Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They could easily build the complex the next town/city over and bus them in.
View Quote

Sure, but how is that any different/less commie than building apartments there? Especially on a lot donated for the purpose?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's not what the article is talking about. They are talking about building apartments or condos.

Having lived in townhomes, duplexes, and stairwell housing in the Army, I can say that it is not a desirable situation. All it takes on one bad neighbor to ruin your whole night, weekend, or life.
View Quote

OK

Well fuck that, too. I've lived in an apartment. I won't do it, again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
It started with Obama.
He passed a law that gives money to counties to build high density. They want the high crime people to have safer neighborhoods near you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Open border is the only reason our population is currently growing.  Take out illegals, and their kin - and over the last 30 years I bet our population has been decreasing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Obviously just trying to catch up with the rest of the world,

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/9348/production/_112440773_dharavi-2.jpg
View Quote

That's what happens when you're fruitful and multiply without a plan.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It started with Obama.
He passed a law that gives money to counties to build high density. They want the high crime people to have safer neighborhoods near you.
View Quote

You aren’t wrong.

Agenda 21 or whatever it’s called now. It’s all connected.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nashville's housing market has been insane for the last decade, and only getting worse.  Too many people deciding that Nashville is so much better than the expensive areas they are fleeing, turning it into what they are fleeing by simply showing up to compete with other buyers.  Developers can't keep up with the demand, even by increasing the density of the housing (which they have been doing since the start of this housing market boom).

They are beating the affordable housing drum, as they themselves shop for expensive housing to avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of their old home.  To direct attention away from their part in making housing unaffordable, they point to the homeless camps, claiming that the cost of housing and the recent downturn in the economy (COVID) has put those people, who were financially struggling, in those camps.  They simply ignore the facts that those camps have been there since before Trump ran for president and that they have a much higher percentage of mentally ill and drug addicted residents than camps in many other cities, due to local policies making the area more attractive to the 'chronically homeless' (cops told to not hassle them unless certain conditions are met, people encouraged to hand them money for standing on street corners, etc).
View Quote
This is exactly whats going on in the bay area. There is no more land to build because the envirocommies have thousands of acres locked up for open space. Yet they bang the affordable housing drum when they could boot illegals out and have thousands of apartments and houses available. Meanwhile, the cops here have the same hands off approach to homeless. Its almost like its coordinated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
using a ski town as an example

there are good reasons for both high density living and low density living. the main downside to low density living in large separated houses is cost per capita.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every time one of these threads pop up about single family homes and population density, makes me think about that weird motherfucker that used to be a member here. Fascist cocksucker all but called for forcing Americans at gunpoint to live in high rise apartment buildings.

You don't know which person using the account was the most fascist
View Quote

Who was that? IM me if you don;t want it public.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about steamboat specifically, but the gap between the haves and have nots (as far as housing especially) is widening at an insane rate and normal, every day workers are going to end up with no options.

Where I live is a good example, quiet, semi-rural area with a pretty even mix of income levels. The median sale price for a home has risen 45% in the last 12 months and is hovering around $350k. 25 year old 1500sq ft homes that need updates are selling for $280-300k and rent for an average 1400 sq ft home is $2000/mo, $15-1600 for a 2 bed apartment. Add in that property tax valuations for many people here have skyrocketed (think $250k last year is 490k this year), $4.50 gas, and most "decent" jobs are a 20-30 mile commute minimum, and people have been straight priced out of the place they've lived for years, some their whole life. But the rub, for a lot of us, is that it would take a huge relocation, job change, leaving family, etc, to see any significant change because everything within a 50 mile circle has done the same or worse. Every place around here is hiring, but workers can't afford to stay anywhere around here and can't afford to commute anymore, something is going to have to give.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure, but how is that any different/less commie than building apartments there? Especially on a lot donated for the purpose?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could easily build the complex the next town/city over and bus them in.

The city would be cheaper to build in, and you don;t get commies living in your nice area, boosting property taxes/living off the system.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You aren’t wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It started with Obama.

You aren’t wrong.

Yup. I remember that bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The housing troubles are also bad for the local economy. Banks are reducing their hours, and restaurants are closing a few days a week because they can’t find enough workers, because staff can’t afford to live nearby in Steamboat. The ski area cut off night service because it was so short-staffed. The local medical center struggles to recruit doctors and nurses because candidates hear about how hard it will be to find housing if they move there. One bartender, David Hughes, told me his rent for one room in a four bedroom house was going up to $1,500 per person, from $900, and he was probably going to have to leave town.

“We can’t continue to exist here if employees don’t have secure housing,” says Andrew Beckler, the founder and CEO of Grass Sticks, a company that makes bamboo paddles and ski poles.

That population growth outpaced the supply of single-family homes has been very good for the pocketbooks of people who have bought them in the last few decades. Homeowners collectively have $29 billion in real estate equity, three times what they did 20 years ago, according to the Federal Reserve.
View Quote

This article is great news all around. Boomers and genxers that have been psychotic about their real estate values have finally priced service workers out of the market, so they have no one to bus their tables. The shitlib city planner is being thwarted because no one wants to live in an apartment or even a townhouse if they have the ability for even a tiny house on a quarter-acre lot. And of course existing residents are absolutely terrified of section 8 housing. These people deserve each other.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

there are good reasons for both high density living and low density living. the main downside to low density living in large separated houses is cost per capita.
View Quote

High-desnsity living belongs in the fucking cities that are already communist shit holes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey, this is how the communists roll.  
You'll take your Section 8 housing, your weekly chocolate ration, and you'll like it.  
View Quote

That is the end objective here.  If you don't know it now, you'll feel it later.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#16]
What the article fails to mention is that people S-U-C-K!!!  And, people piled on top of each other suck even more.  I believe that COVID brought out the very worst in people.  Before we moved, we had one neighbor crash a party at another neighbor's house by flipping tables, knocking food and drinks out of partygoers' hands, yelling, and threatening to call the cops.  Another neighbor stated on the Subdivision's FB page that he was declared open season on cats and would shoot any cats that strayed into his yard.  A Christmas Light Display turned into an annual airing of grievances.  We were hearing gunshots on a weekly basis.  Etc.

Count me in as one of the 60 percent of Americans that would prefer to live in a place where the homes are farther apart.  While we decreased the size of our house when we moved, we just about tripled the lot size that the house sits on.  While we are still in a subdivision, the houses are spread apart with a lot more "green space" between the homes.  The area in which we moved also has a much lower population density.  Despite moving to the country, gunshots are less frequent.  The flipside is that we lost some of the conveniences of "suburban life".  We no longer eat out as much as we used to.  Shopping trips have to be combined to save gas, and my commute time has almost doubled [canceled out by me now having to drive into work 2 days a week instead of 5 days a week].

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
If my neighbor ever donates his land for the express purpose of building a pig farm, I'm going to do everything I can to prevent the town from approving the rezoning they'd need to build it.  I don't care how much we need the ham and bacon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not when you've got camaros on cinder blocks in the front yard and shoot in the back yard.
Keeps the fags that like property taxes out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
You can  easily put 1500 single family homes on 536 acres.

Even if they all had 1/4 ac lots, that leaves over 150 ac for infrastructure, green belts, etc…

Put them on standard 7200 sq/ft lots and you’d use less than one quarter of the donated acreage.
Hell, add an extra school and/or fire substation on the leftover…

Property taxes would be greater. Long term investment would be greater. It would benefit the community far greater.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If my neighbor ever donates his land for the express purpose of building a pig farm, I'm going to do everything I can to prevent the town from approving the rezoning they'd need to build it.  I don't care how much we need the ham and bacon.
View Quote

Pig farms > section 8 and suburbia/hoa.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#21]
The libtards are showing their cards.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can  easily put 1500 single family homes on 536 acres.

Even if they all had 1/4 ac lots, that leaves over 150 ac for infrastructure, green belts, etc…

Put them on standard 7200 sq/ft lots and you’d use less than one quarter of the donated acreage.
Hell, add an extra school and/or fire substation on the leftover…

Property taxes would be greater. Long term investment would be greater. It would benefit the community far greater.
View Quote

No.

Shit can the school, replace with nuke reactor, fuel refinery, factory/production plant/assembly line.
Keep tax burden low/non existent.

Low cost of living and self sufficiency > suburbia.

Urban sprawl is precisely why soysociety/clown world is a thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Like this

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What the article fails to mention is that people S-U-C-K!!!  And, people piled on top of each other suck even more.  I believe that COVID brought out the very worst in people.  Before we moved, we had one neighbor crash a party at another neighbor's house by flipping tables, knocking food and drinks out of partygoers' hands, yelling, and threatening to call the cops.  

View Quote

And you didn't jack that fuckers jaw why?

First and foremost, he trespassed...

Second he assaulted people?

Calling cops? Null and void. Game on.

You keep a 5 pound mallet for when the threat of calling cops arrises.
Remind that fucker it takes them 20 minutes to get there. You're going to make it worthwhile and make sure that's the last thing he does with functioning hands.

I've had shit heads try that.
Crash my parties? Not even once. Tough guys like that never had their ass kicked and always go down hard with 1 jab to the jaw.
Sometimes they even cry. And they don't call cops afterwards either...

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Metropolis (1927) - The Cityscape

Metropolis (opening scenes) with score by Zack Kline
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is exactly whats going on in the bay area. There is no more land to build because the envirocommies have thousands of acres locked up for open space. Yet they bang the affordable housing drum when they could boot illegals out and have thousands of apartments and houses available. Meanwhile, the cops here have the same hands off approach to homeless. Its almost like its coordinated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nashville's housing market has been insane for the last decade, and only getting worse.  Too many people deciding that Nashville is so much better than the expensive areas they are fleeing, turning it into what they are fleeing by simply showing up to compete with other buyers.  Developers can't keep up with the demand, even by increasing the density of the housing (which they have been doing since the start of this housing market boom).

They are beating the affordable housing drum, as they themselves shop for expensive housing to avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of their old home.  To direct attention away from their part in making housing unaffordable, they point to the homeless camps, claiming that the cost of housing and the recent downturn in the economy (COVID) has put those people, who were financially struggling, in those camps.  They simply ignore the facts that those camps have been there since before Trump ran for president and that they have a much higher percentage of mentally ill and drug addicted residents than camps in many other cities, due to local policies making the area more attractive to the 'chronically homeless' (cops told to not hassle them unless certain conditions are met, people encouraged to hand them money for standing on street corners, etc).

Likely because it is coordinated.  Nashville is run by democrats and has been for ages.  

Many years ago, they started redeveloping the public housing projects, tearing down many of them and replacing them with complexes of duplexes (shifting to lower density than they had been).  This supposedly made them more livable, but created a shortage of public housing.  The obvious (to the democrats) answer to this shortage, was section 8 housing, even though Memphis had already demonstrated how that just spreads crime throughout the city.  Now that the homeless have been cultivated to grow into a noticeable problem, and made to stand out even more by herding them into the shrinking undeveloped spaces (city parks), they are being used to justify whatever the next step is in turning the city into the next failed democrat utopia.

One of the few humorous highlights of the whole process, was somewhere around 15 years ago, a Nashville councilman was complaining to the news media about how 'long term residents, many with fixed incomes,' of his district were being forced out by people that were buying houses and either fixing them up to flip, or tearing them down and building a new house to sell.  He was visibly struggling with his choice of words, as he was trying everything he could to say 'white people are ruining this black neighborhood by moving in and driving up property values', without actually saying 'white people are ruining this black neighborhood by moving in and driving up property values'.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The City planner youtube sphere is very cancerous. Most of them are leftist redditors, and it shows. There are valid reasons for things like mixed use zoning and mass transit, but very few of them are willing to present both sides of it when they make videos. It's usually "American cities suck and here's what NEEDS to be done about it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get all these videos on youtube that pop up about how much American cities suck compared to European ones. They are right about everthing thy say except for the elephant in the room. Nobody wants to live in an apartment when you can afford space. And nobody wants to ride a bike if you can afford a car.
The City planner youtube sphere is very cancerous. Most of them are leftist redditors, and it shows. There are valid reasons for things like mixed use zoning and mass transit, but very few of them are willing to present both sides of it when they make videos. It's usually "American cities suck and here's what NEEDS to be done about it."

No. The concentrated living places with public transportation in the US are by far the most popular and highest value places. The whole “people only want single family houses” Schtick is 100% bullshit.

We subsidize single family housing. We force it on people by zoning. We force car accommodations on business.

We need to stop having big govt. FORCE inefficient housing and transportation that comes with rural and suburban living.

5 over 1 is probably the best answer we have right now.

At a minimum we need to stop forcing and subsidizing Suburban, rural, car transportation living on everyone.

It’s really been a plague on us.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
America needs to kick these people out.
View Quote

exactly
bankrupting you
then telling you to be happy being a slave...only fucking liberals
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
At a minimum we need to stop forcing and subsidizing Suburban, rural, car transportation living on everyone.

It's really been a plague on us.
View Quote

A lot of Americans want that lifestyle. Look at this thread.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, uh, fuck that.  You want to decrease the population density?  Fuck it.  Start by killing off all the societal leaches that are literally oxygen thieves.  IDGAF anymore.  If it would happen I would jump for joy.  I'm sure I'm not alone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really been a plague on us.

So govt subsidization and enforcement of that housing and zoning laws is a good thing?

Its unfree market simultaneously makes the cost of living for even the poorest to sky rocket.

I am a suburban bro as well I’m just trying to tell the truth. If you ever spent serious time in a place where you can get to any part of your city by public transportation you’d understand. Yes most of the US that’s ridiculous. But only because the zoning laws that cities have been FORCED to build around.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No. The concentrated living places with public transportation in the US are by far the most popular and highest value places. The whole “people only want single family houses” Schtick is 100% bullshit.
View Quote
Jupiter Island, Martha's Vineyard, the Hamptons, etc?

The majority of the people living in NYC and the other places you're referring to would also prefer to live in a single family home, they simply can't afford to do so.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
America needs to kick these people out.
View Quote

I agree.

Though there's plenty of folks on this forum who are screaming for everyone to have more kids and if you're not you're a loser.  That we need to populate populate populate.  That's what that population leads to, everyone living on top of each other in some dense urban shit hole. Neck beards gonna neck beard though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#34]
And this gem tends to crop up from time to time:

House + property = plantation/racist roots
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#36]
The Branch Davidians tried it and look what happened to them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Internet is amazing,  quick search shows he lives in a 3/2 1500 sq ft townhouse,  worth about a million.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The majority of the people living in NYC and the other places you're referring to would also prefer to live in a single family home, they simply can't afford to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No most people in Manhattan or the decent places in New York want nothing more than to live in New York. They could afford a lot outside of New York but they don’t want that life.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So govt subsidization and enforcement of that housing and zoning laws is a good thing?

Its unfree market simultaneously makes the cost of living for even the poorest to sky rocket.

I am a suburban bro as well I'm just trying to tell the truth. If you ever spent serious time in a place where you can get to any part of your city by public transportation you'd understand. Yes most of the US that's ridiculous. But only because the zoning laws that cities have been FORCED to build around.
View Quote
I didn't say it was a good thing. I said many Americans want it, in spite of it being more restrictive as far as property rights go. I would personally be very happy in a condo with public transport and otherwise general walkable access to the surrounding area, but you won't change any minds on zoning laws if you start telling suburban and rural folk they're living life wrong and you know better than them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Open border is the only reason our population is currently growing.  Take out illegals, and their kin - and over the last 30 years I bet our population has been decreasing.
View Quote

No doubt. If they would enforce the laws and deport illegals, 11 to 15 million new vacancies would bring rent priced down really fast.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If you have a couple of kids you can live in a 1200 sq ft house. Even row houses would be better than apartments.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sounds like they know what the problem is.

So they’re going to build more apartments, only for the same investors swoop in and turn them into AirBnbs?

AirBnbs are a plague in lots of places. We have areas down here where hundreds of properties have been scooped up and turned into short-term rentals. Results are the same complaints about skyrocketing costs for the working-class.

I don’t know the solution as “muh free country”, besides stricter zoning. I personally know folks who settled in nice neighborhoods only to have the house next door turned into a kind of hotel/party house.

View Quote

Sounds like there is massive demand not being met for some reason, and you want to freaking *TIGHTEN* zoning!?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"What about single family homes?" a woman standing in the back of the meeting room asked. "Because I would like to buy one someday."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Sharing walls with people sucks.

Sharing neighborhoods with people who share walls sucks.

Just leave me alone unless I invite you over for a cookout.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#45]
No thanks, I take the seclusion and owning my own house every time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
So he wants the solution that the communists choose.

We are fucked.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#47]
here in my fair city,  the local Commissars are pushing for a property tax increase in the fall.  The money is to be used to back a $50 million bond issue that will pay for 'affordable housing' in the city.   I see it as just another wealth transfer from the producers to the recipient class.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#48]
The American dream. Brought to you by hard work and sacrifice of generation after generation.

Wait, i mean racism and appropriation. Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#49]
What one prefers and what one can afford are two very different things. Single family homes are nice, but many can’t afford them. They still need places to live, and multi-family housing satisfies that need.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll live in a high density building - As long as it had 4 foot thick walls between the neighbors, it's single story, it has 4 bedrooms and three baths, it has a three car garage with two external reserved parking places, it has a backyard that's equal to the square footage of my unit, it has no unlocked or ungated access from the outside in, and it's not within walking distance of freeway, highway, major road or thorofare and any stores or businesses.
Any public transportation must be at a centralized hub at least 5 miles from my unit with a police substation on the premises.
Public schools must be available with no bussing of students.
No homeless, any signs of gang activity and the police have permission to beat the shit out of "gangbangers".
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top