Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here’s some more gas for the fire. If you think it’s dangerous enough you need a gun in your hand it’s too dangerous to open the door. If you think it’s safe enough to open the door you don’t need a gun in your hand.
View Quote

And you only need to put on your seatbelt right before you get into an accident.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That’s fucking stupid. I said “in your hand” I didn’t say at all. Everyone should have a gun. You just might not need it. Words mean things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here’s some more gas for the fire. If you think it’s dangerous enough you need a gun in your hand it’s too dangerous to open the door. If you think it’s safe enough to open the door you don’t need a gun in your hand.

And nobody really NEEDS a gun

The whole point of carrying defensive weapon is NOT looking at how safe a location is and then not carrying.

Otherwise, you can say if it is so risky going to walmart that you need to be armed, maybe you should not go shopping.

That’s fucking stupid. I said “in your hand” I didn’t say at all. Everyone should have a gun. You just might not need it. Words mean things.

Is it illegal to hold a gun?

Should it be?  Should it not be?

Seems to me the homeowner was crystal clear in the legal right.  In large part due to the wording the police chief put out, as well as the fact he hasn't released any bodycam footage.

It is incumbent on the individuals (cops) initiating the interaction to be sure they are in the right.  Here the result was they killed a homeowner who was in his own home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Leftists absolute salivate over stories like this. And yes, it is a police state right now. I trust the police around here, but not the feds.

GBB
View Quote

They count him as a victim of “gun violence”.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it boils down to how a police officer reacts to a person in possession of a gun.

Does he assume its lawful and no threat unless actions escalate.

Or is it treating all possession of guns as a threat ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I sleep naked.

And I dont wear a holster when naked.

What if the only gun the householder has is a shotgun or rifle ?

It IS possible to look at a "civilian" holding a gun and decide he is NOT a threat.

In fact a few replies actually described times they answered the door to police holding guns. And did not get shot.

It is a fact that a small minority of police over react ( not just to seeing a gun )

I would not be in the least bit surprised if the bodycam showed the police over reacting to a gun possessed in a non threatening manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole point of carrying defensive weapon is NOT looking at how safe a location is and then not carrying.

Otherwise, you can say if it is so risky going to walmart that you need to be armed, maybe you should not go shopping.

I sleep naked.

It IS possible to look at a "civilian" holding a gun and decide he is NOT a threat.

In fact a few replies actually described times they answered the door to police holding guns. And did not get shot.

It is a fact that a small minority of police over react ( not just to seeing a gun )

I would not be in the least bit surprised if the bodycam showed the police over reacting to a gun possessed in a non threatening manner.

Do whatever you want. It’s your life. I’d just say if you felt the need for a shotgun maybe don’t open the door naked. Try asking “who is it?”

Or fling it open to the unknown in your birthday suit and wingmaster.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
NWA was right.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seems to me the homeowner was crystal clear in the legal right.  In large part due to the wording the police chief put out, as well as the fact he hasn't released any bodycam footage.

It is incumbent on the individuals (cops) initiating the interaction to be sure they are in the right.  Here the result was they killed a homeowner who was in his own home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legal does not equal smart. You can run full speed into a bank with a mask on and yell you’re making a withdrawal but that doesn’t mean it’s smart.

From what we know the cops went to the address across the street. Not smart but it happens.

Home owner opened the door with a gun in his hand. Not smart but it happens.

Being stupid can and will get you killed. It’ll ruin your career. Ruin your life. I’m just advocating for people being smarter. There ARE better smarter safer ways to respond to unknown people at your door. Do it. Don’t do it. It’s your life. People choose to not wear their seatbelt and die all the time because of it. They’re also stupid.

If the story is to be believed the cops were having dispatch call the reporting party. Had that happened in time they’d have probably come out and yelled from across the street and the cops go “oops” and walk over. They were in the process of fixing their mistake. This guy just popped open the door with a gun in his hand. Cops responding to a domestic seeing a guy with a gun come out the front door will probably start shooting sooner rather than later.

This was an absolutely shitty situation but knocking on someone’s door does not warrant the door being opened and confronted with a gun. That’s not reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Instant fix, get rid of QI.

Make them carry malpractice insurance individually.

Price cop's out of a job.

No mo po po.

View Quote

You don’t understand QI. Edgy post, tho.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Well...the Communists are in charge...so...
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Legal does not equal smart. You can run full speed into a bank with a mask on and yell you’re making a withdrawal but that doesn’t mean it’s smart.

From what we know the cops went to the address across the street. Not smart but it happens.

Being stupid can and will get you killed. It’ll ruin your career. Ruin your life. I’m just advocating for people being smarter. There ARE better smarter safer ways to respond to unknown people at your door. Do it. Don’t do it. It’s your life. People choose to not wear their seatbelt and die all the time because of it. They’re also stupid.

If the story is to be believed the cops were having dispatch call the reporting party. Had that happened in time they’d have probably come out and yelled from across the street and the cops go “oops” and walk over. They were in the process of fixing their mistake. This guy just popped open the door with a gun in his hand. Cops responding to a domestic seeing a guy with a gun come out the front door will probably start shooting sooner rather than later.

This was an absolutely shitty situation but knocking on someone’s door does not warrant the door being opened and confronted with a gun. That’s not reasonable.
View Quote

It's not particularly smart to go banging on the front doors of houses if you can't find the right address.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not particularly smart to go banging on the front doors of houses if you can't find the right address.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I said as much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And you only need to put on your seatbelt right before you get into an accident.

View Quote

No that’s as stupid as what the homeowner did.

This is more what I’m advocating.

If you’re in a moving vehicle put your seatbelt on. If you’re not in a moving vehicle you can leave it off.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah. I said as much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I said as much.

And as a society, there is a lowering tolerance for what appears to be untouchable cops who make those kinds of mistakes.  Right or wrong, society is starting to ask when is it that cops are held accountable for inexcusable actions.

The average person thinks those cops need to pay.  At least around my corner of NM.  And the lack of response from the police chief isn't helping.  A lot of us would absolutely have a gun if woken up late at night.  I know I do.  I also stay out of sight, and am careful.  However, I expect cops not to kill an innocent man when they go to the wrong house.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We had one arfcom member accuse the homeowner of answering the door in a criminal manner.
View Quote

Did he answer with a gun!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]

In this scenario - big glass part of front door - both parties could see each other.

The question remains - the Police Chief said the wife did not know they were police when she opened fire and "I GET THAT"

Why was that ?  

Maybe the lights were on in the hallway and off in the yard ?

Maybe the police did not identify themselves ?

Maybe they were acting or sounding unlike police ?

SOMETHING led the wife ( and possibly the husband ) to not be aware those at the door were police.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Instant fix, get rid of QI.

Make them carry malpractice insurance individually.

Price cop's out of a job.

No mo po po.

View Quote

How would that make society better?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
nm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We had one arfcom member accuse the homeowner of answering the door in a criminal manner.
View Quote

Was it one of the resident cops?

Those guys are unbelievable.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm a cop and I know better than to answer the door with an exposed firearm.

View Quote

Yeah, fuck that. It’s my damn house and if I feel like parading around my front yard with a gun I have every right to. Others not being able to control themselves should have no effect on my rights. You can make damned sure if I’m answering my door, and I’m not expecting you, I’m armed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are we not free citizens with rights in our own homes to have an exposed pistol opening the door to WHOEVER is on the other side? Or is this just the excuse/mentality that cops live by to blast whomever the "deem" a treat with impunity?

YES we live in a police state. Example posted. When police show up in military gear and vehicles carrying military weapons, we live in a police state.

Splain it away all you want but facts are facts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Due diligence was totally ignored but we sure do have plenty of victim blaming. The videos if ever released will clear up the conjecture.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do whatever you want. It’s your life. I’d just say if you felt the need for a shotgun maybe don’t open the door naked. Try asking “who is it?”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sleep naked.

I agree in part. I would look out a window, on camera etc first.

However, as has been pointed out, the wife had no clue they were police at first.

There has to be a reason for that.

Since we are all guessing, until bodycam confirms -my guesses......

It is possible the guy was NOT armed at first. Maybe he looked out and saw three men wearing dark clothing in the shadows ?

Maybe the occupant saw these figures holding a gun ?  And grabbed his gun accordingly.

Maybe the guy was holding the gun by his side and posing no threat but and officer over reacted ?

At the end of the day, merely holding a gun does not give an officer the right to kill you.

How about drawing your gun, shouting "Police, put the gun down" then shooting or not shooting based on the suspects actions ?

There is a big difference in terms of dynamic threat assessment between possessing a gun and pointing that gun at police.

Call me old fashioned but I believe that lethal force should only be used if you fear for your life.

And to me, seeing a guy with a gun by his side or low ready is one step away from that. I would be shouting commands at him BEFORE shooting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems like more and more the ROE cops use are the same as the military in a combat zone.  Person carrying weapon = threat = target.

Its like the bill of rights and 4th amendment don't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#26]
OP is not sober.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

So when did the Police state invade your home? Did you greet them with a firearm? Did you piss, shit, or do both in your pants? Did you tell them you are a sovereign citizen and they are trespassing on foreign soil without a passport?

Having a wrong address does not make us a Police State. It means they had the wrong address. The fact it happens means sloppy police work. Tell us you are shocked. Not every cop is related to Dick Tracy or Sherlock Holmes.
Last week I met with cops on a scam incident where someone impersonated a Customs agent. They were very professional, helpful, and polite. They gave me advice that my lawyer later confirmed as spot on. That would not be the behavior of a police state. One policeman even had his wife approached by the same con and recognized it for what it was. My tax money is well invested.

If you see uniformed cops at the door, you don't greet them with a drawn gun. Don't be paranoid. You need professional counseling if you believe that panic attack bull of a police state.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
That is nothing. A few years back, cops at the wrong address, killed the shit out of teen boy after he opened the front door. He was "armed" with a white Wii controller. A Wii controller is a white, slender retangular stick.

BAM, BAM, BAM! (at the door)

Kid walks away from his game, opened door..

"GUN!"...BOOM!

Dead kid, with white stick in hand.

Much protected, much served.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am actually pro cop but I am also pro accountability. We seem to be in a national shortage of the latter.
View Quote

No words were ever typed on this board.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#30]
lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He was groveling in a criminal manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose that would be anything other than bow and grovel

He was groveling in a criminal manner.

Watch the Simon Sez killing of that poor guy in the hotel. That guy made the mistake of trying to pull up his gym shorts. They had him crying, on his knees before they murdered him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Moved here from another country in 2015.  It’s always been a police state. You never truly understand this until you’ve lived in another country.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How would that make society better?
View Quote

Crime and criminals would receive true justice
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As a serious question, how is it becoming/ has been so common for police to respond to a wrong address?
Seems like glaring stupidity that we should demand to be unacceptable under any circumstance.
I don’t support the idea of a federal police force, but it does seem like standards need to be raised across the board.
View Quote

Criminal negligence statutes. Allow judges to be imprisoned for rubber stamping.

If you roll a stop sign there's an army standing by to separate you from your money. The government and their agents are allowed to fuck up in perpetuity without a whisper.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess what he does for a living to say something as stupid as that. I kinda remember that guy saying that
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Safer to look at the door camera.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mods refused to apply the CoC in the last one... would be surprised to see this one get locked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL

Mods refused to apply the CoC in the last one... would be surprised to see this one get locked.

Curious, which rule is being violated. Not all LE depts are like this. But it seems to be a pattern in certain areas of the country.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am actually pro cop but I am also pro accountability. We seem to be in a national shortage of the latter.
View Quote

From what I've seen posted here by some. You can't be both. You must be one or the other. Which is sad
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I'm not saying you do not have a right to do so. It's your home and you can do whatever you want. But again, in today's environment, it'd not be wise. I always have a weapon when someone I do not know knocks on my door. But at night, your damn Skippy I will be armed. I carry when I take the dog out.

But I use common sense also. I will not walk to the door exposed where whoever is there can see it. I like surprising them if they try something. Plus, I have 7 ring cameras set up everywhere on my property. I'd know they were at my house long before they got to the door.

I think some have mistook the above poster's comment a little out of context.

But the problem is you can't tell the good cops from the bad ones. They all dress a like. I agree also. They are too quick to shoot you today. LE agencies, I think, because of people not wanting to go into LE today. They have to dig a little deeper into the barrel of those who apply. Then, hire those that they'd never had considered in the pass. I blame the Democratic Socialist dictatorship and Soros DAs on this and their attacks on LE agencies and not prosecuting those arrested.

So in the end there are LEOs out there who should never be in uniform in the first place. But there are corrupted LE agencies around. We had/have a few in Florida. That walk in the Grey areas.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

However, as has been pointed out, the wife had no clue they were police at first.

It is possible the guy was NOT armed at first. Maybe he looked out and saw three men wearing dark clothing in the shadows ?

Maybe the occupant saw these figures holding a gun ?  And grabbed his gun accordingly.

Maybe the guy was holding the gun by his side and posing no threat but and officer over reacted ?

At the end of the day, merely holding a gun does not give an officer the right to kill you.

How about drawing your gun, shouting "Police, put the gun down" then shooting or not shooting based on the suspects actions ?

There is a big difference in terms of dynamic threat assessment between possessing a gun and pointing that gun at police.

Call me old fashioned but I believe that lethal force should only be used if you fear for your life.

And to me, seeing a guy with a gun by his side or low ready is one step away from that. I would be shouting commands at him BEFORE shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sleep naked.

I will disagree with the shouting part. The police should identify themselves in a decent, maybe slightly raised tone of voice. If you open your door and somebody starts shouting at you, that is not going to defuse the situation, it will only make it worse. After the homeowner knows it is the police and not someone wanting to rob them, then have them put the gun down.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Moved here from another country in 2015.  It’s always been a police state. You never truly understand this until you’ve lived in another country.
View Quote

The police certainly go from 0-100 faster when it comes to use of lethal force.

While that is justified in some circumstances, it is not in others.

The siege mentality attitude seems stringer here too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Let's not forget taking a knee with BLM, allowing them to loot and destroy and protecting them. Unforgivable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people, like myself, were pro cop until COVID. Now, it is like we don’t even have a 1st or 4th amendment. FBI investigating parent as domestic terrorists and such

Let's not forget taking a knee with BLM, allowing them to loot and destroy and protecting them. Unforgivable.

Or arresting the guy trying to get to his house while blocked out by BLM protestors while letting the protestors block traffic with impunity.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Join the cult if you want to do something about it....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I will disagree with the shouting part. The police should identify themselves in a decent, maybe slightly raised tone of voice. If you open your door and somebody starts shouting at you, that is not going to defuse the situation, it will only make it worse. After the homeowner knows it is the police and not someone wanting to rob them, then have them put the gun down.
View Quote

You know, I've seen a lot of videos posted online. You're right about the shouting. I've seen videos showing 2, 3 or more officers are all shouting commands at the same time. The problem was that they were all different commands. Disobey the wrong command your shot. It seems once one officer starts shooting. They all start shooting.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#45]
A thought occured to me.

While a person considering answering his door while armed might be best advised to consider how it looks to the person at the door and might make them feel threatened........

Maybe the police should be thinking the same thing ?

"Its 1130pm and dark - maybe I will call out POLICE several times just so the occupant knows who is out here"

"The occupant is inside where it is light and we are out here in the dark - I will switch on my flashlight and illuminate my badge or police insignia"

"I am sure glad I left the blue light running to bathe the whole area in blue - the occupant will notice that"

TLDNR - both parties have a duty to not appear threatening to the other party.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A thought occured to me.

While a person considering answering his door while armed might be best advised to consider how it looks to the person at the door and might make them feel threatened........

"Its 1130pm and dark - maybe I will call out POLICE several times just so the occupant knows who is out here"

"The occupant is inside where it is light and we are out here in the dark - I will switch on my flashlight and illuminate my badge or police insignia"

"I am sure glad I left the blue light running to bathe the whole area in blue - the occupant will notice that"

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Should have been wearing body armor too, this is why I don't open the door until I know who is on the otherside.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, at 11:30pm and later, I’ll let them open the door.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#49]
A local former LEO there informed me the dead man from NM has a stepson who's an LEO that he trained with.  Also tells me that almost no one he worked with in Farmington a decade back is still there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A thought occured to me.

View Quote

They knocked. They announced they were police. They had uniforms on.

Police don’t just turn the lights and siren on for every call. Not sure where that idea started. There’s usually a state code section that dictates when officers can turn on their lights. It also activates cameras and you get to review (there are three cameras in my car and one on my chest) 4 hours of video for a 1 hour domestic. Now multiply that by how many cops show up. Supervisors don’t have that time.

Now I have used my flashlight to illuminate myself especially when there are windows etc facing out and it’s dark. That’s a good idea for cold knocks. Calls for service when the occupants know you’re coming is either not necessary or stupid tactically. I’ll illuminate myself for the domestic violence suspect with a gun. Not a great plan.

Remember in the cops mind they’re there for a domestic, no one is answering and they were trying to unfuck it before this went down. Supposedly.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top