Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The LA Police Gear LNT is big, comes in at $49, and has been used by at least one NOVA Battle Buddy for a few weeks without issue.
View Quote
This or a ACU MOLLE Ruck?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm in.  My son is in.  My wife is partially in as well!

Look - I travel for work.  I have an insane 60-80 hour a week job, a 14 year old who is in sports, a daughter that's leaving for college in the fall, and all of the normal maintenance/upkeep stuff that we all complain about.  But I am *determined* to become part of this org.  I saw on Lobby Day the amazing power of us all united and this is the only way to grow that energy and power.

100% in!
View Quote
Glad to have you, brother
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You already mention "doctor" specifically,  yet include first aid classes.  I suggest waivers for othe courses, like TCCC, ATLS, etc.  I'd be willing to offer suggestions offline.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
45lbs is a lot of weight for the lightweight backpacks that I currently own. Not sure they'd make it through a ruck.

Recommendations that won't break the bank?
View Quote
I have a 40 pound weighted vest.  I stuffed it into the pack that @blackfox was giving away at the dinner before Lobby Day (5.11 Ruck 12 I think) and walked 3 miles today.  It held up great and was reasonable comfortable.  My son stuffed 40 pounds of weights into my old Drago Tracker ($40 on Amazon) and it worked great as well.

I don't think you need as rugged as a pack as you think.  As long as the straps are firmly attached and have decent cushioning you should be fine.  A sternum strap is a gift from the gods though.

I'm thinking about adding waist straps to both of the packs as well . . . but that might interfere with my pistol belt.  Still thinking that through.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sigh, I'm fucked till I get me a new knee sometime this year. It was all I could do to hobble from the bus to capital square on lobby day and all I had to carry was a pistol, jug of water, and a chair.
View Quote
That fine!  My wife probably won't ruck but will want to be involved as well.  We need *anyone* who can help out - I'm sure that @ben can foresee many tasks to be completed that don't involve intact knees ;-)
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand.

Standards should be consistent and repeatable.

Around SW VA and surrounding environs, what flat land is available is usually in pasture or developed.

Trails we have in massive abundance, almost all have a significant vertical component.  The ones not so aggressive are a few bike trails on a ridge top behind a seasonally locked gate and even the most benign of that collection has more vertical component than a flat land biking trail.

The other thought is the New River trial or VA Creeper trail as they are roughly flat.  They tend to get busy with Mtn bikers though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me talk to a couple folks and we will revisit that. Trying to keep it simple as possible at the start.
I understand.

Standards should be consistent and repeatable.

Around SW VA and surrounding environs, what flat land is available is usually in pasture or developed.

Trails we have in massive abundance, almost all have a significant vertical component.  The ones not so aggressive are a few bike trails on a ridge top behind a seasonally locked gate and even the most benign of that collection has more vertical component than a flat land biking trail.

The other thought is the New River trial or VA Creeper trail as they are roughly flat.  They tend to get busy with Mtn bikers though.
New River isn't that far away from me.

We could do a camping weekend if we can get enough folks interested.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are referring to a group outside of the thread in our HTF?  If so we need to all get on the same page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ben
Do you want to keep track of any startups at this point?  On the way back from Richmond we had already talked about our own version of the VBB. At this point we already have a small group and after talking with them today we all would like to go forward with your standards.

The only obstacle we may have is the NRA match stuff.  If anyone is already involved in NRA hi power rifle in the Greenville SC please message me. I realize its not a requirement but who doesn’t want a excuse to shoot more.

Guys I realize some of the standards and time commitments may seem a bit much but what is all this worth to you?  I saw what these guys accomplished at the rally.   Not only were many man hours of planing and personal money spent but jobs were put on the line.  What’s being proposed is nothing compared to that IMO.
Are referring to a group outside of the thread in our HTF?  If so we need to all get on the same page.
I have a group of my closest friends as a core but we would want to join up with others.  I’ll hit our hometown forum now and catch up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Another idea, and I don't know how feasible it is--coordinate with the NRA and whoever runs the prescribed radio and medical certifications to schedule a match and the classes in the same location, over a long weekend or if necessary a week?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another idea, and I don't know how feasible it is--coordinate with the NRA and whoever runs the prescribed radio and medical certifications to schedule a match and the classes in the same location, over a long weekend or if necessary a week?
View Quote
it's not the NRA to coordinate with, it's your local gun club who holds "come one, come all" NRA/CMP matches.  Schedule the other around that.

The radio certifications will be run by your local chapter of American Radio Relay League, https://www.arrl.org.  Study on your own time, show up for the test, normally don't even need to be a member of the chapter to take the test.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it's not the NRA to coordinate with, it's your local gun club who holds "come one, come all" NRA/CMP matches.  Schedule the other around that.

The radio certifications will be run by your local chapter of American Radio Relay League, https://www.arrl.org.  Study on your own time, show up for the test, normally don't even need to be a member of the chapter to take the test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gotcha, thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, thanks.
Here's the book I used.  I passed the Technician license the first time, despite missing the part of the brain that understands electronics.  Ohms, amps, watts, all make my eyes glaze over.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's (part of) the point. Summer Soldiers can do their own thing. This is for "The Few. The Proud."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm shitposting... but this seems like a lot of work OP.

To the average guy, this could be a bit too structured and involved than what he's willing to go through to be honest.  Just my opinion
That's (part of) the point. Summer Soldiers can do their own thing. This is for "The Few. The Proud."
Fuck keeping the numbers low for the sake of foolish pride.   And fuck insulting people for not meeting some fairly demanding arbitrary criteria.  We should be trying to find ways such folks can meaningfully contribute & participate, if we want the group to go anywhere, not driving them away.

Maybe the elite ranks should bear that level of exclusivity, but not the loyal dregs who form the base population.  To use the Scouting simile, it'd be like requiring fresh Webelos to already be qualified for Eagle, just to sign up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sandbags will work better than free weights. Weights will dig into your back. Look at something like this from Dueter.

I bought my son a Dueter a couple of years ago, and the quality for price is outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
45lbs is a lot of weight for the lightweight backpacks that I currently own. Not sure they'd make it through a ruck.

Recommendations that won't break the bank?
I'm in the same boat.

If armor, LBEs, helmets, and other typical equipment counted for weight I could use my gear that I have now.

Since they don't, if I want to qualify I'll have to purpose-buy a pack that won't be usable with my real gear because of the belt, and put freeweights into it since none of my real gear is heavy enough to weigh out a pack like that.

This seems to be the opposite of train-how-you-fight, and it requires me to purchase gear that will have no other use for me outside of exercise-based marching.
Sandbags will work better than free weights. Weights will dig into your back. Look at something like this from Dueter.

I bought my son a Dueter a couple of years ago, and the quality for price is outstanding.
Sand is bad; sand leaks

I've had much better luck with thick driveway sealant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck keeping the numbers low for the sake of foolish pride.   And fuck insulting people for not meeting some fairly demanding arbitrary criteria.  We should be trying to find ways such folks can meaningfully contribute & participate, if we want the group to go anywhere, not driving them away.

Maybe the elite ranks should bear that level of exclusivity, but not the loyal dregs who form the base population.  To use the Scouting simile, it'd be like requiring fresh Webelos to already be qualified for Eagle, just to sign up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm shitposting... but this seems like a lot of work OP.

To the average guy, this could be a bit too structured and involved than what he's willing to go through to be honest.  Just my opinion

you don't have to earn a rating to participate.  I seriously doubt adults are gonna be all like "Hahahaha, I'm a 3rd Class, you're not even Provisional, you fucking loser!"  If they were, the organizers would throw their ass out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t need to be a member of the particular club to sit in on a VE (exam) session.  Heck, my local club gives you a complimentary year membership when you pass a test.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys, all you need to do is show up and walk. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you set a goal, you'll need personal accountability to get there. You will also have a group of folks willing to put in the time to help you reach your goals, just ask. There is even an easily accessible and scalable workout program currently being designed and tested to help get almost everyone in good enough condition to complete the ruck and PFT standards. All you need to do is dedicate some time and effort. But it is totally up to you if you want to do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought the physical requirements were for the event(s) such as the one in Montana.  Not participation in general.

And I think you've misinterpreted the goals terribly.  Every aspect of this has been tweaked to try to bring more people into it.  The reason you're required to have witnesses that you aren't related to is to widen not only your circle, but also introduce more people to the concepts.  The physical and technical background aren't intended as a barrier to entry, more of a potential skill set learned within or outside of the group.  If you're learning the ham and medical training outside of the group, again you are widening the influence and footprint of the entire group by doing so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You guys, all you need to do is show up and walk. No one is forcing you to do anything. If you set a goal, you'll need personal accountability to get there. You will also have a group of folks willing to put in the time to help you reach your goals, just ask. There is even an easily accessible and scalable workout program currently being designed and tested to help get almost everyone in good enough condition to complete the ruck and PFT standards. All you need to do is dedicate some time and effort. But it is totally up to you if you want to do it.
View Quote
Exactly.

They're not ranks. They're ratings aka merit badges. BIG difference.

Collect as many as you like, or just show up. Our current badge says "If you had fun you won"
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of people seem to be missing the point of this.  There’s a lot of focus on how to achieve these ratings as if the primary goal of participating is to just achieve the highest rating, to the point of trying to game the qualifications.  I’m not singling out or criticizing anyone in particular.  Just noting a theme that I’ve seen develop in this thread.  
I’ve only recently learned of the Battle Buddies but it’s clear to me that one of the primary goals is to get people working together. The ratings are cool and they’re a good tool to provide motivation and goals for the individual participant, and also to be able to identify experience levels and/or leadership, but they’re not as important as everyone is making them out to be.  But they SHOULD take work and dedication to achieve.  The higher ratings SHOULD be difficult to achieve.  Most of us scoff at the idea of participation trophies.  Again, this is just an opinion from a guy who saw what the Battle Buddies can do and walked away very impressed.  I’d like to get involved in this club.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I proposed an ambitious but doable construct on the SCBB thread but it was not acceptable to some.

Driving distances and commitment of time are big concerns.

I wanted to have each of do a small instruction but as part of a monthly hike/ruck but I don’t think folks bit on that. For example Boafeng 102/201, or exercise/training for rucks etc.

If it is going to be a basic hiking club with a weighted pack then we are limiting the value of the program.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If it is going to be a basic hiking club with a weighted pack then we are limiting the value of the program.
View Quote
I don't think it's limited to that.  Ben is working on more behind the scenes.  I'm confident he would have no problem with local groups adding hip-pocket training or having planned training in conjunction with hikes, or even on the side.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Just did a practice run to make sure I was going to be able to keep pace on my own hike that I am doing with fellow Arfcommers this weekend south of Richmond, VA (link to thread)

Just under 45 lbs pack weight including the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Not a super friendly rifle slinging pack with the load lifter straps but I’ll figure it out at some point. I hit 3 miles at 51 mins with an overall 17:19 mile pace for 3.9 miles.

This group is inspiring.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A lot of people seem to be missing the point of this.  There’s a lot of focus on how to achieve these ratings as if the primary goal of participating is to just achieve the highest rating, to the point of trying to game the qualifications.  I’m not singling out or criticizing anyone in particular.  Just noting a theme that I’ve seen develop in this thread.  
I’ve only recently learned of the Battle Buddies but it’s clear to me that one of the primary goals is to get people working together. The ratings are cool and they’re a good tool to provide motivation and goals for the individual participant, and also to be able to identify experience levels and/or leadership, but they’re not as important as everyone is making them out to be.  But they SHOULD take work and dedication to achieve.  The higher ratings SHOULD be difficult to achieve.  Most of us scoff at the idea of participation trophies.  Again, this is just an opinion from a guy who saw what the Battle Buddies can do and walked away very impressed.  I’d like to get involved in this club.
View Quote
I think it may be because the rankings could make it difficult for the more fit folks to collaborate with the weaklings --that's my worry, at least.  Kinda like trying to run a military outfit without a bootcamp to supply it.  Hiking with much slower people is frustrating, but being too slow is awful, especially if you're not a teenager and won't stengthen significantly in mere weeks.  Of course, as more non-hiking activities come online that concern could fade, but there needs to be some sort of bridge between the newbie fat-guy and the lowest 'participation rung' of ABB (whether it's part of ABB or not)

It shouldn't be necessary, but we all recognize it is, given the state of physical fitness in America.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it may be because the rankings could make it difficult for the more fit folks to collaborate with the weaklings --that's my worry, at least.  Kinda like trying to run a military outfit without a bootcamp to supply it.  Hiking with much slower people is frustrating, but being too slow is awful, especially if you're not a teenager and won't stengthen significantly in mere weeks.  Of course, as more non-hiking activities come online that concern could fade, but there needs to be some sort of bridge between the newbie fat-guy and the lowest 'participation rung' of ABB (whether it's part of ABB or not)

It shouldn't be necessary, but we all recognize it is, given the state of physical fitness in America.
View Quote
At this point, you are being deliberately obtuse, trolling this thread, and should be banned from the thread.  @medicmandan
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think it's limited to that.  Ben is working on more behind the scenes.  I'm confident he would have no problem with local groups adding hip-pocket training or having planned training in conjunction with hikes, or even on the side.
View Quote
I thought same but I think it is scaring folks off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll rephrase my post from earlier. The only pressure on you that exists to do anything is put their solely by yourself. Just show up and have fun to the best of your ability. If you have issues, speak up, someone will hang back with you.

There is going to be a well thought out and tested physical preparedness program put out that will be accessible and scalable to people of nearly all fitness levels. The goal of this program is to get them to be able to get their class 3 rating then eventually their class 2, if they want to earn them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just did a practice run to make sure I was going to be able to keep pace on my own hike that I am doing with fellow Arfcommers this weekend south of Richmond, VA (link to thread)

Just under 45 lbs pack weight including the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Not a super friendly rifle slinging pack with the load lifter straps but I’ll figure it out at some point. I hit 3 miles at 51 mins with an overall 17:19 mile pace for 3.9 miles.

This group is inspiring.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418755/45687F40-E1F7-4F99-B0C6-B6CD7652E726_jpe-1251950.JPG
View Quote
3.5mph with that pack for an hour? Nice!

I'm trying real hard to look forward to carrying a 45lb pack with 6L of water on top of that...I hate TX sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I am, admittedly, all jacked up on morale and comradery from the rally so my outlook might be a bit more optimistic than usual.  But I’m surprised by the amount of timidness and consternation here about some basic fitness and skillset standards.  Especially when you’re not even required to meet the standards in order to participate.  
If you’re on the fence about this, reread all the positive and encouraging posts and disregard the negative ones.  This is a good plan and could be a great opportunity to improve your fitness and/or skills.  Not to mention build a group that can really get some things done.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am 54, just did a 9+ mile hike with a 20lb pack in grueling terrain that included scrambles, cliffs and potential death.  I also had to drive 3 hours to get to the trailhead.  My point, if you put your mind to it and you are healthy even older folks can do this stuff.  It just takes training, preparation and mental fortitude.  My sammich maker did it too.  She is also 54.
View Quote
Noted with... promise.  Thanks for the inspiration!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
If anyone is still trying to figure out how to get their Technician license there are a few good options.

The ham forum here in the Outdoors section has a good guide. Ham Radio 101
There is a free App called "Ham Test Prep" with the yellow ARRL diamond logo that has practice tests and ALL of the questions and their answers.
You could do HamTestOnline and pay for their testing/study material online. Ham Test Online
If you visit a local radio store or even amazon, there are books that are a test prep book for each level of licensing.

I did the online thing when I first started and it was nice to learn the material but its not necessary and to be honest, burnt me out because it took so long. I put it off for a few years and found the ham test app and learned the questions and answers instead. I spent a couple weeks during my lunch break and studied about 10-20 questions and wrote the answer down 3 times for each question. After I finished the whole set of questions for technician I would take the practice tests until I could score over 80% every time (Which by doing the question study first was relatively easy). It is great if you understand the material, and I think it makes it easier, but to start just learn the questions and answers so you can get your license. After that, find either a club or a friend is into the hobby and ask questions.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe there should be an auxiliary for the folks who want to participate but have mobility problems? they might have good knowledge to pass down.

Maybe there should be a basic level - like a recruit level for people to start at so they can learn the ropes and work on their PT. I don't like the work recruit but it could be something along those lines.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I really like these ideas.  And I think they're necessary at some level.

But I'm worried that parts of these requirements (a designated rank structure, weapons qualifications required for rank/rating, and holding of sanctioned events) may run afoul of the law in Texas.  Specifically, Government Code Ch 431

Now I haven't found a definition of a "military company", and I'm not worried about the "parading with firearms" bit.   But I think someone could make the case that the type of structure you've laid out has the characteristics of a military company.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but the hike(s) I'm attempting to organize in central TX are far less formalized that this, for this exact reason.

I'd like to know your thoughts, either here or in PM.  Thanks.
View Quote
Where is there to hike in central TX?   All private land.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am, admittedly, all jacked up on morale and comradery from the rally so my outlook might be a bit more optimistic than usual.  But I’m surprised by the amount of timidness and consternation here about some basic fitness and skillset standards.  Especially when you’re not even required to meet the standards in order to participate.  
If you’re on the fence about this, reread all the positive and encouraging posts and disregard the negative ones.  This is a good plan and could be a great opportunity to improve your fitness and/or skills.  Not to mention build a group that can really get some things done.
View Quote
We aren't required to meet the standard?  Okay, timidness evaporated, in that case!  No one has any excuse to not get involved, in that case.

The way the base-level reqs were phrased sure made them seem mandatory for the ABB outings, but I'm happy to hear that's not the case.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where is there to hike in central TX?   All private land.
View Quote
Depends.

While slinging long guns?  Private land.  
While testing gear, or just hiking with a pack?  State Parks, County Parks, LCRA Parks, all sorts of places.

Theres a thread in the TX HTF
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, the angst is a bit odd.  Go outside and walk.  That's step one.  Then walk a lot more until you get up to 6 miles.  That's step two. See that?  Now you know you can do the distance.  Now put on a pack and do that same 6 miles with a gallon jug of water (8lbs).  That's step three.  You can do it.

Now just add weight until you make it to 6 miles fully loaded.  For those out of shape, it's not a race.  For those like me, 54yo and 5 years post-heart attack, I may never get up to the full weight, especially in Florida heat.  But I know I can do 6 miles, and I'm increasing the weight each week to see what my limit is.  I used to run marathons up until I was 29 so I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as my arteries and stents and beta blockers cooperate

If I meet the minimum standard, cool.  If not, I'm happy to hike with some guys and be their witness.  Either way I'll be in better shape and contributing to preserving our Rights.
View Quote
Exactly what you've hear me preach when i hosted the hikes in the past.
Shiw up, hike.
Do it as heavy,as light as slow as you want.
But do it.
You'll meet cool folks and learn stuff.
Not just about your gear but what works for you and what doesnt.

Hell... ill host a hike a be dragging ass but having fun...way it should be.
No reason to get hung up on badges,flair or ranks, etc etc.
Go and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Noted with... promise.  Thanks for the inspiration!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
. Yes, that is an ice sheet under a 200ft cliff, 5 miles from the trailhead.

Rulz and all complied with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Father of three here. QFT
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Space Battle Buddies!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

[b]My PE is in Aerospace Engineering.
But, I can do an almost passable job on comms.
Space Battle Buddies!!!!
All my degrees are AE too. SBB it is!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, the angst is a bit odd.  Go outside and walk.  That's step one.  Then walk a lot more until you get up to 6 miles.  That's step two. See that?  Now you know you can do the distance.  Now put on a pack and do that same 6 miles with a gallon jug of water (8lbs).  That's step three.  You can do it.

Now just add weight until you make it to 6 miles fully loaded.  For those out of shape, it's not a race.  For those like me, 54yo and 5 years post-heart attack, I may never get up to the full weight, especially in Florida heat.  But I know I can do 6 miles, and I'm increasing the weight each week to see what my limit is.  I used to run marathons up until I was 29 so I'm cautiously optimistic, as long as my arteries and stents and beta blockers cooperate

If I meet the minimum standard, cool.  If not, I'm happy to hike with some guys and be their witness.  Either way I'll be in better shape and contributing to preserving our Rights.
View Quote
I'm doing it the other way around-started adding 20 lbs in a pack, now 30 lbs on 1-2 mile per day dog walks  with a Garmin watch measured pace under 20 minutes/mile.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#41]
@Ben

question about qualification:  Does the 3 miles of hiking with a 25/35lbs. pack for Provisional rating qualify towards the cumulative "18 miles of qualifying hike distance" total for 3rd Class rating?

c.3rd Class
1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles, and
-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@Ben

question about qualification:  Does the 3 miles of hiking with a 25/35lbs. pack for Provisional rating qualify towards the cumulative "18 miles of qualifying hike distance" total for 3rd Class rating?

c.3rd Class
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles, and
-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).
View Quote
It counts at 6mi distance +/- 10% so lets say there's a 5.6 mile loop you do.

5.6 x 3 = 16.8

So your three hikes are complete, but not your mileage. You can either extend one of those, or do a seperate (minimum 3mi) to hit both the amount of holes as well as the distance requirement
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

5.6 x 3 = 16.8

So your three hikes are complete, but not your mileage. You can either extend one of those, or do a seperate (minimum 3mi) to hit both the amount of holes as well as the distance requirement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ben

c.3rd Class

5.6 x 3 = 16.8

where I was going with that was:  do the 18 miles cumulative include the 3 miles hiked for the Provisional rating, or is the 18 miles to be done after one has earned Provisional?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
where I was going with that was:  do the 18 miles cumulative include the 3 miles hiked for the Provisional rating, or is the 18 miles to be done after one has earned Provisional?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ben

c.3rd Class

5.6 x 3 = 16.8

3 mile hikes only count for Provisional, unless it's a 4th hike to make up missed mileage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
3 mile hikes only count for Provisional, unless it's a 4th hike to make up missed mileage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ben

c.3rd Class

5.6 x 3 = 16.8

OK, now I understand. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Seriously, show up and have fun.  The comradeship and networking are a great side bonus.  Have some productive talks about how to lobby your legislators. Or other important issues in your community.

The physical stuff is to push your self.  If you seriously think you can't do it, then set a smaller goal for your self.  Don't carry as much weight.  We'll make sure you get back.

Last hike I was on, I was overly ambitious on the weight I brought.  And I didn't eat before hand.  (Also had some equipment failures).  Big fails on my part.

But we worked it out, and got everyone home safe. Still was fun.  And I fixed the stuff for the next time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lol.  Let’s not get lost in the weeds until we start the land nav.  IMO, if you do engineering related to the tasks required, it counts.  I’m a structural guy.  We could really use some people to set up networks and repeaters.  An appropriate engineer in that field should definitely use the title.

Again, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

I wonder if the Engineer rating will require a PE, or just an ABET degree and a job in the field.
Lol.  Let’s not get lost in the weeds until we start the land nav.  IMO, if you do engineering related to the tasks required, it counts.  I’m a structural guy.  We could really use some people to set up networks and repeaters.  An appropriate engineer in that field should definitely use the title.

Again, IMO.
This. Results matter. Engineers should have practical knowledge that’s actually useful. That doesn’t require a PE.

This may be the only time I don’t spam “no stamp, no engineer”.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly what you've hear me preach when i hosted the hikes in the past.
Shiw up, hike.
Do it as heavy,as light as slow as you want.
But do it.
You'll meet cool folks and learn stuff.
Not just about your gear but what works for you and what doesnt.

Hell... ill host a hike a be dragging ass but having fun...way it should be.
No reason to get hung up on badges,flair or ranks, etc etc.
Go and have fun.
View Quote
Quoted:
@Ben

c.3rd Class
View Quote
There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends to get in shape and learn or the flipside where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications/merit badges and the like.

I feel like we need to come together a bit for ABB to ever get off the ground.  Too loosey-goosey-hiking-fun-time and we'll lose hardchargers with practical skills.  Too BoyScouts-esque ridged curriculum and beauracracy and we'll lose a large segment of good folks just looking to improve things.

I really want this program to get off the ground guys.. but I'm worried that if y'all take a beaurocratic structured approach to this, you'll kill the fun that this could be, and thus kill off potential membership.  Let's try to meet in the middle, at least in regards to a ABB basic premise.

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast... while I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Seems to me this can be taken as seriously or lightly as one desires. I imagined the general tone will be set on a group by group basis, but the framework laid out looks like it will work pretty well for the varying levels of commitment we’re sure to see.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top