Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't mind them other than slow, noisy, too hot, too cold

toilets now better-  have a sheet to cover ya

not too bad unless ya pack em full with stuff and peeps...we usually only put 20-30 people max so not too bad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Somebody's not watching the radar altimeter.

It's been 7 years, but as I recall min alt. on those drops is 150.

Best job I had on Hercs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
amazing what you can do when you focus on the requirements of the mission and not the ego of the drivers.

I know, cheap shot, but its true.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of the greatest successes of aviation design.
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Amen!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the greatest successes of aviation design.

Amen!

I remember in the mid 1990's when the Herk surpassed the most sorties flown ever, off ALL military aircraft combined. Lockheed had a kick ass poster and we had one in Maint Control..should have snagged it. Had some kick ass facts..

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

amazing what you can do when you focus on the requirements of the mission and not the ego of the drivers.

View Quote

Different era.  "Build us an acft that can do x, y, and z.  We don't care what it looks like."  Also, less politics involved back then IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the Herc!

My last ride was on one carrying a load of ammo from Panama (pre-invasion) to Tegucigalpa during the "Contra War" in the 80's. Some SAT Herc's were parked at the airfield when we arrived. Reminded me of the old Air America days when I was in VN.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Longevity of these aircraft is an unintentional side effect, not an original design goal.  It's still around because it's the only aircraft of that size the US built/possesses that can do what it does.  It's rugged (tough airframe, easy maintenance, adaptable platform) and cheap to operate (presently at less than $7k per flying hour for an H model). The design was never intended to last 60 years, but survived because of those two broad reasons above, which allowed it to be effectively improved and adapted over time.  

One could also say the B707 and similar -135 type is successful for the same reasons.

The ego comment? Yes, cheap shot and GD Derp.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Different era.  "Build us an acft that can do x, y, and z.  We don't care what it looks like."  Also, less politics involved back then IMHO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we were buying enough planes that it didn't have to be a joint endeavor that was designed to be a gunship, spec-ops support, electronic warfare, tanker, that has to be able to hover and land on a carrier.  It was just a truck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

AFAIK it never went beyond being a concept.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even though I was a baby during Desert Storm, I remember Hercs flying over my house real low about every 90 seconds or so. It was like a damn earthquake

This was at Mitchell.

Now is it just me or could easily consider the Herc being the "AR-15" of planes (zillion options)? I think the only configuration I haven't seen is amphibious
http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/C130-Seaplane-4.jpg

Prototype mock up or actual production? either thats too cool

Yes i know the picture is a model

AFAIK it never went beyond being a concept.

Who needs amphibious when you have air craft carriers?  .  I’ve read about the aircraft carrier testing, and after numerous landings and takeoffs, they determined that even though the plane was perfectly capable they decided that the wing clearance was too risky, it had less than 3 feet of clearance from the tower.

One of my highlights of being in the Army was sitting on the flight deck of an Omani C130 with British RAF crew, flying through the “Omani Grand Canyon” on final approach to Khasab air base.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/PhotoTWB/media/Avation/10380567_10203148019492865_6727020980686302979_o_zpsef197a4f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Avation/10380567_10203148019492865_6727020980686302979_o_zpsef197a4f.jpg</a>
View Quote

WEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Think about it this way the ground must be at least 150 dead ahead off his nose so he is good.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Think about it this way the ground must be at least 150 dead ahead off his nose so he is good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it's probably written as 150 above ground level, not 150 above tree level.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a couple USMC VMGR-352 KC-130s passing through my area right now.  One is being flown by the CO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
A friend at Lockheed pointed out to me that for the aircraft carrier landings: It landed without a tail hook and took off without a catapult.
Damn! Just damn!  And FWIW: "The LM-100J, the new commercial variant of the C-130J Super Hercules, will be touching down on dirt strips or short runways starting around 2017."
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Happy 60th!

The H models I shed blood, sweat, & tears over almost 30 years ago are now over 40 years young, and have at least 10 more years in them.
I have not seen them since fall '85, but I will be going to Great Falls tomorrow to check on the 8 that just got assigned there.

If Christine (74-2063) is there, I'll probably shed a tear or two.
We was Best Buds for over two years. She never done Me wrong.
As faithful and loyal as the best dog You've ever had!

Thanks to all Who have maintained these near perfect machines.
Oh, and I guess the Flight Crews also...

The (Grateful and Proud) Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A friend at Lockheed pointed out to me that for the aircraft carrier landings: It landed without a tail hook and took off without a catapult.
Damn! Just damn!  And FWIW: "The LM-100J, the new commercial variant of the C-130J Super Hercules, will be touching down on dirt strips or short runways starting around 2017."
View Quote

There are a few aircraft that were produced that there is just no replacement for, and as the older ones wear out, operators get in a pickle.

This is one of those birds. The commercial market doesn't need a lot of them, but they do need them.

(And it doesn't help that L-100's get bought up by foreign militaries that can't get clearance from the US Gov to buy C-130's...)
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want to see what a possible C-130 replacement will look like, take a peek at the Lockheed Skunk Works in Palmdale, CA on Google Earth.  An interesting white, C-130-size twin jet aircraft with a strange looking wing and a long test instrumentation on the nose is parked outside on the ramp.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you want to see what a possible C-130 replacement will look like, take a peek at the Lockheed Skunk Works in Palmdale, CA on Google Earth.  An interesting white, C-130-size twin jet aircraft with a strange looking wing and a long test instrumentation on the nose is parked outside on the ramp.
View Quote

Not really, X-55
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Full gear = packed in like sardines in a can.  Low level on airdrops at Bragg or Benning in the middle of summer sucked for you guys as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me in one of the few Hollywood jumps I ever did.  The rest were all combat equipment, night for the most part.  The C-130 is one of the most uncomfortable birds to get stuffed into with full combat equipment, rigged for jumping...absolutely brutal.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3-325AIR_0008_zps55719c60.jpg

Full gear = packed in like sardines in a can.  Low level on airdrops at Bragg or Benning in the middle of summer sucked for you guys as well.  

Jumpmasters had to walk across our Large rucksacks since there was nowhere else to go.  I still don't understand how we all fit in there.  The 50lb parachute packs make it so you can't really sit on the seat comfortably, then you have your ruck attached upside down to the harness, with guys facing each other. The reserve parachute makes it so you can't pull the ruck close to you to make room for your buddy.

If you're claustrophobic, airborne would be hell in the sky.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Google Boeing YC-14 and McDonnell Douglas YC-15.  You might notice some similarities between the YC-14 and the C-17.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I see probably 10 flights a day at least by the bulky birds.

I live a couple of miles down range of Little Rock AFB, and they keep the 130's humming day and night out here.

When I was a lifeguard at our Boyscout ranch, they would use our parade field as a practice drop zone from time to time. They would be coming in low and slow with the back doors open and you could make out facial features as they waved.
View Quote
I did some work right outside the base not too long ago. They would fly low and slow in circles for a good while everyday it seemed.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Google Boeing YC-14 and McDonnell Douglas YC-15.  You might notice some similarities between the YC-15 14 and the C-17.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Boeing YC-14 and McDonnell Douglas YC-15.  You might notice some similarities between the YC-15 14 and the C-17.

FIFY.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a couple USMC VMGR-352 KC-130s passing through my area right now.  One is being flown by the CO.
View Quote

Raiders!

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I did a USO tour of Alaska in '76.  Spent quite a few hours as a "passenger" (cargo?) on C-130s.   Sigh.  Those were fun days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Watching LAPES drops was fun.
I understand the practice is discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Watching LAPES drops was fun.
I understand the practice is discontinued.
View Quote

Yeah, there were a few mishaps/crashes/deaths along the way. Its a very dynamic event.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#29]
biden came to visit malloy and two C-130J Super dropped off their motorcade crap off at Westchester Airport

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not really, X-55  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, X-55  

My money is on seeing the concept of the composite fuselage construction scaled up to a C-130J sized technology demonstrator before it's over.  I've seen some Lockheed photos of the X-55 with the YC-14's above the wing, blown airfoil engine location.  Certainly something that could be a glimpse at the future direction of tactical air transport.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I lived near Fort Devens in Massachusetts as a kid in the early 1970's.  I remember counting many in a row coming out and turning around by the nearby mountain they used as a landmark for turning,  before multiple parachutes would be popping out the back.  

I think sometimes there would be 12-13 in a row flying over.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Spent almost my entire life listening to C-130's overhead. grew up right next to an ANG base that is home to these.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Philippine Air Force still has 10 flying, one of which laid down the law with a JDAM and killed an Abu Sayyuf commander a couple of years ago.  (http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/165819/philippines-using-us-smart-bombs)

One of my PAF buds got to take this shot from the flight deck.  That's the Mayon volcano in southern Luzon.  Last time I saw it, it was erupting:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=67951

Unfortunately, the PAF only has 3 C-130s left.  2 H models, and one B.  There was an announcement a while back about 2 T models being delivered in 2015, courtesy of Uncle Sugar.  IIRC, Fat Albert is a T model.

View Quote

Correct.  They are getting two KC-130Ts from VMGR-234 which is going to J models.  Should happen in September if the diplomats finish the paperwork.

Fat Albert is a USNR C-130T.  Buno 164763.

TYCOM

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#37]
First A/C I ever puked in. A German AF jet jock was flying it on some USAF exchange program. He gave a whole new meaning to "low level".
First, and last, A/C I jumped from. Lots of different ones in between but always a soft spot for the Herc.
Most fun to jumpmaster in IMHO as well. Loved doing door checks and full hangs from them, just a super A/C.
Govliquidation.com had some fuselages for sale as scrap not long ago. Really thought hard about pulling the trigger on one. Hauling costs would be a bear, but sure would be the ultimate momento for a broken down old paratrooper!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Winddummy: Was your bn S3 a guy by the name of Mark Lewis during Grenada? He was my BC later. He talked about your BC and the Co Cdr that got killed. He knew them both and really liked them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/19/after-60-years-c-130-still-magnificent-machine/

ATLANTA –  Tim Nguyen regards the C-130 “Hercules” as a “good friend.” The 60-year-old military aircraft has been the focus of his professional career, and quite possibly saved his life.

During the 1975 Fall of Saigon, Nguyen -- then serving in the South Vietnamese air force -- escaped on the last C-130 out of Vietnam. During a lull in enemy fire, he emerged from a bunker at Tan Son Nhut Air Base to see the last flyable C-130 stopping and going on the taxiway.

The aircraft’s rear ramp was still open, apparently weighed down by the crowd of people standing on it.

“Every time (the pilot) jammed on the brake, it pushed the passengers forward,” Nguyen recalled. “It created more space in the back… So, I jumped in. Everybody jumped in. And a few minutes after that, the ramp door closed and we taxied out and departed.”

The plane landed safely at a U.S. air base in Thailand. Nguyen said the American soldiers there were visibly surprised as they watched 452 people disembark from a single plane.
View Quote

Isn't that exact plane on display at Dobbins?

LC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Ask the Lockheed Marietta Flight Engineer Instructor Frat that meets on the first Tuesday of every month

"Who/whom is the man?"

The ones that flew for Eddie Rickenbacker, met with Kelly Johnson, have nothing to prove... will respond,

"Louis Snyder is Mr. C-130."  

Louis Snyder will be 95 this 18OCT14.  

He's still walking and talking and ate a huge bowl
of my first ever attempt at Leg of Lamb with Provencal White Beans, tonight.  Looked almost like the pic:

Get a hold of Jim Cambell FE (retired) for scoop all the way up to and including the design of the FE-less J Model.

FYI,  Dad never called Kelly Johnson, Kelly, ever.  He called him Clarence in private and always Mr. Johnson in public.
Dad was Chief Flight Engineer on the L-1649 project at the Skunk Works at the time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raiders!

http://www.aviationgraphic.com/382-624-thickbox/kc-130j-super-hercules-vmgr-352-the-raiders-jp-1344.jpg

The CO was flying 166765. 168067 was the other, Raider-18.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

LC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/19/after-60-years-c-130-still-magnificent-machine/

ATLANTA –  Tim Nguyen regards the C-130 "Hercules” as a "good friend.” The 60-year-old military aircraft has been the focus of his professional career, and quite possibly saved his life.

During the 1975 Fall of Saigon, Nguyen -- then serving in the South Vietnamese air force -- escaped on the last C-130 out of Vietnam. During a lull in enemy fire, he emerged from a bunker at Tan Son Nhut Air Base to see the last flyable C-130 stopping and going on the taxiway.

The aircraft’s rear ramp was still open, apparently weighed down by the crowd of people standing on it.

"Every time (the pilot) jammed on the brake, it pushed the passengers forward,” Nguyen recalled. "It created more space in the back… So, I jumped in. Everybody jumped in. And a few minutes after that, the ramp door closed and we taxied out and departed.”

The plane landed safely at a U.S. air base in Thailand. Nguyen said the American soldiers there were visibly surprised as they watched 452 people disembark from a single plane.

LC
Its at the front gate at Little Rock AFB.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top