Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The federal goverent has not "outlawed" Alex Jones, nor have they put him in jail or "fined" him. AJ lost a civil case brought against him by a fellow citizen(s).

Your example would actually violate the First Amendment.  This post is a great example of how utterly clueless you are regarding this issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will take a page out of your book.

I wish the federal government would outlaw you.  Put you in jail or fine you 45 million for all these type posts you have made on internet forums.  

See how statist a thought that is?  Probably not, doubt you can see it.

The federal goverent has not "outlawed" Alex Jones, nor have they put him in jail or "fined" him. AJ lost a civil case brought against him by a fellow citizen(s).

Your example would actually violate the First Amendment.  This post is a great example of how utterly clueless you are regarding this issue.
Quoting just cuz
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
QFT.

Look carefully at the enemies and detractors Alex Jones has. You will soon realize that they are all the same type of people.
View Quote

IQ above potato?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why are you hung up on the "No names". It is no secret who the parents of the Sandy Hook victims are, and there aren't that many of them.

Your point is entirely irrelevant.
View Quote
And you did just what I said you would
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IQ above potato?
View Quote
Go snort some more Blue Sky off of your knife.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I think a lot of times where people talk past each other are the more difficult issues.

I mean Sandman was mentioned and that's definitely a news outlet, right? I think we would agree it is, for sure. Also generally speaking people are allowed their opinion. I mean I can say I don't like NBCMarine because he's espouses Russian talking points and I'm fine.

So where does Alex Jones fit in? And that's legit up for debate and I don't have an answer. Everyone seems to have an opinion on everything but there's no real standard. The left said Andy Ngo isn't a journalist, I have no opinion either way on that. Rachel Maddow successfully avoided a defamation lawsuit by saying "Are you kidding me? Anyone who thinks I'm news is retarded." And won. Which is basically kinda what Alex is saying.

So is anyone who picks up a camera a reporter? Maybe you need to make money from it? But if money is the test, then does a super chat donation count? If no, what amount of money makes it count?

With both sides running very obvious opinion pieces, how does that factor into liability for a news organization? Can they have no opinion pieces? If they can have opinion pieces are they protected but news anchors are not?

If Jones is clearly just a water filter peddling shill, should he be treated as a news organization?

There's a lot of larger problems at work here, and honestly I'm not really sure what the answer is.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I think if you forced me into a decision I would say no money for Sandman and no money for Sandy Hook.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And you did just what I said you would
View Quote

Since you seem intent on remaining willfully ignorant, here is the first parent that Jones defamed, by name, on his show.

https://infowarslawsuit.com/heslin-versus-jones/
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think if you forced me into a decision I would say no money for Sandman and no money for Sandy Hook.
View Quote

Wait, so slander/libel/defamation shouldn't be civil torts?  

They didn't become so by accident, you know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
My personal opinion is they are different because Jones took pot shots at broad event that offers deflection for any one person in the event.  

Sandmann was singled out.  And terrible lies were attributed to him personally, by "legit" news agencies reporting the "news" that they lied and skewed.

Who watches Alex Jones and hangs on their seat with every word as the truth.  The dude plays the news and facts loosely while offering a spectacle.  

I do not believe he got it right on Sandy Hook.  Nor do I think he got it right on 9/11.  I don't watch him other than clips posted on this site or maybe twitter.  I have read the news about him.  

Sandmann and Jones are just two different things to me.  If somebody wants to argue they are the same, we can debate respectfully.  To tell me my version is clueless or try to make their OPINION fact is deleted for CoC reasons.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me spoon feed you since you have trouble sounding it out.  He was specifcially attacked and defamed.  They lied about him specifically attributing things he did not do.  They made him into a racist.  

I have seen AJ call out no names.  Just be clown shoes about the whole event.  That hurt some feelz, including yours.  I think it was classless but not 45 million classless.

Try, if you can, to wrap your cluelessness around that.
View Quote

So NOW it's okay to "violate" someone's First Amendment right IF they use your name specifically?

Not to mention the fact AJ accused specific family members of being crisis actors. So your entire argument falls apart when he posted videos of them on his show. He specifically accused them of being crisis actors and a part of a hoax that was 100% true.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was Sandman a public figure or just a private citizen slandered by CNN? One could argue that some of the Sandy Hook families were public figures as they took their stories to the news to do interviews about gun control and their loss. Once they consented to being on news networks to espouse their views they could be scrutinized as public figures without civil penalties.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So NOW it's okay to "violate" someone's First Amendment right IF they use your name specifically?

Not to mention the fact AJ accused specific family members of being crisis actors. So your entire argument falls apart when he posted videos of them on his show.
View Quote
LOL, ok man.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you forced me into a decision. For the sake of argument.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Libel, slander, and defamation have the potential to destroy lives.

They are civil torts for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was Sandman a public figure or just a private citizen slandered by CNN? One could argue that some of the Sandy Hook families were public figures as they took their stories to the news to do interviews about gun control and their loss. Once they consented to being on news networks to espouse their views they could be scrutinized as public figures without civil penalties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have thought about that as well, and agree. But also Jones is clearly a public figure as well.

I don't care if Alex goes bankrupt personally, in fact it would benefit me by him offering shitpost cameos. But that doesn't make it right. And what I'm saying is the entire issue is pretty difficult to dissect.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Curious to see if any of them will show up to defend CNN’s “freedom” to defame Sandmann.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/12/nicholas-sandmann-937.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=744

So which is this guy? A freedom loving American or a big government regulation loving statist who violated CNN's first amenent rights?

Curious to see if any of them will show up to defend CNN’s “freedom” to defame Sandmann.

I heard his case was thrown out. I also don't think the cases are comparable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well you heard wrong. CNN settled with Sandmann for an undisclosed amount.

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

And the cases are perfectly analogous. A media outlet spreading bullshit about innocent people which negatively impacted their lives.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always taken you for a libertarian leaning ancap, much like Honda. Meaning neither of you liked Trump because you were disappointed in his decisions and actions because they didn't align with your sense of how the world should be.

I too agree the world is really fucked up. I also would like more liberty.

To quote Walter Block:

But what is a person’s “reputation”? What is this thing
which may not be “taken lightly”? Clearly, it is not a possession
which may be said to belong to him in the way, for example, his
clothes do. In fact, a person’s reputation does not “belong” to
him at all. A person’s reputation is what other people think of
him; it consists of the thoughts which other people have.
A man does not own his reputation any more than he owns
the thoughts of others—because that is all his reputation con-
sists of. A man’s reputation cannot be stolen from him any more
than can the thoughts of other people be stolen from him.
Whether his reputation was “taken from him” by fair means or
foul, by truth or falsehood, he did not own it in the first place
and, hence, should have no recourse to the law for damages.
What then are we doing when we object to, or prohibit,
libel? We are prohibiting someone from affecting or trying to
affect the thoughts of other people. But what does the right of free
speech mean if not that we are all free to try to affect the
thoughts of those around us? So we must conclude that libel
and slander are consistent with the rights of free speech.
Finally, paradoxical though it may be, reputations would
probably be more secure without the laws which prohibit
libelous speech! With the present laws prohibiting libelous false-
hoods, there is a natural tendency to believe any publicized slur
on someone’s character. “It would not be printed if it were not
true,” reasons the gullible public. If libel and slander were
allowed, however, the public would not be so easily deceived.
Attacks would come so thick and fast that they would have to be
substantiated before they could have any impact. Agencies simi-
lar to Consumers Union or the Better Business Bureau might be organized to meet the public’s demand for accurate scurrilous
information.
The public would soon learn to digest and evaluate the state-
ments of libelers and slanderers—if the latter were allowed free
rein. No longer would a libeler or slanderer have the automatic
power to ruin a person’s reputation.

Link here: Mises.org - Defending the Undefendable
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Alex Jones is a piece of shit who made millions with a business model built around pandering bullshit to stupid people who could be convinced he is a great man.
View Quote

You said my feelings in a CoC approved manner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

And the cases are perfectly analogous. A media outlet spreading bullshit about innocent people which negatively impacted their lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

Cause they attacked a kid with lies on a specific and personal basis.  Doing damage to him calling him a racist among other things.  During the height of hot button racism dog whistle.  

What jones did was not what they did.  He was wrong.  Did he stop them from earning future wages?  Did he cause them to be ostracized by an entire nation of woke sheep?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have thought about that as well, and agree. But also Jones is clearly a public figure as well.

I don't care if Alex goes bankrupt personally, in fact it would benefit me by him offering shitpost cameos. But that doesn't make it right. And what I'm saying is the entire issue is pretty difficult to dissect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way Alex goes under. Infowars and banned.video will stay up as long as he's alive. Whoever donated the 7mil in Bitcoin will probably make another big donation and they'll pay off the families and go back to work. AJ has repeatedly apologized and said sandy hook was real and that they got it wrong. I don't remember cnn ever apologizing and admitting they got it wrong on sandman or Rittenhouse
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cause they attacked a kid with lies on a specific and personal basis.  Doing damage to him calling him a racist among other things.  During the height of hot button racism dog whistle.  

What jones did was not what they did.  He was wrong.  Did he stop them from earning future wages?  Did he cause them to be ostracized by an entire nation of woke sheep?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

I don't see how alexs comments hurt those families other than their feelings. Sandman was labeled a racist nationally
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jones did exactly that.   He attacked people, specifically and identifiably with wild false accusations.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think a lot of times where people talk past each other are the more difficult issues.

I mean Sandman was mentioned and that's definitely a news outlet, right? I think we would agree it is, for sure. Also generally speaking people are allowed their opinion. I mean I can say I don't like NBCMarine because he's espouses Russian talking points and I'm fine.

So where does Alex Jones fit in? And that's legit up for debate and I don't have an answer. Everyone seems to have an opinion on everything but there's no real standard. The left said Andy Ngo isn't a journalist, I have no opinion either way on that. Rachel Maddow successfully avoided a defamation lawsuit by saying "Are you kidding me? Anyone who thinks I'm news is retarded." And won. Which is basically kinda what Alex is saying.

So is anyone who picks up a camera a reporter? Maybe you need to make money from it? But if money is the test, then does a super chat donation count? If no, what amount of money makes it count?

With both sides running very obvious opinion pieces, how does that factor into liability for a news organization? Can they have no opinion pieces? If they can have opinion pieces are they protected but news anchors are not?

If Jones is clearly just a water filter peddling shill, should he be treated as a news organization?

There's a lot of larger problems at work here, and honestly I'm not really sure what the answer is.
View Quote

Hold my beer watch this.
Alex Jones Jesse Ventura 2024.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't see how alexs comments hurt those families other than their feelings. Sandman was labeled a racist nationally
View Quote
I mostly agree with you.  I am not sure what he did to them to prevent them from earning a living.  Meanwhile Sandmann was untouchable until the truth started to surface and even then they denied him and painted him as a racist.

Their claim that these events, Sandmann and Sandy Hook are equal is complete and utter bullshit.  Neither was a good thing though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Jones did exactly that.   He attacked people, specifically and identifiably with wild false accusations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those accusations, which he apologized for and said he was wrong, how did they hurt those families other than their feelings
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you "know what team I play for", but won't say it?  Come on.

When you are forced to resort to irrelevant ad hominems and memes, instead of actual points, recognize you lost the debate.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crazykat-330.gif
That cat even knows it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hold my beer watch this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold my beer watch this.

No no Alex Jones as press secretary would be the best
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
And stopped them from ever earning a dime again, with that status quo?  Cause Sandmann was damaged.  NOBODY was ever gonna touch him.  He was a kid with no hope for future employment through any major company, unless he bent the knee to a narrative that was a lie.

Your statement is BULLSHIT.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold my beer watch this.

Can we start a petition on change.org? When Trump gets elected in 24, make AJ press secretary. That'd be the greatest thing in the entire world
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did NBC.

And the Washington Post.

No, You're wrong, he heard right.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/nick-sandmann-responds-after-judge-tosses-lawsuits-against-5-media-companies

U.S. District Judge William O. Bertelsman on Tuesday dismissed Sandmann's lawsuits against The New York Times, CBS News, ABC News, Gannett, and Rolling Stone magazine.
Dateline July 28
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And those accusations, which he apologized for and said he was wrong, how did they hurt those families other than their feelings
View Quote

You mean aside from the death threats and constant harassment?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you admit calling a kid a racist in front of a national audience equates to “damages”.

But somehow calling the parents of murdered children crisis actors in front of a national audience, doesn’t. Alex Jones mocking a parent for holding their child with a bullet hole in its head as a crisis actor which resulted in years of harassment and death threats isn’t “damages”.

Got it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I missed where Alex Jones did that. When was that? Because what his fans do, isn't his responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I mostly agree with you.  I am not sure what he did to them to prevent them from earning a living.  Meanwhile Sandmann was untouchable until the truth started to surface and even then they denied him and painted him as a racist.

Their claim that these events, Sandmann and Sandy Hook are equal is complete and utter bullshit.  Neither was a good thing though.
View Quote

Damages don’t have to be monetary, and liability does exist for causing emotional distress.

This is basic stuff Lug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_infliction_of_emotional_distress
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Well how about that. I’ll stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Can we start a petition on change.org? When Trump gets elected in 24, make AJ press secretary. That'd be the greatest thing in the entire world
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold my beer watch this.

Reporters will be crying live on tv.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So you admit calling a kid a racist in front of a national audience equates to “damages”.

But somehow calling the parents of murdered children crisis actors in front of a national audience, doesn’t. Alex Jones mocking a parent for holding their child with a bullet hole in its head as a crisis actor which resulted in years of harassment and death threats isn’t “damages”.

Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

No, it's just a shitty thing to say. And AJ didn't come up with the sandy hook theories. He read articles and talked to people who talked about the crisis actors and whatnot. To me, the biggest difference between AJ and sandman is that AJ apologized multiple times and said he was wrong. That never happened with sandman or Rittenhouse
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold my beer watch this.

I think Trump is beyond shitpost phase and seems to be developing coherent plans. This will make stuff a lot less fun if he gets reelected.

Thankfully he himself is still ridiculous. But all the turmoil I loved. Think about it, this guy just shitposts populist stream of consciousness while at the same time the government hates him so (except for covid money printing and judicial appointments) nothing gets done

I'm telling you this will be a cool thing to have lived through depending on who writes the history books. Even an objective view on Trump would be interesting to read in 2100
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh I missed where Alex Jones did that. When was that? Because what his fans do, isn't his responsibility.
View Quote

Are you capable of following a train of thought from A to B to C?

Alex Jones made false statements.

"OH but its not like those people suffered any consequences as a result!"

"Yes, they did.   People made death threats and constantly harrassed them on the basis of those statements."

"YEAH, but JONES didn't make those threats!"

Jesus Fucking Christ.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought I heard that correctly. I heard it on..... Infowars. Lmao
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glorious!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Everyone is going to scroll by my Block post about how you don't own your reputation, but it's a really interesting position to consider.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"Yes, they did.   People made death threats and constantly harrassed them on the basis of those statements."

Jesus Fucking Christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Lol calm down. I don't agree with you. I didn't kick your dog
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you admit calling a kid a racist in front of a national audience equates to "damages".

But somehow calling the parents of murdered children crisis actors in front of a national audience, doesn't. Alex Jones mocking a parent for holding their child with a bullet hole in its head as a crisis actor which resulted in years of harassment and death threats isn't "damages".

Got it.
View Quote
NO.....follow slowly, sound it out so you get it right.

When they lie about him that causes him to be untouchable and a pariah by an entire nation, because that is what happened to Sandmann.  NOBODY wanted anything to do with that kid.  EVERY LIBERAL branded him racist.  His future was bleak.

But you have a tendency to write narratives that fit your way of thinking, and to mask any real facts that could also be entered.  

Please show me how the country responded in kind to the parents who were wronged by Alex Jones bullshit.  Further more, enter into evidence as stated earlier, how those very parents were putting themselves out there with public opinions on gun control on many news outlets.  Who's to say their woes came from AJ and not their own vitriol against gun rights.  I don't know.

But you will make up some gibberish to try to make this story lean your way again, excluding every fact that might counterpoint your opinion.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Everyone is going to scroll by my Block post about how you don't own your reputation, but it's a really interesting position to consider.
View Quote

I read it. It is an interesting opinion, though it’s not one I share.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damages don't have to be monetary, and liability does exist for causing emotional distress.

This is basic stuff Lug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_infliction_of_emotional_distress
View Quote
In your world with your people its all about the feelz though it seems.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well how about that. I'll stand corrected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well how about that. I'll stand corrected.

And you admitted it.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol calm down. I don't agree with you. I didn't kick your dog
View Quote

No, you don't agree with reality in a 5 fucking minute sequence.  

Its not like we went down a deep dark rabbit hole where the original argument got muddied with 16 different rabbit trails.

A.  To B.  To C.

You blew the tracks with an idiot bomb and derailed the train before it got to C.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When they lie about him that causes him to be untouchable and a pariah by an entire nation, because that is what happened to Sandmann.  NOBODY wanted anything to do with that kid.  EVERY LIBERAL branded him racist.  His future was bleak.

But you have a tendency to write narratives that fit your way of thinking, and to mask any real facts that could also be entered.  

Please show me how the country responded in kind to the parents who were wronged by Alex Jones bullshit.  Further more, enter into evidence as stated earlier, how those very parents were putting themselves out there with public opinions on gun control on many news outlets.  Who's to say their woes came from AJ and not their own vitriol against gun rights.  I don't know.

But you will make up some gibberish to try to make this story lean your way again, excluding every fact that might counterpoint your opinion.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you admit calling a kid a racist in front of a national audience equates to "damages".

But somehow calling the parents of murdered children crisis actors in front of a national audience, doesn't. Alex Jones mocking a parent for holding their child with a bullet hole in its head as a crisis actor which resulted in years of harassment and death threats isn't "damages".

Got it.

That's a good point about them going on tv talking about guns. I didn't consider that as a possible reason they'd receive threats. I wonder if that was brought up in court, oh yea, they didn't even give him a chance to defend himself, that's right.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top