Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/16/2021 3:31:58 PM EDT
So there's a joke a couple times the husband and wife couple he orders a second cup of coffee and she wonders , he never has a second cup of coffee.

What is the parody?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just that she's suspicious of him being unfaithful, even justifying it with him getting another cup of coffee to show he's on the prowl.

That's how I take it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an old tv commercial they're parodying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a play on an old Yuban coffee commercial from the ‘70s.

Yuban coffee
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ever been in a Turkish prison?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn it, beat!

I guess it's worth a second post.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yuban coffee
View Quote

Same actress too
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So there's a joke a couple times the husband and wife couple he orders a second cup of coffee and she wonders , he never has a second cup of coffee.

What is the parody?
View Quote
It's a parody of a coffee commercial that didn't stand up decades later for those who hadn't seen it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just that she's suspicious of him being unfaithful, even justifying it with him getting another cup of coffee to show he's on the prowl.

That's how I take it.
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I am serious and don’t call me Shirley.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's how I take it.
View Quote

LOL....
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's an old tv commercial they're parodying.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Yuban is still a thing. Never seen it on the store shelves but then again I don't look for it.

BTW Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What is the parody?
View Quote

Dang millennial….

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Isn't his name Leon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Jimmy. He died of AIDS I think.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of sentence is that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Death
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
We have clearance, Clarance.
Roger, Roger.
What's our Vector, Victor?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yuban is still a thing. Never seen it on the store shelves but then again I don't look for it.

View Quote
I only take Yuban black ... like my men.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Joey, have you ever been in a turkish prison?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4kCF22O2w

Damn it, beat!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4kCF22O2w

Damn it, beat!

The coffee was worth a second cup, the commercial is worth a second post.

The question is, do you make a second post at home too?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting!  I didn't catch on to that the 50+ times that I have seen it!

Interesting indeed!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's how I take it.
View Quote

Very observant.

That’s actually the subliminal message of the original advertisement too.

As we all know, ad agencies seek to prey on our deep psychological insecurities and offer a product which will calm our greatest fears.

For example, a housewife’s greatest fear is not a “stain in clothes,” but she fears the unspoken social shame of being seen as a bad mother/wife if her family is seen in public wearing stained, grungy clothes.  Hence, the Tide advertisements (for example) try to capitalize on this without saying it out loud.

In the case of this Airplane coffee gag, the original Yuban coffee commercial was hinting that the husband is “unsatisfied” by what his wife normally has to offer at home, hence the reason he’s seeking his “cup of coffee” from another woman.  Pretty blatant.  The ad sought to capitalize on unspoken fears and anxieties of housewives of that era.  “Buy this brand of coffee to keep your man satisfied.”  Who knows if it sold more coffee or not.

Airplane lampooning this is one of the reasons it’s such a funny movie — it’s not only slapstick— there’s some actual brains behind a lot of the gags.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's how I take it.
View Quote

Shirley, you jest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Airplane Movie - Classic - Whisky OR Coke?

This is better than coffee anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How bout some coffee, Johnny?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ever been in a Turkish prison?
View Quote

No, but I like movies about gladiators.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you like gladiator movies?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Airplane! Coffee Scene: The Original and the Spoof
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Very observant.

As we all know, ad agencies seek to prey on our deep psychological insecurities and offer a product which will calm our greatest fears.

For example, a housewife’s greatest fear is not a “stain in clothes,” but she fears the unspoken social shame of being seen as a bad mother/wife if her family is seen in public wearing stained, grungy clothes.  Hence, the Tide advertisements (for example) try to capitalize on this without saying it out loud.

In the case of this Airplane coffee gag, the original Yuban coffee commercial was hinting that the husband is “unsatisfied” by what his wife normally has to offer at home, hence the reason he’s seeking his “cup of coffee” from another woman.  Pretty blatant.  The ad sought to capitalize on unspoken fears and anxieties of housewives of that era.  Who knows if it sold more coffee or not.

Airplane lampooning this is one of the reasons it’s such a funny movie — it’s not only slapstick— there’s some actual brains behind a lot of the gags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I take it.

Very observant.

In the case of this Airplane coffee gag, the original Yuban coffee commercial was hinting that the husband is “unsatisfied” by what his wife normally has to offer at home, hence the reason he’s seeking his “cup of coffee” from another woman.  Pretty blatant.  The ad sought to capitalize on unspoken fears and anxieties of housewives of that era.  Who knows if it sold more coffee or not.

Yup
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I take it.

Very observant.

Yup

Not only what you’ve noted, but older wife physically steps between hubby and younger woman offering “coffee.” Husband steps around older wife to accept younger woman’s “coffee.”

Message is “satisfy your man or your competitors will…”

There’s more too, but I’m typing in a tree stand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Very observant.

In the case of this Airplane coffee gag, the original Yuban coffee commercial was hinting that the husband is “unsatisfied” by what his wife normally has to offer at home, hence the reason he’s seeking his “cup of coffee” from another woman.  Pretty blatant.  The ad sought to capitalize on unspoken fears and anxieties of housewives of that era.  “Buy this brand of coffee to keep your man satisfied.”  Who knows if it sold more coffee or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I take it.

Very observant.

This. Classic satires are actually pretty intelligent.

You can see the glaring differences between those and modern attempts at the same thing
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#39]

That movie was absolutely shameless!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How bout some coffee, Johnny?
View Quote

"No thanks"
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#41]
You had to be alive in the early 70's, Yuban coffee commercial.

ETA: And beat like a stepchild, a few times.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is the parody?
View Quote

That you don't know how to use Google?  
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Always took it as, the wifes coffee is awful.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

One eye voice typed
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Airplane! Coffee Scene: The Original and the Spoof
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not only what you’ve noted, but older wife physically steps between hubby and younger woman offering “coffee.” Husband steps around older wife to accept younger woman’s “coffee.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I take it.

Very observant.

Yup

Even as a kid I thought the message in the commercial was clear. OP was correct to pick it up even though he didn’t see the original commercial.

Very memorable and psychologically powerful commercial.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks. Guys.

Now I know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What is the parody?
View Quote
1970s Maxwell House commercials with Cora, Margaret Hamilton who was the wicked witch of the west (and east)in TWOO.

Here's an example

Maxwell House ''Last Drop'' Coffee Commercial (1976)
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Personally, I was always curious who's boobs those were.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Yuban was a version of Maxwell House with a lighter roast mostly marketed on the west coast, also a General Foods brand and the commercials were done by the same ad agency.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top