Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most people don't have their stolen electronics serial numbers to be entered when the report is taken of stolen property, so those numbers would most likely not be available.
People will generally have gun serial numbers available when they're reporting those as stolen.
I get it that some of you consider guns to be no different than a Dewalt tool.
Folks in the real world understand theres a difference.
I guess everyone here who's ever had their guns stolen and would like to have them recovered should note that you have no desire to help them get their property back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it not ok to check every single item of value you have and run it through the database? Phone, Laptop, any electronics etc. Where the hell do you draw the line. Oh but its ok because tc556guy might get his stuff back

Most people don't have their stolen electronics serial numbers to be entered when the report is taken of stolen property, so those numbers would most likely not be available.
People will generally have gun serial numbers available when they're reporting those as stolen.
I guess everyone here who's ever had their guns stolen and would like to have them recovered should note that you have no desire to help them get their property back.

That is a lot of words to not answer my question. Would you be ok with them checking everything??

I don't know why you think guns are special and somehow exempt from the law. It is not reasonable for a cop to take my gun during a traffic stop or normal encounter. I was born and raised in AK and the city cops never took my gun when they pulled me over. I now live in Nevada and have been stopped by city cops, sheriffs, and highway patrol. None of them gave two shits about me having a gun and certainly didn't feel the need to disarm me under the guise of checking for stolen property.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You do realize that is their SRT team right. And their response WAS warranted. The 2 troopers killed were the ONLY troopers in Tanana. The call Fairbanks AST got from the VPSO was a frantic both troopers are shot and killed and the shooter is still at large with no more information. Do you expect random onesies and twosies to come strolling in with a known killer at large that doesnt give two fucks if you're in a uniform or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You do realize that is their SRT team right. And their response WAS warranted. The 2 troopers killed were the ONLY troopers in Tanana. The call Fairbanks AST got from the VPSO was a frantic both troopers are shot and killed and the shooter is still at large with no more information. Do you expect random onesies and twosies to come strolling in with a known killer at large that doesnt give two fucks if you're in a uniform or not.

Yeah, that's the point.  The Troopers in the OP look just like the rest of the patrolmen across the country.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After two officers are killed by a man with a long gun, I fucking demand it.  

The guns and gear are simply tools, and can be used properly or improperly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?

This.

I demand it too. What I am saying is that no patrolmen that I know of driving around daily dressed like special forces, or whatever the OP said .

ETA: autophonetyping
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I demand it too. What I am saying is that no patrolmen that I know of dire around daily dressed like special forces, or whatever the OP said .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, I'm just going to assume you didn't see the pictures of the 20+ troopers that showed up to Tanana in full assault gear, with suppressed SBR ARs and all?

This.

I demand it too. What I am saying is that no patrolmen that I know of dire around daily dressed like special forces, or whatever the OP said .

Its the hats man...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know why you think guns are special and somehow exempt from the law. It is not reasonable for a cop to take my gun during a traffic stop or normal encounter. I was born and raised in AK and the city cops never took my gun when they pulled me over. I now live in Nevada and have been stopped by city cops, sheriffs, and highway patrol. None of them gave two shits about me having a gun and certainly didn't feel the need to disarm me under the guise of checking for stolen property.

View Quote

Officers who secure guns on stops do so primarily for officer safety purposes, not for locating stolen property
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Officers who secure guns on stops do so primarily for officer safety purposes, not for locating stolen property
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem with that but why do I despise shaved heads so much?

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know, these State Troopers up in Alaska have a legitimately dangerous job, arguably far wost than any LEO in the lower 48 - yet they still don't intimidate the citizens with Special Forces gear and loadouts like many of these large cities do.  

These Alaska State Troopers still look professional, sharp all while still wearing protective gear.  This is how LEO should carry themselves.

In my opinion, I will actually respect a LEO much more if they present themselves like this - oppose to the traffic-ticket-writing city cop with MARPAT BDU's, boonie hat and desert boots.

When Law Enforcement dress conservative, professional like these guys, to me - they are showing the citizen respect by not trying to intimidate them, and in turn I am certain it will result in more return respect for the LEO's.  

As for the 2 state troopers who just lost their lives, RIP.  I have respect for these guys, they have a dangerous job up there.  It doesn't look like alot of slapdicks slip through the cracks in a work environment like Alaska State Troopers...these guys all seem squared away and professional from what I gather....

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2011/02/12/22/5824358.100716.original.aurora_standalone.prod_affiliate.7.jpg
View Quote

Was it these 2? I remember the one on the left, he was a very decent guy. RIP
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News flash, their perceived safety doesn't trump my rights. If they have some legitimate reason that is a different story.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So your take on it is that officers shouldn't be able to secure the weapon for any reason during a traffic stop, am I understanding your position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't reasonable to seize and search any property for a simple traffic stop.

So your take on it is that officers shouldn't be able to secure the weapon for any reason during a traffic stop, am I understanding your position?

For just a simple traffic stop where no other evidence exists of an arrestable crime, correct.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does it enhance officer safety?

God forbid, if some asshole wants to shoot at the police do you think another law is going to stop them?

Let's see, murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and I am sure a long list of other serious crimes where the penalties range from decades in prison to death, if those are not enough to stop an individual wanting to shoot a police officer then a misdemeanor misconduct with a weapon won't either.  

Good tactics and training will save officers life's from sick individuals....not laws.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

God forbid, if some asshole wants to shoot at the police do you think another law is going to stop them?

Let's see, murder, attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and I am sure a long list of other serious crimes where the penalties range from decades in prison to death, if those are not enough to stop an individual wanting to shoot a police officer then a misdemeanor misconduct with a weapon won't either.  

Good tactics and training will save officers life's from sick individuals....not laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An officer (who's a member here), recently disarmed an OC who was involved in a domestic disturbance taking place in a parking lot.  This example comes to mind when I read the above posts, that incident warranted that type of response from the responding LEO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Its really too bad that some people are a complete mistake.

RIP troopers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

An officer (who's a member here), recently disarmed an OC who was involved in a domestic disturbance taking place in a parking lot.  This example comes to mind when I read the above posts, that incident warranted that type of response from the responding LEO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there was likely reasonable suspicion of a crime where someone is going to jail.  Not at all the same thing compared to a traffic stop where no other evidence of a crime where a person can be arrested exists.

That still doesn't mean a law served any utility in preventing a shooting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For just a simple traffic stop where no other evidence exists of an arrestable crime, correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't reasonable to seize and search any property for a simple traffic stop.

The safest place for my handgun is in it's holster, not someone fiddle-fucking around with it on the side of the road.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

News flash, their perceived safety doesn't trump my rights. If they have some legitimate reason that is a different story.
View Quote

Newsflash, the officer controls the stop and its their choice to make
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is unreasonable (at least it should be) for a simple traffic violation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The answer should be obvious. The officers who practice this believe they're removing a weapon from the control of the driver for the duration and they believe that doing so is good tactics and training.
I already know the typical arguments used here that if the driver wanted to hurt the officer they'd have done so on approach.
You wont convince officers who follow this practice that its not a good tactic

Quoted:

That's your opinion.
There was a permit holder a couple of years ago who shot the officer over a "simple traffic violation"
As long as there are cases like that there will be officers who secure the firearms of drivers
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The answer should be obvious. The officers who practice this believe they're removing a weapon from the control of the driver for the duration and they believe that doing so is good tactics and training.
I already know the typical arguments used here that if the driver wanted to hurt the officer they'd have done so on approach.

That's your opinion.
There was a permit holder a couple of years ago who shot the officer over a "simple traffic violation"
As long as there are cases like that there will be officers who secure the firearms of drivers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.

Okay nobody can help police who won't follow simple logic.  Their failure doesn't somehow make them correct.

It's more of a logic flow than an opinion.

If you and other officers would like to let emotion run your decisions vs. logic and reason be prepared to come under criticism.

So how many laws did that CCW violate?  Do you think a law to notify would have saved the cops life when the scumbag was willing to murder someone?

You don't trust someone with a firearm on a stop...yet you trust them to tell you that they are carrying a weapon so you can secure that weapon...derp.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay nobody can help police who won't follow simple logic.  Their failure doesn't somehow make them correct.

If you and other officers would like to let emotion run your decisions vs. logic and reason be prepared to come under criticism.

So how many laws did that CCW violate?  Do you think a law to notify would have saved the cops life when the scumbag was willing to murder someone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's your opinion.

Its an opinion. You think something oughtta be a certain way
There was a thread about the shooting. I am sure you can dig it up out of the archives.
As with any other thread here, none of us here were there.
In the minds of officers who secure guns for the duration of the stop they are securing a means the driver could use to assault or kill them.
Their decision is as logical to them as you believe your counter-arguments are in your mind.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Its an opinion. You think something oughtta be a certain way
There was a thread about the shooting. I am sure you can dig it up out of the archives.
As with any other thread here, none of us here were there.
In the minds of officers who secure guns for the duration of the stop they are securing a means the driver could use to assault or kill them.
Their decision is as logical to them as you believe your counter-arguments are in your mind.
View Quote

There is no valid counter argument...because it isn't logical.  It is based on emotion.

If someone is going to assault an officer they are not going to tell them about the weapon in the first place.

It is truly freighting that their are people with legitimate authority not capable of a simple logic flow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is no valid counter argument...because it isn't logical.  It is based on emotion.

If someone is going to assault an officer they are not going to tell them about the weapon in the first place.

It is truly freighting that their are people with legitimate authority not capable of a simple logic flow.
View Quote

I gave you an example of a permit holder who shot the officer
As long as such incidents exist its not just emotion
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said a permit holder shot an officer...you didn't say if that holder told the officer he had a weapon.

So not blaming the officer for some shitstain shooting him.  He would have been better off assuming the person was armed at all times and using proper tactics.

It's not logical.  The decision is based on a feeling.  Officers secure weapons to "feel" better.  They have no clue if there are more weapons in the vehicle.  If anything it breeds complacency and distracts the officer while he/she is securing the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it saves only one child............

I assume you are a cop or were a cop. In case you were wondering why the general population is less and less willing to stand up for cops when they are in trouble you should pay close attention to your own posts.

Because some asshole somewhere shot a cop does not make it ok to violate the rights of millions of others.

Can you explain how officers somehow safely manage to handle people without "securing" their weapons all over the country yet you make it sound like its necessary to survive.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And there was likely reasonable suspicion of a crime where someone is going to jail.  Not at all the same thing compared to a traffic stop where no other evidence of a crime where a person can be arrested exists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you can't be arrested on a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you'd care to explain how handling a loaded firearm, passing it back and forth, and generally fucking with it is "safer" ?

I'll await what I'm sure will be a dazzling and urbane discussion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Wait, you can't be arrested on a traffic stop?
View Quote

In most states, nope.  Most traffic law penalties are infractions.  They can detain you but not arrest you while they issue the summons/ticket.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Alaskans are a funny breed.

If you are a good cop making a legitimate bust even some of the druggies and thugs will back you up.

OTOH if you are just being a jerk making life miserable for someone for no good reason and you find your hands full. You will find that some enterprising soul has set up bleachers and a popcorn stand so everyone can be entertained.

The AST are VERY community driven.

Fairweather Day, 1985. Yukatat, AK. On the beach at the party. Several guys with fireworks acting somewhat irresponsibly. This includes some of the most serious cherry bombs I have ever seen.

Enter the trooper.

"Hey, guys. How about if you just take those things down the beach about fifty yards or so and give the rest of us a show."

"We can do that."

"Thanks. Got any mortars?"

These people are trained in public safety and are given a lot of latitude in using common sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had to take a wild ass guess as to why AST are so professional and community driven (besides the fact that they are professionals and community driven), I would say it is because they need the communities support if things go bad. LEOs a lot of the lower 48 have backup available within minutes, their backup is hours or even days away. You would really not want to piss off the people who will be rushing to your aid when shit gets out of hand.

Alaskans are a funny breed.

If you are a good cop making a legitimate bust even some of the druggies and thugs will back you up.

OTOH if you are just being a jerk making life miserable for someone for no good reason and you find your hands full. You will find that some enterprising soul has set up bleachers and a popcorn stand so everyone can be entertained.

The AST are VERY community driven.

Fairweather Day, 1985. Yukatat, AK. On the beach at the party. Several guys with fireworks acting somewhat irresponsibly. This includes some of the most serious cherry bombs I have ever seen.

Enter the trooper.

"Hey, guys. How about if you just take those things down the beach about fifty yards or so and give the rest of us a show."

"We can do that."

"Thanks. Got any mortars?"

These people are trained in public safety and are given a lot of latitude in using common sense.

If everyone, not just LEOs treated everyone this way instead of flying off the handle all the time, we wouldn't need to carry guns half the time.

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Can you explain how officers somehow safely manage to handle people without "securing" their weapons all over the country yet you make it sound like its necessary to survive.
View Quote

Luck and complacency
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Bama-Shooter: here as soon as  the cop runs my DL (Auto plates?) they know I have a permit to carry.  

I've only had contact with LE once while packing with my permit.  I told the LE taking my information I was packing and had a permit, he had no interest in it beyond that and kept taking notes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Perhaps you'd care to explain how handling a loaded firearm, passing it back and forth, and generally fucking with it is "safer" ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not done for safety.  It is done under the guise of safety so the serial number can be run.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I know I'm 4 pages late, but I felt like someone needed to break this to the OP...

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Luck and complacency
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luck and complacency

Well alrighty then mr jack boot. I always thought it was due to intelligence and good training that all these cops stated alive.

If a bad guy wants to shoot a cop he will do so and there really isn't anything you can do to stop it. Violating the rights of the rest of us is not acceptable.

I get the feeling you just don't get it and never will.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well alrighty then mr jack boot.
View Quote

We're done
Have a good life
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We're done
Have a good life
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well alrighty then mr jack boot.

We're done
Have a good life

You too
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That is a lot of words to not answer my question. Would you be ok with them checking everything??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it not ok to check every single item of value you have and run it through the database? Phone, Laptop, any electronics etc. Where the hell do you draw the line. Oh but its ok because tc556guy might get his stuff back

As always. That is his SOP for questions.  Don't waste your time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

My response answered his question
If neither of you can see that, I can't help you
You guys can go troll elsewhere
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a troll just because I disagree with how you think these cops should operate.

I singled you out because of your responses and no other reason. I felt it was pretty arrogant to say the only reason so many cops are alive is complacency and luck. Kind of a insult to all of them that have out their life into actually upholding out rights and their oath.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top