BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Always liked your attitude.

If you like small town Southern life, we'll be needing a new Chief in a month or two.

We just got rid of a corrupt mayor, and the chief and several officers that were his personal Gestapo will be let go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.

If you like small town Southern life, we'll be needing a new Chief in a month or two.

We just got rid of a corrupt mayor, and the chief and several officers that were his personal Gestapo will be let go.

IDK, but I think the pay down there would be 'Pocket Change' to Extorris.............
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

IDK, but I think the pay down there would be 'Pocket Change' to Extorris.............
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know if it's SOP but I don't agree with the disarming of people who are legally carrying in order to run the gun's serial number that they've showed on the program.

Yeah, but it's relative. It costs nothing really to live here. The town is an island, with three other islands in the middle of it. It's small, as in less than 1500 people, and other than the cotton mill villages in town, it's rural.

There is no end to the hunting and fishing , hiking, white water rafting, horseback riding etc that you can do here. Basically, what we have is nature.

There is no industry in town, it's all mom and pop stores, but we're 40 miles south of Charlotte NC, and 40 miles north of Columbia SC, and I-77 is three miles away.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyone have a link to the troopers arresting a guy on a snow mobile for DUI? The guy did not even have a key for it, it was not his.
Attitude was a lot different in that thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe the show paints a picture they want you to see.

Anyone have a link to the troopers arresting a guy on a snow mobile for DUI? The guy did not even have a key for it, it was not his.
Attitude was a lot different in that thread.

I remember that episode, that scene was cringe worthy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, thanks but I don't want anything to do with LE ever again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were inclined to be an LEO, Alaska would be the area I'd be interested in the most.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a statewide law. IT was part of a compromise when Alaska did away with CCW requirements. Now anyone can carry concealed without any type of license or permit and in exchange we got duty to notify and you have to give it up for a duration of any lawful stop. IF you're just out and about they arent going to stop you and check your weapon but if you get pulled over for something and are armed you have the duty to notify and surrender until the stop is over. It just makes since if they already have the firearms may as well see if they are stolen. I know many wont agree with that but MANY stolen firearms have been recovered and returned to their owner that way ( including a shotgun of mine. Guy got pulled over with a bunch of drugs had MY shotgun in the trunk that was stolen from our cabin.) The "compromise" was worth it in many Alaskan's eyes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat ]
View Quote

Can you please post pics of these alleged urban MARPAT wearing officers wearing MARPAT while issuing citations?

Quoted:
Watched one episode where the guy flew in to some Podunk village to arrest a dude for some felony warrant. Flies in, talks to the guy, tells him he won't cuff him til they get in the plane so he doesn't have to march through the village like that, but he has to "come in" and get the matter taken care of. Dude went peacefully.
View Quote

Not uncommon around here either
Stop painting with a broad brush
Its poor practice to not cuff a defendant, but we will often delay it til a time when we aren't doing it I front of kids etc
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is a statewide law. IT was part of a compromise when Alaska did away with CCW requirements. Now anyone can carry concealed without any type of license or permit and in exchange we got duty to notify and you have to give it up for a duration of any lawful stop. IF you're just out and about they arent going to stop you and check your weapon but if you get pulled over for something and are armed you have the duty to notify and surrender until the stop is over. It just makes since if they already have the firearms may as well see if they are stolen. I know many wont agree with that but MANY stolen firearms have been recovered and returned to their owner that way ( including a shotgun of mine. Guy got pulled over with a bunch of drugs had MY shotgun in the trunk that was stolen from our cabin.) The "compromise" was worth it in many Alaskan's eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was duty to notify long before constitutional carry. While I moved out of Alaska I certainly would not be ok with them taking my gun and I hope that gets challenged and defeated.

I like how you say they wont stop you if you're out and about. If you interest them they will pull you over. Results dont justify bad laws and I am sorry you are willing to forego your freedom so that someone may get back their stolen property.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Painted on a well known bluff between North Pole and Eielson AFB where everyone can see it.  Literally it is 25 yards from the highway. (photo isn't mine)

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if you're ever down south, come see us, we'll take you fishing. Very relaxing little community here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Having visited Alaska and met some of the people I would think that a lot of it has to do with the citizens. A higher percentage of people would rather handle things themselves. They want to be left alone. Don't need someone hand holding every move and don't cry and whine to 911 if mcdonalds doesn't have chicken nuggets

This in turn allows the police to do the job they were meant to.

Some states are worse some are better but I do think it can be a direct reflection of what the citizens will allow. Something tells me that what goes on in New York or LA police departments would not be tolerated in many areas of Alaska by the people living there.

It makes a difference when the people are all armed, self reliant, and don't need a babysitter.

View Quote

I have posted this before.

The same people that would jump in at risk to themselves to help a good cop will sit there and watch a bad cop get the living shit whaled out of him and CHEER. When it comes to court these same people will PURJURE themselves to make it sound like the cop started it.

I have watched officers come from places like Detroit bring their tough guy antics with them to leave town as broken men.

OTOH I have watched cops with a goal of trying to help people invited into homes and be treated royally. People will risk their lives to help a good cop.

What is interesting is the attitude of the officers. They either leave shortly after getting there like the devil himself is chasing them or they go through their careers with the attitude they have the best job in the world.

Their individual choice.

Police work in Alaska is interesting to say the least.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like how you say they wont stop you if you're out and about. If you interest them they will pull you over. Results dont justify bad laws and I am sorry you are willing to forego your freedom so that someone may get back their stolen property.
View Quote

Sorry, but in that scenario the recovery of stolen property wins out in my mind.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry, but in that scenario the recovery of stolen property wins out in my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And nor did I say if you interest them then can just pull you over (and they dont). I said if you have already broken the law and are stopped for something else they will run it since you are already there. It is no different than running your drivers license for warrants. Trust me AST has their hands full as is they aren't running around stopping people just to see if they have firearms and running them hell you can be open carrying and you will get a smile and a wave.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2011/02/12/22/5824358.100716.original.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg
View Quote

I will say that the majority of my state, and I have worked in just about every part with LEOs in each job, are very big on the Class A uniform.  Very professional and put together.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I will say that the majority of my state, and I have worked in just about every part with LEOs in each job, are very big on the Class A uniform.  Very professional and put together.
View Quote

I recently went to the funeral of an officer I went through basic school with.
Lots of agencies out there with some spiffy class A uniforms.
Not exactly the reason for attending such events obviously, but you do notice such things while you're  milling around forming up and afterwards
We dumped our class As a few years ago. Purely financial reasons. The jacket alone runs around $500 and this was around  the same time period when I heard the admins in the hallway discussing whether we could afford toner cartridges for the copier. Tough for smaller agencies to justify buying and fitting a uniform running thousands of dollars that might get worn a handful of times over the officers career.

That being said, what is shown in OPs picture is not what I would call a class A uniform.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The jacket alone runs around $500......
View Quote

Probably why one of my fellow officers stole mine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not exactly the reason for attending such events obviously, but you do notice such things while you're  milling around forming up and afterwards
We dumped our class As a few years ago. Purely financial reasons. The jacket alone runs around $500 and this was around  the same time period when I heard the admins in the hallway discussing whether we could afford toner cartridges for the copier. Tough for smaller agencies to justify buying and fitting a uniform running thousands of dollars that might get worn a handful of times over the officers career.

That being said, what is shown in OPs picture is not what I would call a class A uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picture in OP shows external vest carriers.  Based off that alone our uniforms are more "professional" and "traditional".  People here would shit bricks if I suggested external carriers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Picture in OP shows external vest carriers.  Based off that alone our uniforms are more "professional" and "traditional".  People here would shit bricks if I suggested external carriers.
View Quote

We went to external carriers a couple of years ago for those who wished to have them.
I kept my vest set up as internal for a couple of reasons
The externals get ratty looking if worn year-round.
There was no uniform set up rules issued for the externals, and some guys have so many pouches hanging off of them it looks unprofessional, in my opinion.

My SHTF plan is to don a plate carrier over the uniform. The younger guys with the outer carriers plan on dragging along a go bag they carry in the car.
Not that its a bad thing, but I think its not as good a gear plan as using a plate carrier.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From some of your previous post, I've always envisioned you dressed like Denzel in Training Day versus the traditional uniform.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From some of your previous post, I've always envisioned you dressed like Denzel in Training Day versus the traditional uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, was in dress uniform because I was attending the funeral of one of the cops from my precinct. Hung the jacket up in my office and it vanished.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So, to clarify OP comments, the Alaska state troopers that showed up at Tanana dressed in swat outfits are intimidating bad dudes that OP has little respect for, but the troopers wearing the regular everyday patrol outfits are cool?    Very interdasting....my mind has been blown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

So, to clarify OP comments, the Alaska state troopers that showed up at Tanana dressed in swat outfits are intimidating bad dudes that OP has little respect for, but the troopers wearing the regular everyday patrol outfits are cool?    Very interdasting....my mind has been blown.

I dont get it either, if 2 cops were killed I would expect the SWAT team to show up in full force. Thats one of the reasons for having a SWAT team, to execute arrests that could be dangerous for a normal cop.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Alaskans are a funny breed.

If you are a good cop making a legitimate bust even some of the druggies and thugs will back you up.

OTOH if you are just being a jerk making life miserable for someone for no good reason and you find your hands full. You will find that some enterprising soul has set up bleachers and a popcorn stand so everyone can be entertained.

The AST are VERY community driven.

Fairweather Day, 1985. Yukatat, AK. On the beach at the party. Several guys with fireworks acting somewhat irresponsibly. This includes some of the most serious cherry bombs I have ever seen.

Enter the trooper.

"Hey, guys. How about if you just take those things down the beach about fifty yards or so and give the rest of us a show."

"We can do that."

"Thanks. Got any mortars?"

These people are trained in public safety and are given a lot of latitude in using common sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.

Alaskans are a funny breed.

If you are a good cop making a legitimate bust even some of the druggies and thugs will back you up.

OTOH if you are just being a jerk making life miserable for someone for no good reason and you find your hands full. You will find that some enterprising soul has set up bleachers and a popcorn stand so everyone can be entertained.

The AST are VERY community driven.

Fairweather Day, 1985. Yukatat, AK. On the beach at the party. Several guys with fireworks acting somewhat irresponsibly. This includes some of the most serious cherry bombs I have ever seen.

Enter the trooper.

"Hey, guys. How about if you just take those things down the beach about fifty yards or so and give the rest of us a show."

"We can do that."

"Thanks. Got any mortars?"

These people are trained in public safety and are given a lot of latitude in using common sense.

I remember walking into the Glacier bear, in Yak, sometime in the early 80's. About 10 o'clock at night, bright sunshine. Walked out about 2 am, bright sunshine.  Some of the neatest, most desolate beaches I've ever walked on. Bunch of old WW2 stuff around there as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how running the numbers is not an illegal search under the 4th amendment.
They can certainly hold the gun for the duration of the stop, but in my opinion there is no justification to run it unless they have specific cause.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
TAG
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I like Texas Highway Patrol uniforms a lot. They look sharp.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I recently left a job where everyone but the chief wanted an external carrier. Too militaristic, even the kind that looks like a uniform shirt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was a real Class Act, too..............
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only good part was I didn't have to buy another one to replace it even though every year during inspection you were required to have one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?

This.
After two officers are killed by a man with a long gun, I fucking demand it.

The guns and gear are simply tools, and can be used properly or improperly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was cleaning out some cabinets in the office and found a night stick. The officers name and payroll was on it. He was still with the Department. He said it had been stolen 21 years prior.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't reasonable to seize and search any property for a simple traffic stop.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Pics of the red part?

Those mult pocket vest carriers would be considered "military" here. We can however use the outside vest carriers that exactly match our class uniform.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2011/02/12/22/5824358.100716.original.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

Pics of the red part?

Those mult pocket vest carriers would be considered "military" here. We can however use the outside vest carriers that exactly match our class uniform.

The jackwagons with the San Bernadino SO hunting for dorner with Mini-14's comes to mind. Trucker hats, untucked shirts, general soup sandwich shit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was cleaning out some cabinets in the office and found a night stick. The officers name and payroll was on it. He was still with the Department. He said it had been stolen 21 years prior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No this was definitely stolen. Uniform items and equipment got stolen all the time. Like one older cop told me "Leave a hundred dollar bill on the desk and it will be untouched or someone will turn it in. Leave a baton or flashlight there and it will be gone in seconds"
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've been consistent here in not caring about pocket count etc. it's an attitude problem that bothers me.

I had a cop tell me last year after he accused me of being a burglar that I was walking on the proper side of the street so he "can't" give me a ticket.  What did he gain in return for earning my distrust? Or is he not even alert enough to know what he has done?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?

Stop. They're having an Andy Griffith circle jerk
Gr

I've been consistent here in not caring about pocket count etc. it's an attitude problem that bothers me.

I had a cop tell me last year after he accused me of being a burglar that I was walking on the proper side of the street so he "can't" give me a ticket.  What did he gain in return for earning my distrust? Or is he not even alert enough to know what he has done?
Stop, they're having a judge dredd circle jerk.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No this was definitely stolen. Uniform items and equipment got stolen all the time. Like one older cop told me "Leave a hundred dollar bill on the desk and it will be untouched or someone will turn it in. Leave a baton or flashlight there and it will be gone in seconds"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"There is only one thief here, everybody else is just trying to get their stuff back"

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"There is only one thief here, everybody else is just trying to get their stuff back"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of the time a rookie who got stuck doing a prisoner transport came up to me and returned my handcuffs that had my name engraved in them. I thanked him because I hadn't seen them since they were "borrowed" 10 years earlier.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I agree! The AST's are top notch LEO's.  Always respectful and command respect from the people they contact but do it in a classy down to earth way that work like law enforcement should. Have worked with a couple in my Martial Arts class enjoyed it but they were re-assigned and live elsewhere now but they know the welcome mat is always out for them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't saying you lost it. This guy never worked our Division so his probably was stolen. Never leave your sunglasses in your shop either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

just about every episode I've seen.  I've even seen a few questionable retention of firearms.  Then again it could be Alaska Law allows it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The first Alaska State Trooper I ever encountered picked me up hitch-hiking.
He secured my pack, knife and rifle in the trunk and I got to meet a true Alaskan professional.

I rode for him for well over an hour and he was an immense supply of good, practical, down to earth knowledge.

Samples:

"You can camp at Ft. Abercrombie in Kodiak for 2 weeks at a time but the last I heard is the way they are enforcing it is that they let you move your tent to another site and let it slide and start the two weeks over again. You might find someone in the Fort to trade sites every two weeks if it's crowded." (proved to be 100% true)

"I don't know when the season officially starts but a lot of the canneries have bunk houses you can stay in for little or nothing if you work there. Check out the B&B cannery. My neighbor's kid says they're pretty good to work for." (again proved to be 100% true)

"Your chances of getting on a fish boat are slim. You'd be better off trying to find shore side work" Spot on.

"There's a lot stuff they enforce in the Lower 48 that we can't be bothered with unless we're specifically called for it. If you have a lick of common sense you will know what is and isn't important." True story. That shocked me to hear a LEO say that to say the least.

"Most people that move here are either running from something or looking for something. If someone is trying to escape a serious crime we'll eventually catch up with him. If it's something minor he can generally get a fresh start here if he behaves himself."  QFT

Much of this has likely changed but you have to remember this was in the later part of the 70s when I met this officer.

View Quote

I wonder how much time they spend on stolen I-phones?  There was a lot of whining and crying because LEOs don't spend everywaking minute on petty shit.  In fact most leo busting threads are complaining about not getting their petty shit closed out in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
there are few professionals left anywhere, including leos
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If the laws of your society requires an army of heavily armed men kicking in doors, shooting dogs, and throwing your ass in a MRAP, your society fucked up the creation and implementation of laws.

View Quote

Also truth.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

just about every episode I've seen.  I've even seen a few questionable retention of firearms.  Then again it could be Alaska Law allows it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was watching an episode last night where they were at a call of a man with a gun. They arrived on scene and proceeded to talk to the guy that was shooting off rounds from his AR15 from inside his house.
They managed to wait him out until he sobered up, and he walked out of his house and they calmly walked him to one of their cruisers and took him to jail.
No SWAT teams, no burning down his house, no shots fired by the Troopers, no dog pile and ripping his arms out of socket trying to cuff him, no "STOP RESISTING" while they are beating his head in.  It was refreshing to watch really.
View Quote

Same thing I thought.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And nor did I say if you interest them then can just pull you over (and they dont). I said if you have already broken the law and are stopped for something else they will run it since you are already there. It is no different than running your drivers license for warrants. Trust me AST has their hands full as is they aren't running around stopping people just to see if they have firearms and running them hell you can be open carrying and you will get a smile and a wave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tc556guy, you live in a state where where the people have voted your freedoms be stripped from you. You are also ok with that and that is your choice but would not be acceptable for me.

bjohnson they are not different than any other LE officer. If you attract their interest they will find a reason to stop you, I have no idea why you deny that as it is standard almost everywhere in the world that LE exists. I never said they pull people over looking for guns but if they are taking guns and running serial numbers that is not ok but apparently my understanding of the 4th amendment is flawed.

Why is it not ok to check every single item of value you have and run it through the database? Phone, Laptop, any electronics etc. Where the hell do you draw the line. Oh but its ok because tc556guy might get his stuff back
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Watched one episode where the guy flew in to some Podunk village to arrest a dude for some felony warrant. Flies in, talks to the guy, tells him he won't cuff him til they get in the plane so he doesn't have to march through the village like that, but he has to "come in" and get the matter taken care of. Dude went peacefully.

Lower 49 would have had a dozen guys smashing down the door (of the wrong house, since they wouldn't have asked a local dude to point the house out), and I don't even want to think about how many sled dogs would have been killed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I just watched that episode before coming to ARFCOM tonight.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It isn't reasonable to seize and search any property for a simple traffic stop.
View Quote

So your take on it is that officers shouldn't be able to secure the weapon for any reason during a traffic stop, am I understanding your position?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why is it not ok to check every single item of value you have and run it through the database? Phone, Laptop, any electronics etc. Where the hell do you draw the line. Oh but its ok because tc556guy might get his stuff back
View Quote

Most people don't have their stolen electronics serial numbers to be entered when the report is taken of stolen property, so those numbers would most likely not be available.
People will generally have gun serial numbers available when they're reporting those as stolen.
I get it that some of you consider guns to be no different than a Dewalt tool.
Folks in the real world understand theres a difference.
I guess everyone here who's ever had their guns stolen and would like to have them recovered should note that you have no desire to help them get their property back.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top