Marietta.  Miles of underground tunnels.

<-- former C130J cockpit wiring harness fabrication dude.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I came really close to transferring to 130's from 141's. But the thought of getting stationed at Dyess, Little Rock, or Pope kept me from doing it.

Great airplane!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Me in one of the few Hollywood jumps I ever did.  The rest were all combat equipment, night for the most part.  The C-130 is one of the most uncomfortable birds to get stuffed into with full combat equipment, rigged for jumping...absolutely brutal.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lightweight. NAS Rota to MCAS CPNC - 21 hours in winter. Sometimes having a 3600 gal fuse tank was a bitch...

m

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

m

We had no fuselage tank - so we couldn't go any further.  But yeah, that additional 3600lbs would make for a longer day.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We had no fuselage tank - so we couldn't go any further.  But yeah, that additional 3600lbs Gal would make for a longer day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

m

We had no fuselage tank - so we couldn't go any further.  But yeah, that additional 3600lbs Gal would make for a longer day.

FTFY. Refueling tank. The R model had that, plus the wing tanks. (It was removable, and I used to love a F w/o the tank...)

m

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My dad was a loadmaster in them in vietnam.

He can hear a herky bird from miles away.
View Quote

Yep. Those T-56s cause a pretty distinctive ruckus. There's a Lockheed facility near my AO, so when Hercs go out on test hops, it's fun to amaze my friends by saying, "Here comes a C-130" before it comes into sight.

Of course, sometimes I have to eat crow because it ends up being a P-3.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

FTFY. Refueling tank. The R model had that, plus the wing tanks. (It was removable, and I used to love a F w/o the tank...)

m

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snippageses

m

m

Doh - should have caught that.    We did ACFs on a few birds out of AF Plant 6 with those - they take up a wee bit of real estate.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep. Those T-56s cause a pretty distinctive ruckus. There's a Lockheed facility near my AO, so when Hercs go out on test hops, it's fun to amaze my friends by saying, "Here comes a C-130" before it comes into sight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad was a loadmaster in them in vietnam.

He can hear a herky bird from miles away.

Yeah, he'd always amaze us and others by announcing a herky bird while pointing up.  We had no clue, but would see or hear it a few minutes later. Loved that.

I forgot too, i went to UAz and saw them daily approaching DMafb. That wss neat.

Also got to jump out of one a few times. That was not fun, but neat to tell my pops.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Me in one of the few Hollywood jumps I ever did.  The rest were all combat equipment, night for the most part.  The C-130 is one of the most uncomfortable birds to get stuffed into with full combat equipment, rigged for jumping...absolutely brutal.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3-325AIR_0008_zps55719c60.jpg
View Quote

Full gear = packed in like sardines in a can.  Low level on airdrops at Bragg or Benning in the middle of summer sucked for you guys as well.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always love watching a Herc take off on JATOs at airshows too. Something about watching that hog damn near take off vertically is just awesome.
View Quote

Could be a sport.  ...and a credible one at that.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always love watching a Herc take off on JATOs at airshows too. Something about watching that hog damn near take off vertically is just awesome.

Nice.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thankfully some in the crowd will get that.  Nice way to bring that in from way out in left field.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Flew several times in the Corps.  That damn shitter amongst everyone was not fun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Murica we used to build good shit
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#28]

I have slides of 130's my father flew in while he was stationed in Sondrestrom IIRC.  He always talks about the one they put down on the cap after an engine self destructed and did some damage to the airframe.  It is kind of a funny story.  They apparently spent a few days in and around the plane waiting for the weather to allow mechanics in to work on it.  And they flew it out on three engines with a cowl over the destroyed engine and pod.

He has lots and lots of slides form Greenland and the DEW line.  

I will have to see if I can convert them.

Here is a 130 pic I snapped in Missouri.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Many jumps from a C-130.  She's been a good bird for us.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#30]
We sure got our money's worth out of the C 130 and the B 52.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smooth.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I was at Tan Son Nhut for Frequent Winds. The number of South Vietnamese natives you could put on an aircraft was impressive. If I recall, CH-53 carried a little more than 50 people; some of which were children.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Great story.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Figthters, like destroyers, come and go.  C-130s, like tankers, go on forever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
C130 from carrier...I can't post video...doah

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uM5AI3YSV3M%5B/youtube[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
C130 from carrier...I can't post video...doah

http://youtu.be/uM5AI3YSV3M%5B/youtube
View Quote

Not sure if it's the same video but same subject.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Not sure how many jumps I have from one, but I bet its north of 40.

I like em.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad was one of the pilots that flew one of last C-130's out of Vietnam that day. Loaded it up with over 300 people. I was 8 months old.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
There is no aircraft in the world as versatile as the C-130.

I swear we could turn one into a stealth fighter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was at Tan Son Nhut for Frequent Winds. The number of South Vietnamese natives you could put on an aircraft was impressive. If I recall, CH-53 carried a little more than 50 people; some of which were children.
View Quote

My father always talks about his time in Cam Rahn Bay and Tan Son Nhut.  I Really need to sit and talk with him.  I love the man to death but he is sometimes hard to get along with so it is rare that we sit and really talk about it.  His brothers say Vietnam really changed him.  

I do know he loved his time in the 130's
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#42]
My best friend is a Marine 'crewmaster' on C-130Js. He showed me some pictures and shared some stories last time I saw him. Quite a machine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#43]
135>130

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#44]
This is the HUD of the new C130J... I have circumnavigated the planet in one without a Navigator.  Sorry NAVs, but there' s no seat for you in the J.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/882819_124470767739392_1345428454_o.jpg?dl=1
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#45]
See sig line.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is the HUD of the new C130J... I have circumnavigated the planet in one without a Navigator.  Sorry NAVs, but there' s no seat for you in the J.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/882819_124470767739392_1345428454_o.jpg?dl=1
View Quote

Some of the best crew laughs came from putting black shoe polish in the scope eyepiece or the sextant eyepiece.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Some of the best crew laughs came from putting black shoe polish in the scope eyepiece or the sextant eyepiece.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most funny moment was taking a GPS unit and putting a set of david clarks around it and leaving it in the seat, nav came back to the seat...didn't think it was funny.

Nav's stuck around longer than the FE's.... Im over it...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My god.... And I thought my 9 hour trip from Okinawa -> Guam -> Australia was long
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#49]
At the time, Hawkins owned Hawkins Airport, a grass strip in northern Michigan where he had never landed, and he drove to the Van Nuys Airport every day to work on his latest project—a kitplane he was building “out of habit,” he said.
View Quote

That made me smile.

Thanks for your work Mr. Hawkins...its going to be appreciated by people who haven't even been born yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great bunch of guys that unit.

Probably one of the finest -130 units in the world.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top